Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark (24429 Views)

List Of 28 Senators With Saraki At CCT By Geopolitical Zone And Party / Top Politicians Woo Senators With $50,000 Each To Impeach Saraki - Daily Indept. / N40 Pump Fuel Price Is My Figure, Not Buhari’s, Says David-west (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by masterdre: 6:27am On Jul 25, 2013
Senate President, David Mark, has accused a senator, Ahmed Yerima, who is at the centre of the child marriage controversy, of blackmailing the Senate to reverse its initial move to delete a section of the constitution that appears to support child marriage.

The said section says a woman married shall be deemed to be of age for the purpose of renouncing citizenship. But many Nigerians fear the section sanctions girl marriage and have asked that it be removed.

Mr. Mark repeated an earlier position of the deputy senate president, Ike Ekweremadu, that the section would be revisited.

He did not, however, guarantee the contentious section, which ordinarily deals with citizenship, but appears to promote child marriage, will be deleted since it will require voting.

But he said the Senate was poised to remove the section from the law in the first place until members were blackmailed by Mr. Yerima by his claim that an alternative decision would be un-Islamic.

“Let me also talk to my own brothers and sisters who are Senators, who were probably blackmailed. That is the fact, because it is in the open that I cannot also hide it and nobody can hide it,” Mr. Mark said.

“They were simply blackmailed, and on that day, if they didn’t do what they did, nobody knows the outcome or how the consequences will be today, because the people outside can say this man, you are Muslim and didn’t vote for something that is of Islamic interest, because if we don’t hit the nail squarely on the head, we may never get it right.”

Mr. Yerima’s call compelled the Senate to repeat the vote which had already passed the required mark. The second vote was defeated, leaving the section intact.

Mr. Yerima, a former governor of Zamfara State, shot to controversy after introducing the Sharia law while he was in charge of Zamfara State. After he left office and became a senator, he took a fourth wife, a 13-year-old Egyptian girl, sparking anger and widespread criticism across the land.

Mr. Mark spoke on Wednesday while receiving a high-level team including the minister of women affairs, Zainab Maina, and the chairman of the Nigerian Human Rights Commission, Chidi Odinkalu, who protested the Senate’s failure to delete the section.

Other members of the team included wife of former Chief Justice of the federation, Maryam Uwais; former Vice President of the World Bank for Africa and former Education Minister, Obiageli Ezekwesili; former women minister, Josephine Anenih; and other top gender activists.

The group asked the Senate to revisit the section and delete it.

“The Senate must remain impervious to emotional, religious reasoning, and focus on the aggregate social good which will protect and enrich the lives of half of the nation’s population,” remarks read by Mrs. Maina said.

“We enjoin the Senate leadership to use every avenue within its rules of procedure to cause a revisit of the vote on Section 29(4) (b). The overwhelming reaction of Nigerians against the outcome of the vote on 16 July, 2013 is a clear and unequivocal indication that women, and indeed diverse and significant constituencies of Nigerians, have concerns for the specific and general implications of the decision of the Senate to retain Section 29(4) (b).”

Mr. Mark said Senators were not “pedophiles” and would reconsider the contentious section.

“We wanted to remove it but it failed, we were a total of 101 Senators, 85 voted and I think about six or so abstained. There was hardly any dissenting votes but once it got mixed up with so many other issues, it didn’t get the required 73 votes anymore.

“So, first of all, I think the castigation outside is done out of misunderstanding but because a religious connotation was brought into it, which is a very sensitive issue and you must agree with me that in this country, we try as must as possible not to bring issues that involves faith to the floor of the Senate and indeed the chamber, we keep religion completely out of it because what is good for a Christian is also good for a Muslim.

“The good of the country is for everybody and not for a particular religious sect. I think the bottom line is, when people get more educated, then we can do a re-think and probably, if the Senate agrees, go back and see whether we can get the required number once more, because that is the solution.”

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/141612-yerima-blackmailed-senators-with-islam-claim-david-mark.html
Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by slap1(m): 6:36am On Jul 25, 2013
Yerima blackmailed how many of them? Is blackmail not a crime in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by mrking3(m): 6:50am On Jul 25, 2013
Sharap your mouth there David!!! How could you morons allow Stupid Religious sentiment to Becloud your sense of Reasoning in a secular country like Nigeria? You all A̶̲̥̅̊я̲̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥ fools!!! Big Fools!!! This is what we get from you stupid lawmakers as †ђξ highest paid globally?

16 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 25, 2013
Perverts!
Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by Nobody: 10:07am On Jul 25, 2013
Oga Mr. King- it is secular not circular.

8 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by venorite(m): 10:08am On Jul 25, 2013
Yerima, yerima....ur doom is near

3 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by Mayany(m): 10:09am On Jul 25, 2013
YERIMA dont come close to my neices and under age sisters am warning you cos u mught just be castrated "shameless senator"

4 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by toprealman: 10:09am On Jul 25, 2013
Yerima and co are PEDO-PHILES.David Mark and co are confused thieves. Nigeria under GEJ's administration is a big joke.

9 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 25, 2013
The Senate president has still not addressed the issue closest to my heart.

Section 21 of the Child Rights Act of 2003, a federal law, states unequivocally that a child below the age of 18 shall be deemed a minor and not eligible to marry. The law goes on to stipulate imprisonment for those who break this law.

How come Sani Yerima is still a free man?

47 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 25, 2013
mr_king: Sharap your mouth there David!!! How could you morons allow Stupid Religious sentiment to Becloud your sense of Reasoning in a circular secular country like Nigeria? You all A̶̲̥̅̊я̲̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥ fools!!! Big Fools!!! This is what we get from you stupid lawmakers as †ђξ highest paid globally?
. Fixed cool

2 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by Areaboy2(m): 10:14am On Jul 25, 2013
mr_king: Sharap your mouth there David!!! How could you morons allow Stupid Religious sentiment to Becloud your sense of Reasoning in a circular country like Nigeria? You all A̶̲̥̅̊я̲̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥ fools!!! Big Fools!!! This is what we get from you stupid lawmakers as †ђξ highest paid globally?

Is Nigeria really Secular? really? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by point5: 10:14am On Jul 25, 2013
tpacalipse: Perverts!
,imagin silly excus..mtcheeeew cows,
Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by ashile(m): 10:16am On Jul 25, 2013
You use d word blackmail

Is blackmail no longer a crime.

Also are u sure u guys have the interest of d majority or d nation at heart.

I doubt

All I can say its well

1 Like

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by Stanvick1(m): 10:17am On Jul 25, 2013
Enough of dis child marriage brouhaha...let every man's conscience judge him....i rest my case
Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by Fazhy: 10:18am On Jul 25, 2013
Hmmm. Politics and Religion. Hmmmmm.

2 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by point5: 10:19am On Jul 25, 2013
Very Disappoint,,our senators r cows of 21st century..

3 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by Nobody: 10:19am On Jul 25, 2013
Nigeria is a secular nation. No christian no muslim. Mark goofed but the situation can be remedied and should be.

1 Like

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by 1shortblackboy: 10:19am On Jul 25, 2013
islam again this morning
Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by freecocoa(f): 10:20am On Jul 25, 2013
So laws are now being made in this country based on religious grounds?

Ok na, oya pagans, christians and the other religions practiced in this country should stand up and fight for their rights cos I'm sure they'll want some laws amended to suit their religion.

Like how daft are these men in power?

5 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by henchamb(m): 10:20am On Jul 25, 2013
Circular? No nigeria is a sickler state because our leaders behave like they are products of ss

2 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by ossaisly(m): 10:21am On Jul 25, 2013
David Mark has always been mature, i think he is going to extend the maturity he has to this issue on ground. And as for that slowpoke called Yerima, this tenure will be the last of him.

This is a juvenile is disguise embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by freecocoa(f): 10:22am On Jul 25, 2013
HNosegbe: The Senate president has still not addressed the issue closest to my heart.

Section 21 of the Child Rights Act of 2003, a federal law, states unequivocally that a child below the age of 18 shall be deemed a minor and not eligible to marry. The law goes on to stipulate imprisonment for those who break this law.

How come Sani Yerima is still a free man?
The said girl isn't Nigerian, I'm not sure that part of the law applies to her.

1 Like

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by Sunnycliff(m): 10:23am On Jul 25, 2013
Not an excuse sirr

1 Like

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by Capnd143(m): 10:24am On Jul 25, 2013
Why has that Yerima of a peodophile not been put behind bars.

5 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by Chibuike347: 10:25am On Jul 25, 2013
Jonky senators wey dey insensitive 2 pple's plight shameless senators voted against local govt autonomy, nd supported child mariage nd dey are hia saying blackmail damn all dis jonky senators
Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by olumidazz: 10:25am On Jul 25, 2013
I thought you idiots said no cause for alarm that the section bothered on citizenship, so why the accusation of the blackmail for child marriage again.

2 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by ajayi147(m): 10:26am On Jul 25, 2013
Cow

1 Like

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by superior1: 10:27am On Jul 25, 2013
Thou are inexcusable, Oh Mark!!

1 Like

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by bowtie(m): 10:29am On Jul 25, 2013
It is better u abide by d word of God.u called mark u ar not up to were u ar.is it d yerima dat put d section dat talks abt d child marriage dere.prostitution as takin all over d world,d best way 2 cub it,u refuse 2 listin 2 it.every 1 of u w see d consequence.u dis group gerontocrate.

2 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by acnwanaka: 10:30am On Jul 25, 2013
How can one senator blackmail over 30 senators that voted in favor of retaining the said clause. This point to the fact that we have clueless senators. Why will David Mark allow for revoting. Seems they afraid of this retardeen called Yerima embarassed embarassed embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 25, 2013
freecocoa: The said girl isn't Nigerian, I'm not sure that part of the law applies to her.

The OFFENDER is a Nigerian.

7 Likes

Re: Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark by Btruth: 10:34am On Jul 25, 2013
Congregation of morons.

cry

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bianca’s Siblings Attack Ojukwu’s Sons Over Senatorial Ambition / APC To Hold One-Million-Man March This Saturday / Ogudu Residents Reject Commissioning Of Partially Rehabilitated Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.