Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,696 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja (15274 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan At US Presidential Precinct - Photos / Pictures Of Military Hard-wares At The Army Day Celebration 2013 / Nigerian Army Day Celebration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 5:49pm On Jul 09, 2013
Sir James Robertson (Governor General and Commander in Chief) & Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa (Prime Minister). Oct 1st 1960

Note: Sir James was never in the armed forces.
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 5:52pm On Jul 09, 2013
Nnamdi Benjamin Azikiwe (Governor General and Commander in Chief) in the uniform of a Field Marshal.

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/744879_Nnamdi20Azikiwe_jpg5774519703b76fcb1e38460b44aee3a1[/img]

Note: Zik was never in the armed forces.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 5:55pm On Jul 09, 2013
Olusegun Mathew Okikiola Obasanjo in the uniform of a fleet admiral (5 star general).

Note that Obasanjo retired as a General (4 star general). Only 4 star generals and above get to keep their rank (and full salary) when they leave active service.

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/744891_Obasanjo_jpgc0f000b40b2a6c700ed35b4b1665a52e[/img]
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by Handsomeemmy(m): 5:55pm On Jul 09, 2013
naptu2: Nnamdi Benjamin Azikiwe (Governor General and Commander in Chief) in the uniform of a Field Marshal.

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/744879_Nnamdi20Azikiwe_jpg5774519703b76fcb1e38460b44aee3a1[/img]

Tell them oooo
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 6:00pm On Jul 09, 2013
Shortly after President Shagari eventually took office, he met with senior military officials.  They expressed the wish that the President retain the defence portfolio, rather than appoint a civilian defence minister.  He refused, and decided instead to appoint Mathematics Professor Iya Abubakar as civilian Defence Minister. Iya was, like Ribadu in the first republic, a Fulani from Adamawa.  For reasons that have never been clarified, however, Shagari took over the defence portfolio from Professor Iya Abubakar in October 1982, a move that the opposition interpreted as preparatory to using the military for partisan purposes.  After winning a second term, Shagari then appointed Alhaji Akanbi Oniyangi, a lawyer and businessman from Ilorin as his second Defence minister.   Shagari did not, however, appoint Ministers of State for individual services as had existed in the first republic.  He also agreed for the psychological satisfaction of the military, to wear military uniform anytime he was performing purely military state functions.  This had also been the practice of President Nnamdi Azikiwe back in the first republic.  It may have been a colonial tradition with roots in the quasi-military heritage of most British Governors General.

http://www.gamji.com/nowa/nowa12.htm

Note that Shehu Shagari was never in the armed forces.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 6:06pm On Jul 09, 2013
(Princess Elizabeth in the first picture) 2nd picture, Her Majesty, Elizabeth II, Queen, Head of State and Commander in Chief of the armed forces of The Federation of Nigeria (1960-1963).

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/744903_RoyalLadiesMilitaryUniformQueenElizabeth_jpgc8111405d6e5ff6835881232bd618584[/img]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 6:15pm On Jul 09, 2013
The Princess Royal, Princess Anne.

Note that Princess Anne never served in the armed forces and she is not even the commander in chief.

1 Share

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 6:27pm On Jul 09, 2013
(From memory while I search for the link).

President Ronald Reagan had served in the military, so he knew of the problem that military personnel had in determining when to end a salute to the President (usually you wait for your superior to finish saluting before ending your salute). He asked the Commander of the Marine Corp if he could return the troops salute. The Commander said, Mr President, you are the Commander in Chief and you can salute anyone you want to salute.

Usually, armed forces personnel only salute when they are in uniform, so the president asked if it would still be ok for him to salute. The commander replied that the "President's uniform" (that is, the blue suit, white shirt and red tie) could be considered as his uniform.

Every US president since then has returned the salute. Barrack Obama was recently criticised for shaking armed forces personnel, rather than saluting them (he forgot).
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 6:30pm On Jul 09, 2013

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by emmirachus(m): 6:35pm On Jul 09, 2013
Oh boy u dey see we'll we'll o, that presido. Na the only presido wan no increase Army salary which is bad o na because of that make soldiers come the collect money for road pass police o. Mu na tell that man to do something o before soldiers go start to the kill people because of money o hmmm no talk say I no talkam o
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 6:41pm On Jul 09, 2013
I watched the 1986 independence day parade. The service chiefs (Abacha, Koshoni and Alfa) entered the arena and received the general salute. Then General Bali entered the arena and received his salute. The next motorcade entered the arena and we obviously thought that it was Commodore Ukiwe's motorcade. I looked through the window and saw a man in a navy uniform. It wasn't Ukiwe, it was Major General Babangida in the uniform of a rear admiral. He is the commander in chief, so he can wear the uniform of any of the armed forces!

General Gowon also wore a naval uniform on independence day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 6:45pm On Jul 09, 2013
Besides, it's not only civilian presidents that wear military uniforms. I've seen vice presidents, ministers of defence, state governors, etc wear military uniforms. The difference though, is that the uniforms of the others have no ranks on them. The (civilian) Commander in Chief always wears the uniform of a 5 star general.
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 6:51pm On Jul 09, 2013
From last year's argument.

naptu2: This has been the practice of civilian and military heads of state of Nigeria, right from the first republic.

The head of state belongs to all Nigerians. When the head of state visits a state (state visit as opposed to working visit) he usually wears the host state's traditional attire. This is done for the psychological effect of showing affinity with the people of the state.

Similarly, the commander in chief belongs to all arms of the armed forces. When he performs his military role as commander in chief (eg, presenting colours, overseeing military exercises, reviewing parades), he could wear the uniform of any of the armed services.

For this reason, Nnamdi Azikiwe wore military uniforms (see pic above). Yakubu Gowon, an army general, wore the uniform of a navy admiral. Ibrahim Babangida, an army general, wore the uniform of a navy admiral (I think this was @ the 1987 independence day parade) and the uniform of an air force marshal (at another event). General Abubakar also wore the uniform of an admiral. Shehu Shagari and Olusegun Obasanjo (both civilian presidents) have also worn military uniforms.

The only case that I still do not understand is the case of Sir Winston Spencer Churchill. He had retired from the armed forces before going into politics. He was never commander in chief (a position reserved for the monarch), yet I've seen pictures of him in military uniform when he was prime minister during World War Two. I hope someone can explain this to me.
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 6:55pm On Jul 09, 2013
Goodluck Jonathan in the uniform of an admiral of the fleet.
[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/745277_thumbnail_jpg924c52ed896d74f60433fa66f0c81e17[/img]

Goodluck Jonathan in the uniform of a marshal of the air force.
[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/745278_goodluck-jonathan1_jpgcdfc04e478cdf496c181d47e7474b26f[/img]

Goodluck Jonathan in the uniform of a Field Marshall (note that the Minister of Defence, Erelu Obada, is also in uniform, but her uniform has no ranks).
[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/745637_DICON-DG-GOODLUCK-YAKOWA-AND-OBADA_jpgcc3ce986ef89b8bae0749b4e0a5cb2b2[/img]
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by Symphony007: 10:55pm On Jul 09, 2013
pitypec: get a life becos it is not done in another place dosen't mean it should be a taboo in our land different coutries different rules and also the british monarchs control d army pm is just accountants office the true rulers are the monarchs thats why it is called royal navy, royal airforce. Get a life if u look at wat every other person does it means u dont have a life.
of course, it can be done here because our army uniform is a worthless piece of material any tom, dick or harry can wear, it is not a exclusive and respected like other countries view theirs.

And you show and exastubated level of ignorance by saying the british monarch controls britain. For crying out loud. She is a figure head. Even her salary and allowance called the sovereigns grant is decided and approved by the prime minister and cabinet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by Symphony007: 11:01pm On Jul 09, 2013
naptu2: The Princess Royal, Princess Anne.

Note that Princess Anne never served in the armed forces and she is not even the commander in chief.
princess anne served in the blues and royals. The regiment prince harry now serves in and today she is the cornel of the blues and royals so she is perfectly entitled to wear uniform.
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by Symphony007: 11:13pm On Jul 09, 2013
naptu2: Sir James Robertson (Governor General and Commander in Chief) & Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa (Prime Minister). Oct 1st 1960

Note: Sir James was never in the armed forces.
sir james roberton is not wearing military uniform. He is wearing the official atire of the representative of the british monarch(governor general). Note the feathered hat. He is wearing his sash an officer of the british empire(OBE) and the medals on his chest are not military but coronation,anniversary and jubilee medals presented to him and other governor generals by queen elizabeth ii and king george vi. Show me a pic of quentin bryce, gov gen of australia or david johnson of canada wearing a military atire.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by Symphony007: 11:21pm On Jul 09, 2013
naptu2: Nnamdi Benjamin Azikiwe (Governor General and Commander in Chief) in the uniform of a Field Marshal.

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by Symphony007: 11:28pm On Jul 09, 2013
naptu2: .
what is a salute? Anybody can salute. We are talking about uniform. And no u.s president who has'nt served is insensitive enough wear a uniform with decoration, men have died for because he played good politics and was elected president.
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by Symphony007: 11:52pm On Jul 09, 2013
President abraham lincoln visited his troops during the civil war and the generals were urging him to wear military uniform before he addressed the troops. And he said.
"i am your commander in chief but i am not part of you. I represent the millions of civilian americans when i command you so how does it bode constitutionally if i dress like you? If i had serve in your distinguished ranks, i would have considered it but it's in bad taste to brandish this uniform great men have died for on me because i won an election"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by Symphony007: 11:53pm On Jul 09, 2013
President abraham lincoln visited his troops during the civil war and the generals were urging him to wear military uniform before he addressed the troops. And he said.
"i am your commander in chief but i am not part of you. I represent the millions of civilian americans when i command you so how does it bode constitutionally if i dress like you? If i had serve in your distinguished ranks, i would have considered it but it's in bad taste to brandish this uniform great men have died for on me because i won an election"....enought said all. Jonathan and his defense minister better stop this banana republic mentality, generalissimo goodluck jonathan.
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 2:31am On Jul 10, 2013
Symphony007: sir james roberton is not wearing military uniform. He is wearing the official atire of the representative of the british monarch(governor general). Note the feathered hat. He is wearing his sash an officer of the british empire(OBE) and the medals on his chest are not military but coronation,anniversary and jubilee medals presented to him and other governor generals by queen elizabeth ii and king george vi. Show me a pic of quentin bryce, gov gen of australia or david johnson of canada wearing a military atire.

1) That's a military uniform. Note the exchange of salutes between him and Prince Philip in the video below.

2) The decoration worn by the President Goodluck Jonathan is hiss GCFR medal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e75cgmKEF0

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 2:32am On Jul 10, 2013
Symphony007: what is a salute? Anybody can salute. We are talking about uniform. And no u.s president who has'nt served is insensitive enough wear a uniform with decoration, men have died for because he played good politics and was elected president.

That is a military salute.
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 2:33am On Jul 10, 2013
[quote author=Symphony007][/quote]

Why didn't you make any comment about Zik's uniform?
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 3:07am On Jul 10, 2013
Symphony007: President abraham lincoln visited his troops during the civil war and the generals were urging him to wear military uniform before he addressed the troops. And he said.
"i am your commander in chief but i am not part of you. I represent the millions of civilian americans when i command you so how does it bode constitutionally if i dress like you? If i had serve in your distinguished ranks, i would have considered it but it's in bad taste to brandish this uniform great men have died for on me because i won an election"....enought said all. Jonathan and his defense minister better stop this banana republic mentality, generalissimo goodluck jonathan.

What do you mean by "banana republic mentality"? Each sovereign nation is free to choose its traditions, ceremonies and values. It does not have to follow the traditions, ceremonies and values of another. Doing that would be what Fela called "colo mentality".
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 3:29am On Jul 10, 2013
[size=14pt]Governor General of Canada as Commander in Chief.[/size]

You asked and I shall oblige, though God may still punish me for what I've done to my library. The uniforms below are not the uniforms I would have liked to show. In the 1980s I had a book with a picture of the governor general in a fantastic military uniform. He was seated on the throne. It was amazing.

[size=14pt]Wearing the Canadian Forces Uniforms[/size]

As Commander-in-Chief of Canada, the governor general may, in this capacity, wear the uniform at events.

The Canadian Forces Publication (CFP) which regulates the wear of military uniforms for the Governor General is CFP 265, the Canadian Forces Dress Instructions manual.

The governor general wears a flag/general officer uniform with special flag/general sleeve braid, embellished with the governor general’s badge, and a large embroidered governor general’s badge on the shoulder straps or boards.

A number of Canadian governors general have worn the military uniform including Vincent Massey (1952-59), Georges P. Vanier (1959-1967), Roland Michener (1967-1974), Edward Schreyer (1979-1984), Jeanne Sauvé (1984-1990) Ramon Hnatyshyn (1990-1995) and Michaëlle Jean (2005-2010)

http://www..ca/document.aspx?id=14616

His Excellency, The Governor General of Canada, David Johnston. (Question: is Canada a "banana republic" ? )

1 Share

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 3:35am On Jul 10, 2013
Do you know that the Brigade of Guards is the only unit of the Nigerian Army that has it's own distinct command structure (independent of the army)?

The Chief of Army Staff has operational command of all the units of the army except the Brigade of Guards. The Commander of the Brigade of Guards takes his orders from the President.

That's why during the 1990 coup (will I ever forget that coup), the commander pointedly asked General Abacha "where is the President" when Abacha issued instructions to him while he was trying to regain control. Sani Abacha had to send his son, Ibrahim, and some guards to bring Babangida to Flag Staff House.

Some people were alarmed that units of the Brigade of Guards were deployed when Yar'Adua returned from Saudi Arabia. They blamed the Chief of Army Staff, General Dambazzau for the deployment. The truth is that Dambazzau might not have had anything to do with it. Yar'Adua's ADC, Colonel Mustapha Onoyivetta might have called the Brigade of Guards Commander and informed him that the Commander in Chief was on his way back and needed security. The Chief of Army Staff does not have operational control of the BOG.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 3:36am On Jul 10, 2013
I'm off to search for that picture of the Governor General of Canada. I really hope someone has posted it online.
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 5:37am On Jul 10, 2013
[size=14pt]Governor-General embraces military uniform[/size]

Bill Curry

Ottawa — From Thursday's Globe and Mail

Last updated Thursday, Aug. 23 2012, 12:23 PM EDT

Governor-General Michaëlle Jean and Prince Charles lay wreaths during Remembrance Day services at the National War Memorial in Ottawa. (Adrian Wyld/The Canadian Press)

Michaëlle Jean stood at the National War Memorial Wednesday in full army uniform, the first time in her four years as Governor-General that she'd worn military garb to Remembrance Day ceremonies.

It was a senior Canadian Forces official working on leave at Rideau Hall who convinced her earlier this year that donning an army uniform would be a fitting way to show respect for the men and women under her formal command, the Governor-General's office said. And now she in intends to wear one to all major military events.

Ms. Jean's sudden embrace of the Forces uniform is in keeping with other developments this week that further cement the military at the heart of Canada's identity - from new Sacrifice Medals for killed or wounded soldiers to new citizenship questions announced by the Conservative government.

"For the Governor-General, wearing the uniform is a way of paying tribute to the Canadian Forces," said Marthe Blouin, a spokesperson for Ms. Jean.

She has every right to do so as commander-in-chief of the Canadian Forces. The uniform was created for former governor-general Edward Schreyer, and on the shoulder substitutes the governor-general's office insignia for a formal military rank. The tradition had been abandoned by Ms. Jean's two predecessors, Romeo LeBlanc and Adrienne Clarkson.

Commander Hubert Genest, a spokesman for the Forces, said he was not aware of any request made to Ms. Jean regarding uniforms. However, he said he was pleased to see her in uniform for Remembrance Day.

"I think it's great," he said.

The country's eight years of fighting in Afghanistan - including the deaths of 133 soldiers, two aid workers and a diplomat - have heightened Canadians' awareness of the Forces' role. Remembrance Day in Ottawa is Canada's most solemn national gathering, but after the tears were shed and the last cannon fired, many of the military men and women surrounding the National War Memorial beamed at the massive show of public appreciation.

Chief of the Defence Staff Walter Natynczyk, after completing a tour of events tied to Remembrance Day, told The Globe and Mail he was struck by the rise in support among Canadians. He pointed to the large turnout in Toronto on Tuesday night for the True Patriot Love Foundation charity event - attended by Prime Minister Stephen Harper - to raise money for Canadian military families in need.

"This truly is the culmination of an emotional week," he said after Wednesday's ceremony. He said a new phrase is popping up to describe the generation of soldiers with experience in Afghanistan. "I heard a term from a warrant officer [at CFB Petawawa]talking about 'the new veterans.' "

General Natynczyk said Canadians now better understand the Forces' international role. "I think we've come a long way since the ice storm and the floods," he said. "People realize our functions at home, but also they're realizing that what we're doing abroad - in places like Afghanistan, or Congo or aboard HMCS Fredericton on the Horn of Africa - is we are defending Canada from 10,000 kilometres away."

Thousands of Canadians gathered in the bright sun around the cenotaph at the centre of Ottawa. The monument was first unveiled by King George VI in 1939 to commemorate Canada's response to the First World War. References to the Second World War and the Korean War weren't added until 1982, expanding the cenotaph's meaning to include all those who served Canada in times of war.

Prince Charles, George VI's grandson, was at Ms. Jean's side in Ottawa, also wearing a green Canadian Forces army uniform as lieutenant-general of all three services of the Canadian Forces.

Parker Kennedy, who was visiting Ottawa from Halifax, said the size of the crowd at the monument was spectacular. "It's great to see the turnout. It's great to see the Prince of Wales here. … I think [the Afghanistan mission] has brought a great awareness to us Canadians who didn't live through either of the great wars or the Korea War."

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/governor-general-embraces-military-uniform/article4294310/?service=mobile

shocked wow! Canada is a "banana republic" !

1 Share

Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by Symphony007: 8:48am On Jul 10, 2013
We are very opinionated people so no matter how much arguement is made, we will never change each other's view, so i belive and will continue to belive that it is a disgrace for a civilian who gained his commander in chief title by election or appiontment to wear uniform meant for men who who gave their today for their country's tomorrow. And yes according to sen. Storm thurman, any country that does that is a banana republic, including canda. Holla!!
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 8:51am On Jul 10, 2013
Lol. We agree to disagree.
Re: Jonathan At The Nigeria Army Day Celebration In Abuja by naptu2: 8:58am On Jul 10, 2013
This is a very interesting article that looks at the issue from both sides. It's also got pictures of lots of democratically elected heads of state who have worn military uniforms. I didn't want to post it earlier out of fear of the anti-spam bot. The link will be in my next post and I'll post the pictures when I'm free.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/pictessays_leaders_democ.php

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ebonyi Traditional Rulers Endorse Buhari, Umahi / NIMET: Thunderstorms Expected Across Nigeria Friday To Sunday / Nigerians Will Soon Hear From Us On Extension Of Voter Registration – INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.