Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

The Economic Importance Of Road Traffic - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Economic Importance Of Road Traffic (1457 Views)

Who Gave This Vehicle Certificate Of Road Worthiness? / I Am More Afraid Of Road Safety Than Police And Army. / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Economic Importance Of Road Traffic by nenergy(m): 9:43am On Jul 20, 2013
I first came across the phrase “economic importance” in my junior secondary school. I was amazed that bacteria could have any ‘importance’ other than making us sick. Yesterday, while commuting back from work, I ran into serious traffic. As I sat there wondering when I will get home, a thought came to my mind and at the end I concluded that even road traffic has some economic importance.

Traffic is a life saver

According to research, the second highest cause of road accidents (after distracted driving) is speeding. So if speed kills, traffic is a life saver. Lagos drivers are known for reckless driving, over speeding and running red lights. Hence, traffic is the only time they really drive courteously. Even that doesn’t stop them from brushing other road user’s bumper.

Traffic is good for the economy

You can’t miss the shouts of “Gala-gala”, “Buy butter bread”, “cold mineral here”, whenever traffic builds up anywhere in Nigeria. Traffic provides a meeting point for seller and potential buyers, thereby creating a source of income for thousands of housholds.

These are the 2 economic importance I can come up with now, feel free to add yours!
Re: The Economic Importance Of Road Traffic by lonelydora: 11:35am On Jul 20, 2013
3. It helps reduce car theft. No car snatcher dares to steal a car during traffic.

4. It helps police and other. Uniform personnel to catch their prey easily.
Re: The Economic Importance Of Road Traffic by nenergy(m): 1:54pm On Jul 20, 2013
lonelydora: 3. It helps reduce car theft. No car snatcher dares to steal a car during traffic.

4. It helps police and other. Uniform personnel to catch their prey easily.
Beautiful!!!!! Thanks!
Re: The Economic Importance Of Road Traffic by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 30, 2013
I also learnt that Economic Importance can be positive and negative as well
here comes the negative...
Should one car overheat and catch fire...R.I.P to other cars that'll be part of the chain reaction.

1 Like

Re: The Economic Importance Of Road Traffic by elektra80: 9:35pm On Jul 30, 2013
Bossforeva: I also learnt that Economic Importance can be positive and negative as well
here comes the negative...
Should one car overheat and catch fire...R.I.P to other cars that'll be part of the chain reaction.

ANd if there's an emergency and someone needs to be taken to the hospital and get caught in traffic. Its RIP

1 Like

Re: The Economic Importance Of Road Traffic by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jul 30, 2013
lonelydora: 3. It helps reduce car theft. No car snatcher dares to steal a car during traffic.
In Nigeria, a lot of armed robbery cases occurs in traffic jam even in broad day light.
In the UK after years of painstaking research, as at 2008, value of time spent in traffic during working hours was circa £5. Imagine how many people have been late for appointments, meetings, interviews e.t.c and the amount of stress spent in traffic.
You are also more likely to burn your car clutch disc.. Imagine someone leaving home at 5.30am and gets home at 10.30pm, the cycle repeats itself for 5. straight working days, all these affects your pocket and health.

1 Like

Re: The Economic Importance Of Road Traffic by nenergy(m): 6:18pm On Aug 01, 2013
Good point raised. Thanks!

(1) (Reply)

2017 Hoda Civic Type R: Fastest Production FWD Car / Charming Photos Of The New Rolls-royce Phantom VIII / Man Who Stored 2cars Worth $1k For 26years To Sell Them $4M Now(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.