Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:06 AM

Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists (18327 Views)

Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! / Motorists Watch Out For Parking Tickets In Abuja! / Rainy Season: My Do’s And Don’ts For Motorists And Passengers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by Codedboy95(m): 5:26pm On Jul 29, 2013
We yaf a 4kanizer opposite our house.. And he doesnt collect money frm us smiley
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by golamike: 5:35pm On Jul 29, 2013
Thanks @ op. I have had nasty experiences with these our fake vulcanizers. I remember, just abt a month ago, I felt one of my tyres was over-inflated due to the pressure I felt while driving. I took it to a road side vulcaniser to guage it and I was surprised that d guy told me it was reading 30! He even showed me and I saw it myself. My friend who was with me insisted I shouldn't add aiR as he was very sure d vulcanizer was up to something. I harkened to his advice and decided to try a vulcaniser that had a meter guage (reads d air value on a meter). I was shocked when d guy told me it read 50, meaning it was actually over-inflated. He had to deflate d tyre to 40 and I immediately felt the balance as I drove away. I jst thanked dat my friend afterward cos of his advice. That yeye vulcanizer would have added air to an already over-inflated tyre, u can imagine what could have happened thereafter. Please guys try and guage ur tyres with d meter guage only. It pays off. I think most gas stations have the guage.
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by golamike: 5:35pm On Jul 29, 2013
Thanks @ op. I have had nasty experiences with these our fake vulcanizers. I remember, just abt a month ago, I felt one of my tyres was over-inflated due to the pressure I felt while driving. I took it to a road side vulcaniser to guage it and I was surprised that d guy told me it was reading 30! He even showed me and I saw it myself. My friend who was with me insisted I shouldn't add aiR as he was very sure d vulcanizer was up to something. I harkened to his advice and decided to try a vulcaniser that had a meter guage (reads d air value on a meter). I was shocked when d guy told me it read 50, meaning it was actually over-inflated. He had to deflate d tyre to 40 and I immediately felt the balance as I drove away. I jst thanked dat my friend afterward cos of his advice. That yeye vulcanizer would have added air to an already over-inflated tyre, u can imagine what would have happened thereafter. Please guys try and guage ur tyres with d meter guage only. It pays off. I think most gas stations have the guage.
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by Itydee(m): 5:50pm On Jul 29, 2013
I got my wheel bolts stolen by a vulcanizer once during fixing a leak . It cost me N1500 to get a single one of them for replacement. He threw them intovthe gutter and pretended to look for them and couldnt find then. He said he was sorry. A day latter. After Ireplced the bolts, my friend with a similar car removed 3 of his bolts and went there to ask if the vulcanizer has belgium bolts to sell. Pronto my bolts came out and was sold to the guy at N600 each. I went back and accosted tne thief but he denied that they were my bolt. Even when all evidences in similarity and numbers were shown to the guy he still denied them being mine. I got perplexed and left with his 2 jacks. He never axked for them till date. These guys are wonderful chaps honestly. The worst thing is to leave your car with them.
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by NET1(m): 5:51pm On Jul 29, 2013
Nice thread.

thanks for the information.

.NET
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by horlabiyi(m): 6:09pm On Jul 29, 2013
Thanks so much
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by immortalcrown(m): 6:09pm On Jul 29, 2013
In every multitude, there must be jews and gentiles. However, it is a cunning man that buries his fellow.
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by Originalsly: 6:18pm On Jul 29, 2013
I don't blame the vulcanizer. Why can't you buy a pressure gauge and check the tyre pressure yourself? And about tyre pressure being 40psi...you need to look on the tyre on your car to know the required pressure.

1 Like

Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by onyxo76(m): 6:21pm On Jul 29, 2013
this is why i bought the electric pump you can connect to the cigarette lighter point in your car.i do the pumping myself to the recommended tyre pressure .
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by ladywise: 6:31pm On Jul 29, 2013
I use d electric pump.dnt visit d vulcaniser.I also supply electric car pump,electric car jack
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by dhariey: 7:14pm On Jul 29, 2013
SLIDE waxie: if u are embarking on a long joruney, u can carry him along and carry his pumping machine put for inside trunk!

undecided
Lolz...nasso
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by Temptee101(m): 7:46pm On Jul 29, 2013
jude33084:

NOT TRUE BRO, I HAVE VISITED A VULCANIZER ONCE THINKING MY TIRES WERE NOT PROPERLY GAUGED BUT HE CHECK IT AND TOLD ME THEY WERE OK wink

I JUST USED MY MIND GIVE AM SMALL SOMETHING SHA grin
. . .and that warrants u quoting d whole post. Idiat!

1 Like

Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by specco(m): 7:58pm On Jul 29, 2013
ladywise: I use d electric pump.dnt visit d vulcaniser.I also supply electric car pump,electric car jack

Can you supply the price of the electric pump and if possible the pics
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by y2kaustin(m): 8:02pm On Jul 29, 2013
Flatmate Needed For A Mini Flat,at Egbeda Alimosho,lagos
Hello Friends,am about to renew the rent of my apartment,i would have conveniently do that.i just finish settling a huge debt,and i don't want to miss these apartment,cos it decent and we always have power.I have half of the money and just looking for a decent and working class person to add the remaining half.am a christian,from akwa ibom state,am currently working for a logistic firm in Apapa-Lagos.

Interested person,swiftly call me up on 08134340380(Austin).
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by Chinom(m): 8:03pm On Jul 29, 2013
I don't know in which city you live in, but in Lagos it's N100 to inflate a tyre. If the Vulca notices you are an Akata JJC, he will collect N200.

I always insist on watching the guage while he checks it. The biggest Mugus are those guys that remain seated in their car while the Vulca checks their tyres.
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jul 29, 2013
So true.
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by Chibest2000(m): 9:00pm On Jul 29, 2013
JideTheBlogger: N800 per month shouldn't be a big deal for a car owner na
Yes agreed bro car is nt made 4 small pikins if u must hv a car den u must b equal 2its maintenance cost grin
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by bobthebuilder99(m): 9:41pm On Jul 29, 2013
Come on!

Just give the vulcanizer his N200! Who cares?
If you own a car, that should not be a problem for you.

DO make sure that you get the right tire pressure though. Newer cars will tell you the tire pressure without having to look, and they will even alert you when the tire pressure is too high, or too low.
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by beneezy(m): 9:42pm On Jul 29, 2013
From mechanics to vulcanizers tend to drain money from car owners here and there. However, with the advent of technology u can actually know when sumtin needs checking or fixing in ur car.
As for tyre pressure, in most modern vehicles with pressure sensor, it will actually light up the low pressure signal light on the cluster then u will know whether to go gauge ur vehicle tyre or not.

1 Like

Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by fapcrook(m): 9:56pm On Jul 29, 2013
But the write up on a poor vulcanizer is too much. Anyway its still 70 naira i pump my jallopy
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by delpee(f): 12:40am On Jul 30, 2013
Please how much does a guage and electric pump cost and where can one get a good brand to buy?

@op
Thanks
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by InvertedHammer: 5:49am On Jul 30, 2013
//

I don't get it.

You stop over at a vulcanizer's makeshift shop and wakes him up.

He comes and checks the pressure of your tires. Right?

So do you expect him to tell you "no wahala" for these hard times?

Knowing some of you and awoof, even if he tells you the truth, you will not tip the guy.

So he has his hustle on. Come to think of it, N200 is just for a "plate of rice without".

Cut the guy some slack abeg.

1 Like

Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 30, 2013
lastpage: I will encourage most Nigerians to have their own PERSONAL PRESSURE GAUGE!
That way, you dont need the 'Oga Vulggar" to tell you whether you need air or not; and its about you and your family's safety, ......not just about money!
If pressure is less than 35psi (when you want to use the car first time that day, whether day or night), YOU NEED AIR!
Otherwise you dont.

Better still, if you can afford one of those "electric pumps".
I have an inflatable bed (air bed) for guests, tha came with an electric pump and gauge!
"Oga Vulggar" don suffer for my hand since then! grin grin

But the day wey my tyre carry "isho" (nail/bolt), na dat day l know say kontiri hard, no paddy for jungle!
Oga Vulggar hammer me no be small! shocked shocked shocked

Lastpage!

Very wrong assertion sir! The recommended cold tire pressure is 30psi for most sedans but i have watched a lot of individuals and vulcanizers inflate the tires without considering the tire's max pressure.

Having said that, i personally use 35psi on all tires based on my personal driving demands.
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by GeorgeD1(m): 3:15pm On Jul 31, 2013
i agree with lastpage. better get your own personal tire pressure gauge and check your tyres yourself periodically.

sometimes its not that the vulcanizer intentionally want to cheat but if they're using an inferior gauge, your
tyre pressure will definitely not be correct.

i used to fall victim to these inferior, low grade tire pressure gauges from vulcanizers until i decided to get a
better one for myself. luckily the one i got is a digital one from amazon. it cost a bunch though but at the
end of the day i have peace of mind now that guesswork has been totally eliminated from such a critical safety
element.

Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by earthrealm(m): 3:39pm On Jul 31, 2013
get the digital tyre inflator, it can check ur tyre pressure and also inflates the tyre.
simply plug into ur cigar lighter in the car and you are good to go..
been using it for yrs............don't patronize vulcanizers at all all....they all hate that my device smiley

Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by joinnow: 4:53pm On Jul 31, 2013
I bought the below mention. from Amazon amount $11.87 which is equal to N1,900.One thousand nine hundred naira only.
Accutire MS-4441GB Talking Digital Tire Pressure Gauge, English and Spanish

Also note that almost all car manual state you should get your own tire pressure guage............
But beacuse most of us don't even sit down and read our car manual to see must have in your car.
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by jpphilips(m): 8:51pm On Jul 31, 2013
informa: Even if you don't have a car, you plan to buy one someday now...*winks. So, do read and learn!

It seems that the unwritten rule among vulcanizers is that any car driven into their workshop or makeshift tent must have its tyres inflated, no matter the level of pressure in the tyres! In this way, the owner of the vehicle is made to cough out some money.

The experiences of many motorists in show that most vulcanizers give different readings of tyre pressure.

For example, after the first vulcanizer has said that your tyre is over- inflated, another one reads it as under-inflated. Then a third vulcanizer will commend your decision to check the tyre pressure as any further delay could have been suicidal.

“What some of these guys do is that they don’t even read the pressure at all. They fix the gauge and, in a twinkle of an eye, they shout, ‘No air.’

“The truth is that the pressure may be okay. But, they feel that admitting it may deny them the opportunity to make extra money. So they will tell you that there is no air.

“They pretend to inflate the pressure and turn around to reduce it and collect money from you,” Mr. Okoli Udeh, who operates a commercial vehicle in the city, says.

Experts have warned motorists not to inflate their tyres beyond 40psi or 280kpa. As if to buttress this, the report posted on tyresafe.org says, “Don’t inflate your tyres above 40 psi or 280 kpa. By keeping them at their optimum pressure, your running costs are also reduced. Under-inflated tyres require a bigger force to make them turn, so your car uses more fuel. Additionally, tyres that are not set to their correct pressure wear out more quickly.”

Beyond safety, some motorists cut fuel costs by maintaining accurate tyre pressures.

The Federal Road Safety Commission recommends a complete tyre change after two years, but the life span becomes shorter with inappropriate tyre pressure.

Most vulcanisers in Abuja are accused of using faulty or low-grade gauges to read tyre pressures. Some of them deliberately empty the air in the tyre, even when they know that the reading is accurate, only to inflate it again. The owner of the vehicle is promptly billed!

“The faulty gauges they use can only fetch one result: wrong reading. That is why vulcanisers keep telling you different stories.

“It looks like a deliberate ploy to get money out of motorists at any cost,” another resident, Musa Liman, argues.

Investigation shows that many of the vulcanisers lack the basic knowledge of some factors that may account for changes in tyre pressure.

For instance, experts say that the best time to read tyre pressure is in the morning or before the vehicle is used. This is because tyre pressure tends to increase on its own in hot weather or after gliding on hot surfaces for a long time.

But, many vulcanisers lack this basic knowledge. Thus, by lying that your tyre is under-inflated, though it already contains too much air, they endanger your life.

Stressing this point further, Tyresafe.org notes, “Recommended tyre inflation pressures are always for cold tyres, which means you should check the tyres in the morning before the vehicle has been driven.

“Driving heats up the tyres and causes the air inside to expand. If you check the tyres right after driving, therefore, the readings will be at least several pounds higher than normal.

“Hot weather raises air pressure inside the tyres, while cold weather lowers it. So air may have to be added or vented from the tyres to compensate for seasonal variations as well.”

A vulcaniser named Sulieman Salihu blames the gauge used by most of his colleagues to read pressure for the problem.

He notes that when a gauge reads incorrectly, a vulcaniser either adds air or reduces it.

Salihu says, “There are times when it is obvious to everyone that a tyre needs air; you don’t necessarily have to read it because it is obvious. The tyre is without air, you can even feel it with your hands. The driver himself drove the car to your shop after detecting that the air is low. What do you do? I believe that it is not everybody that wants to cheat.”

To inflate a single tyre costs N50 in the city; an average of N200 for four tyres, if you have to inflate all.

The driver spends about the same amount again if the next vulcaniser comes up with a different pressure reading – a hole in the pocket for some people, considering that pressure checks are recommended every week.

As originally written by John Ameh, Abuja.

http://www.tutubranch.com/2013/07/vulcanizer-motorists-deceit-tricks.html

cough out like its some big cash for God's sake their service is just 50bucks, u no wan make dey chop?

better still go get yourself an electric pump and stop whinning.
Re: Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists by jpphilips(m): 9:11pm On Jul 31, 2013
ladywise: I use d electric pump.dnt visit d vulcaniser.I also supply electric car pump,electric car jack

i will love to buy electric car jack

(1) (2) (Reply)

Car Coolant / Save Your Salary For A Year, What Car Can You Afford ? / Engine Manufacturing To Begin Soon - Innoson Motors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.