Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,825 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:31 PM

Automatic Gearbox Problems - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Gearbox Problems (188399 Views)

Are You An Automatic Gearbox Wrecker? / Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here / Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by delaw4u: 4:21pm On Nov 19, 2013
Tanx car doctor
My car is vw passat 2003
1.8t
Auto tranny
Issue
1 when I put the car to drive and reverse it vibrate and when is at park or neutral it stop
2 the car consume more fuel that it should consume
Please what do you suggest is the problem and solutions
Tanx
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by delaw4u: 4:27pm On Nov 19, 2013
Tanx Dr
My car is 03 vw passat
1.8T
Auto tranny
Issue
The car vibrate when I put the gear to driver and reverse others none
2 its consume more fuel than it should be
Possible solution
Please Dr help I just aquired the car from us nothing has been done on it
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 1:43am On Nov 20, 2013
delaw4u: Tanx Dr
My car is 03 vw passat
1.8T
Auto tranny
Issue
The car vibrate when I put the gear to driver and reverse others none
2 its consume more fuel than it should be
Possible solution
Please Dr help I just aquired the car from us nothing has been done on it

I think you have an engine problem rather than a gearbox one. Have the car scanned first.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by delaw4u: 8:39am On Nov 20, 2013
Ok I will let you know when I scan the vehicle
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Nobody: 12:45am On Nov 21, 2013
car-doctor:
YOU can get Golf ATF from any of your local car parts store but I don't know where you are. We are in Abuja though and its quite readily available here. Best equivalent is Dexron 3 from a good manufacturer like Mobil or Oando.

Use Abro or Holt for your power steering.

Car-Doctor.

Good thread you've got going here. smiley

Just so you know though - the ZF5HP19-A in the '03 Volkswagen Passat won't tolerate the regular red ATF! That will destroy the transmission. The power steering too won't run with any fluid other than VW G002 or CHF11S. If regular ATF is used, the seals in the PAS rack and pump will expand, and leak.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by kenyarttar: 6:14am On Nov 21, 2013
God bless you for this thread car-doctor, thanks for leading me here Siena. I'm in Abuja and i will surely get in touch.

Automatic gearbox issues have become a reoccuring decimal to any automatic car owner. Slow take off, sluggish acceleration, lack of kick down, loss of drive while in motion, lack of gear change, aggressive gear changes, high engine revs without power in drive just to name a few.

As you said this is exactly the issue i'm having with my Volks Wagen 2001 model. Looking at your profile on Nairaland i'm having the confidence you can help me as an expert and not all these quack mechanics who recommend A and B by trial and error just draining one's pocket in the process.

I know your prices might be a little bit on the high side cos you're standard but what is worth doing is worth doing well. Please don't fail oh!

Expect a call from me ASAP. Muchas gracias!!!
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by deeja(m): 10:28am On Nov 21, 2013
My car is 07 Honda Civic.
Sometimes it jerks especially when I am try to accelerate between 28-33km/h.
Please could it be the transmission or something else?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by wasolad01: 7:58am On Nov 22, 2013
car-doctor:
Automatic gearbox issues have become a reoccuring decimal to any automatic car owner. Slow take off, sluggish acceleration, lack of kick down, loss of drive while in motion, lack of gear change, aggressive gear changes, high engine revs without power in drive just to name a few.

From my observation and the complaints made by some of our customers, these problems usually start from a gearbox oil change that was recommended by the mechanic who then uses the wrong type of ATF oil for the transmission.

Most car manufacturers develop their own ATF formular for their cars.

Honda recommends their own formular ATF-z1 for their gearboxes manufactured between 1998 to 2009 and upgraded to the ATF-Dw1 for gearboxes manufactured from 2010 upwards.

Toyota uses the Type 4 ATF for their cars manufactured between1996 to 2007 and the Toyota WS ATF for ones manufactured between 2007 to present.

Most other car manufactures have also upgraded the type of ATF for their modern cars.

Using the wrong grade of ATF would almost certainly result in a failing transmission. Low grade ATF may not be able to handle the high temperature operations operations of a gearbox. Under very high temperatures, low grade oil loses its fluidity and may begin to boil causing loss of hydraulic functions by frothing or foaming.

Some remedies I have seen used by local mechanics is to further add engine oil to the gearbox in order to thicken the viscosity of the ATF. This in turn puts the pump under great stress as the thicker oil would require more effort from the pump in distributing the oil under high pressure as well as the oil filter which is usually embedded within the transmission gear train. (The removal and changing of all Honda transmission oil filter would require the removal of the gear box from the car and stripping down the gearbox)

The resulting consequence would be an imminent and extreme overheating of the transmission and components such as the friction plates and a rapid degradation of the wet clutch fibres hence the loss of drive, slipping clutch and rough gear changes.

Replacing the gearbox or a total overhaul by an expert would be the likely solution but before then, an inexperienced mechanic would Send you on a wild goose chase by suggesting the removal and servicing or outright replacement of shift solenoids on the outer casing of the gearbox. These solutions Don't last as its just a temporal remedy to a terminal issue.

We constantly repair these gearboxes and those of other makes to a very high standard with 99.9% success rate and we recommend that if you are having serious issues with your automatic gearbox, ensure that the appropriate procedures are followed.

Car-Doctor.

Hello car doctor,
Please I need your help on my Mazda MPV 2002 model. The car is very sluggish on takeoff. sooner, it was just reving up and refuse to move if I put in drive or 1 or 2. it was making noise and producing bad smells.
I called a mechanic to check it but he told me the gearbox is burnt and I should change it. Please your professional and ever-helpful advice is needed.
Note: I am a novice because this is my first automatic car.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:24am On Nov 22, 2013
Siena:

Good thread you've got going here. smiley

Just so you know though - the ZF5HP19-A in the '03 Volkswagen Passat won't tolerate the regular red ATF! That will destroy the transmission. The power steering too won't run with any fluid other than VW G002 or CHF11S. If regular ATF is used, the seals in the PAS rack and pump will expand, and leak.

Thanks Sienna. I've not seen the VW G002 yet but I've used the personally imported VW G052162A2 or VW TL52162A2 which also Interchanges with ATF DEXRON III-H.

The challenge that we have here in Nigeria is that you simply can't walk into a spare parts shop and ask for these specific items. They just don't stock them here so adaptations have to be made by using the nearest variant which in this case is DEXRON III-H.

The DEXRON III-H can easily be sourced here so most VW, Seat, Skoda and Audi owners use the variants that within the DEXRON III band.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by delaw4u: 8:53am On Nov 25, 2013
Car doct am waiting,
Please I have not seen your reply 000
My vw passat 03
Auto tranny,1.8t
Issue
When I put the gear to D or R and I press the brake the car vibrate if my foot off the pedal brake it doesn't,if its on P or N it does not vibrate also
Please what to check on the car
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by dandollar1: 9:15am On Nov 26, 2013
Recently,My D light on d dashboard sometimes doesn't come on immidiately when I shift from P to D. Sumtimes, I have to shift the gear stick out of D and back before it comes on.
Its a 2007 honda accord.what could be the problem?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by pafestula(m): 9:21am On Nov 26, 2013
Please car doctor, what transmission fluid is suitable for A160 1999 model? Thanks
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by afope: 6:47pm On Nov 26, 2013
Hello ar doctor,

I have a converted landcruiser RHD to LHD . The aircon is not working well as its not cooling. What can i do.? I also notice that whenever i press the brake sharply, the car swerve slightly to the right. What can i do?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by delaw4u: 11:06am On Nov 28, 2013
Oga sienna
I have scanned the car
Vw passat 1.8T
Auto tranny
When I scanned the car nothing was found except the 02 sensor that make the check engine light stable on the dash board
2 the car still vibrate when I put the gear on D r R and my foot on the pedal brake
3 the car voice rise when I start the engine in morning or after long sitting and the voice later goes down as normal,any way I found out I was told is normal due to turbo engine is that wright
Please your suggestn or advice tanx
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by dandollar1: 12:26am On Dec 02, 2013
Recently,My D light on d
dashboard sometimes
doesn't come on immidiately
when I shift from P to D.
Sumtimes, I have to touch the gear stick or shift it
out of D and back
before it comes on.
Its a 2007 honda
accord.what could be the problem?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 1:08am On Dec 02, 2013
dan_dollar: Recently,My D light on d
dashboard sometimes
doesn't come on immidiately
when I shift from P to D.
Sumtimes, I have to touch the gear stick or shift it
out of D and back
before it comes on.
Its a 2007 honda
accord.what could be the problem?

Your gear selector switch may be faulty or not properly adjusted to the transmission control spindle.

Car-Doctor.

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 1:44am On Dec 02, 2013
delaw4u: Car doct am waiting,
Please I have not seen your reply 000
My vw passat 03
Auto tranny,1.8t
Issue
When I put the gear to D or R and I press the brake the car vibrate if my foot off the pedal brake it doesn't,if its on P or N it does not vibrate also
Please what to check on the car

Possibly a faulty Transmission Torque Converter or faulty Valve Body. Very common problems with VWs. Try a transmission fluid flush. That might help.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by kaykad: 4:23pm On Dec 02, 2013
PLS HOW DO U KNOW IF YOUR HONDA ACCORD BABY BOY AUTO TRANMISISON IS ABOUT TO GIV me PROBLEM. JUST BOUGHT accord 99 model RESENTLY AND THE D4 LIGHT IS NO MORE SHOWING after D mechanic top the oil WITH ABRO OIL and now the D4 light is not showing again>>PLS WAT DO U DO NEXT.PLS I NEED YOUR HELP VERY URGENT.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 11:46pm On Dec 02, 2013
kaykad: PLS HOW DO U KNOW IF YOUR HONDA ACCORD BABY BOY AUTO TRANMISISON IS ABOUT TO GIV me PROBLEM. JUST BOUGHT accord 99 model RESENTLY AND THE D4 LIGHT IS NO MORE SHOWING after D mechanic top the oil WITH ABRO OIL and now the D4 light is not showing again>>PLS WAT DO U DO NEXT.PLS I NEED YOUR HELP VERY URGENT.

Remove that ABRO atf as soon as possible or else it would damage your gearbox.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by delaw4u: 8:51am On Dec 03, 2013
Car-doct

I scanned my 2003 vw passat today
Auto tranny 1.8T
They diagnose it and the code was P0229
Please what is the problem and the solution to this as no other things was found
Tanx
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by delaw4u: 8:51am On Dec 03, 2013
I re scanned my 2003 vw passat today
Auto tranny 1.8T
They diagnose it and the code was P0229
Please what is the problem and the solution to this
Tanx
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by kaykad: 10:31am On Dec 03, 2013
I HAVE DRAINED OUT THE AMBRO ATF AND WHEN TO OANDO AND BOUGHT A DEXTRONIII ATF AND REFILLED.but the D4 light is still not showing. please help
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by ade1234: 7:08pm On Dec 03, 2013
Thanks for all the enlightenment on gear problem, i really appreciate it. Welldone Doc.

Please, help me out on this, my nissan pathfinder 2001/2002 usually shows ''ATF temp'' light on the cluster after i have driven for about an hour on the highway. what do you advise.

thanks
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Consent(m): 7:29pm On Dec 03, 2013
Car doctor,i really appreciate you.pls which gear oil should i use for my toyota camry(orobo)

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 9:27pm On Dec 03, 2013
kaykad: I HAVE DRAINED OUT THE AMBRO ATF AND WHEN TO OANDO AND BOUGHT A DEXTRONIII ATF AND REFILLED.but the D4 light is still not showing. please help

Your gear selector range switch may be the fault. Change it and observe if there is a difference.

The D4 light also has a light bulb that lights it up when the selector engages the gears. Check also to see if the bulb is ok.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by tolugar: 10:34pm On Dec 04, 2013
hi Car doctor. i want to you to help me chose between
toyota camry 2001 and 2002 camry (big for nothing) not considering price
and also this issue of automatict and manual, which is better. i drive both
very well.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 11:08pm On Dec 04, 2013
ade1234: Thanks for all the enlightenment on gear problem, i really appreciate it. Welldone Doc.

Please, help me out on this, my nissan pathfinder 2001/2002 usually shows ''ATF temp'' light on the cluster after i have driven for about an hour on the highway. what do you advise.

thanks

Your gearbox may be overheating or you have a faulty gearbox temperature sensor.

The auto gearbox operates at very high temperatures due to the high pressure that the hydraulic fluid circulates within the gearbox. If the ATF is not cooled, it could boil and lose its hydraulic properties. The gearbox also could overheat and damage internal components such as rubber seals and plastic materials in the gearbox.

Because of this reason, cooling is vital. In most cars, the engine coolant radiator serves as the oil cooler or a seperate heat radiation device attached to the gearbox and supplied with coolant from the engine radiator.

Some gearboxes have temperature sensors attached to them to monitor and warn on temperature conditions of the gearbox or its fluid.

Check to see if the pipes that pass ATF through the radiator for cooling are connected. They are usually at the bottom of the coolant radiator. If the circulation of the atf through the radiator is restricted, cooling the oil in the gearbox would be will impeded.

Car-Doctor.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 12:50am On Dec 05, 2013
tolugar: hi Car doctor. i want to you to help me chose between
toyota camry 2001 and 2002 camry (big for nothing) not considering price
and also this issue of automatict and manual, which is better. i drive both
very well.

Not a bad car at all. Don't know why they call it "big for nothing".

Choose between the 2.4 ltr 4 cylinder model or the 3.0 ltr v6. Trim varies from base CE/ LE to luxury XLE. And may reflect on the price but manual is not an easy option as most are automatic.

The chioce still is yours.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by ade1234: 9:33am On Dec 05, 2013
Thanks Car Doctor,

I really appreciate your response to my worries. As you advised I will act accordingly. (i.e. by asking my mechanic to check my the temperature sensor and the coolant link to the gearbox.

Best regards
Wale
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by EUI2013: 1:54pm On Dec 05, 2013
Car Dr., I drive a 2002 Skovda Octavia, which using VW gearbox. I recently discovered that in d morning when I engage the D drive d car drags(it doesn't move well) @ first when I accelerate d car. This happens in the morning for some seconds.
Pls advice me pls & if am 2 service d gearbox advice on d best ATF to use because my mechanic said I should either Mobil ATF or seahose ATF
Pls advice, thanks
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by muyismayor: 1:52pm On Dec 06, 2013
Pls our doctor, d gurus & d engrs... Pls, what type of ATF fluid do I need for my 2001 Honda Civic & how can I get d original one DW-1 or Z-1?
And like how much does a litre cost?.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by muyismayor: 8:57am On Dec 07, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread / Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.