Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,711 members, 7,805,924 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:31 AM

Automatic Gearbox Problems - Car Talk (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Gearbox Problems (188262 Views)

Are You An Automatic Gearbox Wrecker? / Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here / Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by kulikuli45: 3:39pm On Aug 18, 2016
cardoctor:

Your mechanic probably removed the drive shaft while the gearbox was still hot.

VERY DANGEROUS PROCEDURE.

Its a common mistake that mechanics make. If the drive shaft is removed while the gearbox is hot, cool air gets into the gearbox through the shaft hole rapidly cooling the inside of the gearbox. This causes the temperature sensitive metal components inside the gearbox to contract faster than it normally would. This phenomenon could distort or warp the valve body constricting the space that the plunger valves travel in. The consequences is that transmission fluid would not flow as designed to and valves would not open or shut properly to allow the engagement of gears or the smooth transmission of torque to the wheels.

You might be looking at a new gearbox or an extensive overhaul.

Car-Doctor.
Wow!
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by meksfem(m): 9:52am On Aug 19, 2016
NAIRALANDERS THERE IS A FREE PROMO GOING ON FOR FIRST THREE(3) EXOTIC CARS FOR A COMPREHENSIVE CAR WASH, WHICH WOULD BRING BACK YOUR CAR TO A NEW ONE AT 365, AGEGE MOTOR ROAD ILUPEJU MEECHEAL EXCELS LTD. CALL EMEKA ON 09087128992 FOR THE SERVICE AT THE COMPANY. GET YOURS NOW BEFORE OFFER CLOSES!!!
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by mustay2601: 9:21pm On Aug 20, 2016
Car Doctor, pls I used Toyota camry 1999, Gear 1 is always sluggish as in very very sluggish,and I changed the gear oil to ATF Oil and d mechanic reset something close to gear switch and it works that day and after then it goes back to d previous conditions ,now d mechanic is advising me to change d get completely.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by bodetheo(m): 4:26pm On Aug 22, 2016
pls ENGR I use a Chevrolet automatic car but my Engine will raise on moving many times my mechanic said it is the gear that is raising I,ve change the gear oil but still raising as if I match on tortle
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Kashif(m): 5:14pm On Aug 22, 2016
bodetheo:
pls ENGR I use a Chevrolet automatic car but my Engine will raise on moving many times my mechanic said it is the gear that is raising I,ve change the gear oil but still raising as if I match on tortle

provide VIN
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by MrBuzy: 8:32pm On Aug 22, 2016
Please can somebody help with this. My 2002 Honda Odyssey jerks when ever it wants to change gear and sometimes after jerking it will change gear. Sometimes you need to remove your leg from the gas pedal before it will change gear. Please anybody knows what the problem is?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Kashif(m): 9:10pm On Aug 22, 2016
MrBuzy:
Please can somebody help with this. My 2002 Honda Odyssey jerks when ever it wants to change gear and sometimes after jerking it will change gear. Sometimes you need to remove your leg from the gas pedal before it will change gear. Please anybody knows what the problem is?

Any recent job? Any code(s)?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by MrBuzy: 10:07pm On Aug 22, 2016
Kashif:

Any recent job? Any code(s)?
No.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by bodetheo(m): 6:18am On Aug 23, 2016
Kashif:

provide VIN
pls meaning of vin pls?? l said the car is accelerating by it self without pressing throttle cable I have remove the throttle cable but still raising even at park it raises
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Kashif(m): 7:59am On Aug 23, 2016
bodetheo:
pls meaning of vin pls?? l said the car is accelerating by it self without pressing throttle cable I have remove the throttle cable but still raising even at park it raises

VIN = Vehicle Identification Number. It is your vehicle's DNA (17 alphanumeric characters). I need it to ID your vehicle but if you dont have it, provide vehicle details - model, year, engine.

Meanwhile, you are not having a transmission issue. Scan, but I would start my troubleshooting with you MAF.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Kashif(m): 8:01am On Aug 23, 2016
MrBuzy:

No.

Was it scanned? You are likely having troubles with your pressure switches and/or solenoids. It could also be external.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by MrBuzy: 9:19am On Aug 23, 2016
Kashif:

Was it scanned? You are likely having troubles with your pressure switches and/or solenoids. It could also be external.
The Pressure switch has being changed. The two big solenoid has being serviced and the problem is still their.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Kashif(m): 9:58am On Aug 23, 2016
MrBuzy:

The Pressure switch has being changed. The two big solenoid has being serviced and the problem is still their.

These were 'serviced' ?

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by MrBuzy: 10:28am On Aug 23, 2016
Kashif:

These were 'serviced' ?
Yes
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by MrBuzy: 10:34am On Aug 23, 2016
Kashif:

These were 'serviced' ?
Yes.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Kashif(m): 5:16pm On Aug 23, 2016
See below.

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by MrBuzy: 9:56pm On Aug 23, 2016
MrBuzy:
Yes.
What will I do with this pic.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by connkg(m): 4:29am On Aug 24, 2016
Hahaha.
I could get a job as an online translator here!
Please, people, try to break stuff down...
Q: "What can be serviced in complexity below (see pix)?"
A: "Dunno. Kazeem took money from me and "serviced" it!"
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Kashif(m): 8:17am On Aug 24, 2016
The reason I posted that picture is for you to see many components that could be your problem, and not just those two. I don't know how he serviced the solenoids (he may have just connected them to battery to click, which many times is not enough).

Again, you could be having electrical issue. What you described is a system-wide problem, meaning a major denominator (something that affects all clutches) is the culprit. Could be ECU, cable, CPC solenoid(s), sensor, ground etc.

What your tech did was simply not enough. That's the point. Let him diagnose further. He should command shifts manually and see what happens. Good luck.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by MrBuzy: 3:30pm On Aug 24, 2016
Kashif:
The reason I posted that picture is for you to see many components that could be your problem, and not just those two. I don't know how he serviced the solenoids (he may have just connected them to battery to click, which many times is not enough).

Again, you could be having electrical issue. What you described is a system-wide problem, meaning a major denominator (something that affects all clutches) is the culprit. Could be ECU, cable, CPC solenoid(s), sensor, ground etc.

What your tech did was simply not enough. That's the point. Let him diagnose further. He should command shifts manually and see what happens. Good luck.
Ok thank you.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Vicben(m): 2:05pm On Sep 18, 2016
Good day auto geniuses,
I have a Toyota Corolla 2005 with 1ZZ engine and automatic transmission. Two days ago while driving home from work, I noticed that the car was revving high but the speed was not proportionate to the sound from the engine.

I slowed down and noticed there was a jerk from the drive shaft and a sudden change in the gear system. The car was stuck on gear two.

Now, the car doesn't move beyond gear three, it'll manage to get to gear three but it disengages itself after a short while.

What could be the possible problem and what I do? I checked my oil and it's intact. I've driven it for about 2600km since the last time changed in May this year.

I intend visiting a mechanic tomorrow Monday but I want to have an idea of what could be the problem and possibly the cost implications.

thanks

cc: sienna cardoctor
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Kashif(m): 2:45pm On Sep 18, 2016
Vicben:
Good day auto geniuses,
I have a Toyota Corolla 2005 with 1ZZ engine and automatic transmission. Two days ago while driving home from work, I noticed that the car was revving high but the speed was not proportionate to the sound from the engine.

I slowed down and noticed there was a jerk from the drive shaft and a sudden change in the gear system. The car was stuck on gear two.

Now, the car doesn't move beyond gear three, it'll manage to get to gear three but it disengages itself after a short while.

What could be the possible problem and what I do? I checked my oil and it's intact. I've driven it for about 2600km since the last time changed in May this year.

I intend visiting a mechanic tomorrow Monday but I want to have an idea of what could be the problem and possibly the cost implications.

thanks

cc: sienna cardoctor

Scan first.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by ReLaTE(m): 3:52pm On Sep 19, 2016
I changed my gearbox last month and the gear and movement of the car was fine,but after travelling with the car for 180 km journey,on my way back i noticed that the gear is slipping. After scanning no code was found,it selects all the gears smoothly but once i drive up to 30 minutes,the slipping will resume.Car is Golf 3.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by segemafia(m): 5:37pm On Sep 19, 2016
Hello House,please i just noticed of recent that my Mitsubishi Galant 2001 model car do have issues in engaging the Drive and there was a particular time the car decelerated while in motion..the transmission has been working very fine up till now.The only thing i can link to this issue was that there was a time the car was having stalling issues,so i mistakenly shifted the stick to park while the car has not fully stopped as if using it to stop the car..the gear made one funny noise but still worked well for weeks not until recent that the issue started.

So now it works well most of the times and it acts up once in a while,so i need to know what i can do in order to salvage this situation,my mechanic was telling me about replacing the gear box totally,so i don't mind if anyone can give me a rough estimate of how much it would cost me.Thanks
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Conner44: 8:46pm On Sep 20, 2016
Please how much can I see a good automatic gearbox for Honda Accord 2004 i4 engine. I need an approximate or exact price so I know where to buy from
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Auto249: 9:33pm On Sep 20, 2016
Training Training Training, learn how to operate automobile diagnostic tools. scanning machines, key programmers, ECU programmers from the experts. Contact us on 08034636279, 08100981296.A trial will convince you.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by EVEREST91: 6:11pm On Oct 22, 2016
dear car doctor, please i need your advice, i worked my engin in my toyota 2000 camry and after testing the car, it refused to move when on D or R, then the mechanic got my gear filter washed and said there is some particles and he used visco 2000 engin oil on my gear, and it started moving again. but the problem now is that it refuse to kick down and while driving it change fast without the Engin raising high unlike beforw the engin will raise before it change gear. please advice me on what to do
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by lonelydude: 7:53pm On Oct 22, 2016
Hello Car Doctor,

I purchased a tokunbo auto gearbox for my 2002 RAV4 but ever since it's been installed, the speedometer stopped working and I also noticed delay in gear response to a higher speed when I accelraccelerate.

I took it to an autoelectrician who changed the speed sensor but the issue is not solved. He said the sensor is okay.

Please; what do you think could be wrong since I just bought the gearbox?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by GBase1: 4:01am On Oct 30, 2016
bebedlolo:
Dear Car Doc, please my 07 camry doesn't move when en engaged in any gear at all. It stopped me on the road and won't move.it is auto transmission. It was towed to a workshop. The mechanic claimed a wrong oil was used which I can't remember. He said it is a Nissan oil that was used. I kinda believed him cos I also used an fx35, so I suspect any of my siblings may have used the fx35 oil for the camry. Ok, cos I was broke then, I yielded to his advice to buy another gear box but 10pin instead of 13pin that came with the car. Movement seems ok but I noticed the transmission isn't too smooth, worst of all, it jerks when moving from 1 to 2. Pls what danger does this pose on the box and any other critical part of the car? Pls I need your help. Thank you

Hello bebedlolo,

i am experiencing the same issue, were you finally able to solve yours ?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by lilkech(m): 9:01am On Oct 30, 2016
Hi all, I just changed my gearbox 3 weeks ago and topped it off with the recommended atf (z1) for Honda EOD but two days ago I noticed that if I'm accelerating and the Gear wants to enter gear 2 the car sort of makes a thud and the wheels 'screech' but apart from this the Gear shifts perfectly well. The only issues is getting from gear 1 to 2 smoothly.

I took it to one auto gearbox guru who just looked at it and asked me the symptoms of the problem then after telling him he pointed to one stuff on my engine and said I should change it and the problem will go away.

Please can someone tell me what the name of this switch is and how much it could cost me to get another one? I haven't scanned the car yet.

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Petmayor: 11:37am On Oct 30, 2016
Good day all! I urgently need the Nissan Matic-D Automatic Transmission Fluid for my Nissan Altima 2003. Please where can I get it? I resides in Ibadan.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (26) (Reply)

Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread / Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.