Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,119 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Choice Of Engine Oil ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Choice Of Engine Oil ? (18174 Views)

What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? / Effect Of Engine Change From 1.8litre To 2.0litre / Shortage Of Engine Oil In EOD. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choice Of Engine Oil ? by ahf(m): 8:37pm On May 26, 2008
Hi,

Does anyone know the best engine oil grade to use for a 1999 Toyota Camry?

Engine oil cap reads 5W-30, been an American specs, that might be the best for their climate and not necessarily ours.

Thanks
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by solakotan(m): 8:53pm On May 26, 2008
na true oh - wat about honda accord 2000 model,
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by icemann(m): 2:51pm On May 27, 2008
I taught change of oil has to do with viscosity and mileage

if i they travel lagos abuja thats is over 600km every 2 weeks i will have to change oil in 18months(over 36 trips)
bros try dey explain well make we understand
There is something called API rating of oils(SA to SM)
SM is best morden cars(from 2000 i think, not sure of the exact year) while SL ( next in line) is best for others bellow 2000, there is also SJ which soon will be out date( in most countries) like the rest (SA to SG)

I dont know the mileage b4 a change 4 an SM oil ( THE MOBIL 1) but for SJ i use(Mobil XHP), i let it run for 5000miles or 8000km depending on ur dash board readings
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by nkc(m): 3:18pm On May 27, 2008
my brother there's nothing like climate when engine oil is concerned, use what exactly what your car says, any other thing outside that might introduce sludge or damage your engine, pls use what the car says, don't outsmart the engineer's. Most high quality oil like mobil 1 depending on they type says you can go upto 15k miles, but from research on various forums, i've found that people on the average go up to 5k miles while some near average go 7.5k miles, it all depends on you, i for one no matter how i flog a car, be it from abj to lag 5times as far as it has not gotten to 5k or 7.5k or even 15k(if my balls agree) will not change oil, that's why ivvie says you should look for a high capacity oil filter.from other forums , i've found out people who have driven horrendous distances, that still falls within range of 5k to 10k, they went for an oil test,(i don't know if we have one in this our Rich country) and they were told from the oil report that the oil is still good to go, so actually i dare say that most times we change oil, we may just be wasting money, as the oil we are removing is still in an okay condition.

1 Like

Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by sultaan(m): 3:27pm On May 27, 2008
Always refer to your manufacturer spec, otherwise 3 months/3000 mils for conventional motor oils. No  conventional motor oil should be in a car for more than six months.some mobile 1 oils are rated for 15,000 miles(not pure conventional,) so you need to know if your oil meets manufacturer spec, at its protection limits
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by icemann(m): 5:28pm On May 27, 2008
i heard mobil get 1 stuff like detergent way they make engine. clean please can any body confirm
@nkc
Do u know how much it cost to do a test on ur oil
a friend of mines  project was to compare some types of oil with castrol oil
he had to test castro oil and other oils  for thier viscosity at different temps at the end (didnt know all the details)
mobil came tops(XHP), total (5000Quartz) second cant remember the rest but castrol seed oil was top at a paticular range of temp and dropped radically when the temp got higher and that was its faults.
sorry 4 the small digression
the cost of that project was an arm, a leg, and one of his balls.
so y go 4 a test when an oil change is not more than 3k(Mobil XHP is like 2800 and total is 2400)
like sultan said follow the manual and ur engine go respond to all the FLOGGING
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by nkc(m): 6:06pm On May 27, 2008
ice
Like i pointed out, it's not done in naija to the best of my knowledge.

Ivvie
Bro, how you dey, so many car's pls dash me one. Lol. Now to your remark, pls go to mobil site check mobil 1(all types) one or two of them support 15k miles. Thanks
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by icemann(m): 6:20pm On May 27, 2008
bros u be Mechanic ?
4 there na auto techician but me know am as mechanic
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by sultaan(m): 6:21pm On May 27, 2008
Ivvie, long time
I believe this site says 15,000 miles
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

Here is a sample manual for a mitsubishi with ol spec and interval
http://www.pajero4x4.ru/piii-pdf/GR00002800-00.pdf
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by sultaan(m): 6:41pm On May 27, 2008
ahf:

Hi,

Does anyone know the best engine oil grade to use for a 1999 Toyota Camry?

Engine oil cap reads 5W-30, been an American specs, that might be the best for their climate and not necessarily ours.

Thanks

This site has everything you need to know about engine oils
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

2 Likes

Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by icemann(m): 6:48pm On May 27, 2008
BROS my APPOLOGIES
i taught u were like siena (not yabing him)
cause u know much on cars. thats good we all learn from each other
GOOD so whats the type of alloy auto makers use on thier chasis
i know iron and aluminium alloys. know any other?
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by babatosan: 8:29pm On May 27, 2008
@ivvie
love your comments
where does one get the high performance filters you talked about
do you recommend the mobil 1 oil for a 2000 nissan maxima
i currently use total quartz 5000
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by babatosan: 6:06am On May 28, 2008
@ivvie
i live in benin city
u think it will be easy to get
the filter i mean?
what about the torquing
who will do that
i will check online too as u advised
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by kuntash: 7:06am On May 28, 2008
Ivvie, Sienna, you guys are the bomb on nairaland auto section. una do well. when you look this thread so far , u wont see any comment from the marketers , whence discussions as this is actually what this section is meant for-- so we can learn , and not 90% car sale! car sale!! Thumb up 4 u Ivvie.
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by icemann(m): 4:49pm On May 28, 2008
@babatosan
(sorry no be me get the question. just wanted 2 help)
check any mobil dealer(fuel station) u may get it there.its like(7k)

@Ivvie
We in nigeria dont have what u people there call hobby. we spend our time chasing money, gosipping and drinking.
Also people are not ready to learn if money is not involved

U said somethig About young modulus and poission ratio, i was taught that in school(cant remeber much on it ) can u explain more. i know its about rate of elongation of a metal at different force(KN). i also remember plastic limits and elastic limits also yeild point. can u explain more on these topics thanks
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by Ivvie: 11:03pm On May 28, 2008
`
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by icemann(m): 9:43am On May 30, 2008
ivvie thanks a lot. with people like u arround, this section would get more interesting
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by Ivvie: 7:12pm On May 30, 2008
`
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by anneki(m): 11:28am On Jan 18, 2013
Hello All,

The 5w-20 and 5w-30 engines oils which are classified as energy conserving oils are actually the oils that are recommended / best suited in the following 2000 - 2013 models:-

Acura : RL, TL, TSX, RDX, ZDX, ILX, MDX.
Chevrolet : Cruze, Equinox, Malibu.
Ford : Fiesta, Fusion, Taurus, Ranger, Escape, Edge, Explorer.
Honda : Accord, Crosstour, Civic, CRV, Pilot, Ridgeline, Element, Odyssey.
Hyundai: Accent, Elantra, Sonata, Tuscon / IX35, Santa Fe, Vera Cruz.
Kia: Rio, Optima, Soul, Sportage, Sorento.
Land Rover : LR2, LR3, LR4, Range Rover, Range Rover Sport.
Lexus: IS, LS, ES, GX, RX, GS, LX.
Mazda: 3, 5, 6, CX7, CX9, Protege, Tribute, Miata, MPV.
Nissan: Altima, Maxima, Murano, Pathfinder, Titan, Xterra, Pathfinder.
Toyota : Yaris, Corolla, Matrix, Prius, Avensis, Camry, Avalon, Venza, RAV4, Highlander, 4Runner, Landcruiser, Sequoia, Sienna, Tacoma, Tundra.

Because the API ratings ( SJ , SL , SM etc ) have changed over the years you will find that 5w20, 5w30, 15w40, and 20w50 now provide the same protection in countries where the ambient temperature is between 90 and 100 regularly.

These oils are available @

, www.jumia.com, & www.webmallng.com

and also at

Solutions Plus - 07067009400, 07081609482, & 09096851969

I hope you find this useful
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by ucheikekpeazu: 10:57am On Jun 03, 2013
Importance of oil

Why is your oil so important?
As the heart of any vehicle, the engine requires the right lubrication and protection to keep it running smoothly and efficiently. Mobil™ oil products are designed to provide superior engine protection, keeping your engine running like new even under the most demanding conditions.

On the highway
Cruising: In ideal driving conditions, the oil will be at the ideal temperature so fuel and water will not accumulate.

High speed: Fast acceleration and running at high speed can raise oil temperature and reduce oil viscosity, exposing the engine to greater wear. Oils designed to operate under higher temperatures can keep the engine protected, prolonging engine life and maintaining efficiency.

In the city
Frequent starts and stops: Oil may not sufficiently warm up, and may accumulate water and fuel due to prolonged idling, causing corrosion and sludge.

Heavy traffic: Encountering a traffic jam after driving at high speed for a period of time can cause thermal stress on the engine, making it run hotter.

Environment
Cold weather: Oil thickens at low temperatures, reducing pumping efficiency and takes longer to reach critical engine parts to provide lubrication and protection.

Hot weather: High temperature environments can make it more difficult to keep the engine cool. Engine oils not designed to perform under high temperatures may suffer a reduced ability to protect the engine’s moving parts.

Wet environments: Driving in humid environments can cause moisture accumulation and acid formation in the oil, which then corrodes metal parts and shortens the oil life.

Dust and sand: Dust and sand present a serious problem for engines and may contaminate the oil, greatly increasing the wear on moving parts.

Engine technology
Direct injection diesel engines: Soot particles may remain in the oil and combine into a block, causing accelerated wear of metal parts.

Turbocharger: Using low-quality oil can result in the formation of carbon deposits on the turbocharger, a common cause of turbocharger failure.

Fuel quality: Low-quality components in fuel can contaminate and degrade engine oil, leading to oil pollution and the formation of sludge.

Overused oil: Many vehicle owners extend the oil change maintenance cycle past the manufacturer’s recommendation. Higher quality oil can maintain effective lubrication for a longer period of time, keeping the engine running smoothly.

Harsh operation
Overloading: Carrying heavy loads puts greater stress on the engine, requiring a higher level of lubricating oil to provide protection.

Racing: Fast acceleration and running at very high speed puts the engine under extreme stress. High-quality oil designed to perform under these conditions is required to keep the engine protected and running smoothly.
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by Intoxyka(f): 9:51am On Aug 06, 2014
Hello guys,

This has been very insightful. But please, if you were to recommend a particular engine oil for any car which will it be and why?
Also which is the worst type of engine oil to use?

Please let us mention names of brands o.... make our cars no go kpafuka!

Thanks
Re: Choice Of Engine Oil ? by Kingsteve(m): 11:21am On Aug 06, 2014
This is my go-to oil... Total QUARTZ 9000 100% synthetic oil.
I use it for my infiniti M35 V6 engine.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Volkswagen Set To Retire The Beetles Model In 2019 / Innoson Motors To Manufacture Nigerian Army Vehicles / Tinting Car Windows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.