Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,430 members, 7,819,557 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

Doubt Of The Senses. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Doubt Of The Senses. (862 Views)

Finally, Evolution Of Man Proved Beyond Doubt / Still Having Doubt About Tithing.....? / Signpost Miracle: Mentally Challenged Man Regains Senses After Praying At The Fo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doubt Of The Senses. by Kay17: 3:51pm On Jul 12, 2013
If we condemn Reason and Faith, with their lofty standards and fantasy, how well can we trust our senses? What connection exists between reality and our senses, there isn't any means of verifying the authenticity of our sensual perception.

Although we are reliable on them for our everyday experiences, and so familiar with them that we take their validity for granted.

NOW of what substance or character would the validation of sensory perception have? Will it be a physical phenomenon?
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by Nobody: 9:20am On Nov 13, 2013
Kay 17: If we condemn Reason and Faith, with their lofty standards and fantasy, how well can we trust our senses? What connection exists between reality and our senses, there isn't any means of verifying the authenticity of our sensual perception.

Although we are reliable on them for our everyday experiences, and so familiar with them that we take their validity for granted.

NOW of what substance or character would the validation of sensory perception have? Will it be a physical phenomenon?
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by DeepSight(m): 9:38am On Nov 13, 2013
Kay 17: If we condemn Reason and Faith, with their lofty standards and fantasy, how well can we trust our senses? What connection exists between reality and our senses, there isn't any means of verifying the authenticity of our sensual perception.

You are heading down the path of meaninglessness started here -

https://www.nairaland.com/1493701/philosophy-truth-through-pictorial-arguments#19113797

Nothing can be known.

Happy?

Live with it.
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by Joshthefirst(m): 11:09pm On Nov 13, 2013
Deep Sight:

https://www.nairaland.com/1493701/philosophy-truth-through-pictorial-arguments#19113797

Nothing can be known.

Happy?

Live with it.
grin grin grin
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by Kay17: 11:25pm On Nov 13, 2013
Deep Sight:

Nothing can be known.

Happy?

Live with it.

Nooo! I'm not making the same conclusions as the thread link herein, rather I'm desirous of making an epistemological foundation which is most desired in debates of a philosophical/theological natures. Before we head to the farm, our tools must be sharpened.

I will quote Descartes as to the importance of this exercise.

Accordingly, seeing that our senses sometimes deceive us, I was willing to suppose that there existed nothing really such as they presented to us; and because some men err in reasoning, and fall into paralogisms, even on the simplest matters of geometry, I, convinced that I was as open to error as any other, rejected as false all the reasonings I had hitherto taken for demonstrations; and finally, when I considered that the very same thoughts (presentations) which we experience when awake may also be experienced when we are asleep, while there is at that time not one of them true, I supposed that all the objects (presentations) that had ever entered into my mind when awake, had in them no more truth than the illusions of my dreams. But immediately upon this I observed that, whilst I thus wished to think that all was false, it was absolutely necessary that I, who thus thought, should be somewhat; and as I observed that this truth, I think, therefore I am, was so certain and of such evidence that no ground of doubt, however extravagant, could be alleged by the sceptics capable of shaking it, I concluded that I might, without scruple, accept it as the first principle of the philosophy of which I was in search

As to your objection, it has no bearing on my skepticism, it is either an argument is true or false not meaningless. By making the meaningless argument, you beg the question and falsity has little consequence if swollen with meaning. In fact all is acceptable as long it carries meaning. This is the consequence of your bad argument.
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by Joshthefirst(m): 11:36pm On Nov 13, 2013
Here's something important for both you and deepsight to ponder on ma'am. I hope you read it all and think about it.

I will open a thread about it tomorrow hopefully. Its very serious.

1 corinthians 1:18  For the story and message of the cross is sheer absurdity and folly to those who are perishing and on their way to perdition, but to us who are being saved it is the [manifestation of] the power of God. 19  For it is written, I will baffle and render useless and destroy the learning of the learned and the philosophy of the philosophers and the cleverness of the clever and the discernment of the discerning; I will frustrate and nullify [them] and bring [them] to nothing. 20  Where is the wise man (the philosopher)? Where is the scribe (the scholar)? Where is the investigator (the logician, the debater) of this present time and age? Has not God shown up the nonsense and the folly of this world’s wisdom? 21  For when the world with all its earthly wisdom failed to perceive and recognize and know God by means of its own philosophy, God in His wisdom was pleased through the foolishness of preaching [salvation, procured by Christ and to be had through Him], to save those who believed (who clung to and trusted in and relied on Him).
(AMP)

Here's another translation

1 Corinthians 1:18-21 The Message that points to Christ on the Cross seems like sheer silliness to those hellbent on destruction, but for those on the way of salvation it makes perfect sense. This is the way God works, and most powerfully as it turns out. It's written,
I'll turn conventional wisdom on its head, I'll expose so-called experts as crackpots. So where can you find someone truly wise, truly educated, truly intelligent in this day and age? Hasn't God exposed it all as pretentious nonsense? Since the world in all its fancy wisdom never had a clue when it came to knowing God, God in his wisdom took delight in using what the world considered dumb—preaching, of all things!—to bring those who trust him into the way of salvation.

It baffles me when human wisdom blows up simple matters into complexity.
It baffles me to think people read the bible, and ignore these words that adress every issue humans can ever bring up.
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by Kay17: 6:10am On Nov 14, 2013
Joshthefirst: Here's something important for both you and deepsight to ponder on ma'am. I hope you read it all and think about it.

I will open a thread about it tomorrow hopefully. Its very serious.

1 corinthians 1:18  For the story and message of the cross is sheer absurdity and folly to those who are perishing and on their way to perdition, but to us who are being saved it is the [manifestation of] the power of God. 19  For it is written, I will baffle and render useless and destroy the learning of the learned and the philosophy of the philosophers and the cleverness of the clever and the discernment of the discerning; I will frustrate and nullify [them] and bring [them] to nothing. 20  Where is the wise man (the philosopher)? Where is the scribe (the scholar)? Where is the investigator (the logician, the debater) of this present time and age? Has not God shown up the nonsense and the folly of this world’s wisdom? 21  For when the world with all its earthly wisdom failed to perceive and recognize and know God by means of its own philosophy, God in His wisdom was pleased through the foolishness of preaching [salvation, procured by Christ and to be had through Him], to save those who believed (who clung to and trusted in and relied on Him).
(AMP)

Here's another translation

1 Corinthians 1:18-21 The Message that points to Christ on the Cross seems like sheer silliness to those hellbent on destruction, but for those on the way of salvation it makes perfect sense. This is the way God works, and most powerfully as it turns out. It's written,
I'll turn conventional wisdom on its head, I'll expose so-called experts as crackpots. So where can you find someone truly wise, truly educated, truly intelligent in this day and age? Hasn't God exposed it all as pretentious nonsense? Since the world in all its fancy wisdom never had a clue when it came to knowing God, God in his wisdom took delight in using what the world considered dumb—preaching, of all things!—to bring those who trust him into the way of salvation.

It baffles me when human wisdom blows up simple matters into complexity.
It baffles me to think people read the bible, and ignore these words that adress every issue humans can ever bring up.

It is not unexpected that you'd consider the subject of this thread unnecessary/unimportant. You are able to found your most important truths on mere faith, but can the truth be backed up by a lie?! No. Of what use is holding on to false beliefs because of our pyschological demand for meaning and God?!

The purpose of this thread is to draw up the criteria and requirements for the truth.
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by Joshthefirst(m): 6:52am On Nov 14, 2013
Kay 17:

It is not unexpected that you'd consider the subject of this thread unnecessary/unimportant. You are able to found your most important truths on mere faith, but can the truth be backed up by a lie?! No. Of what use is holding on to false beliefs because of our pyschological demand for meaning and God?!

The purpose of this thread is to draw up the criteria and requirements for the truth.
what is truth?
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by Kay17: 9:22am On Nov 14, 2013
Truth is what's real. A bearing/conformity with reality.
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by Joshthefirst(m): 9:26am On Nov 14, 2013
Kay 17: Truth is what's real. A bearing/conformity with reality.
what is reality in your opinion?
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by Nobody: 9:27am On Nov 14, 2013
Kay 17: Truth is what's real. A bearing/conformity with reality.
Ambiguous, as we do not all share the same view of reality. I think truth is what is objectively verifiable e.g nature.
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by Joshthefirst(m): 9:29am On Nov 14, 2013
aManFromMars:
Ambiguous, as we do not all share the same view of reality. I think truth is what is objectively verifiable e.g nature.
you agree that truth is objective then? And you agree that truth exists?
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by Joshthefirst(m): 9:31am On Nov 14, 2013
Do you also agree that there is objective reality?
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by Kay17: 9:31am On Nov 14, 2013
aManFromMars:

"Truth is what is objectively verifiable" is an epistemological consideration, you chain the truth to our sensory bias.
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by DeepSight(m): 2:42pm On Nov 15, 2013
Kay 17:

"Truth is what is objectively verifiable" is an epistemological consideration, you chain the truth to our sensory bias.

Is there anything that can be objectively verified by something other than our five senses?

The same senses, which you, and rigmaroler plaetton, question and doubt.

Therefore how can anything whatsoever be ever known objectively?
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 15, 2013
*following*

Watching from the sidelines.
Re: Doubt Of The Senses. by Kay17: 11:11pm On Nov 15, 2013
Deep Sight:

Is there anything that can be objectively verified by something other than our five senses?

The same senses, which you, and rigmaroler plaetton, question and doubt.

Therefore how can anything whatsoever be ever known objectively?

My OP clearly states my intentions, I'm not saying as an absolute truth that there isn't an objective world, rather its a search for validity and truth.

(1) (Reply)

Church Sacks Pastor For Attending Rick Ross Concert / ASUU Wetin I Do You? Funny Church Banner Emerges As ASUU Prolongs Strike (pics) / Confused And Don't Know What To Do...prove That Before Abraham Jesus Was Born.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.