Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,793 members, 7,827,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) (22061 Views)

MTN Foundation Donates Vehicles To Ambode To Help Boost Security In Lagos(Pics) / Photos: Reconstruction Of Okota Road, Isolo Lagos In Progress / Deplorable State Of Okota Road (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by Turbocharged: 9:06am On Jul 09, 2013
Akainzo: I guess this places are also flooded because Fashola is not working or that it is populated by people of that same tribe.

BTW, this pictures are of the flooding in Toronto, Canada as of last night.

Don't you you know the difference between dishes and flashflood.

My friend booked a hotel for me at Okota in may when I arrived the area, I had to abandon the hotel and the money paid and take a keke for N2500 to Festac.

1 Like

Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by deleteme: 9:08am On Jul 09, 2013
Pls You ACN followers should stop misleading people all in the name of defending Fashola. The only known court case in Ago is that of the Indian Residence opposite the Triangulr Plaza and the matter has bin duly settled, which necessitated the demolishing of the said house. The other landlords that went to court has also withdrawn their cases via the promise of the govt for adequate compensation. Every other road construction by every other govt has and will continue to experience court cases but how the govt handle it is very important. The celebrated Ikoyi bridge had a lot of court cases and Fashola went ahead to compensate them adequately. Same as Surulere, Yaba etc.....so why is Ago - Okota different.

1 Like

Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by Akainzo(m): 9:12am On Jul 09, 2013
deleteme: Pls You ACN followers should stop misleading people all in the name of defending Fashola. The only known court case in Ago is that of the Indian Residence opposite the Triangulr Plaza and the matter has bin duly settled, which necessitated the demolishing of the said house. The other landlords that went to court has also withdrawn their cases via the promise of the govt for adequate compensation. Every other road construction by every other govt has and will continue to experience court cases but how the govt handle it is very important. The celebrated Ikoyi bridge had a lot of court cases and Fashola went ahead to compensate them adequately. Same as Surulere, Yaba etc.....so why is Ago - Okota different.

Since all this roads that you mentioned had issues yet government went ahead and paid compensation, have you then pondered for a while, why did this get to the courts? Why did the issues affecting this particular road have to get to this extent?

Spare a moment to think about this things, then maybe, we can start to understand the issues better.
Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by 1ndidi2(f): 9:22am On Jul 09, 2013
Turbocharged:

Which network?

grin

Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by mbulela: 9:37am On Jul 09, 2013
Tony Spike:

You still don't get it. That road was not strategically built right from the 80's. As it is now, Ago-Okota Way should be a mini high-way, and not the small width design it has now. Most of the houses being demolished have their C of O's as far back as the early 80's. If only the government back in the early 80's had projected the crazy congestion that'll be encountered in the future, Fashola wouldn't need to demolish any structure today. Ago only opened up after FESTAC was built in 1977; guess what? FESTAC is experiencing the same decay too. Lagos wasn't built for the population she is now experiencing. Like Shymexx said, more people need to leave Lagos and I agree.

When I started living in Ago around 1995, it was a very quiet, decent and friendly area. Today, it is fast becoming a hell-hole with high population. The type of recent buildings at Ago now actually reminds of Upper Iweka area in Onitsha. So, strategic planning is the issue here...
you are not saying anything different from what i have been saying.
I was actually responding to a blogger who said the problem was due to houses built close to the road, hence i was asking who approved the houses in the first place.
Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by mbulela: 9:46am On Jul 09, 2013
Tony Spike:

Bro, that court case was only successfully completed around September/October 2012 and not 2011. I've lived in Ago since 18 yrs and I happen to know one of the landlords involved in that Enoma case. Well, the truth about this road is that it was meant to be wider like the Ago-Amuwo road. Unfortunately, the cost of projected demolitions sky-rocketed and LASG has to reduce the road width. Even at that, certain trade-offs had to be made between Taiwo and Enoma B/stops. I think the heavy traffic on the road spurred LASG to split the constructiion of the busy Ago Junction-Mobile end into two. The second part of the work are the pictures the OP put up here. I'm not sure of the status at the moment, I must confess.

I personally think Ago is too congested at the moment and more people are still moving in. With the ongoing Oshodi-Apapa expressway construction and the recently commissioned Cele-Itire bridge, that road is more busier than ever. Ago-Okota was not initially built for the level of traffic it's experiencing now. I believe the way forward is that the inner roads should be completely tarred, this will help reduce the pressure on Ago-Okota road. My opinion though...
you have a point about inner roads. that might be a way out. the issue of over population is no longer an excuse as their is little that can be done about that. Honey will forever attract bees. The next move should be making the population pay for infrastructure they can see. I also don't buy this court case excuse because i have listed several road projects that are in sorry states of disrepair and some have been on going for over 5 years. I believe that Fashola is trying but i believe a lot more needs to be done. Lagosians really need to shine their eyes when choosing the next governor because if they get anyone less capable than BRF, the state will sink.

Those who keep seeing an ethnic slant to the Okota road issue have not been able to address the several bad roads that have been listed on this thread. Does BRF hate yorubas too? this thing is not ethnic abeg. Lagos needs special treatment in the allocation formula and the LG chairmen are often useless. Even to manage waste is an issue for them. talkless of tarring inner city roads. They are a major problem to governance in Lagos state.
Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by byteem: 9:47am On Jul 09, 2013
well i live in ago , precisly the estate right in front of the worst section of the road . its a nice ambience to live in.. i love my house, spacious and very airy.. you could call it a country home.. but the roads are horrible..initially it was the extreme mass of water stuck n the road with no where to go.. main problem ...lack of drainage channels..so we the residents, met and decided to contribute money to fix the drainage at least .. we wanted to pay CECC ourselves so that they would come and dig drainage channels connecting same to the canal.. they have the equipments on site just sufficient mobilization was needed...we were ready to tax ourselves ..but guess what .. on approaching the local government for consent to fix our own road .we were told we had to pay 10m to the chairman before we residents could carry out any road fixing projects..

ook that was it...so all residents decided to pull their weight .. the few that had fashola's contact called and reported. he received several complains and few insults directly and indirectly from residents ... when the noise became too much ... they awarded a contract of 90,000,000 just to fill up the road with stones .. that would have taken care of the drainage problem but welcome to fasholamania .. the road is better now at least now we dnt have to contend with mass water now .. just heavy rock that can rip ones tire on every turn..

then with recourse to CECC slow pace of construction . the truth is those guys have what it takes to finish the entire ago palace project in six months or even less ..however they now work " pay as you go " because the govt owes them enormous bills over long periods of time.even when payment has been approved, someone takes the money and keeps it in a fixed account.. so the chinese guys are wiser .. now they work a little wait to get paid.. then work some more and wait to get paid ..these process oviously takes time..that the real cause of the slow pace of work.. not court cases or anything..

morover why spread the award of a road less the 20 kilometers over three seperate contarcts..first you award .. century to ago rounabout.. play with that for 3 years and then award century to femi-kila .. ..and then wait again before awarding last bustop to AP..

Truth is ACN is horrible and quite wasteful .. but what alternative do lagosians have ..at least they eat with one hand and work with the other , unlike some others like PDP, who eat with both hands and feet( messy eaters)... in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.. love him or hate him fashola remains the one eyed king for now.

as for me am leaving ago palace once my rent expires...

3 Likes

Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by mbulela: 11:09am On Jul 09, 2013
byteem:

Truth is ACN is horrible and quite wasteful .. but what alternative do lagosians have ..at least they eat with one hand and work with the other , unlike some others like PDP, who eat with both hands and feet( messy eaters)... in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.. love him or hate him fashola remains the one eyed king for now.

as for me am leaving ago palace once my rent expires...
very poignant view. The ACN fan boys and girls never want to see any evil nor hear any evil. In their eyes and ears It can't get better than this. If you dare raise objections they resort to insults.

1 Like

Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by Reference(m): 11:33am On Jul 09, 2013
What are we talking about. Is the high population not as a result of industrialization and commercial activities from which the state government attracts huge allocations from the centre and generates huge incomes from taxes. If the population goes so will the revenue. Lagos has no natural resources other than its population. What is happening like the case with Nigeria in general is a paucity of ideas on how to exploit this resource. Those calling for population reduction are unknowingly making the state more dependent on federal funds. Can this be a good thing in the long run, I think not.

2 Likes

Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by mbulela: 12:54pm On Jul 09, 2013
Reference: What are we talking about. Is the high population not as a result of industrialization and commercial activities from which the state government attracts huge allocations from the centre and generates huge incomes from taxes. If the population goes so will the revenue. Lagos has no natural resources other than its population. What is happening like the case with Nigeria in general is a paucity of ideas on how to exploit this resource. Those calling for population reduction are unknowingly making the state more dependent on federal funds. Can this be a good thing in the long run, I think not.
I don't think you can accuse Fashola of paucity of ideas. I think execution of the ideas might be the snag not forgetting the political implications of these unpopular ideas.
Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by TonySpike: 1:50pm On Jul 09, 2013
Reference: What are we talking about. Is the high population not as a result of industrialization and commercial activities from which the state government attracts huge allocations from the centre and generates huge incomes from taxes. If the population goes so will the revenue. Lagos has no natural resources other than its population.

At the bolded, this is a valid economic theory in a real society. I am uncertain the huge population in Lagos is contributing massively to revenue returns; I may be wrong though. A part of the massive population in Lagos work in the informal sector, which is largely unregulated and unchecked. While the rest of this population are dependent population, without any viable job. The truth is that Lagos is bearing the burden of about 5 Nigerian states, which quite weighty. Therefore, it is only logical to say that the rate of development will be much more slower. Many areas in Lagos, including this Ago-Okota area grew massively between 1999 and 2005, when it was even difficult for the government to provide/repair infrastructures at traditional areas like Mushin, Oshodi, Ikeja e.t.c. Lagos grew faster than the government could handle. Depopulation will go a long way in spreading this burden that is on LASG...

1 Like

Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by mbulela: 3:19pm On Jul 09, 2013
Tony Spike:

At the bolded, this is a valid economic theory in a real society. I am uncertain the huge population in Lagos is contributing massively to revenue returns; I may be wrong though. A part of the massive population in Lagos work in the informal sector, which is largely unregulated and unchecked. While the rest of this population are dependent population, without any viable job. The truth is that Lagos is bearing the burden of about 5 Nigerian states, which quite weighty. Therefore, it is only logical to say that the rate of development will be much more slower. Many areas in Lagos, including this Ago-Okota area grew massively between 1999 and 2005, when it was even difficult for the government to provide/repair infrastructures at traditional areas like Mushin, Oshodi, Ikeja e.t.c. Lagos grew faster than the government could handle. Depopulation will go a long way in spreading this burden that is on LASG...
kindly provide two feasible means of depopulation?
Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by TonySpike: 4:47pm On Jul 09, 2013
mbulela:
kindly provide two feasible means of depopulation?

There is only one natural route to depopulation - let other governors make their states attractive for investors. If 75% of the governors (past and present) in Nigeria have been working tirelessly, I'm sure we won't be having the unnecessary population burden on Lagos today. This is my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by mbulela: 4:56pm On Jul 09, 2013
Tony Spike:

There is only one natural route to depopulation - let other governors make their states attractive for investors. If 75% of the governors (past and present) in Nigeria have been working tirelessly, I'm sure we won't be having the unnecessary population burden on Lagos today. This is my opinion.
bro, i asked for a feasible option that can be executed by Fashola.
so we should continue waiting until others make their states attractive to investors? That might be after rapture.
Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by micfoley: 12:05am On Jul 10, 2013
I passed this road last yr specifically in May and was shocked with what I saw. Cant believe its still this bad till now!
Re: Terrible State Of Ago-Okota Road In Lagos (Pics) by redsun(m): 12:21am On Jul 10, 2013
This road has always been terrible.It never seems to change,same shape it was ten years ago is still the same today.It stretches all the way like this to nnpc depot at ejigbo,down to tb's synagoguoe in ikotu.Two financial institutions where millions of dollars change hands on regular basics,yet,there main link road is unmotorable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Teju Babyface Tribute To Tunji Okusanya Of MIC / Worldwide Google Searches For Bola Tinubu Went 200% Times Higher- UberFacts / PDP Plotted Igbo Hate Song - APC Chairman, Oyegun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.