Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,930 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Nigeria Acquires Drones? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Acquires Drones? (30540 Views)

RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) / Nigerian Airforce Acquires Sophisticated Aircraft To Protect Nigeria / Jimi Agbaje Drones Monitor Lagos Elections – Rare Footage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by Nobody: 12:06am On Jul 14, 2013
toni tone: @Shy-M, i need to prove you wrong with hard data, please compare ur ethiopia hardaware count and military yearly budget with Nigeria..

(a). 7 African Countries With the Highest Military Strength and Fire Power below

http://answersafrica.com/7-african-countries-with-highest-military-strength.html

(b). You also said that Algeria is ahead of Nigeria, please check data from the renowned Globalfirepower current ratings of African military giants below.......

www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing-africa.asp

The rating is absurd. Where the hell did Nigeria get 294 air crafts from? Ethiopia is ahead of Nigeria and South Africa, on both lists but Nigeria should NEVER be ranked higher than Algeria. It was probably done based on population.

Compare for yourself:

Nigeria
364 tanks, 1400 armoured vehicles, 294 air crafts, 84 helicopters, and $2.2billion budget.

Algeria
1000 tanks, 1800 armoured vehicles, 400 air crafts, 136 helicopters, 3 submarines, s300 air defense system, 12 coastal crafts, and $8 billion budget.

^^^Now tell me why Nigeria was ranked ahead of Algeria on that list? undecided
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by solomon111(m): 12:08am On Jul 14, 2013
ShyM-X:
Israel Sold Non-Functional Drones To Nigeria For [size=14pt]$240m[/size]

Nigerian defence and security equipment contractor, Alh. Rabiu Hassan, yesterday, alleged that some Israeli security contractors (names withheld) were fleecing the nation of huge sums of money in hard currencies by supplying either non-functional equipments or collecting mobilisation fees without making supplies.

The contractor told journalists in Abuja that at a time the nation was facing dire security challenges, three Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, UAVs, popularly known as drones, supplied by the Israelis were rotting away in a hangar in Benin because they were non-functional.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/isreali-contractors-sold-nigeria-240m-non-functional-drones/
I don't have the real details as i have heard conflicting stories.
I think this issue was what necessitated the investment in local drones manufacture.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by Onlytruth(m): 12:12am On Jul 14, 2013
ShyM-X:

The rating is absurd. Where the hell did Nigeria get 294 air crafts from? Ethiopia is ahead of Nigeria and South Africa, on both lists but Nigeria should NEVER be ranked higher than Algeria. It was probably done based on population.

Compare for yourself:

Nigeria
364 tanks, 1400 armoured vehicles, 294 air crafts, 84 helicopters, and $2.2billion budget.

Algeria
1000 tanks, 1800 armoured vehicles, 400 air crafts, 136 helicopters, 3 submarines, s300 air defense system, 12 coastal crafts, and $8 billion budget.

Apart from the subs and the S300s the rest of the arms are pretty much useless in modern warfare.
You should first find out which aircraft the Algerians are flying.
Give me 10 F-15s and take 1000 African airforce grade aircrafts made up of mainly old Russian garbage planes.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by solomon111(m): 12:13am On Jul 14, 2013
ShyM-X:

Compare for yourself:

Nigeria

Algeria

One thing you should note is that the Nigerian military is very secretive.
There is no accurate external source that can tell you the amount of hardwares in the military.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by solomon111(m): 12:18am On Jul 14, 2013
Onlytruth:

Apart from the subs and the S300s the rest of the arms are pretty much useless in modern warfare.
Give me 10 F-15s and take 1000 African airforce grade aircrafts made up of mainly old Russian garbage planes.
I will rather get SU-30.
American planes are ridiculously overpriced.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by Onlytruth(m): 12:18am On Jul 14, 2013
solomon111: One thing you should note is that the Nigerian military is very secretive.
There is no accurate external source that can tell you the amount of hardwares in the military.

Olboy this your "Nigerian military is very secretive" is an old excuse for having a poorly equipped military. I've been hearing it from my high school days! lol
No one would deny when a long range missile is tested. FACT.
No one would deny when a rocket carrying vital intelligence gadgets is put into space from Nigerian territory.
No one would deny when a submarine participates in Nigeria naval maneuvers.

I hope you get the point.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by Onlytruth(m): 12:19am On Jul 14, 2013
solomon111: I will rather get SU-30.
American planes are ridiculously overpriced.

But they are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better, and worth every red cent.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by solomon111(m): 12:26am On Jul 14, 2013
Onlytruth:

But they are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better, and worth every red cent.
Not in all cases.
The SU-30 was made to counter the threat of F-18s and it cost far less.
The russians currently have SU-37 or something to counter the F-35,and i am sure the difference in price will be astronomical with little or no difference in capabilities.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by tonitone1(m): 12:26am On Jul 14, 2013
@ShyM-X....check all rankings on the net, Nigeria is rated higher than Algeria, mind you, it's not the quantity of hardware alone that counts, quality, modern technology and a host of other tools are used to arrive at the rankings. Nb. why do you doubt that the nigerian airforce had as much as 294 aircrafts?.....sorry, that is absolutely true

The Global Fire Power ranks countries of
the world every year according to their
military strength and fire power. Up to
40 different ranking tools and
parameters are used such that a smaller
country with good military intelligence
competes favorably well with a highly
populated country with lots of great foot
soldiers.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by Nobody: 12:26am On Jul 14, 2013
Onlytruth:

They have got 44 Su-30MKI(4th generation fighter jet) that's the Russian version of F-15, Dassault Rafale and Eurofighter Typhoon

48 MiG-25

35 MiG-29 - f-16 and F/A-18 Hornet Russian equivalent.

45 Su-24 - British Panavia Tornado Russian equivalent.

That's pretty impressive for an African country.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by Nobody: 12:29am On Jul 14, 2013
solomon111: One thing you should note is that the Nigerian military is very secretive.

Secretive or not, we don't have any 4th gen fighter jets worth talking about, no air defense, rubbish navy etc..

Please, let's be honest and not let patriotism blind our consciousness. Patriotism won't save naija if the country were to be attacked by a formidable power. You need tools for that.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by Nobody: 12:31am On Jul 14, 2013
toni tone: @ShyM-X....check all rankings on the net, Nigeria is rated higher than Algeria, mind you, it's not the quantity of hardware alone that counts, quality, modern technology and a host of other tools are used to arrive at the rankings. Nb. why do you doubt that the nigerian airforce had as much as 294 aircrafts?.....sorry, that is absolutely true

The Global Fire Power ranks countries of
the world every year according to their
military strength and fire power. Up to
40 different ranking tools and
parameters are used such that a smaller
country with good military intelligence
competes favorably well with a highly
populated country with lots of great foot
soldiers.

It was based on population and men of military age.

You and I know that naija has less than 100 working air crafts(and that's being generous). About 10 F-7s and probably a dozen alpha jets - what else? undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by solomon111(m): 12:33am On Jul 14, 2013
ShyM-X:

They have got 44 Su-30MKI(4th generation fighter jet) that's the Russian version of F-15, Dassault Rafale and Eurofighter Typhoon

48 MiG-25

35 MiG-29 - f-16 and F/A-18 Hornet Russian equivalent.

45 Su-24 - British Panavia Tornado Russian equivalent.

That's pretty impressive for an African country.
With an annual defence budget of more than $8billion,i am not surprised.
I am sure GEJ would be eaten alive by Nigerians, if he proposed that amount for the military.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by Nobody: 12:37am On Jul 14, 2013
solomon111: With an annual defence budget of more than $8billion,i am not surprised.
I am sure GEJ would be eaten alive by Nigerians, if he proposed that amount for the military.

The $240 million we wasted on messed up drones should be able to get us about 20 F-16s, or 10 F-15s.

It isn't about budget, we're just to corrupt and we lack foresight and good leadership, that's the honest truth.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by solomon111(m): 12:38am On Jul 14, 2013
ShyM-X:

Secretive or not, we don't have any 4th gen fighter jets worth talking about, no air defense, rubbish navy etc..

Please, let's be honest and not let patriotism blind our consciousness. Patriotism won't save naija if the country were to be attacked by a formidable power. You need tools for that.
Well,i agree with you.
We need to upgrade the airforce quickly as battles are won from the air.
Though i believe if a significant threat emerges,the military will expand rapidly.
Afterall,we are africa's second largest economy.
We should have twice the defence budget of algeria.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by solomon111(m): 12:40am On Jul 14, 2013
ShyM-X:

The $240 million we wasted on messed up drones should be able to get us about 20 F-16s, or 10 F-15s.

It isn't about budget, we're just to corrupt and we lack foresight and good leadership, that's the honest truth.
I still do not believe that we wasted $240 million on fake drones.
That would be really bad.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by solomon111(m): 1:04am On Jul 14, 2013
Agaugust my oga.
I can see you o.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by SUBMARINE: 1:18am On Jul 14, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]
solomon111: I still do not believe that we wasted $240 million on fake drones.
That would be really bad.
Solomon 111 pls try to understand ShyM-X point. Only weak nations depend heavily on foreign arms. E.g Nigeria & African Nations
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by hunter21(m): 1:45am On Jul 14, 2013
ShyM-X:

So you are actually a nigerian and you keep saying "your country" as if you are not part of the system. Your fellow compatriots built a drone with the little resources available to them, You call it scrap metal. What have you done to make this country proud.
You find it easy to take a neutral position and laugh at our shortcomings where i come from, your type of people are refered to as bastards. You are an infidel, you are unfaithfull, you are a sly.
Go and nationalise to become an algerian because of fighter jets.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by kabba7(m): 2:22am On Jul 14, 2013
Can this be deployed to wipe out all the looters in Abuja at a go? They are 10 tines worst than Boko Haram
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by enny5: 3:33am On Jul 14, 2013
so we have money for drones!!!1 na wa ooo
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by donodion(m): 3:40am On Jul 14, 2013
toni tone: Table 2: List of Countries reported by US GAO to posses drones.
Algeria Egypt Lebanon Singapore

Angola Estonia Libya Slovakia

Argentina Ethiopia Lithuania Slovenia

Australia Finland Malaysia South Africa

Austria France Mexico Spain

Azerbaijan Georgia Morocco Sri Lanaka

Belarus Germany Netherlands Sweden

Belgium Greece New Zealand Switzerland

Botswana Hungary NIGERIA Syria

Brazil India Norway Taiwan

Bulgaria Indonesia Pakistan Thailand

Burundi Iran Panama Trinidad & Tobago

Canada Israel Peru Tunisia

Chile Italy Philippines Turkey

China Ivory Coast Poland Uganda

Colombia Japan Republic of Korea Ukraine

Croatia Jordan Romania UAE

Czech Republic Kazakhstan Russia United Kingdom

Denmark Latvia Serbia United States

ref: http://www.globalresearch.ca/mapping-drone-proliferation-uavs-in-76-countries/5305191
@Naptu2,I know whenever I need info or updates on Naija military,you the right source to reach.
3 gbosa for representing jare.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by Nobody: 4:12am On Jul 14, 2013
This news was probably released, so that when American drones are allowed to cris-cross our airspace, we can be deceived to believe the drones are our own.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by naptu2: 5:28am On Jul 14, 2013
GenBuhari: This news was probably released, so that when American drones are allowed to cris-cross our airspace, we can be deceived to believe the drones are our own.

Your attention is needed here https://www.nairaland.com/1355454/guardian-newspapers-regrets-article-buhari#16746237
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by Qelvin(m): 5:31am On Jul 14, 2013
hunter2,1:

So you are actually a nigerian and you keep saying "your country" as if you are not part of the system. Your fellow compatriots built a drone with the little resources available to them, You call it scrap metal. What have you done to make this country proud.
You find it easy to take a neutral position and laugh at our shortcomings where i come from, your type of people are refered to as bastards. You are an infidel, you are unfaithfull, you are a sly.
Go and nationalise to become an algerian because of fighter jets.
the slag is just another hopeless and talent-less homeless bastard who has spent his entire life in the UK with little or no achievements,its very easy for such frustrated idiots to blame their woes on Nigeria or Nigerians in the diaspora(including the resourceful ones making waves in all spheres of human endeavor)
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by whitecat007: 7:19am On Jul 14, 2013
Arrgh!!! Why is it now difficult to post new topic on Nairaland even after following instructions?

We really need to talk about the acquittal of Trayvon Martin's killer. Shame on America's justice system.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by cold(m): 9:04am On Jul 14, 2013
ShyM-X:

Why are you insistent the drones were deficient like you know the inside workings of the Defence Ministry? Here's another version of events from a knowledgeable Nlander. We can't with any degree of certainty say either story is a true reflection of the drone fiasco

naptu2: I just read a report that said that the aerostar and seastar drones are not defective, but that they were grounded as a result of a dispute.

The report claimed that the drones were deployed to monitor pipelines (vandalisation, bunkering, etc), but that the data gotten from the drones is first taken to Israel and analysed there before being given to the Nigerian Government.

The government wasn't happy about this development because it expected that Nigerian technicians would have been trained to analyse the data (they fear that the Isrealis may gain vital intelligence and even edit or modify the data before it is given to the FG). This, the report claims, is one of the reasons that the FG decided to ground the drones and fast-track the development of the amebor series of drones.

I do not know if the report is accurate.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by Emperor007: 9:30am On Jul 14, 2013
Does any African military has nuke capability?

If no, they're all babies.

Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by ocelot2006(m): 9:32am On Jul 14, 2013
juman: Hiss. Useless country.

Mtchew. Useless Man.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by CAPTAIN44: 9:35am On Jul 14, 2013
i'm very sure this was invented by there youths but it is in nigeria that **elect-elect students in the university do their project on paper'' what a shame. i'm very sure this was invented by there youths but it is in nigeria that **elect-elect students in the university do their project on paper'' what a shame. i'm very sure this was invented by there youths but it is in nigeria that **elect-elect students in the university do their project on paper'' what a shame.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by ocelot2006(m): 9:41am On Jul 14, 2013
solomon111: Not in all cases.
The SU-30 was made to counter the threat of F-18s and it cost far less.
The russians currently have SU-37 or something to counter the F-35,and i am sure the difference in price will be astronomical with little or no difference in capabilities.

The Su-27 and subsequent variants (Su-30/35,etc) were designed to counter the deadly American F-15 Eagle, not the USN/USMC F-18 Hornet.

The Su-

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Heavy Rain Causes Flooding In Kano City (photos) / Tinubu's Messrs Hitech Stops Work On Lagos Roads Over Rift With Ambode / Kano And Kaduna Get Lion Share; Six Highlights Of Buhari’s Cabinet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.