Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,618 members, 7,770,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:26 PM

Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria (4017 Views)

I’m Sad! Mum Is Having An Affair Six Month’s After Dad’s Death’ / Wife Quarrels With Husband, Dumps Six-month-old Baby On Waste / Lagos State Introduce Six-month Maternity Leave, 10 Days For Fathers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by babanne(m): 4:39pm On Jul 24, 2013
My wife delivered a baby boy last month. Doctors, nurses and other well-meaning friend and colleagues advised that she should brea.st feed the baby exclusively for six months. They narrated the benefits of doing so and my wife and I welcome the idea. She is very willing to do it. My boy is a baby that loves to suck very much. He sucks up to 8 or 10 times daily. Sometimes four times in the night. So we have to wake up in the night for three or four times every day since 7 week ago. this is very stressful for my wife and me. Now if my wife is to go and resume work after the usual three months maternity leave, how will she be able to carry out the exclusive brea.st feeding?
I heard from someone that in the western world they give a leave of between 6 months to one year. So why cant Nigeria working class mothers too enjoy at least six months? If Nigerian mothers must give to their infants the best worldwide acceptable care then why cant they be given this opportunity? My conclusion is that there should be a legislation in this regard for mothers to properly take care of their newborns. What do you think?
Lets hear your opinion people.
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by EfemenaXY: 4:55pm On Jul 24, 2013
Invest in a good br.eas.t pump and get wifey to express some bottles of milk for your son the night before, or before she leaves for work. Enough to see him through till she returns.

But, it's absolutely, absolutely, important that you have constant light supply as you don't want harmful bacteria fermenting and growing in the expressed milk. If you can't guarantee constant light supply, then you'll just have to switch to formula feeds.

At six months, you should start introducing your baby to semi-solids anyway.
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by biolabee(m): 5:52pm On Jul 24, 2013
I agree with this
3 mths paid mat leave with option of extension with graduated (ideal)or no pay up till 9 months sef but the job dey
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jul 24, 2013
Six months ke! With or without pay?
Abeg give d baby food! U want to kill ur wife? Kudos to those doin exclusive! Never in my dictionary!
Upon that u will still do bedmatic!
At age 35 ur wife will be looking like 50 and then u will start eyeing that small Agnes living across ur compound!

1 Like

Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by slimyem: 6:09pm On Jul 24, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Six months ke! With or without pay?
Abeg give d baby food! U want to kill ur wife? Kudos to those doin exclusive! Never in my dictionary!
At age 35 ur wife will be looking like 50 and then u will start eyeing that small Agnes living across ur compound!
Good question!!!

Op,the three months leave is still difficult for private organisations to give and you are asking for six months?
You want these people to stop employing women altogether abi?
Lactating and working mothers find ways to adjust.Let your wife do the same. 3 months is good enough.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by mgbeketoto: 7:55pm On Jul 24, 2013
Dem they work before?
Abi so-so gossip.
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeew.

What of the fathers?
They need to stay home and change diapers! kiss
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by JallowBah(f): 8:04pm On Jul 24, 2013
In Norway, if you work 6months of your pregnancy, you can choose to stay home and get payed either 80% of your payment evwery month for 11months, or 100% normal payment every month for 8months.

We are damn lucky to have this arrangement, and I do agree; it should be available in other countries as well. At least 6 months, considering the fact that breastfeeding is highly recommended as the only food for the first 4-6 months.
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by ladygogo: 2:54am On Jul 25, 2013
Eh yah! I heard its 3mths in Naija o. I dont know how Naija mothers do it, but i know nursing mothers in the public sector can close for work by 1.00 p.m.

It's one year in Canada and its up to the organization you work for to pay full or half salary. Then we also have the Employment insurance where the government pays you a certain amount that you must have paid into while working anyway.

Even with all these its still a headache paying for daycare and dropping them for the first time.

The Lord is you people's strength o.
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:37am On Jul 25, 2013
lady gogo: Eh yah! I heard its 3mths in Naija o. I dont know how Naija mothers do it, but i know nursing mothers in the public sector can close for work by 1.00 p.m.

It's one year in Canada and its up to the organization you work for to pay full or half salary. Then we also have the Employment insurance where the government pays you a certain amount that you must have paid into while working anyway.

Even with all these its still a headache paying for daycare and dropping them for the first time.

The Lord is you people's strength o.
Its no longer 3 but 4 months since middle of last year and I think most pple r not aware.its has bn signed into the constitution after much deliberation.
if u time urself very well,u will start ur leave towards the time of ur delivery making it 5 months.
2.00pm for nursing mothers.And it depends on ur kind of work,u r allowed to come late.also offices r giving allowance to nursing mothers small to come to work with them.a common room is reserved for them.but u hv to go with a nanny or maid.u pop in and out once in a while.some banks hv started this also.

Nigeria isn't that developed and sensible to incoporate all these other benefits but so far its manageable.
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by greatgod2012(f): 5:23am On Jul 25, 2013
@op, the maternity leave in Nigeria is now 84 working days, which is almost 4 months, as for me o, at 4 months, i introduce light cereals to my kids, so, i think 4 months exclusive breasfeeding is okay, please, dont overstress madam, some kids are not even breasfed at all, due to one reason or the other, and they survived, i dont believe that kids that are exclusively breastfed are better that those that are not, so, if after 4 months, madam is resuming work, introduce light cereal to him. Some organisations have daycare inside their compound for nursing mothers, if there is one in madam's working place, let her use it, she will be going there once in a while to attend to the baby in form of breastfeeding, which means the baby will still be suckling, but not exclusively, and the night is there for him to suckle through out. So, no cause for alarm, your boy will still enjoy the bosom milk very well.
But if you still insist on exclusive breastfeeding for you baby till 6 months, then adopt Efe's method, get a very good breast pump, and make sure there is constant light, because it will have to be put in the fridge, then, when its time for the baby to feed, the milk is warmed and given to him.
May God bless your family and ours too.
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by ladygogo: 5:26am On Jul 25, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
Its no longer 3 but 4 months since middle of last year and I think most pple r not aware.its has bn signed into the constitution after much deliberation.
if u time urself very well,u will start ur leave towards the time of ur delivery making it 5 months.
2.00pm for nursing mothers.And it depends on ur kind of work,u r allowed to come late.also offices r giving allowance to nursing mothers small to come to work with them.a common room is reserved for them.but u hv to go with a nanny or maid.u pop in and out once in a while.some banks hv started this also.

Nigeria isn't that developed and sensible to incoporate all these other benefits but so far its manageable.

Oh ok. Thats better,but still una dey try o.
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by donpetros: 7:53am On Jul 25, 2013
Thank God 4 d experience mothers who comented so far,am learning new things from them
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:02am On Jul 25, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Six months ke! With or without pay?

I don't get, are you saying that exclusive breastfeeding makes women age faster? If so I will have you know that the more you breastfeed the more your womb contracts back to the way it was pre pregnancy. It was hard but I manged to do 3 months exclusive and my tummy is as flat as the wall and you will never believe I have ever seen a delivery room

If a woman cant cope with exclusive that is a different matter but the waking up at night is just for a while she will have plenty of time for her beauty sleep as the child grows older.
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by damiso(f): 8:15am On Jul 25, 2013
parisienne:

I don't get, are you saying that exclusive breastfeeding makes women age faster? If so I will have you know that the more you breastfeed the more your womb contracts back to the way it was pre pregnancy. It was hard but I manged to do 3 months exclusive and my tummy is as flat as the wall and you will never believe I have ever seen a delivery room

If a woman cant cope with exclusive that is a different matter but the waking up at night is just for a while she will have plenty of time for her beauty sleep as the child grows older.

True. As efe said going to back to work is not an excuse not to breastfeed exclusively, you can always express.I am not a breastfeeding nazi smiley but it really is good to at least try.Even if you will do combination feeding.Alot of my friends in Nigeria dont even try they say just wo I dont have time, I am going back to work in 3 months.Not saying breastfed kids are geniuses but really if we read up on the health benefits (for the mum as well)it is really worth at least trying.If you try and its not for you,cool.

As for maternity leave, its a tricky issue for businesses even here that its 1 year.Even in some developed countries eg the US its still less than 6 months so I dont think Nigeria is ready.Knowing how there are no labour laws protecting women in Naija, its for employers to just place an embargo on all women of child bearing age.
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by bellong: 10:33am On Jul 25, 2013
Not too many countries have that long maternity leave for nursing mothers. I recently conducted a personal search on that. Its not just the problem of Nigeria, its the problem of many other countries including developed. Time is money to them.

OP, know for a fact on a general level, boys suck more than girls, hence why you think your son is eating too much. I have a 7month old boy too, this boy can eat tomorrow today grin grin. I once told him jokingly, with the rate at which you are sucking, there will be nothing left for his coming siblings to suck grin grin grin.

I understand the stress on your wife doing the exclusive breastfeeding, I tell you there is nothing to be compared with that. Instead of giving up on it, why not look for ways to leverage the situation to your advantage. A breast pump has been suggested by someone. Depending on what time your boy sleeps at night, your wife can breastfeed him for longer period close to when he will sleep. This will make him sleep longer before waking to eat again. We tried and tested this and it worked for us. Again, I will encourage you to stick with the exclusive feeding. My boy today is as strong as a rock. He is only 7months, but when he drags something with you, you will think he is an adult. His bones are made of steel and never for once fell sick. when we did his circumcision, he got healed completely within a week, the doctors were surprised. The health benefits of exclusive feeding can only be experienced than explained.

For the maternity leave, I know in public sector there is nursing mother working hours. Nursing mothers close by 1pm for the next 4-6months depending on ministry and arrangements with the head of the units. I do not know about the private sector.

It is well with your family
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by babanne(m): 11:35am On Jul 25, 2013
greatgod2012: @op, the maternity leave in Nigeria is now 84 working days, which is almost 4 months, as for me o, at 4 months, i introduce light cereals to my kids, so, i think 4 months exclusive breasfeeding is okay, please, dont overstress madam, some kids are not even breasfed at all, due to one reason or the other, and they survived, i dont believe that kids that are exclusively breastfed are better that those that are not, so, if after 4 months, madam is resuming work, introduce light cereal to him. Some organisations have daycare inside their compound for nursing mothers, if there is one in madam's working place, let her use it, she will be going there once in a while to attend to the baby in form of breastfeeding, which means the baby will still be suckling, but not exclusively, and the night is there for him to suckle through out. So, no cause for alarm, your boy will still enjoy the bosom milk very well.
But if you still insist on exclusive breastfeeding for you baby till 6 months, then adopt Efe's method, get a very good breast pump, and make sure there is constant light, because it will have to be put in the fridge, then, when its time for the baby to feed, the milk is warmed and given to him.
May God bless your family and ours too.

Many thanks. I alway know there are wonderful people on Nairaland. and you are one of them.
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by babanne(m): 11:53am On Jul 25, 2013
parisienne:

If a woman cant cope with exclusive that is a different matter to but the waking up at night is just for a while she will have plenty of time for her beauty sleep as the child grows older.
Explain to them please. The exclusive thing is not associated with aging anywhere in the world. Nigerian like unscientific superstitions too much.
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by babanne(m): 11:57am On Jul 25, 2013
Efemena_xy: Invest in a good br.eas.t pump and get wifey to express some bottles of milk for your son the night before, or before she leaves for work. Enough to see him through till she returns.

But, it's absolutely, absolutely, important that you have constant light supply as you don't want harmful bacteria fermenting and growing in the expressed milk. If you can't guarantee constant light supply, then you'll just have to switch to formula feeds.

At six months, you should start introducing your baby to semi-solids anyway.
We already have a b.reast pump. But experts say the more the baby sucks the more milk the breas.t produces. So sucking is better than expressing the milk. Then there is the problem with preservation of expressed breas.t milk as you have rightly mentioned.
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by babanne(m): 12:01pm On Jul 25, 2013
JallowBah: In Norway, if you work 6months of your pregnancy, you can choose to stay home and get payed either 80% of your payment evwery month for 11months, or 100% normal payment every month for 8months.

We are damn lucky to have this arrangement, and I do agree; it should be available in other countries as well. At least 6 months, considering the fact that breastfeeding is highly recommended as the only food for the first 4-6 months.
You just confirmed what i mentioned above.If there could be legisltation here too , similar arrangement can be put in place.
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 25, 2013
parisienne:

No it doesn't age women,I was just being playful.
Re: Reasons Newly Delivered Working Mothers Should Get Six Month Leave In Nigeria by babanne(m): 4:37am On Aug 01, 2015
Kudos to all nursing and working mothers.

(1) (Reply)

My House Help Is Pregnant For My Security Guard / Is It Normal For A Man To Tell His Wife To Fear Him? / Woman Realizes That She’s Been Accidentally Abusing Her Husband This Whole Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.