Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,960 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Types Of Atheists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Types Of Atheists (1789 Views)

7 Types Of Atheists / Why Are Demons Afraid Of Atheists? / What Is Your Position On Letting Your Children Play With Children Of Atheists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Types Of Atheists by FearGodAndLive: 11:12am On Jul 17, 2013
How many ways are there to disbelieve in God?

At least six, according to a new study.

Two researchers at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga found that atheists and agnostics run the range from vocally anti-religious activists to nonbelievers who nonetheless observe some religious traditions.

“The main observation is that nonbelief is an ontologically diverse community,” write doctoral student Christopher Silver and undergraduate student Thomas Coleman.

“These categories are a first stab at this," Silver told the website Raw Story. "In 30 years, we may be looking at a typology of 32 types.”

Silver and Coleman derived their six types of nonbelievers from 59 interviews. We're pretty sure we've spotted all six in our comments section.

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic
This type of nonbeliever seeks information and intellectual stimulation about atheism.
They like debating and arguing, particularly on popular Internet sites.
(Ahem.)
They're also well-versed in books and articles about religion and atheism, and prone to citing those works frequently.

2) Activist
These kinds of atheists and agnostics are not content with just disbelieving in God; they want to tell others why they reject religion and why society would be better off if we all did likewise.
They tend to be vocal about political causes like gay rights, feminism, the environment and the care of animals.

3) Seeker-agnostic
This group is made up of people who are unsure about the existence of a God but keep an open mind and recognize the limits of human knowledge and experience.
Silver and Coleman describe this group as people who regularly question their own beliefs and “do not hold a firm ideological position.”
That doesn't mean this group is confused, the researchers say. They just embrace uncertainty.

4) Anti-theist
This group regularly speaks out against religion and religious beliefs, usually by positioning themselves as “diametrically opposed to religious ideology,” Silver and Coleman wrote.
“Anti-theists view religion as ignorance and see any individual or institution associated with it as backward and socially detrimental,” the researchers wrote. “The Anti-Theist has a clear and – in their view, superior – understanding of the limitations and danger of religions.”
Anti-theists are outspoken, devoted and – at times – confrontational about their disbelief. They believe that "obvious fallacies in religion and belief should be aggressively addressed in some form or another.”

5) Non-theist
The smallest group among the six are the non-theists, people who do not involve themselves with either religion or anti-religion.
In many cases, this comes across as apathy or disinterest.
“A Non-Theist simply does not concern him or herself with religion,” Silver and Coleman wrote. “Religion plays no role or issue in one’s consciousness or worldview; nor does a Non- Theist have concern for the atheist or agnostic movement.”
They continue: “They simply do not believe, and in the same right, their absence of faith means the absence of anything religion in any form from their mental space.”

6) Ritual atheist
They don't believe in God, they don’t associate with religion, and they tend to believe there is no afterlife, but the sixth type of nonbeliever still finds useful the teachings of some religious traditions.
“They see these as more or less philosophical teachings of how to live life and achieve happiness than a path to transcendental liberation,” Silver and Coleman wrote. “For example, these individuals may participate in specific rituals, ceremonies, musical opportunities, meditation, yoga classes, or holiday traditions.”
For many of these nonbelievers, their adherence to ritual may stem from family traditions. For others, its a personal connection to, or respect for, the "profound symbolism" inherent within religious rituals, beliefs and ceremonies, according the researchers.
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/15/the-six-types-of-atheists/

1 Like

Re: Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 11:24am On Jul 17, 2013
Logicboy sees himself as type 1 but the others see him as type 2 or 4.

This higjlights the problem with the research: the types of atheists are not mutually exclusive nor are they with clear boundaries.
Re: Types Of Atheists by FearGodAndLive: 11:29am On Jul 17, 2013
Logicboy03: Logicboy sees himself as type 1 but the others see him as type 2 or 4.

This higjlights the problem with the research: the types of atheists are not mutually exclusive nor are they with clear boundaries.

Dude, you're number 4

3 Likes

Re: Types Of Atheists by ooman(m): 11:30am On Jul 17, 2013
am type 6 tongue
Re: Types Of Atheists by ooman(m): 11:30am On Jul 17, 2013
Logicboy03: Logicboy sees himself as type 1 but the others see him as type 2 or 4.

delusions
Re: Types Of Atheists by Areaboy2(m): 11:43am On Jul 17, 2013
Certainly a type 1 here smiley wink
Re: Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 17, 2013
Look at them.....struggling over. Meaningless labels

1 Like

Re: Types Of Atheists by Areaboy2(m): 11:49am On Jul 17, 2013
Logicboy03: Look at them.....struggling over. Meaningless labels

Thats the whole point of it.. some time to relax and have a laugh. smiley

anything to take my mind off the heatwave here grin
Re: Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 17, 2013
Area_boy:

Thats the whole point of it.. some time to relax and have a laugh. smiley

anything to take my mind off the heatwave here grin

Nice
Re: Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jul 17, 2013
hehehe, I used to be 3... grin grin grin
Re: Types Of Atheists by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:43pm On Jul 17, 2013
I am all and none at the same time. It depends on my mood.

I am even more sef. For example, I believe in Satan but know He does not exist. Go figure.

2 Likes

Re: Types Of Atheists by MrTroll(m): 1:24pm On Jul 17, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:
I am even more sef. For example, I believe in Satan but know He does not exist. Go figure.
Epic!!! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Types Of Atheists by FearGodAndLive: 2:14pm On Jul 17, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: I am all and none at the same time. It depends on my mood.

Attention seeker.
Re: Types Of Atheists by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:28pm On Jul 17, 2013
FearGodAndLive:
Attention seeker.

You are welcome.
Re: Types Of Atheists by FearGodAndLive: 3:43pm On Jul 17, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

You are welcome.

When are you going to answer the Master's call? It's useless fighting against him. He'll get you one way or the other.
Re: Types Of Atheists by AlfaSeltzer(m): 4:26pm On Jul 17, 2013
FearGodAndLive:

When are you going to answer the Master's call? It's useless fighting against him. He'll get you one way or the other.

I already have a Master. It is written, "thou shall not serve two Masters at the same time".

1 Like

Re: Types Of Atheists by FearGodAndLive: 5:33pm On Jul 17, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

I already have a Master. It is written, "thou shall not serve two Masters at the same time".

May the good Lord have mercy on your soul.

2 Likes

Re: Types Of Atheists by AlfaSeltzer(m): 6:24pm On Jul 17, 2013
FearGodAndLive:

Your lord's mercy is for xtians. I belong to Satan.

1 Like

Re: Types Of Atheists by ninja4life(m): 6:26pm On Jul 17, 2013
Type 5 but can also be type 6 as i agree with some philosophy teachings of christianity
Re: Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 17, 2013
FearGodAndLive:

You are as annoying as your god TBH. Think and grow wiser for once!
Re: Types Of Atheists by FearGodAndLive: 7:54pm On Jul 17, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

Your lord's mercy is for xtians. I belong to Satan.

The LORD is good to everyone. He showers compassion on all his creation. Psalm 145:9

You are God's creation and he loves you. I'm sure you aren't a Satanist, Brother.
Re: Types Of Atheists by UyiIredia(m): 9:09pm On Jul 17, 2013

You are certainly a poor version of type 1. But I would think you are type 2, going by your actions on Nairaland.
Re: Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 17, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

You are certainly a poor version of type 1. But I would think you are type 2, going by your actions on Nairaland.

Erm, how does your opinion bear any resemblance to facts? You do realise that the types arent absolute?
Re: Types Of Atheists by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:18pm On Jul 17, 2013
FearGodAndLive:

The LORD is good to everyone. He showers compassion on all his creation. Psalm 145:9

You are God's creation and he loves you. I'm sure you aren't a Satanist, Brother.

Whatever makes you sleep better.
Re: Types Of Atheists by UyiIredia(m): 9:28pm On Jul 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

Erm, how does your opinion bear any resemblance to facts? You do realise that the types arent absolute?

Your profile personal quote_which I'll encourage people to check_evinces activism. Unless you've changed it. You are well-known for starting lots of atheist-centric threads and have an on-going project encouraging atheists to contribute to atheist arguments and 'atheophobia'. Of course, you are free to perform wonders via logicboyism. Your talk on absolutes I deem trivial. What's important is that one can distinguish how atheists go abput their belief. Save your talk of atheist being a disbelief for the dogs.
Re: Types Of Atheists by manmustwac(m): 9:48pm On Jul 17, 2013
what about the atheist who believes in evolution why is my category not there? Obviously the survey was made by christians who can't think outside the box of religion
Re: Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 17, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Your profile personal quote_which I'll encourage people to check_evinces activism. Unless you've changed it. You are well-known for starting lots of atheist-centric threads and have an on-going project encouraging atheists to contribute to atheist arguments and 'atheophobia'. Of course, you are free to perform wonders via logicboyism. Your talk on absolutes I deem trivial. What's important is that one can distinguish how atheists go abput their belief. Save your talk of atheist being a disbelief for the dogs.

Am a Nigerian humanist activist not an atheist activist.

This is what happens when you label someone by force.
Re: Types Of Atheists by UyiIredia(m): 2:31am On Jul 18, 2013
Logicboy03:

Am a Nigerian humanist activist not an atheist activist.

This is what happens when you label someone by force.

Save it for the flies. I don't do $hit.
Re: Types Of Atheists by FearGodAndLive: 5:04am On Jul 18, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Save it for the flies. I don't do $hit.
Thank you brother. Atheists don't like to own up to their own actions hence they choose to disbelieve God. They do not want to be accountable to anyone so they make themselves GOD. Most of these NL atheists are type 4.

1 Like

Re: Types Of Atheists by MrTroll(m): 10:20am On Jul 18, 2013
FearGodAndLive:
Thank you brother. Atheists don't like to own up to their own actions hence they choose to disbelieve God. They do not want to be accountable to anyone so they make themselves GOD. Most of these NL atheists are type 4.
you are silly beyond imagination. Senseless post.
Re: Types Of Atheists by FearGodAndLive: 11:21am On Jul 18, 2013
Mr Troll: you are silly beyond imagination. Senseless post.
Another type 4 atheist.
Re: Types Of Atheists by MrTroll(m): 11:44am On Jul 18, 2013
FearGodAndLive:
Another type 4 atheist.
another Olaadegbu clone. Your numbers are increasing...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Let Us Reason / Prophetic / How Did The Different Races Come About?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.