Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,204 members, 7,815,192 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! (11534 Views)

Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists / Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? / Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by azpekuliar: 10:09am On May 23, 2012
This has for long puzzled me. Why do motorists in Lagos drive around with their head lamps on. And I mean regular motorists, not a VIP convoy. I can understand if its done on a hazy day, rainy day but in clear day light and with perfect driving conditions . Or could it be an attempt to show off their vehicles, because a vast majority of the vehicles range form mid-budget to top of the range vehicles, but evn then very few of them have Xenon High Intensity Discharge Head Lamps which I saw on a Ducati this morning and was awed. Even jalopies on Lagos roads are part of this trend. Should this one be added to the list of the motoring cultures peculiar to us as Lagosians/Nigerians or this also obtains abroad?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 23, 2012
Lol
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by gulfer: 12:51pm On May 23, 2012
azpekuliar: This has for long puzzled me. Why do motorists in Lagos drive around with their head lamps on. And I mean regular motorists, not a VIP convoy. I can understand if its done on a hazy day, rainy day but in clear day light and with perfect driving conditions . Or could it be an attempt to show off their vehicles, because a vast majority of the vehicles range form mid-budget to top of the range vehicles, but evn then very few of them have Xenon High Intensity Discharge Head Lamps which I saw on a Ducati this morning and was awed. Even jalopies on Lagos roads are part of this trend. TShould this one be added to the list of the motoring cultures peculiar to us as Lagosians/Nigerians or this also obtains abroad?
Most of the vehicles with automatic daytime headlamps are for some areas in the United states and Canada, Its not showoff perse but a modification which most fail to reverse when they ship these cars to Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by cinzo: 1:39pm On May 23, 2012
It is not show off. The cars are mostly North American origin equipped with Day Running Lights. A friend called a rewire to de activate his for him and ended up with a car that discharges its battery once its parked.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by slodot2000: 2:37pm On May 23, 2012
lol... pls go and kick some knowledge about America spec cars. its normal dude

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by obinna222: 3:30pm On May 23, 2012
Bros,

Those lights are not for fancy, they are part of the safety features that cars must have.

For instance, in the United Kingdom, it has become a mandatory safety feature for all cars.

i suggest you do more research to understand further.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by inspiredm(m): 3:49pm On May 23, 2012
It is Called DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT, It Automatically Comes On When You Start the vehicle, Its Dimmer and has a Lower Intensity than the Usual Head Lights.

In Some Vehicles You Can turn it Off and in Some it remains Permanently ON.

It is Mandatory for all Canadian and Some American Spec Vehicles to have it on for Safety Purposes.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by azpekuliar: 12:33pm On May 25, 2012
Thanks fellas. I really do appreciate all the responses. I'm certainly more informed now. Thanks ya'll.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 25, 2012
Yet still some guys turn on so they will join the group of persons with cars equipped with day time running light. You see such folks with brake lights on as well, meaning the headlights were turned on, on purpose. Cause with cars equipped with day time running light you dont see the brake lights go on when the car engine is running.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by azpekuliar: 3:34pm On May 25, 2012
MrMexs007: Yet still some guys turn on so they will join the group of persons with cars equipped with day time running light. You see such folks with brake lights on as well, meaning the headlights were turned on, on purpose. Cause with cars equipped with day time running light you dont see the brake lights go on when the car engine is running.

Good observation.
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by ismhab(m): 6:16pm On May 25, 2012
BECAUSE THEY ARE VILLAGERS.
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by sharpman1(m): 6:17pm On May 25, 2012
azpekuliar: This has for long puzzled me. Why do motorists in Lagos drive around with their head lamps on. And I mean regular motorists, not a VIP convoy. I can understand if its done on a hazy day, rainy day but in clear day light and with perfect driving conditions . Or could it be an attempt to show off their vehicles, because a vast majority of the vehicles range form mid-budget to top of the range vehicles, but evn then very few of them have Xenon High Intensity Discharge Head Lamps which I saw on a Ducati this morning and was awed. Even jalopies on Lagos roads are part of this trend. Should this one be added to the list of the motoring cultures peculiar to us as Lagosians/Nigerians or this also obtains abroad?

lol!!!
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by adeywhales: 6:32pm On May 25, 2012
Bros. It is called american spec.
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by richy5(m): 6:33pm On May 25, 2012
Got a lot to do, Will come back fr your thread later
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Nasri100(m): 6:37pm On May 25, 2012
FFs not ur fucking biz......A white man would do that to his bentley and nobody will give a Bleep..Jeez Nairaland
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Nobody: 6:39pm On May 25, 2012
Ignorance is "bliss" they say, guess you've never heard of DRLs
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 25, 2012
azpekuliar: This has for long puzzled me. Why do motorists in Lagos drive around with their head lamps on. And I mean regular motorists, not a VIP convoy. I can understand if its done on a hazy day, rainy day but in clear day light and with perfect driving conditions . Or could it be an attempt to show off their vehicles, because a vast majority of the vehicles range form mid-budget to top of the range vehicles, but evn then very few of them have Xenon High Intensity Discharge Head Lamps which I saw on a Ducati this morning and was awed. Even jalopies on Lagos roads are part of this trend. Should this one be added to the list of the motoring cultures peculiar to us as Lagosians/Nigerians or this also obtains abroad?

na american specs!
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by 9zeros(m): 6:49pm On May 25, 2012
in lagos, everytin needs to 'shine eye'....includin cars!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by SpiritofOkija(m): 6:51pm On May 25, 2012
I dont see the big deal.. Its not like it causes any accidents... Infact it is even advisable sef.. Afterall FRSC no dey do eye test for drivers so some drivers may not see u .. IMO no biggie

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Walexz02(m): 7:04pm On May 25, 2012
9-zeros:
in lagos, everytin needs to 'shine eye'....includin cars!
abi o cheesy
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by onyeego(m): 7:04pm On May 25, 2012
American specs my foot!
This is Nigeria!
This is why we hv refused to make progress.
What is d RELIVANCE of driving with ur lights on with d kind of wether we have here?
It makes no sense having ur lights on in broad day light!

Wether you agree or not; most people do it to show off.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Opoki(m): 7:08pm On May 25, 2012
DLR
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by ANTITRIBALISM(m): 7:08pm On May 25, 2012
It's because the government has covered the country with darkness and people are struggling to move with headlamps in broad-day light.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by begwong: 7:08pm On May 25, 2012
Adrenaline: Ignorance is "bliss" they say, guess you've never heard of DRLs
Take am easy.The dude asked a Qtn and many gave him well elaborated explanations and yrs is to spew thrash.
Cant u even see d Op's comment appreciating being learned now on DRLs?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Nobody: 7:10pm On May 25, 2012
lol @ poster, did u see me drive by in my 97 jalopee Jetta, its the day lights nau, its A-specs. I wud de-activate it, but that's the only thing giving my 97 Jetta swag + my sun-roof. its so difficult to impress the girls these days. u don't want them to be looking at other cars while they're in urs u know!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by kobezex: 7:18pm On May 25, 2012
@onye ego guy y u dey talk like this na? This tin is common amongst American specs, especiallylthe toyotas. Why do we just like abusing our fellow country men. If u're still in doubt u can google it or better still ask any car dearler around u or even stop any noving car that has this & interrogate him. Some yrs back before i used 2 that has that feature, i thought it was forgetfullness on the part of the drivers.
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Nobody: 7:21pm On May 25, 2012
[b]Even jalopies on Lagos roads are part of this trend.[b] this part made me laf gringrin
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by walcolm(m): 7:21pm On May 25, 2012
onye ego: American specs my foot!
This is Nigeria!
What is d RELIVANCE of driving with ur lights on with d kind of wether we have here?

as you can see from the OP response, he asked because he didn't know and has now been shown the light...rather than learn, na strong head u de use there. you're OYO

what actually doesn't make sense is you not asking what the philosophy behind DRL is
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by JeSoul(f): 7:29pm On May 25, 2012
onye ego: American specs my foot!
This is Nigeria!

Lol. You have a point that its usefulness/relevance is lower because of the kind of weather in Naija. From the wikipedia entry, the practice begun in scandinavian countries...

The daytime running light was first mandated, and safety benefits first perceived, in Scandinavian countries where it is frequently and persistently dark during daytime hours in winter time. As ambient light levels increase, the potential safety benefit decreases while the DRL intensity required for a safety improvement increases. The safety benefit produced by DRLs in relatively dark Nordic countries is roughly triple the benefit observed in relatively bright Israel and America. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

I was taught in driving school that using headlights during the day increases your chances of being seen by other motorists by 30% here in the northeast where it can get dark early during the winter, thereby increasing safety. So while it may be much less beneficial in Naija with the perfect sunny weather, it probably still has some safety benefits overall.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Siga: 7:30pm On May 25, 2012
A daytime running lamp (DRL, also daylight running lamp or daytime running light) is an automotive lighting device on the front of a roadgoing motor vehicle, installed in pairs, automatically switched on when the vehicle is moving forward, emitting white, yellow, or amber light to increase the conspicuity of the vehicle during daylight conditions.

Depending on prevailing regulations and vehicle equipment, the daytime running light function may be implemented by functionally-specific lamps, by operating the low-beam headlamps or fog lamps at full or reduced intensity, by operating the high-beam headlamps at reduced intensity, or by steady-burning operation of the front turn signals. Compared to any mode of headlamp operation to create the daytime running light, functionally-dedicated DRLs maximize the potential benefits in safety performance and minimize fuel consumption, glare, motorcycle masking, and other potential drawbacks

Safety performanceNumerous studies done worldwide since the 1970s have tended to conclude that daytime running lights improve safety.[1][2][3] A 2008 study by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration analysed the effect of DRLs on frontal and side-on crashes between two vehicles and on vehicle collisions with pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists. The analysis determined that DRLs offer no statistically-significant reduction in the frequency or severity of the collisions studied, except for a reduction in light trucks' and vans' involvement in two-vehicle crashes by a statistically-significant 5.7%.[4]

Effect on motorcycle safetyIn many countries, every motorcycle's low beam headlamp has been wired to illuminate whenever the engine is running, either as a matter of law or of voluntary industry practice. Some motorcycling advocacy groups are concerned over the potential for reduced motorcycle conspicuity with the introduction of headlamp-based DRLs on cars and other dual-track vehicles, since it means motorcycles are no longer the only vehicles displaying headlamps during the day.[5] Some researchers have suggested that amber DRLs be reserved for use exclusively on motorcycles, in countries where amber is not presently a permissible color for DRLs on any vehicles,[6] while other research has concluded there is a safety disbenefit to two 90 mm x 520 cd DRLs on motorcycles in comparison to one 190 mm x 270 cd dipped beam headlight. The latter result suggests that DRL luminous area may have an important influence on its effectiveness.[7]

ALL FROM WIKIPEDIA.......FEEL FREE TO READ MORE.....
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by 190: 7:34pm On May 25, 2012
I hate 2 say dis but I'm part of d trend dat switch lites on durin d day

I'm just used 2 it

Its called effizin

Or I don arrive
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 25, 2012
begwong:
Take am easy.The dude asked a Qtn and many gave him well elaborated explanations and yrs is to spew thrash.
Cant u even see d Op's comment appreciating being learned now on DRLs?

lol if u read my post again ud see dat there's nothing wrong with it. The thread topic was written out of ignorance pure and simple, and mind you ignorance is not necessarily a derogatory term, after all there are facts that I myself am ignorant of till date

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pretty Soon Electric Cars Will Cost Less Than Gasoline Driven Ones / Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome / 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.