Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,691 members, 7,813,281 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism (8927 Views)

Photo Of Goodluck Jonathan On A Refuse Dump! / Goodluck Jonathan On A Shopping Spree Abroad...photo / Was Colonialism Good For Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 14, 2013
The group said China has been less than transparent in its dealings with Nigeria.
The Conference of Nigerian Political Parties, CNPP has warned President Goodluck Jonathan to beware of “Chinese quest for neo-colonialism in Africa” as the president pushes Nigeria into stronger economic relations with the Asian nation.

The group said the history of colonialism remains unchanged and that every colonial master, whether British, American or Chinese, will always attach strings to aids given to smaller nations, to fuel their domestic economic growth.

The group said President Jonathan should be “cautious, less hasty or desperate” in his dealings with the Chinese; “especially now that President Barak Obama seems to have not extended olive branch to his regime”.

The call came after President Jonathan paid a state visit to China Wednesday, in a move seen as an attempt to refocus Nigeria’s drive for foreign assistance.

CNPP advised the Jonathan administration to tailor the country’s foreign policy objective to achieve long term objectives.

“…our foreign policy objective should be structured for the long term and not short term goals, while we remain introspective in the utilization of our natural resources,” the group said in a statement signed by its spokesperson, Osita Okechukwu.

“For the avoidance of doubt, some are celebrating the tremendous rise of China-Nigeria bilateral trade relations from $2 billion in 2002 to $13 billion in 2012; forgetting that Chinese cheap and fake products not only dominate the trade but stifle our local industries,” the statement said.

While on a state visit to China on Wednesday said, President Jonathan had said “Beyond trade, China has been instrumental to supporting Nigeria with financing arrangements and investment in strategic infrastructural projects like rail, road and free trade zones, among others’.

CNPP said a cursory review of few Chinese investment in Nigeria’s strategic infrastructure shows that the Chinese have been less than transparent.

The group recalled that in 2006, Olusegun Obasanjo, then president awarded the narrow gauge 1,315km Kano-Lagos Rail Track to China Civil Engineering Corporation, CCEC at a whopping cost of $8.3 billion, while the Chinese awarded 4,000km

Beijing-Lhasa modern gauge to the Canadians and Germans at $4.2 billion.
It also said that in March 2006, Abuja Fast Rail was awarded to Guandong Xinguang International Group at $2.5 billion, adding that, ZTE was awarded in 2007, $750 million CCTV Project for major cities in the country to curb insecurity.

CNPP added that “NigComSat awarded to the Chinese was blown away by the wind”.
It therefore said, “in dealing with the Chinese neo-colonialism, we must look before we leap for not only were the projects awarded at prohibitive cost, but none has been completed,” it said.
source: http://premiumtimesng.com/news/140944-cnpp-cautions-jonathan-on-chinese-neo-colonialism.html

11 Likes

Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by LOUDmedia(m): 11:46pm On Jul 14, 2013
Posterity won't forgive us if we sell off our country at this critical times for another colonial rule - whether directly or otherwise. A word is indeed enough for the wise.

3 Likes

Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by Nobody: 6:50am On Jul 15, 2013
na super story b dis?
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by kunlekunle: 6:52am On Jul 15, 2013
major factor while morsi was overthrown.
GEJ should go.
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by Nobody: 6:52am On Jul 15, 2013
see big big money being called here.... me dey find iphone wey i go buy and sell.... wahala dey ooo. man needs to link up with ASO ROCK oooo.
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by omiobo: 6:53am On Jul 15, 2013
This is a very useful advice. Gej should take caution in all his dealings.

3 Likes

Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by Goldenheart(m): 6:53am On Jul 15, 2013
Exactly what i had in mind*** This chinese can not be trusted...

I bet they are thinking of "DOMINION"

GEJ NO KILL US O.....

Btw; 6th to comment..... grin grin
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by Nobody: 6:54am On Jul 15, 2013
Will be back make I sleep small first.
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by sobaemma(m): 6:55am On Jul 15, 2013
Cnpp??na party be dat?nawa ride on at least they want to publish the name of their party and this is the best way,ride on o,no disrespect i see una o
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by blueheart(m): 6:56am On Jul 15, 2013
Where the Chinks are concerned, the Nigerian govt needs to tread with caution. Chinese are notoriously bent on exploiting natural resources of supposedly friendly nation states. This deals should be made more open imo. All we keep reading is just the sensational headlines.

1 Like

Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 15, 2013
GEJ is a man who listens to good advice. I'm sure he would give this piece of admonition a thought.

2 Likes

Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 15, 2013
sobaemma: Cnpp??na party be dat?nawa ride on at least they want to publish the name of their party and this is the best way,ride on o,no disrespect i see una o
you sure say you be adult wey dey folo nija politics?

4 Likes

Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by Richie01: 7:01am On Jul 15, 2013
forgetting that Chinese cheap and fake products not only dominate the trade but stifle our local industries,” the statement said.

The qualities of whatever comes in from china on a large scale were according to the request(s) and directives from the business merchants from here.

And as for uncompleted projects since 2006, I bet it has to do with the consent of Nigerians (stake holders and workers) among them.

Pls leave Jonathan out of this. Why must people criticize whatever someone decides to do? Na wa o...

11 Likes

Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by darkashes(m): 7:07am On Jul 15, 2013
Tot about this aswell, dis one wey dey dash us a whooping 2.1 billion dollars. Wel there is God,who cares for the needy. China cant do shit to us, cos we are guided n led by G-O-D luck david(jonathan)
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by sobaemma(m): 7:15am On Jul 15, 2013
chidindufrank: you sure say you be adult wey dey folo nija politics?
mr frank if u are an dult as u self claim i dont think you will have the time to say trash like this,ur comment speaks better of ur selfclaim adult
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by tejpot(m): 7:15am On Jul 15, 2013
**stretching ** good morning everybody. Today must be a great day, na so so billion I dey hear!
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by Nobody: 7:17am On Jul 15, 2013
Now these people are talking...this is wht ive been saying...

1 Like

Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by dcal001: 7:19am On Jul 15, 2013
tumababa: see big big money being called here.... me dey find iphone wey i go buy and sell.... wahala dey ooo. man needs to link up with ASO ROCK oooo.
don't be myopic, the prosperity of Nigeria is ur prosperity
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by dasparrow: 7:26am On Jul 15, 2013
@Post

I have always said that I don't trust the Chinese. They are no better than other nations who have come to suck us dry. Our leaders don't know how to negotiate wisely. This is why Europeans, Americans and now Chinese continue to r8pe us.

1 Like

Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by fkaz(m): 7:33am On Jul 15, 2013
Chinko with fake product
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 15, 2013
sobaemma: mr frank if u are an dult as u self claim i dont think you will have the time to say trash like this,ur comment speaks better of ur selfclaim adult
Apologies. But, the report stated the meaning of CNPP bro.
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by grandstar(m): 7:42am On Jul 15, 2013
The chinese are not the mean european types. they are actually quite generous. they are an economic power. anyway they still need to be monitored.
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by fatstan1: 7:47am On Jul 15, 2013
I think saying obama has extended an olive leave to JEG is slight to our president. Twice obama has visited africa not once did he so much as fly through our air space. He can shove his olive branch up his black ass for all i care. If china will do business with our country and not run us through the mud everytime an idiot Nigerian is caught for a crime or the other over there then i say carry on Mr President.

3 Likes

Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by Onyenna(m): 7:51am On Jul 15, 2013
Ndi-ara....alaala m Ghost Mode!
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by Vonwolf(m): 8:03am On Jul 15, 2013
@Mallmum...pls don't deceive people with your post about investment in mcdavies cos its fraud and maybe you have trust in them so much that you can boast of it in nairaland, let me advice you,stop patronizing them from this minute cos one day they will stop responding to your mails
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by IleIfe2(m): 8:06am On Jul 15, 2013
If the chinese loan does not come with austerity and structural adjustment, Borrow more money Mr president. After all the Chinese are the ones that sponsor most of the western economy, they don't give any clause before the lend. I'm becoming more skeptical of anyone that criticizes the President hence forth. You have to have valid reason before i listen, talk less of support you.

I wonder what the Punishment will be for going to the Chinese. We all know even more powerful personalities payed dearly for giving the almighty America (west) the cold shoulder.
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by Nobody: 8:12am On Jul 15, 2013
Onyenna: Ndi-ara....alaala m Ghost Mode!

leele.. Lekwa ha.....Ha choo iri gi. Hmm......Dey no go see u
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by Nobody: 8:13am On Jul 15, 2013
Ile-Ife:
If chinese loan does not come with austerity and structural adjustment, Borrow more money Mr president.
thank god say you no follow them dull sad
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by ewet: 8:15am On Jul 15, 2013
sobaemma: Cnpp??na party be dat?nawa ride on at least they want to publish the name of their party and this is the best way,ride on o,no disrespect i see una o

CNPP is the Conference of Nigerian political Parties which consists of all the opposition political parties. Thy serve as a good governance pressure group.

And thy hav bin arund for quite a while.Go read up more on naija politics cos this will help you make more informed opinions.

1 Like

Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by ewet: 8:19am On Jul 15, 2013
Richie01:

The qualities of whatever comes in from china on a large scale were according to the request(s) and directives from the business merchants from here.

And as for uncompleted projects since 2006, I bet it has to do with the consent of Nigerians (stake holders and workers) among them.

Pls leave Jonathan out of this. Why must people criticize whatever someone decides to do? Na wa o...

So even if the person is leading us to slavery make we keep quite abi? You fit keep quite for for the rst of us sensible and reasonable and truly SINCERER9GERIANS we must always advise govt and make our opinions knwn
Re: CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism by ayodinho91: 8:24am On Jul 15, 2013
Humm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Biafrans Buys Helicopter To Sink The Zoo PHOTOS / Okowa Spends N32 Billion On Road Construction / Adegboruwa Drags Buhari,Others To Court Over Non Confirmation Of Onnoghen As CJN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.