Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,682 members, 7,955,528 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:22 AM

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? - Travel (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? (457012 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany, How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 6:39pm On May 04, 2019
deleven:
I read about Ausbildung or Studium. Do people(Nairaland members) know about this? Is not everyone that can read or study in a university.

Does anyone have idea about how Ausbildung works?
Would you mind enlightening us?

Danke im voraus

Ausbildung is just like formal handwork ...You dont need to sit down in university 247 learning how to paint or to program....Most of it involve learning by seeing, practical stuff.

Also kindly note its 100% in German and you will be paid below minimum wage and most companies pay higher than that, mostly first year is around 700€, 2nd and 3rd year are higher than the intial pay

You cant apply for ausbildung visa from Nigeria.

Ausbildung is not run by universities...its run by companies.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by IchBinBrait(m): 6:41pm On May 04, 2019
Hadampson:

Lol.. Does that mean you can't cook.. Start practicing now bro... It's never too late grin

I just need to learn how to prepare soup...! Would learn it asap. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 6:45pm On May 04, 2019
Some IT skills necessary for side hustle in deutschland

For IT Certification, learn and master the following programming language and get internship

Html

Java

Php

SQL

Lastly, Learn German grin

Cheers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by IchBinBrait(m): 6:45pm On May 04, 2019
erny11:

Am telling you, with Rice and beans am ok. I could count the number of times I took swallow when I was in school.

Same with me. Although it is good to have soup in the fridge cuz it will last for days and would save someone the stress of preparing other kinds of food. With just a bowl of eba, you are good to go! grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 6:47pm On May 04, 2019
IchBinBrait:

I just need to learn how to prepare soup...! Would learn it asap. grin

Gut

Youtube and facebook is your best bet

Search for this group on facebook.... So you think you can cook

Viel Glück chef

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 6:48pm On May 04, 2019
IchBinBrait:

Same with me. Although it is good to have soup in the fridge cuz it will last for days and would save someone the stress of preparing other kinds of food. With just a bowl of eba, you are good to go! grin

Team eba grin

We no dey carry last... Eba no dey waste time... Just boil water and pour gaari inside.... Everywhere go stew one time grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by IchBinBrait(m): 6:49pm On May 04, 2019
erny11:

hehehehe.......Am telling you dem fit put person inside, that bag strong die!

Na so I see am oo, am still waiting to see who will carry tubers of yam go....lol

Well, it's for the BEST sha!

Tubers of yam?? hahaha..

Na DHL go send am go Germo for that person.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 6:55pm On May 04, 2019
Importance of German

Learn German in Nigeria up to before coming, it's cheaper in Nigeria and you have lot of time.

When you get to DE, Bro, you got no time as Semester holidays, when some University offer basic language courses is time for you to work and do holiday job and save money

Without the language, you can still hustle. However, the longtime goal for those that want to stay back should also be taken into consideration. Having the knowledge of the language is a big plus. Though some people are not in the environment where they can learn the language, thus making it cumbersome. Don't worry if you are in this category, you will get along. But for those that have the opportunity; please, try and learn it.The truth of the matter is; in Germany, there are jobs and there are jobs. People in Germany will understand better

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by IchBinBrait(m): 6:55pm On May 04, 2019
ladyb4sure:
One reason why naija sisters run away from naija brothers because they come only for the food, sex and money. They end up claiming oyibo woman is ready to spend hell on them grin Naija brothers I hail oo cheesy

shocked shocked

I'm glad that am different. I don't believe in "hit and run."
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by IchBinBrait(m): 6:58pm On May 04, 2019
Hadampson:

Gut

Youtube and facebook is your best bet

Search for this group on facebook.... So you think you can cook

Viel Glück chef

Danke!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 7:06pm On May 04, 2019
Schwartz experience

I read your post a while ago and I am moved to answer. Let me share a small story. There is a guy who studied electrical and information technology in university of applied sciences, Hamburg. He started coding at the age 10 and started this course in Germany at the age of 19 in his year 3 he got a good full time job and his visa moved from student visa to work from which he will be eligible for permanent residence any time soon. Another Naija guy wheel chair bound, a student of the same course, same success story. The success stories of people reading this course has been reoccurring. Especially if you're really good at coding. Don't trade working menial jobs at the interim for a future glory. Even in the so called big cities, the work mostly available is still menial jobs.

One thing I noticed about Germany, in most places you find yourself is that once you can speak the language you will get something to do. There must be a restaurant were people eat and dishes needed washing, there must be houses that need cleaning, there must be people moving out that need their stuff moved, baby sitting, lawn mowing, gardening etc During holidays you can move in with friends / naija brothers who will take you in for a fee while you work for a substantial amount of money. Holiday jobs in Daimler, Amazon, BMW, factories, production companies, etc. Hard tasking jobs but at least good pay.

If your sole aim is to hustle after euros, do 2 , 3 jobs and send money home then go for big cities; Stuttgart, Munich, Berlin etc but if you wish to get a good well paying and respectable job with the ability to convert your study visa to a permanent stay then go for that elect. & IT course. For others asking about which city to choose, I will give same advice

IT is tough and coding is not a child's play in fact I know people that couldn't weather it they dropped out. But at the end it pays, engineering also. This is just my humble opinion based on experience

You are 100% right as per the language part and IT, my tip to incoming students don't hurry to come,learn German even if your course is in English, don't forget you are planning to establish yourself here so German is needed.
As for work issues, if you have German, you'll definitely get a job.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 7:08pm On May 04, 2019
IchBinBrait:

shocked shocked

I'm glad that am different. I don't believe in "hit and run."

Hmm lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Sprachlos lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by IchBinBrait(m): 7:09pm On May 04, 2019
erny11:

Really? so when they run away from naija brothers where do they run to?
Just asking sha so that people like oga ichbinbait can go and meet them there lol

Lolss.. grin cheesy

B.A funding and learning the language are the main things in my mind now.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 7:09pm On May 04, 2019
IchBinBrait:

Danke!!

Bitte. schön smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Deustchemann(m): 7:17pm On May 04, 2019
DemigodZeus147:

Omoh, no use swallow play with me oh... Some times I go sidon dey reason how I go take survive without swallow in DE cry
I'm on this table too
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 7:20pm On May 04, 2019
Words of advice for newbies in Germany

I believe in hope, I believe in opportunity and I am optimistic! No place on earth is rosie, but with the way things are going in our belove nija, I won't blame a banker who resigns and chooses to pursue a degree and career abroad. But I won't advise anyone to sell landed propert or take loans to come here cos that's gonna make u desperate and put more pressure on u.

Life is more than a pay check! Sometimes we also desire to be in a society and be respected as humans regardless of ur family name and background.

As a student, do not allow ur family back home put pressure of sending money to them on u and also do not paint any picture of having a goldmine in Germany. Cut ur coat according to ur material, do not be in a hurry take out time to search for cheap accommodation. Do not run down ur block account before implementing plan B. As soon as u settle, look for a mini job of atleast 450 euro basis.

life in Germany is all about proper planning. 3 years ago during my BSc program, I had a class mate who was working and and he spent all his savings on flight ticket just to visit Nija. I told him that he was out of his mind. And here are my reasons. U are running to Nija to spend ur summer holidays when other students are staying back to pick up full time jobs to enable them save and work less during school session. He succeeded in visiting Nija, came back broke and was working hard during school session and in the cold winter to meet up. That's ridiculous! As a student, u should plan. There is time for everything, I rather stay back during summer, work full time job save some money that I can fall back on during school sessions. If u work and save during summer, u can conveniently work a mini job during school session and ur studies won't lack.

And my last advice...there are 2 kinds of foreigners in Germany. Those that wanna pursue a career here after studies, and those that wanna return back to Nija to pursue a career after studies. Clearly define the part u belong and chase ur dream.

Good luck my people and God bless all ur efforts!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 7:26pm On May 04, 2019
Useful tips from style2009

My tips to all studying; masters, bsc, make it your aim to secure yourself in Germany before your study ends, improve your german language, intergrate, connect, visit seminars be it in English or German, visit job trade fair even before your course ends and meet connect with recruiters at these job fair (Job messe).

Am not against anyone migrating to another country, when you've not explored all opportunities here.

I am definitely sure you'll still pay that tax one way or another in that country you are running to.

Wetin you dey find go Sokoto dey inside your Sokoto grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 7:30pm On May 04, 2019

From style2009

About the renewal, It's not compulsory to my understanding one must have 8k in his/her block account for the next renewal, a job contract might be sufficient depending on the official you meet there and am a witness to this.(Am relating this to my city/state HH)

Lastly, as a rule, i learnt some years back, i usually avoid going to Auslaenderbehoerde on Mondays,it's like Weekend enjoyment still dey shak them. cool

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 7:35pm On May 04, 2019
How to book hotel reservation in Hamburg

Google Generator hostel Hamburg, its cheaper,central and nice,although you share room with other people

Viel Glück

This is for newbies in DE who is unable to get an accommodation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by DemigodZeus147(m): 7:38pm On May 04, 2019
Deustchemann:

I'm on this table too
grin,my guy my guy...
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 7:46pm On May 04, 2019
Imuhopeful tips

I guess I can speak a little about life in Germany (at least Munich) since I've been here since October. I will make a few headings and speak about them and if anyone wants to know something specific they can ask here and not my inbox so that others will benefit:

1)Education: The study has been fantastic. I'm doing the Geophysics masters at LMU and the professors are very smart. Our math professor at the institute is just 28 years old with his PhD from France. The computing facilities are top notch and the professors have very well cited papers. Examinations are quite tough so you have to brace up when coming here and the grading is also different from Naija. To score a 1.0 here you need 95% and above. In general anything above 2.5 is considered good especially if an institute is doing high quality research.

2) Housing: This is always a big challenge especially for newcomers. Living in the center can be quite expensive but if one is lucky, you can get a cheap place in the center or even if you live out of the center, the U-Bahn and S-Bahn are there to transport you. I advise to check the distance between an apartment and your class before moving in. In any case, read your rental contract before you sign. You are normally allowed to leave an apartment with a 3-month notice. However ensure that your landlord hasn't put any clause that states that you have to stay a minimum number of months. Such a clause is known as "Kündigungsverzicht" which means termination clause. If you are lucky you can also get the Studentenwerk housing; they are cheap, with many students and there's never a dull moment. I suggest that people coming over should bring some extra money in case you have to stay in a youth hostel for a month or so.

3)Transport: The semester ticket covers transport within the city. I don't know if this applies to every single state but here in Bavaria and also in Baden-Wurttemberg it does. It costs us around 150€ and it lasts the whole semester; for example my semester ticket for this semester starts on April 1 and ends by September 30. You can ride all regular forms of transport(bus, train, tram etc) except for high speed trains like the ICE or special purpose buses or trains (you don't need those mostly anyways except you want to travel to another state or country). Also since you may have to buy this ticket once you arrive I suggest you budget some money for this.

4) Student job: It's very possible to get jobs here will studying. I don't know much about hustling but some others on this thread can help with that. However I suggest that once you get here, approach your professors to ask for a HiWi (student assistant) job. The hours are flexible and the pay is fair. Some of my classmates started HiWi's immediately and earned a lot. With a HiWi your can work and learn simultaneously. You can also ask for a job at a bar or as a Au Pair(to take care of a family's kids). In any case my personal suggestion is that don't start to hustle once you get here. The study is very intensive and the gradings are tough so it may be good to focus on the first semester and maybe start to hustle from the holidays. In this case you have to start looking for a job before exam starts so that you can start immediately after exam.

5) People: I've enjoyed every moment here and I look forward to the remaining time. People are mostly nice and are happy to show you the way. Talk to people and be nice and you'll meet many lovely people. If you drink beer then it's a nice way to meet new people. My classmates regularly organise drink nights. If you like clubs you can also enjoy here. There is hardly any violence in the clubs unlike some Naija clubs. I remember a club in Jos where the bouncer almost killed one small guy for reasons no one understood. People smoke a lot of cigarettes too and if you like the plant(erm....weed) wink then you can find dealers here tho it's coded since it's not allowed.

6) Food: I don't really know since I mostly eat bread, spaghetti, dodo, garri and Mensa food. The Mensa is the student canteen and you get the Mensa card to pay for your food. I don't like to cook so I can't tell you much about Naija food. If Cahnellven comes to the thread he can tell you about Naija food. Me, and Eke40seven were at his place to eat Fufu on New Year's grin

7) Babes: There are many tight babes here from various countries. I haven't hit any yet except for making out. If you like to cold approach women then you can get lucky. I remember cold approaching a French girl who was here on vacation but I couldn't log in wink coz she was returning that evening. For the babes on this thread, well, don't worry, guys will approach you(that's our job wink )

8.)African people: There are many Africans here in all society levels, from workers to refugees. I visited a refugee camp and I even met Nigerians there and I wondered why there were Igbo and Yoruba refugees but e no konsyn me In general Africans often ignore each other when they walk past themselves but I think this is normal. It is part of a person's security to not smile at every African person you see simply because you are both black. Sometimes I smile and nod to African people in the train or if I think the person is responsible.

9) German Language: I suggest that you try to learn as much as possible before coming even if your study, like mine, is in English. You can live fine in big cities without German but some hustling may be impossible without German. Don't worry it's only difficult in the beginning. Die Anfänge sind in der Regel schwierig wink

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by erny11: 7:56pm On May 04, 2019
DemigodZeus147:

Omoh, no use swallow play with me oh... Some times I go sidon dey reason how I go take survive without swallow in DE cry

Eya.....then ready carry bag of egusi and ogbono go DE. when you reach there make sure you make friends with those that will carry bag of garri and fufu. Then find one naija sister to add to your team.
Problem solved lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by erny11: 8:14pm On May 04, 2019
IchBinBrait:

Lolss.. grin cheesy

B.A funding and learning the language are the main things in my mind now.

Don't mind me, just kidding lol

We go dey okay las las

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:33pm On May 04, 2019
[quote author=Hadampson post=78104884][/quote]
You are doing a great job bro, especially the experiences of Nigerian students in DE you shared on this thread.
Danke tausend!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by MrsInvisible(f): 8:56pm On May 04, 2019
Hi, I've got some information about apprenticeship in Germany.

https://m.dw.com/cda/en/apprenticeships-go-begging-in-germany/a-19329543

And
https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/content/1478794651750

. If you wish to go for an apprenticeship, you have to apply with companies, government institutions or hospitals etc, depending on the job you want to learn.

It's quite necessary to speak German, at least level A2 i.e B1, since you have to go to school and write exams all in German.

You will receive a monthly payment depending on the Ausbildung you do. It can be any amount from 300 to 1000 euro....
Apprenticeship is possible in almost every job that doesn't request for university education. You can be a mechanic, a cook, a nurse, a salesman. There are many different types of apprenticeship.

After mostly 3 years you have to write final exams to get a certificate. After successful apprenticeship you can get a job with a good pay.

If you can connect with a company from Germany, it's possible to apply for the Visa from Nigeria.

Good luck

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 8:57pm On May 04, 2019
Gaddafithe2nd:

You are doing a great job bro, especially the experiences of Nigerian students in DE you shared on this thread.
Danke tausend!

Bitte schön smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 9:01pm On May 04, 2019
MrsInvisible:
Hi, I've got some information about apprenticeship in Germany.

https://m.dw.com/cda/en/apprenticeships-go-begging-in-germany/a-19329543

And
https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/content/1478794651750

. If you wish to go for an apprenticeship, you have to apply with companies, government institutions or hospitals etc, depending on the job you want to learn.

It's quite necessary to speak German, at least level A2 i.e B1, since you have to go to school and write exams all in German.

You will receive a monthly payment depending on the Ausbildung you do. It can be any amount from 300 to 1000 euro....
Apprenticeship is possible in almost every job that doesn't request for university education. You can be a mechanic, a cook, a nurse, a salesman. There are many different types of apprenticeship.

After mostly 3 years you have to write final exams to get a certificate. After successful apprenticeship you can get a job with a good pay.

If you can connect with a company from Germany, it's possible to apply for the Visa from Nigeria.

Good luck

Thanks Schwester... deleven, new information for you sir smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Deustchemann(m): 9:14pm On May 04, 2019
DemigodZeus147:

grin,my guy my guy...
I sight you powerfully bro.. grin
This food matter ehn.. I no know how I go take survive without pounded yam in 3 months
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by DemigodZeus147(m): 9:14pm On May 04, 2019
erny11:

Eya.....then ready carry bag of egusi and ogbono go DE. when you reach there make sure you make friends with those that will carry bag of garri and fufu. Then find one naija sister to add to your team.
Problem solved lol

Lmao......Danke! grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by DemigodZeus147(m): 9:14pm On May 04, 2019
Deustchemann:

I sight you powerfully bro.. grin
This food matter ehn.. I no know how I go take survive without pounded yam in 3 months

God go do am.... smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Justiceuphold: 9:33pm On May 04, 2019
Thanks to everyone that has taken out time to give us insight on their exepriences overthere...you guys are the best.

I hope you all dont mind, i need differnt peoples opinion on this.

So i am a working class here in Nigeria, with an good pay, but not happy with my job especially as i feel inadequate in the field and it affects my confidence level.

I have always had the desire to go for a masters, but the work has been so demanding that i dont give enough time to my application and i end up not getting admission. I have worked for 4+ years.

This year i got an admission to study Analytical, instrument, measurement and sensor technology. I have a greater Urge to go for this program as i really love the course content and the course itself and its really in line with my bachelors, though different from my present job. And i see it as a course i can fit into and R&D section of most industries.

So here is my question , please for our bros and sis over there, what is your take on this course, do you think i have a good prospect there and also able to get job satisfaction over there.

I am also keen on having a descent place to raise my kids..please is Germany family friendly.

Please this is very important to me..i dont want to move from frying pan to fire.

I will appreciate this.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by heybaby12(f): 9:43pm On May 04, 2019
Hadampson:

The day i would leave Nigeria for Germany, i would make sure i buy 12 packets of Maggi cos e be like say oyibo no dey eat Maggi like that

Maggi n.a. weight oh

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (118) (Reply)

USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / Travelling To Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.