Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 (17951 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Genevieve Nnaji Is Featured In 'Half Of A Yellow Sun' Trailer / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:52am On Jul 24, 2013
VillageBoi what is Thandie known for?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 7:50am On Jul 24, 2013
ThiefOfHearts: VillageBoi what is Thandie known for?

Eerrrmmmm she's known or used as a guilt trip... she's black innit? lolol

Nne, no worry too much, they don do their thing. Shebi we go still dey do our own nah! It's just make we aspire to huge things too wink
How you dey & where you dey siiiiince?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by ZN2: 8:52am On Jul 24, 2013
orgasticdance: ^^OMG, if only 10% of nollywood movies were made like this!

If only 10 percent I tell you. I'm hooked on this (will probably make the first 'nigerian themed' movie I've seen in years).

I have to say this is really creative.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by omar22(m): 10:31am On Jul 24, 2013
Afam4eva: I think they should have used Sophie Okonedo instead.

Like Sophie sounds anything like someone from Rwanda when she was up for an Oscar, Sophie sounds more an East Londoner than a Nigerian
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 10:37am On Jul 24, 2013
omar22:

Like Sophie sounds anything like someone from Rwanda when she was up for an Oscar, Sophie sounds more an East Londoner than a Nigerian
But someone with a Nigerian heritage will find it easier faking a Nigerian accent even if the person is not your typical Nigerian. Didn't you see how spotless Chiwetel Ejiofor's accent was in the movie despite being a British Nigerian just like Okonedo.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by ak47mann(m): 10:59am On Jul 24, 2013
Afam4eva: I can't believe i watched the trailer again. Is that weird?
why do u fink so?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by omar22(m): 11:02am On Jul 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
But someone with a Nigerian heritage will find it easier faking a Nigerian accent even if the person is not your typical Nigerian. Didn't you see how spotless Chiwetel Ejiofor's accent was in the movie despite being a British Nigerian just like Okonedo.

ITS A MOVIE!!!! what has heritage got to do with anything, common guys when are we going to stop nip-picking at everything Forest Whitaker and Kerry Washington sound nothing like an African let alone east african who have very thick African accent, they both got 5 stars! whats with the focus on Thandie atleast she is half African, what about Anika Noni Rose? all am saying the movie wants to sell a Nigerian story to the rest of world and the best we could do is complain and mummur! Common guys if I have £20m to invest into movies about a part of Nigerian History am sorry the key roles has to be played by top dogs of the movie screen. Atleast it takes courage to learn how to speak like an African< I would like to see any of our Nollywood artist mostly Ibo or Yoruba to speak with an Hause accent?

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 11:24am On Jul 24, 2013
^^^^^

Well said. Has been said so many times in that other thread but our people no gree at all.

Simple: if your dropping the coins and producing them hire the person you think is fit for the role and will get people into the cinema.

Filmmaking na business first & art second!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 11:31am On Jul 24, 2013
omar22:

ITS A MOVIE!!!! what has heritage got to do with anything, common guys when are we going to stop nip-picking at everything Forest Whitaker and Kerry Washington sound nothing like an African let alone east african who have very thick African accent, they both got 5 stars! whats with the focus on Thandie atleast she is half African, what about Anika Noni Rose? all am saying the movie wants to sell a Nigerian story to the rest of world and the best we could do is complain and mummur! Common guys if I have £20m to invest into movies about a part of Nigerian History am sorry the key roles has to be played by top dogs of the movie screen. Atleast it takes courage to learn how to speak like an African< I would like to see any of our Nollywood artist mostly Ibo or Yoruba to speak with an Hause accent?
Your post may be plausible because this is a Nigerian accent we're talking about, so the audience that this movie was made for may not care. The movie wasn't made for Nigerians anyways. Foreigner won't know the difference between a Nigerian, Ghanian or even South African accent, so anything that sounds strange and different from the accent they're used to as Americans and Europeans will do. The point i'm making is that if they wanted to pay attention to the accent and wanted to get it right in that regard, then using an Actor with a Nigerian heritage like Okonedo for example will mean a better interpretation of the accent. I think that's where the argument lay. I guess they used Thandie Newton cos she she has more name than any Actress of Nigerian or African/Black origin(i think so) and not because she was necessarily the best fit for the role. Don't forget that before shooting started there were worries that her skin color may not reflect the character that she portrays in the movie.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 11:32am On Jul 24, 2013
ak47mann: why do u fink so?
I usually don't watch trailers more than once. I find myself watching this one over and over again.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
Wow ! Nice movie. Can't wait to see it in cinemas.

Newton and Ejiofor are amazing actors !

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 12:15pm On Jul 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
The point i'm making is that if they wanted to pay attention to the accent and wanted to get it right in that regard, then using an Actor with a Nigerian heritage like Okonedo for example will mean a better interpretation of the accent.

As you've mentioned, that's not what they wanted. They just had to go for the biggest (appropriate) guns they could get. Hardly any 'African' story foreign films have Yanks or Brits that have pulled off the accent correctly. It really is the least of their worries.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by omar22(m): 12:23pm On Jul 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
Your post may be plausible because this is a Nigerian accent we're talking about, so the audience that this movie was made for may not care. The movie wasn't made for Nigerians anyways. Foreigner won't know the difference between a Nigerian, Ghanian or even South African accent, so anything that sounds strange and different from the accent they're used to as Americans and Europeans will do. The point i'm making is that if they wanted to pay attention to the accent and wanted to get it right in that regard, then using an Actor with a Nigerian heritage like Okonedo for example will mean a better interpretation of the accent. I think that's where the argument lay. I guess they used Thandie Newton cos she she has more name than any Actress of Nigerian or African/Black origin(i think so) and not because she was necessarily the best fit for the role. Don't forget that before shooting started there were worries that her skin color may not reflect the character that she portrays in the movie.

What would you say if they have used Djimon Hounsou instead of Chiwetel Ejiofor, Djimon has a stronger African accent
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 12:30pm On Jul 24, 2013
omar22:

What would you say if they have used Djimon Hounsou instead of Chiwetel Ejiofor, Djimon has a stronger African accent
Ejiofor can fake a Nigerian/Igbo accent better than Djimon. Infact, there's no such thing as an African accent.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by omar22(m): 12:55pm On Jul 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
Ejiofor can fake a Nigerian/Igbo accent better than Djimon. Infact, there's no such thing as an African accent.

Not really!!! Djimon doesnt have to fake anything, Ejiofor sounds like Leonardo DiCaprio in Blood Diamond
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 24, 2013
omar22:

Not really!!! Djimon doesnt have to fake anything, Ejiofor sounds like Leonardo DiCaprio in Blood Diamond

Naa Ejiofor's accent is perfect!
Djimon would have to fake his. Does Djimon sound Nigerian to you?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 1:03pm On Jul 24, 2013
omar22:

No. He sounded as Nigerian as they come. How can Djimon sound more Nigerian than a Nigerian(Ejiofor). Like i said, Djimon's natural accent cannot work in every African film. He will need to tweak it to suit the accent of the particular country and the last time i checked, the Nigerian and the Beninoise acCent is hardly the same.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by omar22(m): 1:05pm On Jul 24, 2013
stillwater:

Naa Ejiofor's accent is perfect!
Djimon would have to fake his. Does Djimon sound Nigerian to you?

Does Ejiofor have a Nigerian accent
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 24, 2013
omar22:

Does Ejiofor have a Nigerian accent

Ejiofor doesn't have a Nigerian accent. But he is born to Nigerian parents. So the chances of any of the actors speaking like a Nigerian is greater in Ejiofor. Many diasporan kids can switch accents anyway. Besides it's not any general, random Nigerian accent. It has to have an Igbo tinge to it. So Ejiofor wins it here. Nigerian heritage- check, Igbo- check.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by onila(f): 3:45pm On Jul 24, 2013
I liked the se.x scene tongue
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by ITbomb(m): 3:46pm On Jul 24, 2013
Why do they speak English like Ghananians ?
So bad
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 3:46pm On Jul 24, 2013
i am disappointed nkiru sylvanus was not included in the cast.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by onila(f): 3:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar: i am disappointed[b] nkiru sylvanus [/b]was not included in the cast.
undecided
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 24, 2013
when the film go reach alaba na? grin angry
keep biafran flag flying cool
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 24, 2013
onila: I liked the se.x scene tongue
Onila, you're a h0rny virgin! tongue
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by olumidazz: 4:00pm On Jul 24, 2013
Is this word TRAILER or THRILLER I have asked too many times without an answer.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Okijajuju1(m): 4:05pm On Jul 24, 2013
ThiefOfHearts:

There are plenty of us in the West and we have issues with it

She sounds like a South African.

But anything is good enough for Nigerians. You people have no standards.

For you, the last king of scotland was not a great movie because the Idi Amin was not Ugandan nor had a Ugandan accent abi?!

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
omar22:

What are you on about? How the hell would Djimon Hounsou know how to speak a better naija accent that Chiwetel? Come on now... You want to compare someone who grew up around the accent and probably the first accent he had, to someone who's from a different country with an entirely different accent? And still has at least 5% of that accent in his speech pattern? When did all Africans start having the same accent, anyway?

Topic:

Saw it yesterday on TV. I like the trailer and suspense. Defo a must see.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Sike(m): 4:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
Following
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Adamskuty(m): 4:10pm On Jul 24, 2013
ThiefOfHearts: Im aware of the story and where its set

Im saying since they felt it was OK not to cast Nigerians for the sister/actress roles, it wouldnt surprise me if they didnt even use Nigeria at all for location.

stillwater is that what the Nigerians in the UK sound like..? Maybe Im around the wrong ones tongue
who's this moronic she-boon showcasing her stupidity on a public forum?? If i may ask where are u from? Cos ur face looks scary to me grin

u look like a hippopotamus cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Okijajuju1(m): 4:10pm On Jul 24, 2013
Before we get carried away by something as trivial as accent, remember this;

The target audience for this movie is bigger than Nigeria and even africa. If possible, the directors would be gunning for an Oscar or Academy Award. I'm sure their hope is to have this movie hit number 1 in the box office.

2 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Boss13: 4:14pm On Jul 24, 2013
Nothing but WOW. I don't like nollywood movies. Though this is not nollywood, but it brings joy to see our history on the big screen and with good acting too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Emmanuel Evicted From The Big Brother House / Bolt And Maria Evicted From Big Brother Africa / Voltron Defender Of The Universe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.