Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,981 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit (40241 Views)

Drama As INEC Concludes Defence In Akwa Ibom Governorship Election Suit / Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge / Fashola Inspects Ikoyi Bridge Now At 80% Completion. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Boss13: 1:12pm On Jul 11, 2013
Before people begin to insult the Federal Government. Please note that the F.G is also a defendant in the case. The Civil right lawyer is filing his claims against the state and federal government.
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by ewet: 1:20pm On Jul 11, 2013
abeg 4get this guy. The guy jus dey find fame. Very soon hin go get juicy briefs frm FG or LASG just like Keyamo did back then.
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jul 11, 2013
oddy4real:
You are so ignorant and you are proud of it. Peruse through the post, is the Federal Government suing the Lagos State Government?
Your comprehension skills are virtually non-existent
you are a coward! did i ever mention that FG is suing LASG? i just only implied that Fashola/LASG is working while Gej/Fg is sleeping..
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by MrFord1: 1:57pm On Jul 11, 2013
The emphasis on tax in Nigeria is just too much. There are countries where Income Tax and Capital Gain Tax are not paid. Western Countries with strict tax policies at least give back to their unemployed citizens but here nobody cares.

There are also illegal tax and levy collection going on in some places. Isolo local government is an example. Their officials go around asking offices and even limited liability company in Isolo to pay Office Space levy (which is same as business premises levy to be paid to the state government) and some other taxes which these companies are to pay to Lagos State SIRS. Even the companies that had paid to the SIRS, are threatened to pay their own version or risk lock up. In tax matters limited liability companies are to deal with the federal and state governments strictly.
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Sloan: 1:59pm On Jul 11, 2013
me1234: I appreciate Fashola for the projects so far in lagos. However, my question is why build these projects then toll us for them after paying our taxes. So my question is did he used his personal money to build these projects? And if it was a loan is he going to payback with his personal money? Why do our government carryout their responsibility to the people and yet enslave the people? Good roads are the responsibilities of the government to its people. The peoples responsibility is to pay tax.unfortunately in lagos the people pay tax yet they are tolled

So sad too many of YOU Nigerians are completely foo.liash! You appreciate it but do not want to pay for it? You love the West and cannot wait to cite US, UK, Canada, etc. at every opportunity, how do you think it's done here? Do you think developed infrastructure just springs up from a few revenue sources? How about a 40% tax rate? Yet, when you use some highways, car parks at the airport, priority lanes, YOU STILL PAY TOLLS & CHARGES! How much is your tax rate wherever you live? Well, if the FG and the PDP-sponsored lawyer suing the state government will pay the total cost of the construction + interest + other charges as deemed fit immediately, then tolls can be stopped! But if even N 1 remains unpaid tolling must continue! In fact it will be better because if the state government constructed at N 30 B, let them mark the repayment of the FG up to 60 B and use the money to complete some the projects in Lagos and start constructing the 4th Mainland bridge! grin grin grin That will be sweet! After finishing that one, TOLL it again so the FG can complain, take them to court and charge N 500 B as total cost of projects, capital, loan and projected value. With 500 B, the SW will surely have even loftier ideas! grin grin
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Oliyass(m): 2:00pm On Jul 11, 2013
tomiyege: This's extortion of d highest level, is it not our tax payer money they used in building it? They asked permission frm d Federal government for the project to reduced congestion on our 4 the good will of d citizen nt knowing they are planning 2 enrich their self with tax tax payer money.I don't even trust d fed government, mayb dey filled d suit 2 collect there own share out of it, cos it was build on fed water way

LWKMD..... grin

As the population of Ikoyi and Lekki 1 increased so much, with so many people complaining about a bridge located in Ikoyi/Lekki

Or is all this noise coming from resident of 2nd Lagos, 3rd Lagos etc

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by eldoradoxx: 2:06pm On Jul 11, 2013
Nigeria is a constitutional democracy where law and order and not sentiment reigns. By our laws waterways of such category belong to and are managed by the Federal Government of Nigeria. Therefore by simple interpretation of law and using some principles of law quid quid plantatur solo solo cedis, he who owns the land (water in this case) owns everything on it. Since the water on which the bridge was built belongs to Federal Government of Nigeria, the bridge is deemed to belong to Federal Government of Nigeria and Lagos state cannot by any means toll that road or even control traffic there. I share similar case here in Edo where Edo State Traffic Management Agency now impound vehicles on Federal Highways in Benin. Recently they impounded mine for traffic violation though after a street fight with their officers and serious debate with their boss in their office, they reduced their fine of 20k to zero kobo. But I have decided to go to Court to challenge the action of Edo state government in permitting its agencies to regulate traffick, impose fines for traffick violation on a Federal Highway. It is illegal.

1 Like

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by halavoke: 2:40pm On Jul 11, 2013
A simple passage u can't comprehend, you all are so sharp n fast to start insultin d FG jst because u cant understand simple english. Bandwagon of idiets!

1 Like

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by omonnakoda: 2:47pm On Jul 11, 2013
eldoradoxx: Nigeria is a constitutional democracy where law and order and not sentiment reigns. By our laws waterways of such category belong to and are managed by the Federal Government of Nigeria. Therefore by simple interpretation of law and using some principles of law quid quid plantatur solo solo cedis, he who owns the land (water in this case) owns everything on it. Since the water on which the bridge was built belongs to Federal Government of Nigeria, the bridge is deemed to belong to Federal Government of Nigeria and Lagos state cannot by any means toll that road or even control traffic there. I share similar case here in Edo where Edo State Traffic Management Agency now impound vehicles on Federal Highways in Benin. Recently they impounded mine for traffic violation though after a street fight with their officers and serious debate with their boss in their office, they reduced their fine of 20k to zero kobo. But I have decided to go to Court to challenge the action of Edo state government in permitting its agencies to regulate traffick, impose fines for traffick violation on a Federal Highway. It is illegal.
shut up! Mumu
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Gunzilla(m): 2:54pm On Jul 11, 2013
eldoradoxx: Nigeria is a constitutional democracy where law and order and not sentiment reigns. By our laws waterways of such category belong to and are managed by the Federal Government of Nigeria. Therefore by simple interpretation of law and using some principles of law quid quid plantatur solo solo cedis, he who owns the land (water in this case) owns everything on it. Since the water on which the bridge was built belongs to Federal Government of Nigeria, the bridge is deemed to belong to Federal Government of Nigeria and Lagos state cannot by any means toll that road or even control traffic there. I share similar case here in Edo where Edo State Traffic Management Agency now impound vehicles on Federal Highways in Benin. Recently they impounded mine for traffic violation though after a street fight with their officers and serious debate with their boss in their office, they reduced their fine of 20k to zero kobo. But I have decided to go to Court to challenge the action of Edo state government in permitting its agencies to regulate traffick, impose fines for traffick violation on a Federal Highway. It is illegal.

My friend stop quoting latin maxims from your GNS class..The FG were fully aware that LASG was builiding a bridge on their water ways and they stood by and did nothing.The fact that the bridge is going to be tolled was widely publicised.Go read up on Promissory Estoppel.The FB cant turn around now and say this is our bridge.In the alternative,if the FG want to claim the bridge,they'll have to pay up the whole cost of the bridge to LASG and then untoll it ir knock it down as they see fit...
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by adconline(m): 3:14pm On Jul 11, 2013
nous: Gosh, many people have comprehension problem (that is what happens when your objectivity is blinded). See the way they are castigating the FG as if it was the FG that sued the Lagos state government.
THE FG IS ALSO A DEFENDANT IN THE CASE.
This is not a FG vs LG case.
People please read with understanding.
English comprehension skills taught by partisan hawks! Poor reading skill is the problem.
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by eldoradoxx: 3:42pm On Jul 11, 2013
Gunzilla:

My friend stop quoting latin maxims from your GNS class..The FG were fully aware that LASG was builiding a bridge on their water ways and they stood by and did nothing.The fact that the bridge is going to be tolled was widely publicised.Go read up on Promissory Estoppel.The FB cant turn around now and say this is our bridge.In the alternative,if the FG want to claim the bridge,they'll have to pay up the whole cost of the bridge to LASG and then untoll it ir knock it down as they see fit...
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by successking: 3:42pm On Jul 11, 2013
Sloan:

So sad too many of YOU Nigerians are completely foo.liash! You appreciate it but do not want to pay for it? You love the West and cannot wait to cite US, UK, Canada, etc. at every opportunity, how do you think it's done here? Do you think developed infrastructure just springs up from a few revenue sources? How about a 40% tax rate? Yet, when you use some highways, car parks at the airport, priority lanes, YOU STILL PAY TOLLS & CHARGES! How much is your tax rate wherever you live? Well, if the FG and the PDP-sponsored lawyer suing the state government will pay the total cost of the construction + interest + other charges as deemed fit immediately, then tolls can be stopped! But if even N 1 remains unpaid tolling must continue! In fact it will be better because if the state government constructed at N 30 B, let them mark the repayment of the FG up to 60 B and use the money to complete some the projects in Lagos and start constructing the 4th Mainland bridge! grin grin grin That will be sweet! After finishing that one, TOLL it again so the FG can complain, take them to court and charge N 500 B as total cost of projects, capital, loan and projected value. With 500 B, the SW will surely have even loftier ideas! grin grin

FG will not refund a kobo to LSG and the toll fees must stop. LSG constructed the bridge out of monthly allocation released to her by FG like any other state. Toll fees are paid only in Lagos due Fashola's greedy gesture to rob Lagosians of their hard earn incomes, multiple taxes such as land use charge, hospitaliy consumption tax and so on, have been introduced since he assumed office in 2007. So, if you have nothing left in your fickle mind, shut up and stop bothering people with your unreasonable postings.
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by eldoradoxx: 4:11pm On Jul 11, 2013
Gunzilla:

This shows those who did not pass their law of contract. What is estoppel here? A man comes into your land knowing fully well that he has no title and his position in law as a trespasser is clear and build a mansion there and now claims that he acquired title because I stood by and watch him and did not, whereas he knew from onset. Tell me lawyer what whether it is common law or equity that he can find assistance from
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by EmperorSeal(m): 4:30pm On Jul 11, 2013
OneDemola:

I need to give you 1 million likes for this comment!
foooooools, ordinary english is not ordinary. Go ahead and call GEJ names as usual....... Better learn to read before commenting
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Afolabs101: 4:31pm On Jul 11, 2013
KINGwax: u shld ask why england, whom her citizens pay as much as 40% in tax still pay tolls for bridges.
Most times u guys talk without reasoning!

The simple reason for tollin is

1. To discourage congestion on the new bridge

2. Free space for the old lane

3. Collect more cash from the rich who are not complaing anyway

4. Use the same cash to provide free amenities for u poor Id!ots that evade taxes and still want free things!!!

In the UK, only the highest earners have the highest portion of their income taxed and you can in no way compare what they get in return for paying tax.

1. LASG should have followed the original plan and had the bridge run from Femi Okunnu to past Osborne, linking 3rd mainland. This option would mean much less traffic without having to toll.

2. See above. This would have freed VI and Ikoyi from traffic in between Lekki and the Mainland.

3. The majority of people passing that route everyday are middle and lower class. People working white collar or blue collar jobs commuting from the Mainland to Lekki to work or vice versa. This myth that it's only the rich getting taxed is absolute rubbish.

4. Most people are willing to pay taxes if they feel it is being put to good use. Building a bridge using tax payers money and then turning around to say those tax payers should pay to use the bridge to me amounts to double taxation.

1 Like

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by mapet: 8:39pm On Jul 11, 2013
@ Afolabi,
1. you are yarning dust, inconsistencies and unrealistic assumptions
2. Even the original plan that you mentioned is a plan and at the discretion of the Lagos state government, be ammended.
3. Even the option of Linking Femi Okunnu strat to 3MB will come with its cost and albeit way much higher than the current bridge. Have you thought of the conscequences of that cost? or you're revelling in the cross moras of idiotic assumption that the funds to build the bridge comes from federal allocation?
5. Truth is I have passed through the bridge 2x. The fact that people pay tolls is not even the issue at hand. The volume of traffic coming from Lekki, de-bottlenecked has led to consequent effect on Ikoyi. Yet with that by-pass, you save a whole 45mins-1hr. Those who actually pass that road are willing to pay the price, and not some of you lot that just rant on NL.
6. Stop writing illogical nonsense. Did you take a sampling to determine that majority of people passing through that route are middle class people? does it even matter? You have the option of taking the route if you please. Whether double taxation or not, it's an individual's choice. If you're coming from Lekki and you don't want to pay tolls, then take the alternate routes.

Afolabs101:

In the UK, only the highest earners have the highest portion of their income taxed and you can in no way compare what they get in return for paying tax.

1. LASG should have followed the original plan and had the bridge run from Femi Okunnu to past Osborne, linking 3rd mainland. This option would mean much less traffic without having to toll.

2. See above. This would have freed VI and Ikoyi from traffic in between Lekki and the Mainland.

3. The majority of people passing that route everyday are middle and lower class. People working white collar or blue collar jobs commuting from the Mainland to Lekki to work or vice versa. This myth that it's only the rich getting taxed is absolute rubbish.

4. Most people are willing to pay taxes if they feel it is being put to good use. Building a bridge using tax payers money and then turning around to say those tax payers should pay to use the bridge to me amounts to double taxation.

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Oxygenmayo(m): 8:41pm On Jul 11, 2013
Shameless FG...why won't they pocknose into LASG affairs? They (FG) failed to initiate and successfully complete a federal project. LASG should keep the good work rolling and don't depend on the toothless FG..God knows if they won't raise an eyebrow when LASG completes the light-rail metro project...#JezSayin
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by chugzy(m): 9:10pm On Jul 11, 2013
geeez:

It's called a suspension bridge and it is because it is supported by cables

Abeg which cables? Jst art work coz it has piers at spans.
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by adconline(m): 12:03am On Jul 12, 2013
Thank you for making a sense on NL where common sense is rocket science. Also, FG is being sued with LASG by a private citizen. The private citizen is going to ask the court to mandate FG to enforce his rights since the land and waterways belong to FG.
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Awoofawo(m): 8:29am On Jul 12, 2013
nous: Gosh, many people have comprehension problem (that is what happens when your objectivity is blinded). See the way they are castigating the FG as if it was the FG that sued the Lagos state government.
THE FG IS ALSO A DEFENDANT IN THE CASE.
This is not a FG vs LG case.
People please read with understanding.

hail bros! have you ever heard the word: "AGENT PROVOCATOR" if not, searching google or wikipedia may do you some good! takia
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by eminence13(m): 9:20am On Jul 12, 2013
bennyraz: Federal Government are just envious of Lagos state Government!! them are like, How is fashola doing it grin clueless people
i do need to tell u to be reasonable ... Any state govt must work with d fg if need be to better d lifes of their citizens , u construct a bridge with tax payers money and tell same pple to pay tolls on it how logical is that? For ur info it is nt to ease lagosians bt for selfish interest bt i dont blame u if u or ur fada has nt stolen enof money to pay tolls either public or private u wunt open ur filty mouth to say jagons.... Ask ur self even those who av everything working in their countries dont do such ..bunch of thieves
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by eminence13(m): 9:26am On Jul 12, 2013
Oxygenmayo: Shameless FG...why won't they pocknose into LASG affairs? They (FG) failed to initiate and successfully complete a federal project. LASG should keep the good work rolling and don't depend on the toothless FG..God knows if they won't raise an eyebrow when LASG completes the light-rail metro project...#JezSayin
thats a good one if only the lsgvt made judicious use of revenue and allocations for the purpose and nt tax payers money and at the end ask dem to pay tolls ....rubbish
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Nobody: 1:51am On Jul 29, 2013
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by chinedum45(m): 8:41am On Jul 29, 2013
$£yi:
Lagos state gov saw the need to construct a bridge on a federal waterway to ease the traffic in the state, built the bridge and tolled the bridge after completion.
Lagosians have the option to either use the longer existing route freely or use the shorter newly constructed route.

Already, Lagos gov has successfully reduced the traffic on the old route, such that citizens that don't care about the tolling of the new bridge won't pass the old one, and the fact that many Lagosians are always in haste means many will go for the tolled bridge, leaving the old for the common Lagosians. Thereby splitting the traffic.

What has the federal government been doing all these years that it was obvious that a bridge is needed on that waterway to ease traffic?
If the federal government had constructed the bridge, will the Lagos state gov go ahead to toll the bridge?

Looks like the federal government is discouraging the state government in taking up responsibilities that they(fg) are incompetent of.

The FG shouldn't have mentioned anything related to the bridge, because it is their incompetent @ss that Lagos government is saving.

No sane human will pass through or see the bridge and won't appreciate the brain behind it. In short the Federal government is envious of Lagos state.

[b][/b]PLEASE COULD YOU READ THE TOPIC AGAIN, OVER And OVER AGAIN TO SEE IF U MAY UNDERSTAND IT MAYBE AT YOUR TENTH ATTEMPT?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter / "Wike, Go Abuja": Protest Erupts In Rivers Over Impeachment Plot On Fubara / Jennifer Ukambomg Samuel Freed From Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.