Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,113 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport (9361 Views)

Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria / Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria / Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by donne4real(m): 2:49pm On Feb 14, 2008
I am a dual citizen with both the Nigerian and US passport. I intend to visit Nigeria and I havent traveled in a looong time.
Will I need to get a visa or can I just present both passports at the airport?
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by Ladytemi(f): 6:45pm On Feb 17, 2008
I believe what most people with dual passports do is that they leave here with their American passport and use their Nigerian passport to get through customs in Nigeria. If you use your American passport then you have to get a Nigerian visa and that is a very frustrating task and I know that from experience, finally got my first Nigerian passport last year.
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by almondjoy(f): 6:10am On Feb 18, 2008
donne4real:

I am a dual citizen with both the Nigerian and US passport. I intend to visit Nigeria and I havent traveled in a looong time.
Will I need to get a visa or can I just present both passports at the airport?

You MUST present[b] both [/b] passports at the US international airport at departure and present[b] both [/b] at MMA on arrival and departure too. Just to track your legitmacy and ties to both countries for security purposes.

You do not need to get a visa if you have a valid Nigerian passport.  Please make sure they are not expired.  Had a couple of people a know who actually showed up at the international airports here only to be turned back because one or both passports had expired, shocked  They were turned back of course and fined to get their tickets re-issued.

One more thing. Make absolutely sure the name on your ticket matches the name on all your passports perfectly without any discrepancies. Those ticketing agents will give you hell, especially for females with maiden names--make sure you carry a copy of your marriage certificates when ever you are traveling out of the country to justify your different name usuage in different passports. You will miss that flight if any discrepancies are found and you do not have the required documents to back up your stories. kiss

Goodluck and enjoy your visit! kiss
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by Dreloaded(f): 6:15am On Feb 18, 2008
One is better getting a visa over renewing a Nigerian passport. Those passports expire after like 3 yrs as opposed to US passports that are 15 years

Greedy people. angry

1 Like

Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by almondjoy(f): 6:21am On Feb 18, 2008
D-reloaded:

One is better getting a visa over renewing a Nigerian passport. Those passports expire after like 3 years as opposed to US passports that are 15 years
Greedy people. angry

Which countries are you referring to ma dear? cheesy  3 years?  15 years?  Are you a diplomat of Miriam Makeba's status? cheesy

Oh girl, which one you dey sef?  The last time a checked ALL passports regardless of nationality had a lifespan of 10 years--no exceptions.

A Nigerian passport need to be renewed every 5 years and re-issued every 10 years.  An American passport is good for 10 years.

Did the laws change? undecided
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by Dreloaded(f): 6:24am On Feb 18, 2008
Lol I was exaggerating obviously but the last time I renewed my Nigerian passport, it only lasted for like 5 years. Im not sure of the new one though. My dad told me they have new ones now, not sue about those, point still remains that they expired earlier than American passports which is annoying.

Nigerian House here is so irritating.
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by almondjoy(f): 6:27am On Feb 18, 2008
. . . . .And why would a want to spend $120-$150 getting a visa on an American passport when a can get a brand new Nigerian passport in Nigeria for like 15,000Naira? undecided

Besides you never know what circumstances would prevent you from getting a visa on your Nigerian passport.  It is only wise to make sure your Nigerian passport is valid at all times. kiss

Especially if you need to trick awon Al-Qeada them that you are not an American by any standards on any hijacked flights! tongue
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by almondjoy(f): 6:34am On Feb 18, 2008
D-reloaded:

Lol I was exaggerating obviously but the last time I renewed my Nigerian passport, it only lasted for like 5 years. I'm not sure of the new one though.

My dad told me they have new ones now, not sue about those, point still remains that they expired earlier than American passports which is annoying.

Nigerian House here is so irritating.

A got scared there for a minute. Of course renewals are every 5 years and re-issues are every 10years.  So darling, the next time you go to do your Nigerian passpost thingy--you will be getting a brand new passport--for another 10 years. cheesy

Let me advice you dearly.  The last thing you want to do is renew your Nigerian passport in America.  Those people eeeeeeehn?  Sorry excuse for passport officials.  All of them wear bathroom slippers to work with some nappy hair, eating at the desk in plain view of clients. shocked Very unprofessional. Lord help you if they do not misplace your passport. Now some people have been lucky and some have been very unfortunate.  The offices are just like the ones in Nigeria---austerity inscribed all over them.  The only sad thing is that they are so out of place in the civilized environment they are located in. embarassed

So I prefer to do it in Nigeria even if a have 1 year left.  The environment fits the behaviour of the people and in ma opinion the ones in Nigeria are more efficient--I was impressed.  No bribe? shocked Nothing lak "he is not on seat". Or "our paper has finished" Or "the machine is experiencing breakdown". cheesy
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by Dreloaded(f): 6:36am On Feb 18, 2008
hahah and yea Im sure they'll check passports before they blow themselves up tongue

almondjoy:

The only sad thing is that they are so out of place in the civilized environment they are located in. embarassed

Aint that the truth
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by almondjoy(f): 6:42am On Feb 18, 2008
D-reloaded:

hahah and yea I'm sure they'll check passports before they blow themselves up tongue

Aint that the truth

As long as it is an American passport me dear--the blood is gold! grin  Please let them wait for me to disembark or jump out the window, before they blow themselves up ooooooooooooooh, just in time to say a quick "Hail Mary" before I go meet God or Devil whichever is ma fate. grin

Off to bed ma dear, off tomorrow with a lot of cleaning to do after wasting ma whole weekend on Nairaland of course. cheesy

Been a pleasure.  Always good chatting with you online!

Peace out love!  Sleep tight! wink

Keep that "oziomatv" in switch off mode not even sleep mode! cheesy
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by Dreloaded(f): 6:56am On Feb 18, 2008
lmao I will

and same to you, have a great night kiss
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by omega25red(m): 7:06pm On Feb 18, 2008
i recently became a US citizen and during the ceremony they said that the US no longer recognizes dual citizenship for people who became citizens since i think 1992 i dont know check the department of state web page so if i were you just get the visa to Nigeria and save your self the hassle. I would also take my Nigerian passport with me so that when i pass the immigration box i go dey act like say na my Naija passport i bring come home
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by almondjoy(f): 9:13pm On Feb 18, 2008
omega25red:

i recently became a US citizen and during the ceremony they said that the[b] US no longer recognizes dual citizenship for people who became citizens since i think 1992 [/b] i don't know check the department of state web page so if i were you just get the visa to Nigeria and save your self the hassle. I would also take my Nigerian passport with me so that when i pass the immigration box i go dey act like say na my Naija passport i bring come home

Became a citizen in 2001. Never had a problem. Been to Nigeria like 6 times since then. Both passports still remain valid in US and Nigeria.
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by Dreloaded(f): 9:15pm On Feb 18, 2008
lol @ ceremony
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by almondjoy(f): 7:36am On Feb 19, 2008
D-reloaded:

lol @ ceremony

What is funny about "ceremony"? cheesy

There is no poster called "ceremony" here naaaaaaaa. tongue
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by Bossman(m): 9:47pm On Feb 19, 2008
OP, as alimondjoy said, you are better off taking a Valid Nigerian passport with you rather than trying to get a visa on your American passport. If you passport will be needing renewal, you better get a head start. Had to renew mine in 2006 before an October 06 trip to Lagos. I followed all the instruction on the American Embassy's website and chose to send it to the Atlanta office. I did so in March, way ahead of time you would think, since the processing time was supposed to be 2 weeks.

After about a month of not hearing anything, I decided to give them a call. Then I was informed that the passport machine has not been functioning for about 2 months. And they did not have the common sense of posting something on their out-dated website. I called there several times, each time with a different answer. They actually had to fly the folks to fix the machines (the Washington DC embassy's was broken too) in from Germany. The idiot even suggested that he can send my passport back to me in my prepaid envelope, so that I can send it to the NY office. Talking about complete inefficiency. What's wrong with they sending the passports to NY, or getting someone in the US to fix the machines? Anyway I got my passport back around Late August. Bottom line, if you plan on dealing with the Nigerian embassy, give yourself a lot of time, and get ahead of the ball game!
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by Ivvie: 7:43am On Feb 20, 2008
|
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by Ivvie: 7:47am On Feb 20, 2008
|
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by komekn(m): 4:39pm On Feb 20, 2008
Most flights to Nigeria from the USA transit through Europe, it may save you time and hassle. Just stop off at London, Nigeria High commission, you should get it in a day, well every time i have gone its been done same day.
I am sure every Nigerian has friend or relatives in London and if you don't there a million Christian brothers and sisters, so stop off at Redeemed, Winners, Deeper Life, Kingsway,etc, etc. and I'm sure someone will help you with information or just check out the web site and call high commission.
My experience has been that they are very helpful and polite but then again i am blessed and highly favoured of the Lord but you might be too also, so no problem.
Remember US passport holders require no visa to the UK ( 1st cousins and all that), see address below. grin

Nigeria House
9 Northumberland Av, London, WC2N 5BX
020 78391244
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by omega25red(m): 5:11pm On Feb 20, 2008
i hope which ever route you choose to travel to Nigeria you would come back to update us so we all could know
D-reloaded:

lol @ ceremony

@ D-reloaded i dont know exactly what's funny about the word ceremony but this is what happenes when you go for your citizenship theuy have a "ceremony" just like when you graduated from high school they had a graduation ceremony fill me in on the joke
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by almondjoy(f): 8:47am On Feb 21, 2008
Ivvie:

This is so untrue! You only present one. When you arrive at Lagos, you present only your Nigerian passport. When you get off Africa, the rest is your United States passport. They barely harrass you as Nigerians claim. If you present the two, you might have one of your Nigerian passport seized. Never display both passports especially in Europe.

I don't know about Europe.

I just went in and out within the past 3 months and presented both when asked both in Nigeria and here in the US.  No one seized any of the passports.  I guess it depends on who is doing the asking--via random interrogation.  Sometimes you have to present one, and sometimes both.  Who knows why? undecided

Ivvie:

That is true, after the gulf war. I don't know how Nigerians do it but they do. You forego one for the other. If you have to go to Lagos, get a Visa. There is no guarantee that you'd be approved visa. They waste your time.

It is not necessary to get a visa when you have a valid Nigerian passport. You cannot get to Nigeria without a visa on your American passport. No questions asked if you have your valid Nigerian passport. Nigerians do not do anything.  Dual citizenship is ok with Nigeria and the US.  I cannot speak for Europe.
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by buzzgonz(m): 3:26pm On Feb 21, 2008
How can one get two nationality passport?
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by omega25red(m): 6:25pm On Feb 21, 2008
buzzgonz:

How can one get two nationality passport?

why are you hijacking someone else's post why don't you start your own

ok i feel better now. Well you have to attain permanent residence in the country you want their passport (dont ask how i got mine) but which ever country it is you plan on you might have to marry someone or hope to win a lottery if they have one or with the power of the almighty God your application might be approved just because you apply
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by buzzgonz(m): 7:40pm On Feb 21, 2008
sorry to ask . . .what's your problem ?
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by almondjoy(f): 8:39pm On Feb 21, 2008
he he he

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

It most be the time of the month day.
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by buzzgonz(m): 9:16pm On Feb 21, 2008
Omoge see me see wahala, some people no dey ever mind their business. undecided

BTW:
Koyo, Woye? cheesy
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by almondjoy(f): 11:22am On Feb 22, 2008
Na Nairaland fever naaaaaa. cheesy

Oyeseee! kiss
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by princeonx: 8:46pm On Feb 22, 2008
Our problem in Nigeria is that we too do even the one wey them no send us!

When you come back to the US all they need is your American passport as evidence for citizenship! they only ask for your Nigerian passport if you have just your green card or if you're on a visa.

Same for Nigeria, they have no business with your American passport! (Visa or no visa, green card or no green card, citizen or not is not their job) I mistakenly gave one my American passport last Dec. at MMA, you need to see the way this guy was turning this passport from side to side, raised it agaist the light and all that! kai I was force to snatch it from his hand. He claimed he's doing his job eventhough I know he can't tell a real or fake US passport.

@poster: once you have a valid nigerian passport, you'll be fine.

And if I may ask what kind of nigerian visa is morethan the NIGERIAN PASSPORT itself? una go kill person with advice oh! abi you fit tell an American to get a US visa on any passport if/while he has a valid American passport?
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by almondjoy(f): 10:35pm On Feb 22, 2008
the nigerian visa is for the american passport!--if you do not have a valid nigerian passport.

Duhhh!
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by princeonx: 12:12am On Feb 23, 2008
And who told you that I dont know?

All I'm saying is why even talk of Nigerian Visa (on an American passport) while the traveler has a Nigerian passport!
All he need to do is make sure its valid. I realy don't think I know any Nigerian that has a Nigerian valid passport that talk of visa so why advicing him to go get a visa? abi him own diff?

no be only duuuuhhhh na winduuuuhhhhh
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by Ivvie: 1:05am On Feb 26, 2008
|
Re: Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport by nalijah07(f): 6:55pm On Feb 29, 2008
What is the benefit of having a dual passport?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Get A Visa To Japan / Arik Air - Passenger Reviews! / Need List Of Visa Free Countries In Europe And Asia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.