Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,965 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

Brabus DIY Weekend Projects - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Brabus DIY Weekend Projects (15250 Views)

DIY Construction Of My House In PH. / My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. / DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 6:56am On Jul 14, 2013
A budget house. No loans. It's do-it-yourself home building.

Welcome to my new thread! I'm not a billionaire but I love good things. I'm starting this thread to keep my friends and followers up to date as I finish my house project. I do a lot of DIY projects in this house. Some of our DIY projects are complex (involve my construction workers) and others I do on my own with my family. I will be posting a bunch of our DIY projects that can be done in a weekend and more importantly, I'll be sharing the cost!

Hope this thread will inspire you to DIY.

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 7:46am On Jul 14, 2013
You can't build your dream house without secretly stalking the fabulous ideas of other great houses, right? I get my inspiration from modern house design websites. Check them out below. These website offers breathtaking design inspiration!

Houzz (houzzdotcom)
Dwell (dwelldotcom)
Freshome (freshomedotcom)

and so many more. I'll update the list as we progress.
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 7:59am On Jul 14, 2013
This house was designed taking design cues from finished houses in the website listed above, with a custom floor plan specific to my family requirements.

We want the major rooms on the ground floor while the upper floor becomes the entertainers' paradise. The house has 225 sq.m of internal area and features three large bedroom ensuites on the ground floor, plus a studio on the upper floor. There is also a completely detached guest accommodation (24 sqm) with bedroom, bathroom and a terrace.

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 8:37am On Jul 14, 2013
Weekend 1: Automatic Motorised Gate

These DIY Motorised gate installation is our first DIY project on this thread. My family and I, the house help and 2 masons joined us in the last weekend to install the gate frames and pillars.

We intend to build a gate pillar similar to the one in the picture below.

Budget: N70,000 (excluding the motor and the gear equipment)
Duration: 3 weekends

Material list

3 lengths of 16mm iron rod @ N2,300 - N6,900
2 lengths of 12mm iron rod @ N1,300 - N2,600
Binding wire (NA, we have one full roll in the store)
Cement - 20 bags - N32,000 (We want a very solid column. We do not want to spend money repairing the column because our gate is very heavy)
Stone - (We decide to use grave mixed with stone dust in order to lower cost)
Sharp sand - (NA, we have one full load of sand)
10 pcs of 1 x 12 Planks @ N900 - N9,000
4 pcs of 2 x 3 wood @ N300 - N1,200

Tools

90 litres Concrete Mixer (I've been using this mixer for my DIY projects (interlocking stones, walkway etc) for a while now)
2 shovel
2 buckets
Spirit Level version 3.6.3 (an iphone app for checking level)
Garden hose

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 8:42am On Jul 14, 2013
The Gate

Dimension: 8 x 15ft

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 8:48am On Jul 14, 2013
The gate track, roller and stop end.

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 8:54am On Jul 14, 2013
We started excavating early in the morning and we went as deep as 1.5m for the pillar base.

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 8:56am On Jul 14, 2013
Meanwhile, the iron bender is preparing the pillar base, ground beam and the columns using various sizes of rods. We used 10mm iron rods for the 1ft x 1ft rings, 12mm iron rods for the ground beam and 16mm for the columns.

The 2nd picture is showing the man excavating the column base at 1.5m depth.

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 9:01am On Jul 14, 2013
Mixing and Pouring the Concrete

Pic 1: My baby brother handling the hose

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 9:04am On Jul 14, 2013
Installing the roller track and checking the levels with my iphone app.

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 9:08am On Jul 14, 2013
Curing the concrete the next day. We now have a rock solid base that's safe to drive on.

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 9:10am On Jul 14, 2013
Hopefully next weekend barring all hiccups and busy schedule, we are going to install the gate!
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 9:18am On Jul 14, 2013
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by jaydacorsair: 9:48am On Jul 14, 2013
heheheeh handsome boys my regards to them all.....
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 11:55am On Jul 14, 2013
^^^Thanks bro!
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 12:08pm On Jul 14, 2013
I forgot to mention that I got a very nice gate light for this project. I was actually inspired by the gate light that I found online via Flickr. I was able to get something close or much better at a very good bargain.

Picture will be updated later today. I'm also shopping for a video phone for the gate. Gone are the days of door bells. I don't want to be opening my gate for every Tom, Dick and Harry pressing the bell.
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 2:48pm On Jul 14, 2013
Gate Light Inspiration

Gate light pictures from Flickr and Google

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 2:52pm On Jul 14, 2013
My Gate light bought in an electrical shop in Lagos. This is not a Chinese product. It's a product from a company called Progress Lighting, in Los Angeles. I paid N10,000 for the two gate lights.

www.progresslighting.com

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by OilSubsidy: 10:18am On Jul 15, 2013
^^^^Hi Brabus, How much would the china imitation of this your beautiful gate light cost? I just need to know for comparison sake. Rgds in Advance.
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 8:29pm On Jul 15, 2013
OilSubsidy: ^^^^Hi Brabus, How much would the china imitation of this your beautiful gate light cost? I just need to know for comparison sake. Rgds in Advance.
China imitation could be about the same amount or cost more because I got it cheaper than the company price. It cost $259.35 on the manufacturer's website

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by egin(m): 1:07am On Jul 16, 2013
brabus: China imitation could be about the same amount or cost more because I got it cheaper than the company price. It cost $259.35 on the manufacturer's website
What voltage is this? 110V or 220V. USA products are mostly 110V
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 5:07am On Jul 16, 2013
egin:
What voltage is this? 110V or 220V. USA products are mostly 110V

If I can understand your question perfectly well, you are asking what voltage is the light. As I can understand, lights are either Low Voltage (which may require transformers) and Mains Voltage (110V or 220V). This product is not a Low Voltage lighting. It connects direct to the Main supply.

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by egin(m): 5:56pm On Jul 16, 2013
brabus:

If I can understand your question perfectly well, you are asking what voltage is the light. As I can understand, lights are either Low Voltage (which may require transformers) and Mains Voltage (110V or 220V). This product is not a Low Voltage lighting. It connects direct to the Main supply.
I mean the main voltage. In the US, it is 110V and in Nigeria, it is 220V. Can this work with 220V?
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by mufutau55(m): 6:41pm On Jul 16, 2013
Just seen this Oga Brabus. The thread will be very helpful. Thanks.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 6:46pm On Jul 16, 2013
egin:
I mean the main voltage. In the US, it is 110V and in Nigeria, it is 220V. Can this work with 220V?

Yes, it can work with 220V. It's not the only light fittings that I purchased from the store. There are other light fittings and I've been using them without worries.
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 7:01pm On Jul 16, 2013
mufutau55: Just seen this Oga Brabus. The thread will be very healpful. Thanks.

Hajji Mufutau

You're very right sir. My DIY projects can help you to save money and will also provide the reward of completing a DIY project all by yourself.

It will also help you in choosing items that should be quality upfront in your building project.
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 10:49am On Jul 26, 2013
Last Weekend at Chateau De Brabus.

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by mufutau55(m): 2:44pm On Jul 26, 2013
brabus: Last Weekend at Chateau De Brabus.

Very good and nicely done. Chateau fit for Oga Brabus.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 7:37am On Aug 01, 2013
Chateau De Brabus - Uniting the built and the natural environment

The time is ripe to landscape this project. However, I'm doing it small because it's better to be proud of a small garden than to be frustrated by a big one! Watch out this space
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 7:50am On Aug 01, 2013
I got 24 pcs of this pathway solar light (with day/night sensor) from Westinghouse for the Chateau. I just love it simple. Meanwhile, the tiler is doing justice to the gate pillars with Country Clay tiles from Home Depot and my kids are supervising this stage. Hopefully you'll like it when I update this thread with finished pictures.

Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by mufutau55(m): 3:47pm On Aug 01, 2013
brabus: I got 24 pcs of this pathway solar light (with day/night sensor) from Westinghouse for the Chateau. I just love it simple.

Oga Brabus.. I have seen some of this lights around here too.. Do they real last?
I could bring some home for my use if they are really good.. Thanks.

Good Tiles from Home Depot. I am watching the developments here. Thanks.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: Brabus DIY Weekend Projects by brabus(m): 6:39am On Aug 02, 2013
mufutau55:

Oga Brabus.. I have seen some of this lights around here too.. Do they real last?
I could bring some home for my use if they are really good.. Thanks.

Good Tiles from Home Depot. I am watching the developments here. Thanks.

Hajji Mufutau

Of course they do. I have some bulb in the house that I've been using since 2010

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

YOU WANT BUILDING APPROVAL, Approval documentation in NIGERIA?call 08069253261 / 3 Bedroom Bungalow For Sale At Abule Eko Ikorodu (pics) / Fire Injures 7, Burns 109 Shops In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.