Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,649 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Car Talk Chat Room - Car Talk (75) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Talk Chat Room (523702 Views)

Car Talk Chat Room / Car Talk Library / Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (222) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by obmade: 10:46am On Apr 03, 2018
Hello Guys,

Please how safe is it to convert a car's rear brake assembly from brake drums to brake discs?

I have a mechanic who is advising that I make the change!
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 12:20pm On Apr 03, 2018
obmade:
Hello Guys,

Please how safe is it to convert a car's rear brake assembly from brake drums to brake discs?

I have a mechanic who is advising that I make the change!

if the car in question has a trim with brake discs, you have my go ahead, you just buy the necessary parts nd swap.

drums aren't bad, except you buy low quality shoe and dip them regularly in water especially when they are extremely hot
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by obmade: 1:41pm On Apr 03, 2018
Thanks for the feedback.

Mine is a 2009/2010 corolla. So what do you think?

nurey:

if the car in question has a trim with brake discs, you have my go ahead, you just buy the necessary parts nd swap.

drums aren't bad, except you buy low quality shoe and dip them regularly in water especially when they are extremely hot
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 4:27pm On Apr 03, 2018
obmade:
Thanks for the feedback.

Mine is a 2009/2010 corolla. So what do you think?

he could get a direct swap from a toyota matrix or corolla XRS, they came with rear disk.

I hope you are not doing it for the aesthetics grin

http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/rear-disc-conversion.2829/
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by obmade: 8:26am On Apr 04, 2018
Not really. My mechanic asserts that discs brake better than drums! And also that failure rate is higher in drums than in discs. I thought I should double check.

nurey:

I hope you are not doing it for the aesthetics grin

http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/rear-disc-conversion.2829/
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 8:31am On Apr 04, 2018
obmade:
Not really. My mechanic asserts that discs brake better than drums! And also that failure rate is higher in drums than in discs. I thought I should double check.

Tell your mechanic that I nurey is asking him when he carried out the research trail, what was his inference and outcome, also I need a hard copy and soft copy of the project work and results.

a little online research of drum brakes vs disc brakes will enlighten you which is better. Most who change the rear to disc is for aesthetics purposes.

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by daroyal1: 11:03am On Apr 04, 2018
Hyundai Sonata
Year of manufacture
Colour Black
Mint Condition
Transmission
Automatic
Sharp Hyundai Sonata 2011 Limited Edition. Clean body, chilling AC and Excellent engine condition.

Price: 3 million

Call Mr Ola (if interested)
0808 457 9999

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by obmade: 11:21am On Apr 04, 2018
grin grin grin; Yes Sir!

nurey:

Tell your mechanic that I nurey is asking him when he carried out the research trail, what was his inference and outcome, also I need a hard copy and soft copy of the project work and results.

a little online research of drum brakes vs disc brakes will enlighten you which is better. Most who change the rear to disc is for aesthetics purposes.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by Nobody: 4:04pm On Apr 04, 2018
pstone27:
My Honda Accord a.k.a Academy gearbox malfunctions whenever the Engine gets hot, pls any solution on this as I don't want to replace the gearbox, pls will be glad
can you bring it to our workshop Automedics at Ikeja
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by Shugarlord213: 4:06pm On Apr 04, 2018
Hey guys some one help plsss is custom papers needed for a Toyota Camry 2000
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by Nobody: 4:09pm On Apr 04, 2018
adioolayi:
Good morning great people,
Please, my car Toyota Camry 2007 XLE is acting up with incessant blast of its theft alarm system. The thing is becoming headache for me, it is just disturbing my environment.
How do I control this?

NB: It is not triggered by touch, vibration or noise. It will just start making noise on its own.
Sir it could be faulty. You can have it repair at our workshop AUTOMEDICS in Ikeja at affordable price
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by Nobody: 6:39pm On Apr 04, 2018
BISSE32:
Good morning colleagues

My new tokumbo Peugeot 206 2003 model was observed consuming too much fuel beyond normal use, bcoz I full it's tank to the reserve level. But it has consumed morethern quarter of a tank in just less than 100km.

Please I need your advice on how to rectify the problem

You can bring you car to our workshop for diagnosis AUTOMEDICS in IKeja
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by SmartToyota(m): 7:42pm On Apr 04, 2018
Sorry for your predicament. I leave this to the AC gurus here to help you besides was the compressor new or toks? Did you also check it before he installed it? And again try scanning the car too.
etech:
I have issues with my car AC( Nissan primeria 2003) after taking it to the AC tech, the guy checked said the compressor and dryer is bad, which he changed and did some services.

After that the AC worked well very, but the issue is that after a while it cuts off he checked the gas pressure said it is ok that i should check with a rewire that its electrical problem. the rewire checked and said we should connect the fan and ac direct instead of routing it through the thermostat which we did still my AC cuts of after a while and and too much touch touch will spoil the car.

something tells me that the compressor my AC tech got for me is the problem because the compressor in the car before the change is auto while the one he got is manual according to him it works better than auto compressor.

Please i need your help kindly advise me on what to do.

Many thanks.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by Shugarlord213: 12:31am On Apr 05, 2018
Shugarlord213:
Hey guys some one help plsss is custom papers needed for a Toyota Camry 2000

Smarttoyota embarassed
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by UceeGod: 9:20pm On Apr 05, 2018
nurey:

Why Disc Brakes are Preferred to Drum Brakes

http://autoclinix.com.ng/2018/04/05/disc-brakes-preferred-drum-brakes/

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by SmartToyota(m): 9:35pm On Apr 05, 2018
Are you buying nigerian used?
Shugarlord213:

Smarttoyota embarassed
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by obmade: 10:32pm On Apr 05, 2018
Wow! UceeGod, thanks for the link. These are the things my mechanic was talking about. Nurey, abeg come o. Check the link out, what do you think?

UceeGod:

Why Disc Brakes are Preferred to Drum Brakes

http://autoclinix.com.ng/2018/04/05/disc-brakes-preferred-drum-brakes/
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 10:42pm On Apr 05, 2018
obmade:
Wow! UceeGod, thanks for the link. These are the things my mechanic was talking about. Nurey, abeg come o. Check the link out, what do you think?

your mechanic is only interested in fleecing you, there is no need to run disc brake at the rear of your car, is toyota engineers stupid to install drum brakes in 90% of corolla at the rear.

You can install disc brake at the rear if you wish, but the drum brakes fixed therein gets the job done perfectly. installing disc is just going the extra mile or wait, did you qualify for grand prix?
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by obmade: 6:09am On Apr 06, 2018
Hahaha @ quote! cheesy

But Nurey, did you read the advantages listed in the link and reasons why most high performance cars use disc brakes in the rear? Seems kinda plausible. I'll push my research further and see. If I feel comfy about it, I'll deal.

NB
In my previous car (which I had for over 5years), unless maybe I'd used to buy substandard drum brakes, a lot of the time it seemed like the front brakes were mostly left to work by themselves. And you know, when the rear brake don't function well, pressure is shifted to the front, making wear and tear even faster.

Thanks though Nurey, you are a patient giver of advice.

nurey:

[s]your mechanic is only interested in fleecing you, there is no need to run disc brake at the rear of your car, is toyota engineers stupid to install drum brakes in 90% of corolla at the rear.

You can install disc brake at the rear if you wish, but the drum brakes fixed therein gets the job done perfectly. installing disc is just going the extra mile[/s] or wait, did you qualify for grand prix?
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by timifakay(m): 8:23am On Apr 06, 2018
obmade:
Hahaha @ quote! cheesy

But Nurey, did you read the advantages listed in the link and reasons why most high performance cars use disc brakes in the rear? Seems kinda plausible. I'll push my research further and see. If I feel comfy about it, I'll deal.

NB
In my previous car (which I had for over 5years), unless maybe I'd used to buy substandard drum brakes, a lot of the time it seemed like the front brakes were mostly left to work by themselves. And you know, when the rear brake don't function well, pressure is shifted to the front, making wear and tear even faster.

LOL.
The guy who posted link will soon direct you to come for the conversion at his workshop.

The article sounds more like opinions, than facts and figures.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by Shugarlord213: 11:45am On Apr 06, 2018
SmartToyota:
Are you buying nigerian used?

Yes I am buying naija used
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 12:08pm On Apr 06, 2018
obmade:
Hahaha @ quote! cheesy

NB

I already know disc has advantage over drum in heat transfer, but also improvement has been made greatly in brake system that even a drum brake on all four tyres would be effective.
in a FWD configuration majority of brake power is needed in the front that is where power nd weight I concentrated, so disc is used infront while the drum at the rear provides additional assistance.

the only corolla model fitted with disc at both ends is the XRS same for matrix and pontiac with the addition of the AWD to the matrix/pontiac vibe, this configuration comes with a 2.4L engine against the 1.6 or 1.8L stock engine these configuration were meant to be performance car (I really don't see any much performance sha grin).

is running disc at the rear ok? yes it is

will disc brakes at the rear give me an advantage? yes

is fixing disc at the rear better than drum? the gain in fixing disc against drum is negligible

why do majority corolla users replace drum with disc? for aesthetic purposes as the disc with matching alloy rim gives the tires a unique look.

which one last longer, disc or drum? drum brakes last longer due to their protective design enclosure while disc brakes need constant checks and change due to exposure to sand and stones.

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by Shugarlord213: 7:37pm On Apr 06, 2018
WHAT service can I do to keep my car smooth going without faults

I use a Camry 2000

What oil is needed, please someone should put me through. I just keep warming the car without knowing other necessary things

Gazzuzz smartoyota nurey

Please my sweet men help me so I don’t visit kazeems too much
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by erico2k2(m): 7:41pm On Apr 06, 2018
obmade:

This is true,my Mrs owned a Mitsubishi with this at the rear, God it was head ache,

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by Shugarlord213: 7:42pm On Apr 06, 2018
Shugarlord213:

I use a Camry 2000

What oil is needed, please someone should put me through. I just keep warming the car without knowing other necessary things

Gazzuzz smartoyota nurey

Please maintenance suggestions is needed pls
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by erico2k2(m): 7:44pm On Apr 06, 2018
Shugarlord213:

I use a Camry 2000

Gazzuzz smartoyota nurey

Use the right OIl (Gazzuzz))
Avoid kazeems
Buy and original break Pad and Spark Plug plus Oil filter(xpenssive we know but last longer
Never rewire ur car
Leave your thermostat on
Never wire ur car direct
follow manufactureres maintainance schedule
try and change most of ur sensors its a 2000 car its 18 years old so Old, them lot would be wearing out.if U have timing belt or chain change it as its old as well b4 it gives way
@ the age of ur car, your hubs and bearing should be changed with new ones, do this at ur convinience b4 it puts U down

Re: Car Talk Chat Room by Shugarlord213: 7:47pm On Apr 06, 2018
erico2k2:

Use the right OIl (Gazzuzz))
Avoid kazeems
Buy and original break Pad and Spark Plug plus Oil filter(xpenssive we know but last longer
Never rewire ur car
Leave your thermostat on
Never wire ur car direct
follow manufactureres maintainance schedule
try and change most of ur sensors its a 2000 car its 18 years old so Old, them lot would be wearing out.if U have timing belt or chain change it as its old as well b4 it gives way
@ the age of ur car, your hubs and bearing should be changed with new ones, do this at ur convinience b4 it puts U down

What oil is recommended. I didn’t see any manual accompanying the car God Bless you sir
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by erico2k2(m): 8:09pm On Apr 06, 2018
Shugarlord213:

What oil is recommended. I didn’t see any manual accompanying the car God Bless you sir
you can get it on Line.
here
https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/owners-manuals/camry/2000

5w-20 or 5w-30,
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by obmade: 10:40pm On Apr 06, 2018
Thanks Nurey, now I see your point. Makes sense. Thanks for going the extra mile. God bless you, you will not hustle, good things will come to you with ease. Cheers.

nurey:

I already know disc has advantage over drum in heat transfer, but also improvement has been made greatly in brake system that even a drum brake on all four tyres would be effective.
in a FWD configuration majority of brake power is needed in the front that is where power nd weight I concentrated, so disc is used infront while the drum at the rear provides additional assistance.

the only corolla model fitted with disc at both ends is the XRS same for matrix and pontiac with the addition of the AWD to the matrix/pontiac vibe, this configuration comes with a 2.4L engine against the 1.6 or 1.8L stock engine these configuration were meant to be performance car (I really don't see any much performance sha grin).

is running disc at the rear ok? yes it is

will disc brakes at the rear give me an advantage? yes

is fixing disc at the rear better than drum? the gain in fixing disc against drum is negligible

why do majority corolla users replace drum with disc? for aesthetic purposes as the disc with matching alloy rim gives the tires a unique look.

which one last longer, disc or drum? drum brakes last longer due to their protective design enclosure while disc brakes need constant checks and change due to exposure to sand and stones.
Re: Car Talk Chat Room by nurey(m): 10:53pm On Apr 06, 2018
obmade:
Thanks Nurey, now I see your point. Makes sense. Thanks for going the extra mile. God bless you, you will not hustle, good things will come to you with ease. Cheers.

Thanks for the prayer. If he is changing ensure he does a swap from identical vehicle (getting parts from XRS corolla/vibe/matrix) not using any other setup to keep complication less, reduce chances of ABS error code and ensure uniformity in all wheels

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (222) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54