Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,598 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

7 Types Of Atheists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 7 Types Of Atheists (19243 Views)

Home Of Atheists, Freethinkers, Agnostics. / Why Are Demons Afraid Of Atheists? / What Is Your Position On Letting Your Children Play With Children Of Atheists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Types Of Atheists by realtem(m): 7:12pm On Dec 27, 2014
About 172 million people worldwide consider themselves atheists, adding those who call themselves "unaffiliated" or "nonreligious" brings the number to around 1 billion. Atheism represents a variety of people with equally varied journeys. Some "found" atheism, others have been atheists since childhood. Many people easily transitioned into non-belief but many others found the journey difficult and heartbreaking. Some atheists are vocal activists while others aren't safe to live openly as nonbelievers. Let's celebrate our diversity!

1.) The Life Long atheist
Lifelong atheists grew up in atheist, or otherwise nonreligious families. They were born atheists (as are we all) and for the most part, have never been interested in religion beyond the academic. Most lifelong atheists find religious people perplexing. Having never been exposed to religious communities, they may find it difficult to understand religious people.

2.) The Atheist-at-heart
The atheist-at-heart is very similar to the lifelong atheist but they didn't have the benefit of a supportive atheist community. Even though they might have been forced to participate in religion as a child, deep down, they never fully bought into it.

3.) The Waffler
The waffler has shifted between religion and non-belief in a variety of forms and for a variety of reasons - sometimes multiple times. Some people started out secular then sought out religion in times of crisis or (re)turned to religion because of marriage or children and later find their way to atheism.

4.) The Seeker
Seekers are often deep thinkers, hungry for answers. Some seekers explore and experience many different spiritual paths as they journey through life. Others have never considered themselves spiritual, but have always asked the hard questions, demanding to know "why?". As atheists, seekers often make great skeptics.

5.) The Rogue
The rogue most likely grew up in a religious family (or came to religion at some point), conforming to the religious community and experiencing and expressing religion with sincere conviction. A combination of compelling atheist arguments and internal self-doubt led the rogue to abandon his/her religious convictions, often with a lot of hurt feelings and resentment. Rogues tend to become the most outspoken activists after having seen first-hand how much damage religion can cause.

6.) The Conscientious Objector
Like the rogue, this person chooses to leave religion as an adult, often to the chagrin of family and friends. The Conscientious Objector might actually desire to stay in religious community because they don't want to hurt their family, but they cannot, in good conscience, continue to participate in things they don't believe. They understand the religious impulse and are sympathetic to their religious friends and family

7.) The Reluctant Non-Believer

While most atheists are content in their non-belief, some come by it kicking and screaming and may continue to pine for the days of certainty and religious community. Reluctant Nonbelievers may continue to consider themselves "spiritual" while maintaining a disbelief in any kind of higher power or mystical element to the world, or they may just wish they could believe for whatever reason - often thinking it would be "easier". Some reluctant nonbelievers are atheists who live in very religious communities, finding atheism to be a very lonely path or think they "should" be religious.

So which one of these categories do you belong to as an atheist?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by realtem(m): 7:14pm On Dec 27, 2014
I think I belong to "the seeker" group

4 Likes

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Beesluv: 7:16pm On Dec 27, 2014
Noted

1 Like

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by iamodenigbo1(m): 7:25pm On Dec 27, 2014

1 Like

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by realtem(m): 7:27pm On Dec 27, 2014
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by kingkaspa: 8:29pm On Dec 27, 2014
The Seeker.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by romzyxy(m): 8:39pm On Dec 27, 2014
Are you an atheist? Cos u sound like 1.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by realtem(m): 8:49pm On Dec 27, 2014
romzyxy:
Are you an atheist? Cos u sound like 1.
so Ooooo Ooooo?
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by sinequanon: 8:55pm On Dec 27, 2014
Most atheists belong to the following category..

8.) The refugee
Takes refuge in "atheism". Too terrified to think freely and independently. Terrified by concepts like judgement and hell fire. Seeks comfort in camaraderie of other refugee "atheists". Accepts any idea that shelters him from his terror of god and hell fire. In front of theists, bares teeth and barks like a dog to hide fear. Needs frequent therapy sessions questioning religious texts, and needs validation from theists in the form of "winning" arguments. Uses humour, anti-religious cartoons and rhetorical questions to try to drown out underlying terror and confusion.

Most atheists on Nairaland fall into this category.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by pesty100(m): 9:04pm On Dec 27, 2014
sinequanon:

8.) The refugee
Takes refuge in "atheism". Too terrified to think freely and independently. Terrified by concepts like judgement and hell fire. Seeks comfort in camaraderie of other refugee "atheists". Accepts any idea that shelters him from his terror of god and hell fire. In front of theists, bares teeth and barks like a dog to hide fear. Needs frequent therapy sessions questioning religious texts, and needs validation from theists in the form of "winning" arguments. Uses humour, anti-religious cartoons and rhetorical questions to try to drown out underlying terror and confusion.

it funny how people talk to themselve... remove atheist in wat did guy as said and replace it with thesist and miraculously u would accurately describe him

24 Likes

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by sinequanon: 9:08pm On Dec 27, 2014
pesty100:
remove atheist in wat did guy as said and replace it with thesist and miraculously u would accurately describe him

No surprise, there. There is a big overlap between the theist and refugee atheist. I take it that you are one.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by pesty100(m): 9:14pm On Dec 27, 2014
sinequanon:

No surprise, there. There is a big overlap between the theist and refugee atheist. I take it that you are one.
talk to ze asz

6 Likes

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by sinequanon: 9:34pm On Dec 27, 2014
pesty100:
talk to ze asz

I've nothing more to tell you. wink

2 Likes

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by onetrack(m): 9:57pm On Dec 27, 2014
2 and 4
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by realtem(m): 10:13pm On Dec 27, 2014
sinequanon:

8.) The refugee

okay
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by obiZEAL(m): 10:19pm On Dec 27, 2014
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by asalimpo(m): 6:23am On Dec 28, 2014
sinequanon:

8.) The refugee

you are so spot on.
Fear of hell makes some ppl flee God rather than flee to Him.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 28, 2014
Agnostic cool

I'd probably fall in line of The Conscientious Objector undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Akbee(m): 10:22am On Dec 28, 2014
interesting,now i no that evn within the atheist family there r stl those who seek to embark on spiritual journey to unravel sum mysteries...
if the truth shud be told,those who strongly believe that there is no supreme being are only trying to deny their existence..God exists n he deserves our respect n adoration...
did the heavens n all what we see on planet Earth come into existence by themselves?
did man including the atheist himself come into existence on his own??atheists are merely irrational beings..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by datguru: 10:23am On Dec 28, 2014
It is quite disheartening, pitiable, sardonic and baffling how some specie of homo sapiens would retort to doubting the existence of the GREAT GOD. Its better you live as if there is God, even if you die and there's no God you have NOTHING to lose

5 Likes

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by SeverusSnape(m): 10:23am On Dec 28, 2014
Yours sincerely belongs to category 4...I'm a seeker.

1 Like

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by rattlesnake(m): 10:23am On Dec 28, 2014
Skin bleaching
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 10:23am On Dec 28, 2014
atheists and agnostics are repugnant.

Inasmuch as I hate to say this, the greatest Christians find it almost impossible to win a religious argument against an average atheist.

They can turn virtually every scripture in the bible in their defense. smiley

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by epospiky(m): 10:24am On Dec 28, 2014
Wetin concern me? I get my God and I know say I'm dey alive.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 28, 2014
11th Commandment, thou shall not argue with an atheist.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 10:25am On Dec 28, 2014
where I school in France these people don't exist...
sad
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by claremont(m): 10:25am On Dec 28, 2014
The rogue.

The root cause of most of the problems in this world can be traced to a crazed belief in a deity.

7 Likes

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by uzolexis(f): 10:25am On Dec 28, 2014
None of d above smiley

1 Like

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 10:27am On Dec 28, 2014
datguru:
It is quite disheartening, pitiable, sardonic and baffling how some specie of homo sapiens would retort to doubting the existence of the GREAT GOD. Its better you live as if there is God, even if you die and there's no God you have NOTHING to lose

Pity yourself first undecided

The white man brought to you the knowledge of their God, and you took it hook, line and sinker just cos they could cure your diseases with their drugs that your forefathers had never seen.

If the Chinese had colonised you, you sure as hell wouldn't be calling on that God of yours.

Our biggest issue is religion.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Vadel(m): 10:28am On Dec 28, 2014
this is the best post I've ever come across on nairaland since I joined. To put things straight, am a humanist....a religious humanist.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Anthony Olubunmi Okogie Celebrates His 84th Birthday Today / The Reason Why Atheists Dont/cant Convince Staunch Christians. / Christian Hip Hop: A Look At The New Trend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.