Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,967 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. (12244 Views)

Computer Engineers And Other Related Fields: Professionals And Aspirants / What The 1st Step After Graduating In Job Hunting Focus Uni Lecturing. / Graduating With A Second Class Lower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Godwin10(m): 9:30am On Jul 18, 2013
A friend of mine needs assistance, he wants to know what jobs computer engineers do. And also if there is anything like computer software engineers and if there is, what programming packages should he learn alongside his normal courses before graduating. And pls what do they also earn as required a particular field. Pls mods this could make frontpage as i know that many folks will also b interested in gaining knowledge. Share ur ideas pls, Tnks
Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Nobody: 9:43am On Jul 18, 2013
@OP you have a very good question, there is no such thing as a computer engineer, dealing with a computer has got no Engineering in it..it is practically Technical which makes him a Technician, Computer Engineering course are a waste in Nigeria University because they are not thought what they a required to know, tell your friend to do a 1year computer Technician COURSE on Comptia A+, Those are they real computer Technician or Engineers as you have called them, because they are responsible for solving every hardware/software problems related to a computer he can as well add Comptia AA+ on Networking, which will teaches him how to becomes a Network Admin, A+ Certificate holders are called computer ADMINISTRATORS/Technicians...the world of IT (Information Technology is too wide for him to think he is a computer Engineer because he went through the University that didnt even teach him the basic understanding of computer).

3 Likes

Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Godwin10(m): 11:42am On Jul 18, 2013
Tnks vry much eddie, should he do this before or after graduating, because he wants to start working after school. Your reply has been appreciated. Tnks
Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jul 18, 2013
It depends on his own will..but doing it before before Graduating will help him alot as this will expand his understanding of what he has been studying

1 Like

Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Godwin10(m): 5:48pm On Jul 18, 2013
Mr Eddie, Are you a computer graduate.?
Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Godwin10(m): 10:04pm On Jul 18, 2013
And pls wqts d cost to learn Comptia A+
Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by mikkyphp(m): 9:22am On Jul 19, 2013
there is a huge world awaiting the computer engineer once he graduates. and for the record, he is not being taught to be a computer technician after 5years in the university. Do you know who an engineer is in any discipline? Another 1 year for a defunct comptia A+ certification? Abeg! which competent IT company asks for that as part of employment requirements?

This engineer in training need mentorship. IT is wide. is it software, hardware, storage, virtualization, networking, Database Admin, Management information systems etc he is interested in?
he has 1 of two options:
1. Recognize your area of interest and do the requisite certifications in-line and tailor your CV appropriately after graduation
2. Hope for a company to hire you as a fresh graduate and go through their training and let it shape your career/certifications/specialization curve

my2cents

1 Like

Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Godwin10(m): 11:34am On Jul 19, 2013
mikky u jux said my mind, he said he likes networking, buh between those u mentioned which do u advice he should delve into as according to the nigeria economy. Tnks much for ur reply.
Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by mikkyphp(m): 3:14pm On Jul 21, 2013
my guy, follow your interest and be the best in it! Nigerian economy has nothing to do with it.

2 Likes

Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by ocelot2006(m): 7:51pm On Jul 21, 2013
Comptia A+ ? Hell no. Besides, computer engineering is a subdivision of elect/elect, so I'm pretty sure he'll fit into communication engineering roles easily.
Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Godwin10(m): 8:01pm On Jul 21, 2013
ocelot, ur idea is also appreciated. Dats hw i c computer engineering in Nigeria.
Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by BMBIT: 10:55am On Jul 23, 2013
WE ALSO provide It training and certification .link is here http://eccouncil..in/
Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 23, 2013
ocelot2006: Comptia A+ ? Hell no. Besides, computer engineering is a subdivision of elect/elect, so I'm pretty sure he'll fit into communication engineering roles easily.

Elect elect has got nothing to do with computer, whatever hardware training you need to handle a computer system which is the supposedly called computer engineering in Nigeria is covered in A+ http://certification.comptia.org/home.aspx A+ is what you need to become a certified computer hardware engineer, so do not deceive yourself with that whatever elect, elect whatever, if you like study the whole computer engineering in a Nigerian University, without an A+ You are not a professionally certified computer Technician. the IT world has gone beyond where people without the skills needed get employed...if you need the Job, get the certification, it is just like an Electrician calling himself an eletrician because he knows how to Join two wires together to produce current, perhaps when you go to other developed countries only a certified electrician is allowed to operate on an Electrical area...so my friend go for the certification and make a wise choice.

1 Like

Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 23, 2013
Godwin10: And pls wqts d cost to learn Comptia A+

I am still doing my A+, but not in Nigeria, and it costs me approximately 220k Nigerian Naira, if you want to find a certified training center go to http://certification.comptia.org/home.aspx you will see that there are only 2 approved centers in Nigeria by Comptia which are Firstlogic and Software Technology Park Ltd both in Lagos...and also you must understand that with Comptia A+ you can work with that certificate as a computer technician anywhere around the world because it is an International Certification, meanwhile you cant even use your Nigeria PHD degree in South Africa because it holds no value

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Godwin10(m): 5:46pm On Jul 23, 2013
eddie, what field of study are u in
Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 23, 2013
Godwin10: eddie, what field of study are u in

Computer Technician/System Administrator

The pic answers your question

1 Like

Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Godwin10(m): 5:58pm On Jul 23, 2013
gREAT EDDIE, U STUDY AT BOSTON. Hope the bomb junior isnt disturbing you.
U doin masters or undergraduate programme
Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 23, 2013
Godwin10: gREAT EDDIE, U STUDY AT BOSTON. Hope the bomb junior isnt disturbing you.
U doin masters or undergraduate programme

Undergraduate program, and this Boston is in South Africa

1 Like

Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Godwin10(m): 7:20pm On Jul 23, 2013
Eddie am gonna need ur number bro. you on whatsapp.
Re: What Computer Engineers Do After Graduating. by Nobody: 12:15am On Aug 06, 2013
Godwin10: Eddie am gonna need ur number bro. you on whatsapp.

But i am not in Nigeria although my Nigerian number is still registered on my whatsapp, + or you can SMS or call at \

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Tension In Foods, Drinks Sector Over Expatriate Quota Abuse / A Degree At National Open University ,after Hnd / 5 Skills That Will Make You Successfull As A Realtor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.