Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,598 members, 7,820,146 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Nigeria Acquires Drones? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Acquires Drones? (30535 Views)

RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) / Nigerian Airforce Acquires Sophisticated Aircraft To Protect Nigeria / Jimi Agbaje Drones Monitor Lagos Elections – Rare Footage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by aalex1: 12:46pm On Jul 14, 2013
emitope: We av drones? And we still av security challenges? Whc kin country b dis sef! If we cnt use d drones, y acquire em in d first instance? Y not use d money to make pple's conditions beta? We obviously av d wrong set of leaders!
Politicians are using d drones to survey lands dat dey'll buy to build deir estates. grin
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by ocelot2006(m): 1:07pm On Jul 14, 2013
ShyM-X:

Even if it's a stopgap, we should at least have other air crafts, even if it's the Su-24s. Nigeria is just too big and too rich to be operating just alpha jets and J-7. Heck, before the UK received the Eurofighter Typhoon - Panavia Tornado F3 was the stopgap.

Anyway, I added Chinook because I don't think there's any other helicopter better than Chinook when it comes to heavy-lift support. And the SA rooikat is impressive for being in the same discussion as both Apache and Mi-24, for an African country.

Oh please, the Mi-17v Terminator will do just that (carry extra payload and troops) and some more (serve as a very capable gunship). And it is cheap, very easy to maintain, and a darn rugged utility helo. It's just not sexy looking like the UH-60 blackhawk or the Chinook. I'll equally choose the European EH-101 Merlin and the hi-tech NH-101 utility helos. Don't get me wrong though, I like the Chinook .
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by ocelot2006(m): 1:24pm On Jul 14, 2013
ShyM-X:

Even if it's a stopgap, we should at least have other air crafts, even if it's the Su-24s. Nigeria is just too big and too rich to be operating just alpha jets and J-7. Heck, before the UK received the Eurofighter Typhoon - Panavia Tornado F3 was the stopgap.

Anyway, I added Chinook because I don't think there's any other helicopter better than Chinook when it comes to heavy-lift support. And the SA rooikat is impressive for being in the same discussion as both Apache and Mi-24, for an African country.

And don't look down on the Alpha jet. It may be old, but it sure packs a punch and served us extremely well, especially during the Liberian and Serre Leonean Civil war where NAF Alpha jets carried out multiple CAS sorties against the NPLF and RUF respectively. Besides, you see much better countries lik Colombia and the Phillipines use the much older OV-10 Bronco aircraft in their drug-wars and COIN ops, and no one complains. Hell, even the US military Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) are currently crrying out flight tests on these old Vietnam era planes with the aim of including them in their inventory.

However, I do have some issues with the Alpha jet. 'though capavle, it is still a light attack aircrafts and can't carry much armaments/weapons payload (NAF Didi try to address this by adding additional weapons pylons to our upgraded fleet). The fire control computer during the Sierre-Leonean civil war were equally behind, forcing our NAF pilots to adopt dive bombing techniques, thus exposing them to AA flaks. But we prevailed thanks to the skills and daring nature of the pilots (aka Dudu boys). And finally, I'm not sure NAF has integrated precision weapons into this aircraft, 'though I may be wrong about that.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by naptu2: 2:30pm On Jul 14, 2013
^^^^^^

Thank you for bringing back memories.

Chris Pickerton, Moni Abubakar, Lansana Fofana, Mark Doyle, Mohammed Fajah-Barrie, Kenema, Bo, Lofa County, Gbarnga, etc.
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by mrkhay(m): 4:25pm On Jul 14, 2013
dat one make sense
Re: Nigeria Acquires Drones? by billyG(m): 11:21am On Jul 26, 2015
GEJ govt. just allow everybody,kun3 to scam nigeria of hard earned $dollars,nigeria will hav been grounded if he has won.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Saraki, Ben Bruce, Reacts At Atiku/obi Performance During NG Candidate / Who Was The President Of Nigeria When You Were Born? / Wike Says He Will Crush Anyone Working With Secondus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.