Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,929 members, 7,828,224 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush (29615 Views)

The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush / How Long Have You Used Your Toothbrush? / How Often Should You Change Your Toothbrush? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Wendyphil(f): 2:49pm On Jul 14, 2013
Blessmira: C hw pple de waste money 4 toothbrush n paste, wen u can buy bundles of chewin stick n powdered charcoal. E go b lyk say u use hypo 4 ur teeth. lol cheesy
Very true.

1 Like

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jul 14, 2013
chei: Always brush your teeth with dettol. It kills germs
u r a killer!

1 Like

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by abduldope(m): 2:52pm On Jul 14, 2013
wan tin wen una no knw b say smaLL sickness no de kiLL black man grin grin grin
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by nenergy(m): 3:03pm On Jul 14, 2013
demmy55: •Whenever toothbrushes touch, they can swap germs.
Infra-red, bluetooth or wifi?lol Nice post!

1 Like

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by RedCard1(m): 3:10pm On Jul 14, 2013
And I have been using one toothbrush since january....am changing it right now.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by sholly2000ng(m): 3:20pm On Jul 14, 2013
kkk
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by demsy21(m): 3:22pm On Jul 14, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin grin kiss
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by IAMBREEZY: 3:22pm On Jul 14, 2013
chei: Always brush your teeth with dettol. It kills germs
i guess that's what u re using,ok carry on
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Timijo(m): 3:23pm On Jul 14, 2013
demmy55: Do You Know What's Lurking on Your Toothbrush?

Your toothbrush is loaded with germs, say researchers at England's University of Manchester. They've found that one uncovered toothbrush can harbor more than 100 million bacteria, including E. coli bacteria, which can cause diarrhea, and staphylococci (Staph) bacteria that cause skin infections. grin

But don't panic. Your mouth wasn't exactly sterile to begin with. shocked

Mouthful of Bacteria
"The bottom line is, there (are) hundreds of microorganisms in our mouths every day," says Gayle McCombs, RDH, MS, associate professor and director of the Dental Hygiene Research Center at Old Dominion University.

That's no big deal. Problems only start when there is an unhealthy balance of bacteria in the mouth, McCombs says.

"It's important to remember that plaque -- the stuff you're removing from your teeth -- is bacteria," says dentist Kimberly Harms, DDS, consumer advisor for the American Dental Association. "So you're putting bacteria on your toothbrush every time you brush your teeth." wink

Could Your Toothbrush Be Making You Sick?
Probably not. Regardless of how many bacteria live in your mouth or have gotten in there via your toothbrush, your body's natural defenses make it highly unlikely that you're going to develop an infection simply from brushing your teeth.

"Fortunately, the human body is usually able to defend itself from bacteria," Harms says. "So we aren't aware of any real evidence that sitting the toothbrush in your bathroom in the toothbrush holder is causing any real damage or harm. We don't know that the bacteria on there are translating into infections."

Still, you should exercise some common sense about storing your toothbrush, including how close it is to the toilet.

Toothbrush Storage Tips
Once you've moved your toothbrush away from the toilet, here are a few other storage tips to keep your brush as germ-free as possible:

•Keep it rinsed. Wash off your toothbrush thoroughly with tap water every time you use it.

•Keep it dry. "Bacteria love a moist environment," Harms says. Make sure your brush has a chance to dry thoroughly between brushings. Avoid using toothbrush covers, which can create a moist enclosed breeding ground for bacteria.

•Keep it upright. Store your toothbrush upright in a holder, rather than lying it down.

•Keep it to yourself. No matter how close you are to your sister, brother, spouse, or roommate, don't ever use their toothbrush. Don't even store your toothbrush side-by-side in the same cup with other people's brushes.

•Whenever toothbrushes touch, they can swap germs.

When to Toss Your Toothbrush
The best way to limit the bacteria on your toothbrush is to replace it on a regular basis.
The American Dental Association recommends throwing out your toothbrush every three to four months. If the bristles become frayed, you're sick, or you have a weak immune system, throw it out even more often. If you use an electric toothbrush, throw out the head as often as you'd discard a disposable toothbrush.

Wish you goodluck with a little patience on the toothbrush grin

http://www.medicinenet.com/truth_about_your_toothbrush_pictures_slideshow/article.htm

What of those wey they use chewing stick and those wey toothbrush and chewing never touch their teeth since wen den don born dem? E.g. The abokis
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by diamond002: 3:34pm On Jul 14, 2013
olumaxi: exactly,cos if i dont take kia of u,who wil
Ha‎=))•´¨) 
¸.•´ ¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸¸.•´(¸.•´(¸.• =)) нaнaнaнaнa
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by 360command: 3:38pm On Jul 14, 2013
Op, shud I stop kissing my girlfriend too?
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by demmy55(m): 3:45pm On Jul 14, 2013
linearity:

..but you are at least, still allowed to kiss your spouse or significant other mouth to mouth or we should only be doing light pecking on the cheek now?

And your spouse should be carrying anti bacterial disinfecting wipes all the time to immediately wipe out the peck from his/her cheek for fear of the bacterial spreading or getting into his/her skin through some small openings or cut.

360command:
op should I stop kissing my girlfriend too?

Kissing is allowed but if you french kiss, u r on a long tin wink
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:47pm On Jul 14, 2013
use your hand.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by demmy55(m): 3:49pm On Jul 14, 2013
Timijo: What of those wey they use chewing stick and those wey toothbrush and chewing never touch their teeth since wen den don born dem? E.g. The abokis

The chewing stick can still harbor germs from the mouth and also if exposed after use; unless it is replaced or the chewed area is cut off.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by dsypha(m): 4:08pm On Jul 14, 2013
u neva serious@Op pls dnt let my baby see this, except u use ur sista replace her, I love kissing. if she see dis, I will be on a long tin
angry
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Policewoman(f): 4:23pm On Jul 14, 2013
No more toothbrush for me. I will revert to my dogonyaro chewing stick henceforth.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by demmy55(m): 4:24pm On Jul 14, 2013
dsypha: u neva serious@Op pls dnt let my baby see this, except u use ur sista replace her, I love kissing. if she see dis, I will be on a long tin
angry

grin grin grin
tongue
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by rodeo0070(m): 4:34pm On Jul 14, 2013

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by hapson: 4:37pm On Jul 14, 2013
That is why kissing is a very bad way of being romantic, if common toothbrushes stored in same place can cause harm I wonder how many transfer of bacteria will occur during kissing. Ur teeth can be the whitest yet it has diseases.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by haykayforreal(m): 4:56pm On Jul 14, 2013
I think it is right to keep ur brush in a cup and place it in a fridge everyday,d temp in dat fridge will inhibit d grow of any organisms,so it is safer if u av fridge. ;DI think it is right to keep ur brush in a cup and place it in a fridge everyday,d temp in dat fridge will inhibit d grow of any organisms,so it is safer if u av fridge.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 14, 2013
@Op; nice one; that's why it's advised to change your toothbrush regularly for health reasons and also to keep your teeth healthy....
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by mygee33(m): 4:58pm On Jul 14, 2013
where can i buy toothbrush
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Blessmira: 5:10pm On Jul 14, 2013
mygee33: where can i buy toothbrush

Oya come ma shop. i get Jordan, Dr White, Oral B, Close up, Macleans , em em em....*tinkin of d oda ones...* Lol cheesy
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jul 14, 2013
Another stewwwwwwpid research.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by dokunbam(m): 5:30pm On Jul 14, 2013
No more BJs cos there is no D!ck paste

Since there millions of germs in the mouth, d!icks are at risk
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by rodeo0070(m): 5:42pm On Jul 14, 2013
mygee33: where can i buy toothbrush
Methinks, this is better...

Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by ProfEinstein: 6:03pm On Jul 14, 2013
ok we don hear
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by somalia11: 6:09pm On Jul 14, 2013
i brush my teeth 2 times a day, before bed and in the morning. I floss my teeth at night. I use an electric brush and change the head every 3 months. i also rinse my mouth in the morning and night with mouth wash to strenghten my enamel and kill any bacteria. I stay away from going downtown on women.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by alyarmouk(m): 6:25pm On Jul 14, 2013
my tooth brush don divide like red sea buh i still dey use am.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by stunning4real: 6:47pm On Jul 14, 2013
I use d same brush and sponge wit my hubby.
Re: The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush by bebechuks: 7:07pm On Jul 14, 2013
Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bad Nigerian Habits That Increase Your Blood Pressure / Lady Died After Her Husband Refused To Allow Doctors Take Out Her Ruptured Womb / Questions Over Nigeria Virus Measures As Lockdown Period Ends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.