Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" (14962 Views)

Buhari Appoints Maryam Uwais Special Adviser / Senator Yerima: "Biafra Struggle Is Legitimate" - Daily Times / Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jul 22, 2013
It is certainly not mandatory in Islam that girls must be married off as minors, so to keep insisting that this practice must remain sacrosanct, given the background of needs in Northern Nigeria, is incongruous, even under the Shari’a.

Thank you for this Maryam because I've been asking myself whether it is a sin in Islam to marry an adult.

2 Likes

Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by deols(f): 6:06pm On Jul 22, 2013
The age at which a girl must marry is not defined in Islam.

So, marrying very early doesnt make you more religious nor does marrying late make you less of a Muslim.

If anything about being married early is proven to be unhealthy vis a vis, VVF, I dont think legislating against it is wrong.

In essence, if early marriage is seen to be of great danger to the girls involved, legislating against it would be right.
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by jalay(m): 6:09pm On Jul 22, 2013
micklplus: Mrs Uwais made very valid points. Her thoughts are very deep. To me, this is what a true muslim should canvass for. She explained her valids clearly.

I would rather my muslim friends and scholars embrace her notion instead of casting fire and brimstone in support of #childmarriage.

There are some things that are better left in the past. One of such thing is,#childmarriage!!!!

The reason we have brain is to use it. The reason we are given wisdom is to apply it to make life better all of us.

God didn't create us a monster, craddle robber, r.a.pist, why bring allah into our sh.I.t?

the God who seath on the throne is watching.. Pray because the dayz are evil, so many will lead others to HELL
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by micklplus(m): 6:11pm On Jul 22, 2013
jalay:
the God who seath on the throne is watching.. Pray because the dayz are evil, so many will lead others to HELL

Ok noted, thanks.
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by sureway1(m): 6:16pm On Jul 22, 2013
Pls read this article don't just comment if you do not believe you'll learn something new then you'll believe OBJ is 4rm ltaly...
this muslim woman need an award for this write up...
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by Phikom(m): 6:19pm On Jul 22, 2013
aiye senator yerima ti baje.....
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by phestus(m): 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2013
Knowledge is Knowledge (in this case atleast),is either you have it or not.Maryam Uwais have said it all,this is what reasoning should be base on.
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by sureway1(m): 6:22pm On Jul 22, 2013
Where is maclatunji?

1 Like

Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by farem: 6:29pm On Jul 22, 2013
I STILL FIND IT ISLAMICALLY CONTRADICTORY THAT A WOMAN NO MATTER THE AGE OR STATUS IN SAUDI ARABIA & SOME OTHERS, IS NOT FIT OR MATURED TO VOTE OR DRIVE BUT 'Bleep-ABLE' IN THE ORDER OF THEIR PROPHET. I STILL DEY WONDER WHY A "GODLY" RELIGION GO PRESCRIBE A LONG, BIG, DICK FOR PRE-TEEN GIRLs AND GO STILL DEY LIMIT DEM IN OTHER AREAS OF LIFEwink- MY THOUGHT O.

2 Likes

Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by aikuda(m): 6:31pm On Jul 22, 2013
It is very good that we are all outraged by this despicable act of the senate, but the focus should not only be on yerima. What about the other senators who went along with thin? they should be called out as well.
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by Psylas(m): 6:31pm On Jul 22, 2013
Okija_juju: Im sick of Yerima...

1st it was Sharia.. (which has led to Boko Haram)

Now its Babyfucking... angry

NEXT!!! Camel, Goat & Cow Fvcking would be legalized...

1 Like

Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by mbhs139(m): 6:38pm On Jul 22, 2013
philips70: The points raised by the learned lady are not even the main issue about that facebook write-up posted on twitter by El-Rufai. You guys need to read it and go over all the comments mostly made by Muslims. You will be so shocked the North is filled with many Yerimas. The poor lady got the bashing of her life by thick skinned religious bigots. Mehn, after reading all that I hated the more Sir Fredrick Lord Lugard and all his cohorts. This is obviously a nation of many countries. I do not believe I belong to the same nation with those speakers. No, not at all. I personally place a curse on anyone who covertly or openly go against the division of this so called country. I just urge everyone to read all of that including the comments and you will see that there will never be an end to boko haram insurgency no matter the efforts of the JTF.

Why not give us a link so that we can as well read.

If the child is stunted in its first 1000 days, that condition is irreversible, [/b]so the future of these children, and the larger population, is permanently shortchanged. The health and nutritional needs of mothers, new-borns and children are closely linked, with young mothers accounting for a majority of severely malnourished children

This shocked me!
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by Orikinla(m): 6:45pm On Jul 22, 2013
The most analytical and beneficial article on this grossly misunderstood debate and I prefer to title it "Nigeria, Senator Yerima and the Dangers of Girl Child Marriage".
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by Kgdavid(m): 6:46pm On Jul 22, 2013
i don't have time read through all of this stuff, her arguments are for moslems to read and debate...all i know is that Children must not be married to adults in Nigeria!! the constitution gives you the right to practice your religion but not to the extent that you begin to practice religious rights which contravene human rights.
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by philips70(m): 6:50pm On Jul 22, 2013
[quote author=mbhs139]

Why not give us a link so that we can as well read.

The link is right there on first post
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by Bashirfuntua(m): 6:51pm On Jul 22, 2013
very good write up keep it on. And for yerima am very sure that he will never allowed that to happen to his doughter. But he keep on deceiving the puplic with religion. We the muslims literete ummah are against that
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by wisewale: 6:53pm On Jul 22, 2013
philips70: The points raised by the learned lady are not even the main issue about that facebook write-up posted on twitter by El-Rufai. You guys need to read it and go over all the comments mostly made by Muslims. You will be so shocked the North is filled with many Yerimas. The poor lady got the bashing of her life by thick skinned religious bigots. Mehn, after reading all that I hated the more Sir Fredrick Lord Lugard and all his cohorts. This is obviously a nation of many countries. I do not believe I belong to the same nation with those speakers. No, not at all. I personally place a curse on anyone who covertly or openly go against the division of this so called country. I just urge everyone to read all of that including the comments and you will see that there will never be an end to boko haram insurgency no matter the efforts of the JTF.
GBAM!!!!!!!!on point
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by Dzany(m): 6:58pm On Jul 22, 2013
madam uwais........., the senator already knew all and much more......
But, the fo.ol is just playing politics with religion....!
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by megastu(m): 7:00pm On Jul 22, 2013
She is the wife of former CJN. A very brilliant woman and one of the leading lawyers in Nigeria. Well done Maryam Uwais.
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by spacebus: 7:34pm On Jul 22, 2013
[b][/b]I keep sayin dis country is one big zoo,and animals differ according to what comes into his/her pocket.its a damn shame that our SINnators refuse to override the protests that Yerima put up,instead they put it to vote.democracy sometimes befuddles me angry

1 Like

Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by Nkanuzu: 7:40pm On Jul 22, 2013
What an incisive, detailed, educative research work and apt arguments from a Northern/muslim/learnered woman of substance- Maryam Uwais MFR! The senators who voted alongside Yerima, under d pretext of religion, against the controversial clause should hide their faces in shame and apologise to their constituencies. It is unfortunate and a sad commentary that typical Nigerian politicians use religion and tribe to deceive gullible members of the society and to pursue their personal/selfish interests.
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 22, 2013
Very well said madam op. Now the pities can stop hiding under religion. They should try refuting this clear explanation that makes sense to everyone including all other religion groups. Daniskas angry
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by Dblank(f): 8:15pm On Jul 22, 2013
Thank you Mrs Maryam Uwais,God bless you.

It is a shamne that at this stage and age, we are still talking about under-age marriage when we have more pressing issues like unemployements, kidnapping,unstable power supply, boko haram,bad roads, piracy etc. Where are the female senators in nigeria? The likes of oluremi tinubu,florence ita-giwa, kure from niger state.Women of susbtance like the minister of education Rukkayatu[ minister of education],sarah jubril and the rest. What are they doing?

Atiku abubakar, ibrahim babangida, buhari, muslims elders, sanusi lamido sanusi, and the rest. why are they not saying anything? It is a shame!The bottom line is that YERIMA and co should cover their faces in shame, all these old ragged men. chei!

Why would any parent give birth to a child and marry the child off at a tender age of 13 years old? Parents should learn to take responsibilities for their children and not sell them off because of money.

YERIMA SHOULD BE CASTRATED!
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 22, 2013
How can Nigerians(both male and female) make up only 2% of world population yet the Nigerian females(obviously Northern Muslims) make up 10% of VVF patients in the world. It's insane!
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by mbulela: 8:32pm On Jul 22, 2013
This woman is one of the few who's life and career is a stumbling block to the stereotype that the likes of Yerima wish to perpetuate. Intelligent, progressive and opinionated. I have all the time in the world for her kind of Islam.

2 Likes

Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by ThankGodEdeh(m): 8:37pm On Jul 22, 2013
I know Yarima very well. He is one of the worst governors history has ever known in Nigeria. He uses RELIGION as a tool of winning elections because he knows that his people are highly sensitive when it comes to religious matters. In the name of religion, he blinded his people to vote for a YORUBA MAN as the current governor of Zamfara State...
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by igbsam(m): 8:42pm On Jul 22, 2013
someone should please shot this yerima guy dead. The name dey make me vex. We should make it history abeg. Kill the child molester please.
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by mbulela: 8:44pm On Jul 22, 2013
I took your advise and read the comments. I have always been convinced that this country is held together by the greed of the ruling class.My belief has been reinforced. That there are people in this country with such warped beliefs? SMH
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by mbulela: 8:45pm On Jul 22, 2013
I'm strongly in support of the #ChildNotBride initiative. Give her pen not penis, ask for her books not boobs, pay her school fees not bride price, she needs education not ejaculation. Say NO to child bride today. Say no to insertion of decayed dicks into Nigerian children.

*comment not originally mine.
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by baby124: 8:47pm On Jul 22, 2013
Long post, need time to really read this...
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by HiDee2(m): 8:49pm On Jul 22, 2013

God bls u my brother 4m anoda mother. Urs is d best response I v yet read on ds topic and one of d best comments eva on NL. Dre's hope 4 Nigeria wit pple lik u. 4m my hrt i say, God bless u... I wud be humbled to mak frds wit u.
Re: Maryam Uwais - "Senator Yerima And Constitutional Review" by andyanders: 8:53pm On Jul 22, 2013
Yerima is a complete madman who should be thrown to the zoo. A man whose brain is of the specie of dog and pig. Yerima's generation with his children will be plagued with incurable decease. His female children will remain a curse and any that gets pregnant must die with the pregnancy. For seeing a female child as a tool to use and dispose, no female child and male child shall grow of age before departing this world. With his money, only sorrow will visit him. any female child that survives infant age must die with the pregnancy. Useless man.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osun PDP Suspends Iyiola Omisore / Kagara Abductions: All Students, Teachers and Family Members Have Been Released / Two Condemned Robbers Escape From Courtroom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.