Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,135 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! (1380 Views)

Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria / US Warns Citizens In Nigeria After Libya Attack / Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by darren20(m): 1:01pm On May 19, 2008
Hi All,
I will be visiting Nigeria after 17years and i'm really scared!with all the news about armed robberies,corruption etc,though I've actually prepare myself,but I still need an advice from Nigerians on what to do,how to behave etc,First and foremost i'm not the type that offers bribe,I intend to finally relocate back home within the next 4yrs,and I'm on like fact finding mission as regard establishing an industry at home,I heard one must offer bribe to policemen even if you did not commit an offence,and that you might be locked up if you refuse,an example was a lagos state police commissioner in mufti,that was arrested and was about to be locked up for refusing to give bribe,I heard that even Efcc ask for bribe,and that the airport immigration etc are not spared.I've over the years realize that there's actually no place like home,but inthis current scenario,how can i keep myself?What do i do to protect myself even as the police are not reliable?
Please do advice?
Thanks.
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by ty4real(m): 4:15pm On May 20, 2008
darren20:

Hi All,
I will be visiting Nigeria after 17years and i'm really scared!with all the news about armed robberies,corruption etc,though I've actually prepare myself,but I still need an advice from Nigerians on what to do,how to behave etc,First and foremost i'm not the type that offers bribe,I intend to finally relocate back home within the next 4yrs,and I'm on like fact finding mission as regard establishing an industry at home,I heard one must offer bribe to policemen even if you did not commit an offence,and that you might be locked up if you refuse,an example was a lagos state police commissioner in mufti,that was arrested and was about to be locked up for refusing to give bribe,I heard that even Efcc ask for bribe,and that the airport immigration etc are not spared.I've over the years realize that there's actually no place like home,but inthis current scenario,how can i keep myself?What do i do to protect myself even as the police are not reliable?
Please do advice?
Thanks.

Just make sure you work through your family that have been living in Nigera to be on the safe side.
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by Florency(m): 4:26pm On May 20, 2008
Oh dont come back here man, Dis place is HELL. Everyone have HIV and living like dogs. All government are corupt. Obj (Da president) just arrested for billions fraud and everyone here just like him. If you have got away from here stay there it is not safe now. The Lord has smighted all that are here for all our scams and frauds and the rest of the world think we are a bunch of savages who only know how to thieve. I think they are right. FLORENCY
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by Busta(f): 4:28pm On May 20, 2008
Florency:

Oh don't come back here man, Dis place is HELL. Everyone have HIV and living like dogs. All government are corupt. Obj (Da president) just arrested for billions fraud and everyone here just like him. If you have got away from here stay there it is not safe now. The Lord has smighted all that are here for all our scams and frauds and the rest of the world think we are a bunch of savages who only know how to thieve. I think they are right. FLORENCY

Haha . . . why u trying to scare the guy away now?
after all . . all he heard is true to soem extent.
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by idupaul: 4:35pm On May 20, 2008
What do i do to protect myself even as the police are not reliable?

First u will need some jazz for protection, U will also need to pack some heat preferably an assault rifle, some kevlar for your chest, and lest I forget a bulletproof whip for ur movement grin just joking it aint dat bad u might be here and not even see robbery, some folks have spent many years in Lagos and never seen robbery happen, it aint dat bad trust me.
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by ty4real(m): 5:35pm On May 20, 2008
@Topic,
Its good you want to come back and invest in your country after all the money you have made,just be very careful and get a close and trust worthy family member to put you through readjusting to the 9ja system,cause 17years is a long time and I think yu shud start from coming over for short visit but if you back like that,you go quench oo,to survive in 9ja you ve got to be tough,rugged and smart and of course get God.
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by lucabrasi(m): 10:58pm On May 20, 2008
ill suggest that fist like someone commented you should do everything through your family,and even at that make sure yoou dont trust anybody implicitly, try them with small amounts of money first and always make sure u dont let anyone know what you r woth or that u have a lot of money always haggle the price of every single thing and always question everything that has to do with money.
also ill advice you to get a job first at least for the first 6 to 12 months,not because you need the money but it will keep you busy and keep jackals and hangers on away from you,it will let you learn a lot about nigeria,you will make friends and ur capital can generate some funds for you in a fixed deposit before you decide what to do,i have an uncle who s spent 22 years in the states and thats what he did and he actually left the job after 7 months but by them he hardly touched his money during that time,he didnt need to buy a car cause he sent his 4x4 from the states and he didnt need to buy furniture and house old stuffs as he shipped the ones in his house, try not to trust anybody at all with money and always dress down,dont display with money and if ppl dont know u just came back dont volunteer,if u have to then simply you have been out of nigeria,it might be ghana,sierra leone,gambia
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by brownbonno(m): 12:12am On May 21, 2008
lucabrasi:

ill suggest that fist like someone commented you should do everything through your family,and even at that make sure yoou don't trust anybody implicitly, try them with small amounts of money first and always make sure u don't let anyone know what you r woth or that u have a lot of money always haggle the price of every single thing and always question everything that has to do with money.
also ill advice you to get a job first at least for the first 6 to 12 months,not because you need the money but it will keep you busy and keep jackals and hangers on away from you,it will let you learn a lot about nigeria,you will make friends and your capital can generate some funds for you in a fixed deposit before you decide what to do,i have an uncle who s spent 22 years in the states and thats what he did and he actually left the job after 7 months but by them he hardly touched his money during that time,he didnt need to buy a car cause he sent his 4x4 from the states and he didnt need to buy furniture and house old stuffs as he shipped the ones in his house, try not to trust anybody at all with money and always dress down,don't display with money and if people don't know u just came back don't volunteer,if u have to then simply you have been out of nigeria,it might be ghana,sierra leone,gambia

Good advise.
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by Nobody: 2:03am On May 21, 2008
Pray, trust God and come with lots of mosquito nets.
They'll come in handy.
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by ayomifull(f): 11:23am On May 22, 2008
lucabrasi:

ill suggest that fist like someone commented you should do everything through your family,and even at that make sure yoou don't trust anybody implicitly, try them with small amounts of money first and always make sure u don't let anyone know what you r woth or that u have a lot of money always haggle the price of every single thing and always question everything that has to do with money.
also ill advice you to get a job first at least for the first 6 to 12 months,not because you need the money but it will keep you busy and keep jackals and hangers on away from you,it will let you learn a lot about nigeria,you will make friends and your capital can generate some funds for you in a fixed deposit before you decide what to do,i have an uncle who s spent 22 years in the states and thats what he did and he actually left the job after 7 months but by them he hardly touched his money during that time,he didnt need to buy a car cause he sent his 4x4 from the states and he didnt need to buy furniture and house old stuffs as he shipped the ones in his house, try not to trust anybody at all with money and always dress down,don't display with money and if people don't know u just came back don't volunteer,if u have to then simply you have been out of nigeria,it might be ghana,sierra leone,gambia

You really dont need more than this very sensible advise.

, em em em, you know how cold this place is, coping with heat at night will drive you crazy so be sure you can use your generator all night, and take some water under O'Connel bridge along lol
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by Nobody: 9:36am On Jul 23, 2008
pls go thru your family o. its only a bit risky for a first timer or anyone who doesnt have any contact here.
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by vikiviko(m): 9:44am On Jul 23, 2008
Returning to settle in Nigeria is a brave decision. Once it has been made, there are a few things to put in place to make your homecoming experience a successful one.

1. First, you have to be determined with a capital 'D' for your plan to happen as many homecoming aspirants are simply that - 'homecoming aspirants'. Many change their minds before even embarking on the journey. Some came and changed their minds because of the heat, traffic, electricity problems, or just because of their inability to cope with the ways of the people. So you just have to be determined for your plan not to be short-circuited.

2. There is a good argument for testing the waters for a period of time to avoid the problem enunciated above. Visiting home once or twice a year before taking the plunge will prepare you for the culture shock and all other shocks.

3. Visiting on holiday is a different ball game from settling in Nigeria. So prepare! prepare! and prepare! Don't assume that things are as easy as they look. In any case, wherever your holiday destination may be, visiting a place is different from living in a place.

4. You have to give serious thought to what to do business wise. Don't be fooled, Nigeria is becoming sophisticated daily and Nigerians are not dazzled by just anything because it comes from the West. Having said that, there are huge potentials practically in every aspect of the nation given that we are a developing country. These include property development, civil-structural engineering, medicine, human resource, large scale farming, telecommunications, teaching, food technology and of course information technology. Money is not free in Nigeria. Not everything sells. But whatever does will catch like wildfire. However be ready to be one step ahead as anything you do will be quickly copied.

5. Even with a very good business plan, you have to be patient and determined. There are many things that may conspire to stifle your plans. Did you get me? Be patient with the way people do business. You may be kept waiting, be patient. You may encounter missed appointments, be patient. Be patient but determined.

6. You need a good car. Apart from the fact that a car is a practical necessity, in Nigeria, a good car is a business necessity. My mother in law once told me that when your business host decides to see you to the door, it is possible that he wants to have a glimpse of your car. This may sway his decision on whether to do business with you or not.

What I have experienced is that a good car literally opens the gate to company premises and can secure a good car parking space. Even the police put themselves in check when they see a good car.

In the early days, I often went around in hired taxis. I once went for an important meeting at the premises of a large organisation. On that occasion, I had this very old red golf taxi. The driver lived locally and I use him often. Although he charges an arm and a leg, he was full of humour and has a positive outlook on life.

I arrived for my appointment with less than five minutes to spare but on the other side of the road. I decided to come out of the car and cross the road whilst he navigates the traffic and turn to wait for me. I informed the security guard that the car that brought me was on its way and should be allowed to park, to which he obliged. As I was about to enter the building, I noticed the driver had somehow managed to turn and was approaching the gate, I quickly dashed back to inform the guard. He did a head-to-toe survey of me, looked at the car and politely informed me that they do not allow this type of car in their premises.

7. You need settling mentors. You may need a friend or family mentor to help smoothen your settling in Nigeria. A very good friend provided a vehicle for us when available, shared hers with us sometimes to her hurt and often drove us home late at night. Their house was a place to chill, eat and plan. We are hugely indebted to her and her family.

We also had other people like my uncle and his wife who generously allowed us the exclusive use of their exquisitely furnished home. We felt we were living in London half the time. And also to a fantastic gentleman who repeatedly gave us work and office premises. These people cushioned the impact of our homecoming experience and we are grateful to them. Got the gist, you need a mentor
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by orobski(m): 9:54am On Jul 23, 2008
Bros,Naija is not as bad as they say Just be careful and ensure u take to useful advise the patriotic naijas ve given u .Dont mind those bad mouthed pple they c nothing good in their own ve they seen Americans degrading God's own country before.Wishing u best of luck as u plan of doing the best
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by landis(m): 11:27am On Jul 23, 2008
6. You need a good car. Apart from the fact that a car is a practical necessity, in Nigeria, a good car is a business necessity. My mother in law once told me that when your business host decides to see you to the door, it is possible that he wants to have a glimpse of your car. This may sway his decision on whether to do business with you or not.

What I have experienced is that a good car literally opens the gate to company premises and can secure a good car parking space. Even the police put themselves in check when they see a good car.

In the early days, I often went around in hired taxis. I once went for an important meeting at the premises of a large organisation. On that occasion, I had this very old red golf taxi. The driver lived locally and I use him often. Although he charges an arm and a leg, he was full of humour and has a positive outlook on life.

I arrived for my appointment with less than five minutes to spare but on the other side of the road. I decided to come out of the car and cross the road whilst he navigates the traffic and turn to wait for me. I informed the security guard that the car that brought me was on its way and should be allowed to park, to which he obliged. As I was about to enter the building, I noticed the driver had somehow managed to turn and was approaching the gate, I quickly dashed back to inform the guard. He did a head-to-toe survey of me, looked at the car and politely informed me that they do not allow this type of car in their premises.

very interesting. No wonder, armed robber, corruption and craze for everyone to make it BIG still high in Nigeria.
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by ayomifull(f): 12:19pm On Jul 25, 2008
landis:

very interesting. No wonder, armed robber, corruption and craze for everyone to make it BIG still high in Nigeria.

U can say that again
Re: Visiting Nigeria After 17years,please Advice! by laralash: 8:47pm On Jul 25, 2008
Heed Brownbonno's advise. I know someone who moved back with about £140k in tow, she came back to London in less than 1 year with nothing to show for it having been swindled by not just alleged friends but family as well. She's back to the drawing board in London sad, thankfully she works in a field where high salaries are paid. Just be vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv careful who ask for pointers in Nig.

(1) (Reply)

Swedish Admission Hanging, Anybody Experienced This Before: / 9jahotels.com: Nigeria's Online Hotelbooking Portal. / Nigerians In South Cyprus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.