Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,852 members, 7,813,908 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills (1696 Views)

Boko Haram Leader Shekau Dismisses Nigerian Military Claims / Army Surrounds Boko-Haram's Shekau In Borno Hills / Boko-Haram Leader, Shekau’s In-laws Arrested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by Monimatic(m): 3:27am On Jul 27, 2013
By Punch Newspaper, Lagos
The leader of the Boko Haram
Islamic sect, Sheikh Abubakar
Shekau, may have been cornered by
operatives of the Joint Task Force in
Gwoza hills, Borno State.
A top security source told Saturday
PUNCH on Thursday that the JTF
had located the area where the
Boko Haram leader was hiding.
The source stated, “We are
combing Gwoza hills where we
believe Shekau is hiding.”
The source added that a unit of the
Army’s Special Forces team had
launched a “well-coordinated
assault” on a group of insurgents
somewhere in the Gwoza hills areas
on June 26, 2013. Shekau, the
source added, was in the group of
Islamists, with some of his closest
aides.
He added that the operation ran
into “hitches” and in the ensuing
gun battle some of the insurgents
and members of the Special Forces
group lost their lives.
Another military source told
Saturday PUNCH that one of the
army casualties was one of the
country’s best Special Forces
officer, Major A.T. Fambiya, who
had volunteered to lead the
operation.
Sources told Saturday PUNCH five
soldiers were also gunned down by
the insurgents during the encounter.
Fambiya, who hailed from Gwoza
Local Government Area of Borno
State, had reportedly volunteered
for the mission because of his
excellent knowledge of the area.
The source said the military
authorities had accepted Fambiya’s
offer because he had grown up in
the area and he understood the
area’s rocky terrain.
Fambiya, who was on posting to the
322 Artillery Regiment in Benin City,
Edo State, was redeployed to the
JTF on June 13, 2013, a few weeks
into his deployment to the JTF’s
Operation Boyona.
A brief biography of the late soldier
presented by the Nigerian Army
authorities during his burial at the
Nigerian Military Cemetery, Abuja
on Thursday stated that he “was
killed in action on 26 June in a
fierce encounter with Boko Haram
terrorists.”
The secrecy surrounding the
operation made the next of kin to
the Major, a pastor, Iliya Joshua, to
call on the Federal Government to
investigate the cause of the death
of his brother.
“We call on the Federal
Government to investigate the
rumoured cause of the death of the
officers since it remains a mystery
to our family,” he said, without
giving any explanation about what
he meant by “rumoured death”.
Iliya later told our correspondent
that he made the call to the Federal
Government and the military
authorities to investigate the deaths
because his brother was not
supposed to be in Borno.
He said that the late major was
supposed to be undergoing training
at the Nigerian Army School of
Artillery, Kantagora, Niger State.
He said, “I made the call because
he was supposed to be at the Army
school of artillery. The last time I
called him, he said that he was not
part of those people that were
going to Maiduguri for this
operation.
“But later, I was told that he had
been killed. He was not supposed
to be on posting to that place.”
When our correspondent
contacted the Director of Defence
Information, Brig. Gen Chris
Olukolade, he said that the
mandate of the JTF was to look for
all insurgents and not just the
leader of the Boko Haram sect.
“We know that we are combing
everywhere for every insurgent. The
pursuit of the insurgents is
continuing. That is the mandate at
the moment,” he said.
President Goodluck Jonathan had
told the CNN a few days ago that
the Boko Haram threat would be
overcome by security operatives in
the country.
He said that the Federal
Government was neither negotiating
nor begging the Islamic militants as
steps were being taken to deal
decisively with the scourge.
He had said, “We are not
negotiating with Boko Haram. It is
done all over the world. It is not
negotiation. We are not begging.
“Our security architecture was first
designed to deal with ordinary
criminals but since terror started,
we have been building it. I believe
if you are to interview me again in
three months’ time, you will praise
me that this government has tried.
“We are tackling terror from
various angles. We must first of all
stop them through military
intervention, which we have
initiated by declaring a state of
emergency in three states where
these terror attacks are
predominant.

http://mobile.saharareporters.com/
news-page/army-corners-boko-haram-
leader-shekau-borno-hills-punch-
newspaper
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by 1bunne4lif(m): 3:45am On Jul 27, 2013
Ok
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by thoth: 3:52am On Jul 27, 2013
Though this is Nigeria, but we should know the movements,operations,names and conditions of the Special Forces are not public knowledge, their families may not know 85% of their movements.

2 Likes

Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by Nobody: 4:57am On Jul 27, 2013
Dcvg
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by Olumikedos(m): 4:59am On Jul 27, 2013
God bless Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by sambos994(m): 5:02am On Jul 27, 2013
I want his head to be displayed for all to see... angry angry angry
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by Sunymoore(m): 5:04am On Jul 27, 2013
catch did small rat
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by kkkp: 5:10am On Jul 27, 2013
Our journalists sef.
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by Brimmie(m): 5:20am On Jul 27, 2013
These JTF Guys Are Just So Stewpid.. And Clueless!! Why Telling The Public All Ds?? And Givin The Silly Cat Chance To Guard Up Or Find An Escape Route!?

America Didnt Release Or Tell The Public Their Moves When They Were Hunting For Osama!!

God Bless Nigeria!!
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by Baba419(m): 5:32am On Jul 27, 2013
Brimmie: These JTF Guys Are Just So Stewpid.. And Clueless!! Why Telling The Public All Ds?? And Givin The Silly Cat Chance To Guard Up Or Find An Escape Route!?

America Didnt Release Or Tell The Public Their Moves When They Were Hunting For Osama!!

God Bless Nigeria!!
when they choose not to inform you then you complain, now you are informed you still complain. Nigerian what do you want?

1 Like

Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by traffickz(m): 5:51am On Jul 27, 2013
Bring Him Alive please JTF!
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by Nobody: 6:17am On Jul 27, 2013
Who is the yeye SOURCE from JTF feeding PUNCH...

Deal with the animal that has refused to keep his mouth shut... angry

He may be feeding Shekau too angry
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by thaoriginator: 6:28am On Jul 27, 2013
Bring him to me bois!
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by samuelkaykay(m): 6:47am On Jul 27, 2013
Its always painful losing a key soldier i battle.that soldier made a great sacrifice ,just for the safety of this country.farewell major!

3 Likes

Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by kulchimoo: 6:48am On Jul 27, 2013
Brimmie: These JTF Guys Are Just So Stewpid.. And Clueless!! Why Telling The Public All Ds?? And Givin The Silly Cat Chance To Guard Up Or Find An Escape Route!?

God Bless Nigeria!!
Don't mind those senseless people, the next we go hear be say the man escaped and headed to another root . . . . Them no go catch am . . . . . .
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by Tolexander: 7:06am On Jul 27, 2013
Baba419: when they choose not to inform you then you complain, now you are informed you still complain. Nigerian what do you want?
what is the essence of informing us that he is being surrounded?

What if he escaped during the process, the story would change. The best thing they can do is to be silent on the operation and get the work done.
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by IdomaLikita: 7:10am On Jul 27, 2013
Didn't I say this would happen 3 months ago?

Let's watch out for my other predictions!

Oya T.B.J, my 2 cents!
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by 3ace(m): 7:27am On Jul 27, 2013
Baba419: when they choose not to inform you then you complain, now you are informed you still complain. Nigerian what do you want?
Honestly, he's right. Such info should be classified. Telling the public such information could be counterproductive if the Boko leader hears of this strategy. Anyway, I pray they succeed.
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by taiocol: 7:34am On Jul 27, 2013
smh. jtf is slow. God bless Nigeria
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by free2ryhme: 8:25am On Jul 27, 2013

God Bless Nigeria!!

it is you dat is senseless .. this info could be a distraction .. it is a strategy

2 Likes

Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by jhydebaba(m): 8:34am On Jul 27, 2013
RIP gallant soldier.
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by J0nyb0y(m): 8:37am On Jul 27, 2013
Good work guys.. R.i.p to d dead
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by ZN2: 8:47am On Jul 27, 2013
I don't understand why this information should be out when he's not yet caught.

Seriously? They should know better!
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by Nobody: 9:06am On Jul 27, 2013
Shekau can not be foolish enough to keep his a.rse in gwoza hills. He is too smart for that.
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by JbravoAdodger(m): 9:18am On Jul 27, 2013
Lmao!! I thought they said beverly hills embarassed *exits thread*
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by bankyblue(m): 9:51am On Jul 27, 2013
Air strike will be better, inshort just bomb the whole hill, and
Let's rest once and for all. Nonsense
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by ckkris: 10:11am On Jul 27, 2013

God Bless Nigeria!!
Nigerian Forces have gained the upper hand in this battle against Boko Haram. What is said may be to outwit the hidden Boko Haram sponsors within the military. Its a very difficult war, when you can never tell who in the war room is leaking info to Shekarau. Without strong financial/political and military backing Boko Haram would have been destroyed by now.
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by dridowu: 10:42am On Jul 27, 2013
Kudos to Nigeria Army
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by amasule(f): 10:43am On Jul 27, 2013
samuelkaykay: Its always painful losing a key soldier i battle.that soldier made a great sacrifice ,just for the safety of this country.farewell major!

True talk! RIP Nigerian Hero!
Re: Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills by OAM4J: 11:56am On Jul 27, 2013

(1)

Igbo Scholar Disgraces Femi Fani-kayode •demolishes Claims On Igbo/yoruba / Oshiomhole May Join Pdp….as LP, APGA Queue Behind Jonathan / I’ll Disown Dad If He Rejoins PDP –el-rufai’s Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.