Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,727 members, 7,827,647 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Help Ma Little Cousin!! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help Ma Little Cousin!! (2229 Views)

Should I Eject My Lesbian Cousin From My House? / Help! How Can I Advise My Little Cousin Without Losing Her Trust & Friendship? / Help Ma Best Friend Is Dying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Smartiegurl(f): 3:57pm On Jul 13, 2013
Alright, i happened to visit my aunt today, and kinda like updated me with what was going on with her kids!! According to her , her daughter ie, my 7years old cousin is trying to become a thief. I adjusted and decided to know what she was on and about.

Sommy, ie, my little cousin, has been bugging her mum about one particular mathset she sees in her mom friend's shop, but according to ma aunt, she had no money as at now, so she asked her cute daughter to exercise some patience, that she was gonna buy it for her. Ofcourse, she agreed, but unknowingly to ma aunt she kinda Like stole the Mathset on one occasion when she and her brother was waiting for ma aunt to come pick them up from her friends shop.(each time my aunt comes back from work late, thats were they always wait for her to come take them home).

She came home with the mathset, and may aunt was like, sommy who gave you that mathset, she said, mummy Chika gave it to me because i answered a question. (Chika is my aunt's friends daughter, and she is nine years old, they attend the same school though) my aunt shrugged and said ok. Somehow my aunt decided to visit her friend, and immediately Chika ran out with happiness and said, aunty i have that type of mathset you bought for Sommy, she became shocked and said, i thought you were the one that gave it to her, Chika said nooooooo.

Furiously, my aunt came home and asked her daughter how come the mathset because Chika said she ain't the one that gave it to you....conversation between them.....
My aunt- who gave it to you.
Sommy- i picked it on the floor.
My aunt- on the floor where?
Sommy- in the school
my aunt- better say the truth now or i will tell ur headmaster at school u stole it.
Sommy- i picked it near chika's house. Lol
my aunt- oh! Is no more in the school abi? Is now chika's house? She threatened her more.
Sommy- #sobbing# i took it from Chika's shop.
Hmmmmm! According to her, she didn't know what to do, she said that aside the mathset issue, that her daughter has been good at lying, she does not know where she got that from, even her younger brother does not lie, talk more of Sommy. At the end of the conversation, i was dumbfounded, i didn't know what to tell her, and she does not know what to do her daughter.
Please people, how best can this child be helped?
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by liloelawwal(m): 4:27pm On Jul 13, 2013
i was scared when u said kleptomania cos i dnt want us to have another Anenih(pardon my spelling) in dis country.
Its good dat d mother discoverd it on tym.
All she has to do is jst to scold her ,beat her and let her realise petty thieves are d ones dat graduate into armed robbers,and armed robbers are either killed or languish in prison.
shikenan
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by tafadodo: 4:30pm On Jul 13, 2013
my dear its heartbreaking when u see a child go dat way advise prayer with a lot of discipline.do dis cajole her to tell d truth and each time she does let her be and make her realise how happy u are dat she told d truth but when she lies tough love she must be punished and after a while seat her down and talk to her about her offence try to make her concience key in to good things. best of luck my friend.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 13, 2013
Please, don't even think along the line of kleptomania. That was scary at first. Jeez! Kleptomaniacs don't steal what they need, they steal what they don't need or want. The act of stealing gives the satisfaction, not what they steal. In this case, the child needed the maths-set as she already asked her mum, she's just starting to exhibit traits of stealing. No need to be scared yet, thank God she discovered early...the truth is most kids steal at that age, MOST! She just has to correct the child whichever means she uses, and try to provide the child's needs as much as she can. This doesn't she should pampar her though!

In 's voice, MAY GOD HELP HER AND ALL MUMS OUT THERE!
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Smartiegurl(f): 4:40pm On Jul 13, 2013
Kleptomaniac edited!! Thanks @aluta and tafododo, you see, aside this stealing issue, what about her constant lies? How did she get that? According to ma aunt, she has done all she could, beaten her, talked to her but yet she don't wanna change. How would a 7years old kid manage to frame lies? It still baffles me you know.....
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 13, 2013
Smartie gurl: Kleptomaniac edited!! Thanks @aluta and tafododo, you see, aside this stealing issue, what about her constant lies? How did she get that? According to ma aunt, she has done all she could, beaten her, talked to her but yet she don't wanna change. How would a 7years old kid manage to frame lies? It still baffles me you know.....

7 year old this day is not that young of a kid to not know how to find their way around issues. I keep saying children are different and the method of training them should be peculiar. Every child has a way of getting through to him/her, she should find that way and use it. If spanking isn't working, she should try something else. No need to be that scared, making it look like it's something extremely odd is going to make her start seeing the child as a demon or something. Most kids that age do worse, yes, WORSE! I've associated with nursery/primary school children before and I know. I know it's disturbing, understandably so but she should stop complaining and act fast before it degenerates.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Smartiegurl(f): 4:50pm On Jul 13, 2013
alutacontinua:

7 year old this day is not that young of a kid to not know how to find their way around issues. I keep saying children are different and the method of training them should be peculiar. Every child has a way of getting through to him/her, she should find that way and use it. If spanking isn't working, she should try something else. No need to be that scared, making it look like it's something extremely odd is going to make her start seeing the child as a demon or something. Most kids that age do worse, yes, WORSE! I've associated with nursery/primary school children before and I know. I know it's disturbing, understandably so but she should stop complaining and act fast before it degenerates.
i honestly wish you were talking to her directly now, the lady is so scared, she hardly can tell when the little girl tells the truth now. Thanks though, i will just pass this on to her.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jul 13, 2013
Smartie gurl: i honestly wish you were talking to her directly now, the lady is so scared, she hardly can tell when the little girl tells the truth now. Thanks though, i will just pass this on to her.

I know mothers here would also have a word or two to send to her, tips on how to get kids to change from bad behaviour. Most kids attempt such, it's left for mothers to detect early and correct it. MAY GOD HELP HER!
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 13, 2013
Smartie gurl: i honestly wish you were talking to her directly now, the lady is so scared, she hardly can tell when the little girl tells the truth now. Thanks though, i will just pass this on to her.
Most children learn to lie to protect themselves from punishment. How does your sister discipline her children?. is she the type that always use beating for correction, does she beat the children heavily?.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Smartiegurl(f): 4:59pm On Jul 13, 2013
honey86:
Most children learn to lie to protect themselves from punishment. How does your sister discipline her children?. is she the type that always use beating for correction, does she beat the children heavily?.
No, she hardly hits them, she only hits them when the offence worth flogging, and yeah, she is good at having a heart to heart talk with them and pets them too. so you see, she does not know what else to do.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by thorpido(m): 5:28pm On Jul 13, 2013
Does your aunt go to church?Does the daughter attend children's church class?
The word of God is what she needs to lead her right.The mother too should know the word of God for in it she'll find counsel and wisdom to deal with this issue.She shouldn't neglect to put her in prayer for God to touch her heart.

It takes God for a child to grow right.The arm of the flesh cannot do it.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Smartiegurl(f): 6:20pm On Jul 13, 2013
thorpido: Does your aunt go to church?Does the daughter attend children's church class?
The word of God is what she needs to lead her right.The mother too should know the word of God for in it she'll find counsel and wisdom to deal with this issue.She shouldn't neglect to put her in prayer for God to touch her heart.

It takes God for a child to grow right.The arm of the flesh cannot do it.
in as much as she is a Christian, she hardly goes to church because of the nature of her job, she is a nurse though. So she only goes to church when is less busy, there dad ain't even interested in church matter...
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by biolabee(m): 7:00pm On Jul 13, 2013
good to know that spanking has been mentioned somewhere

Then take the child to apologisw to the shop woman

It's best it's tackled now ..

Persin wey dey lie na tif he go be

After tif na ashao

Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Smartiegurl(f): 7:09pm On Jul 13, 2013
biolabee: good to know that spanking has been mentioned somewhere

Then take the child to apologisw to the shop woman

It's best it's tackled now ..

Persin wey dey lie na tif he go be

After tif na ashao

she has not actually apologised, but the mom have told her friend about it.......you ar right here, i will her to do this.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by thorpido(m): 7:12pm On Jul 13, 2013
Smartie gurl: in as much as she is a Christian, she hardly goes to church because of the nature of her job, she is a nurse though. So she only goes to church when is less busy, there dad ain't even interested in church matter...
Idokay.The parents are not interested in church and they want to raise morally upright children?Let them keep trying it their way then.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by biolabee(m): 7:24pm On Jul 13, 2013
Good starting point

Smartie gurl: she has not actually apologised, but the mom have told her friend about it.......you ar right here, i will her to do this.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Smartiegurl(f): 7:45pm On Jul 13, 2013
thorpido: Idokay.The parents are not interested in church and they want to raise morally upright children?Let them keep trying it their way then.
I only said her dad ain't interested in church, her mom tries all she can to make sure they go to church, sometimes she allows them to ride to church with her neighbor, each time she knows she won't be around...so you see, she is just doing her best.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by thorpido(m): 8:10pm On Jul 13, 2013
Smartie gurl: I only said her dad ain't interested in church, her mom tries all she can to make sure they go to church, sometimes she allows them to ride to church with her neighbor, each time she knows she won't be around...so you see, she is just doing her best.
I hope her job will let her properly monitor her child.It seems the father is passive in all this.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by zaynie(f): 10:31pm On Jul 13, 2013
Prayer is very essential in trainin ur kid. That said, communication n compromise is also important. Ur aunt shd sit d child down n let her know ow disappointed she is abt her lies n ow she has lost her trust n so on,den she shd advice her on ways she kan get bac d trust. Then she may want to use d reward/punishment psychology; ie if u punish ur kid for lying den u shd reward him/her not lying. Most of all make her memorise d 10 commandments, I rememba dt wen I was young my mom made us memorise d 10 commandments evn thou we were muslims n it rily prevented us frm a lot of vices cos it was ingrained in our memory/conscience.
Goodluck to ur aunty. May God help us wiv our kids. Amin.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by tafadodo: 10:39pm On Jul 13, 2013
oh my friend it seems d father is lukewarm in his role as their father he has to wakeup because ur aunty cant do it on her own.does she even have time to study her children to know their personalities.if only she can do dat she would figure out what her soul is like and with d help of God and d husband and urs she will pull through.but when she steals or tell a lie she should be punished with what she cherises most. n make sure she goes personally to appologise for stealing from her shop. take care .
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 14, 2013
Op,what I will do if I were ur aunt is to give her a very appropriate punishment.but before then we will go to d woman's shop and she will apologise very well.punishment that will shake her eg.I might isolate her and telle her to kneel down. No support,I won't shout. She will stay there as long as it takes her to cry out and beg.hours.
I can still remember when my mummy did that to me.wasn't funny at all and it made me sit up.
Now d lying part,I will tell her for every lie she tell,I will deny her one of her most cherised thing in d house.it might be her dolls.
No matter how choked up she is ,she should make out time to converse with d children.during bible study time,she can start with.* jesus lvs children,jesus was a good child,u all r good children(she will personalise it). When its d gals turn,she can now say*t,u know u r good?,(she will answer.)I lv u(answer),jesus made his parents proud,will u make me proud(answer),c what jesus said, (she can naw itemise everybad thing children do) she will also address others d same way.
This is an openin for her to penetrate d gal and she must trade carefully.let it not look like scolding or she is enforcin it on her durin that time. Its her children,she will also check her facial and body expression.she may abruptly cut it and switch over to another topic.I tell u,she is passin d message.another day,diff approach.but all will be done with lv.

(Sorry,I don't think I made sense.was in a rush)

1 Like

Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by kreamidiva(f): 7:55am On Jul 14, 2013
My prayer everyday for my kids is may the evil that characterize the children of these days be far from them.pray for her,cover her with the Blood of Jesus;the Blood that speaks better things than the blood of Abel. She may have been contaminated by any of her school mates.

But in d instant case,let her apologise to d lady n tell her that children that tell lies will not be friends with Jesus.tell her they end up in prison.create a very scary pic of the consequences of lying and stealing.take her to d prison to see inmates.she is 7 and can still be remoulded by the Potter-the almighty God.

Goodluck.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Smartiegurl(f): 1:08pm On Jul 14, 2013
Wow!! I thrilled i must say, thanks @tafadodo, yellowpawpaw and krimi dive, I'm sure gonna pass this massage across to my aunt because i have a good feeling they will all work on the child.

One good thing is, Sommy is a good child, aside her lies, she is pretty, intelligent and mannered....may God help her.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Smartiegurl(f): 1:08pm On Jul 14, 2013
Wow!! I'm thrilled i must say, thanks @tafadodo, yellowpawpaw and krimi dive, I'm sure gonna pass this massage across to my aunt because i have a good feeling they will all work on the child.

One good thing is, Sommy is a good child, aside her lies, she is pretty, intelligent and mannered....may God help her.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by nbright: 1:27pm On Jul 14, 2013
Many posters are mentioning "church going, cover with blood of Jesus, flog" etc... You guys didn't get it, how much is a math set that the mom couldn't afford for her daughter?, even if she doesn't have the cash at hand then she can still ask her friend to give it to her on credit the next time she will pay for it. Maybe the mom is fond of promising her kids things without fulfilling them and when she told the daughter that she will get it for her later on the daughter knew she had to do something or else she would just have to be looking at the math set anytime she's in the shop... Though it's very wrong for her to steal from someone's else shop, but I put 89% of the blame on the mom.. As for the part about her being a chronic liar, well it's a trait she inherited from one of her parent's. I know what I inherited from each of my parent's, I did some when I was a kid but now I have stopped or minimized on some.. She might stop the lies when she gets older.. But your aunty should never make the mistake of thinking she has been bewitched by someone and take her to "pastor's," or what soever for "deliverance"... Doing that will come back to haunt her later... Happy Sunday all..
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by juman(m): 6:09pm On Jul 14, 2013
She is a normal girl.

Her mother just need to work more hard on her to be truthful.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by Smartiegurl(f): 8:08pm On Jul 14, 2013
@nbright, your point being noted, but truth is my aunt is fond of her kids and she does all her possible best to make sure she provides all there needs, i guess her reason for waving this mathset issue aside is because, my little cousin is still in basic one(primary1) so she can't figure out the need for the mathset...
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by nbright: 6:53am On Jul 16, 2013
Smartie gurl: @nbright, your point being noted, but truth is my aunt is fond of her kids and she does all her possible best to make sure she provides all there needs, i guess her reason for waving this mathset issue aside is because, my little cousin is still in basic one(primary1) so she can't figure out the need for the mathset...
Then she should have told her that, she shouldn't have promised her when she knew she wouldn't buy it for the child... Parent's need to learn and understand somethings..
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by slimyem: 7:12am On Jul 16, 2013
A lot of kids are like this about this age I guess. I did my fair share of stealing and lying as a kid. cool

It'll pass with close monitoring,appropriate punishments and fair admonitions.

1 Like

Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by biolabee(m): 9:01am On Jul 16, 2013
If i get you right its the mother's fault for being either too poor not being able to able to afford a mathset or rather too daft not to know the importance of the mathset? undecided

Ok undecided

nbright: Many posters are mentioning "church going, cover with blood of Jesus, flog" etc... You guys didn't get it, how much is a math set that the mom couldn't afford for her daughter?, even if she doesn't have the cash at hand then she can still ask her friend to give it to her on credit the next time she will pay for it. Maybe the mom is fond of promising her kids things without fulfilling them and when she told the daughter that she will get it for her later on the daughter knew she had to do something or else she would just have to be looking at the math set anytime she's in the shop... Though it's very wrong for her to steal from someone's else shop, but I put 89% of the blame on the mom.. As for the part about her being a chronic liar, well it's a trait she inherited from one of her parent's. I know what I inherited from each of my parent's, I did some when I was a kid but now I have stopped or minimized on some.. She might stop the lies when she gets older.. But your aunty should never make the mistake of thinking she has been bewitched by someone and take her to "pastor's," or what soever for "deliverance"... Doing that will come back to haunt her later... Happy Sunday all..
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by nbright: 11:36am On Jul 16, 2013
biolabee: If i get you right its the mother's fault for being either too poor not being able to able to afford a mathset or rather too daft not to know the importance of the mathset? undecided

Ok undecided

Chineke God!.. Where did you get that from?. Ok... Read my post again and again and again and again... Till it sink in.
Re: Help Ma Little Cousin!! by biolabee(m): 1:59pm On Jul 16, 2013
No need to call any god here

Re read your own post and again..and your eyes may be opened

nbright: Chineke God!.. Where did you get that from?. Ok... Read my post again and again and again and again... Till it sink in.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Is The Man That Impregnant This Woman??(photo) / Does Friso Gold Purge Babies / Celebrating Fathers' Day: See Beautiful Pics As Posted On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.