Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,692 members, 7,809,613 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? (5980 Views)

Poll: Are we ready for a female president? (2007)

Yes: 51% (28 votes)
No: 48% (26 votes)
This poll has ended

US To Drive Oil Prices Even Lower. Is Nigeria Ready? / African Militaries Led By Nigeria Ready To Act In Ivory Coast Standoff / Is Nigeria Ready For Id Card Harmonization? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by panafrican(m): 3:22pm On May 23, 2006
Woman President: Is Nigeria Ready?

Is Nigeria ready to have a woman as president? If yes, who?
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by ayanfe(m): 4:05pm On May 23, 2006
Its not so much the gender that is the issue, though it should not be overlooked. However, at the moment, we need a person with enough understanding of the workings of the military to be able to continue the process of restructuring the military and avert any coup. Obasanjo did a very excellent job in that department in his first few years of civilian rule. We need to get used to the culture of civilian succession.
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by panafrican(m): 5:10pm On May 23, 2006
Ayanfe said :<< We need to get used to the culture of civilian succession. >>
Great !  One can agree with that ,because  instability brings nothing but thieves.

But questions come when he says  <<Why should a black nation have its males subjected to female rule?   >>.

In a democratic country are citizens subjected to the president  rule or is everybody ( including the president) abiding by  the law of the land ?
Am I missing something here?

What if women say : well, you men won't find us in your bed if you don't allow us to be president ?  grin
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by Seun(m): 7:02pm On May 31, 2006
Of course, Nigeria is ready for a female president and her name is Doctor Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by damygurl(f): 9:38pm On May 31, 2006
yes. it's time we try something different. i don't know who but i know we are ready.
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by oluwizard(m): 12:16am On Jun 01, 2006
Seun:

Of course, Nigeria is ready for a female president and her name is Doctor Ngozi Okonjo-Oyeala!!
Yes i seun is right
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by Dauda(m): 2:50am On Jun 01, 2006
I'm not really excited about a woman being our president. On second thought, why not? Let's try summin different.
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by otokx(m): 11:31am On Jun 01, 2006
have you forgotten what happened when Nigeria tried to host the Miss World beauty pageant? Its not possible to have a female president for now.
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by Seun(m): 12:45pm On Jun 01, 2006
What does the Miss World beauty pageant have to do with presidency? Our finance minister, a woman, doesn't strut about town in skimpy clothes like the Miss World contestants, so I don't see the relevance of that!
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by trumic(m): 2:39pm On Jun 01, 2006
yeah, lets have a female president, Iweala will be gud
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by Nkila: 3:56pm On Jun 01, 2006
The time for men to be president has expired,let's now bring sweetness into politics. grin tongue
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by kazey(m): 5:14pm On Jun 01, 2006
hahaha jockers,
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by dgirl(f): 5:27pm On Jun 01, 2006
Akuyali is preferable
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by babadee(m): 6:06pm On Jun 01, 2006
No way men! naija aint ready for a female president, maybe in the near future but not now
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by Shagari2(m): 7:14pm On Jun 03, 2006
what are all of you talking, Genevieve Nnaji jo!!
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by DaHitler(m): 8:54pm On Jun 03, 2006
Nigeria is not ready for a female President. Heck, women speaking out in public get dirty looks in many parts of the country.
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by babyydoll(f): 6:40am On Jun 05, 2006
huh
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by CHIEFAGBE: 8:14pm On Jun 05, 2006
Now you want give power to women ?Why don't they learn how to cook first, I'm tired of women eating in restaurants .
women shewing gun everywhere in public. Enough is enough.

Chief Agbe, the guardian of traditions.
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by Dauda(m): 11:44pm On Jun 05, 2006
CHIEF AGBE:

Now you want give power to women ?Why don't they learn how to cook first, I'm tired of women eating in restaurants .
women shewing gun everywhere in public. Enough is enough.

Chief Agbe, the guardian of traditions.

@ Chief Agbe, where do you live? I'm thinking it could be in some cave somewhere. Seriously, we do not need to be talking like this given the positive contributions that women have put into governance all over the world. Even in Nigeria, we have some examples of women that have made their mark.
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by Seun(m): 11:32am On Jun 06, 2006
Some of us are still in the 19th century. It's funny!
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by CHIEFAGBE: 6:01pm On Jun 07, 2006
Where does a chief live ? Among his tribesmen evidently.
I , as the chief have to recall everybody where steps must stop. There must be a leader to draw the line and i'm the leader here. You know Why women want to be president?
Here it is : wear skinny trousers,smoke cigarette, drink alcool ,take advantage of political meetings to be unfaihtful to their husbands, eat in public and shout in the face of men.No other agenda. It is what you want right?
Chinua achebe is right, Things are just falling apart. angry

Chief Agbe,the guardian of traditions.
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by Dauda(m): 9:59pm On Jun 07, 2006
CHIEF AGBE:

Where does a chief live ? Among his tribesmen evidently.
I , as the chief have to recall everybody where steps must stop. There must be a leader to draw the line and i'm the leader here. You know Why women want to be president?
Here it is : wear skinny trousers,smoke cigarette, drink alcool ,take advantage of political meetings to be unfaihtful to their husbands, eat in public and shout in the face of men.No other agenda. It is what you want right?
Chinua achebe is right, Things are just falling apart. angry

Chief Agbe,the guardian of traditions.

I believe you are trying to be funny. I therefore will try to laugh at your dry joke.[quote][/quote]
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by CHIEFAGBE: 2:57pm On Jun 08, 2006
Funny for what, some do want to see their wives staying out late on the ground of questionable meeting.
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by efftee(f): 11:45am On Jun 27, 2006
I think what nigeria needs now is a female president. what do you think?
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by Mystique(f): 8:17am On Jul 03, 2006
Hmmm, So much hype about this Dr. Okonjo-Iweala undecided
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by tinard(m): 7:41am On Sep 09, 2006
We've heard about the candidate for next years election and the real contenders seem to be Duke, Okotie, Utomi and as much as I hate to admit it IBB.

However, some people also believe Okonjo-Iweala is a contender. I'm not suggesting she is the right candidate especially since I've never believed in an economist being the head of state, prime minister or president even though i'm an economist.

My question also comes as a result of Americans belief that the next president of the US of A is either Hillary Clinton or Condoleeza Rice.

The question is Is Nigeria ready to take that step forward and follow in the footsteps of Chile, Liberia, Phillipines, Finland, Latvia, Ireland and this is just the list of those women still in power as some have come off as you all know. Is this a good move for our country and are there any prospective candidates there. Could you name them please?
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by iice(f): 8:02am On Sep 09, 2006
Regardless of her qualifications, i dont think Nigeria is anywhere near ready to let a Female rule the country.
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by bluenubian(f): 11:18am On Sep 09, 2006
heck, maybe thats what we need, look at what the men have done to ur beloved country
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by justin04(m): 1:56pm On Sep 09, 2006
Why not? It happened in first and third world countries before in countries like England, Pakistan, India and Phillipines. Recently Germany and Liberia just elected women presidents. So, if the most qualified candidate happens to be a woman, then I would support her.
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by nilla(f): 5:15pm On Sep 09, 2006
@ topic

YES Nigeria is. If she is the best candidate.

For those that think NO, you better be ready in the next 20+ years when i might think of running wink
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by nico(m): 12:11pm On Sep 10, 2006
Is Nigeria ready for a female President?
Is like asking, if Vatican is ready for a Pope?
Re: Is Nigeria Ready For A Female President? by lovely28(f): 8:55pm On Sep 10, 2006
Yes sure, why not? All the time men, men, men, Life is full of different experiences, so I personally think it's a great idea wink Let's go for it if we get the chance!

(1) (2) (Reply)

John Nwodo Arrested By Sss For Inciting Army To Interfere In Politics / I Was Crying For The Igbos Until I Saw The Shiites; Pictures / *we Appreciate Contributions Of Armed Forces To Nation Building, Says Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.