Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,269 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:01 AM

Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! (993 Views)

Tukur Accepts Suspension, To Face PDP Disciplinary C’tee / Yoruba Divided As Confab C’tee Storms Lagos / Exclusive Power Probe Report: Any Wonder Why Nigeria Is In Darkness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by ayomifull(f): 6:09pm On May 27, 2008
Last Updated ( Tuesday, 27 May 2008 ) 
  Written by Tashikalmah Hallah, on 27-05-2008 00:00
Views 73

The House of Representatives Committee on Power and Steel, which is probing the $16b allegedly spent by the Obasanjo regime on the power sector without commensurate results, will soon jet out to Europe where it would write its report in order to avoid any undue influence peddling and possible leakage to the press, Daily Trust learnt in Abuja yesterday.

The committee had spent two months conducting public hearings and touring of project sites across the country, where startling revelations were made about the non performance of the contractors despite collecting huge sums of money.

The committee also heard that former President Olusegun Obasanjo granted due process waiver in the payment of contractors handling the multi-billion Naira National Integrated Power Projects (NIPP). An official of the committee, who preferred anonymity, said those who are compiling the report are currently abroad, and that there is little possibility that the report will leak. He said also that the Committee has not prepared the report’s executive summary or substantive report on the power sector probe,

More on Daily Trust Newspaper.
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by ayomifull(f): 6:10pm On May 27, 2008
Another waste of public fund. Why cant they go to hell to write it for all i care.
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by oludayo20(m): 7:12pm On May 27, 2008
That's great! Nigerian MP's full of surprises,travelling abroad to write reports or share money?When are our leaders going to be serious,this is quite unbelievable.
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by Encomium(m): 7:22pm On May 27, 2008
Nigeria is a funny country where the more you look, the less you see. What else do you expect from dishonourables wasting tax payers money.
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by blacksta(m): 8:27pm On May 27, 2008
This country is a joke any opportunity to rack up expenses and I can gurantee you the bill will be inflated I am bringing to understand these idiots I believe that they think we are all idiots . Only in nigeria where have u heard of a minister going abroad to write report Enough of writing we need to start fighting I so sick of these individuals and can't bear it any longer
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by vigasimple(m): 8:44pm On May 27, 2008
They also want to take their own share of the loot in their diplomatic bag overseas.

Yar a'dull and all his quango are not being upfront with Nigerians.

The issues is Secondary student maths to sort out.

1. How many contractors are awarded contract under the NIPP

2. How much was paid to them

3.What are they suppose to do

4. have they done the work to the value of the monies

5. If any of the contractor has not carried out the work to the value of payment made to them where is the balance of the monies.

Also I think it is high time the minister for energy/power to put up a website and explain all the power situation so that ordinary market women can understand it.

Also, how many megawatts do we need and where is it going to be sited, how much will it costs and how are we going to fund it.

CORRUPTION IS ACTUALLY BLINDING OUR LEADERS BECAUSE I HAVE SPENT ONLY 10 MINUTES ANALYSING THE ISSUES. OBJ SPENT 8 YEARS AND SPEND 10-16 BILLION DOLLARS NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT.

YAR A'DULL HAS SPENT NEARLY A YEAR MAKING SILLY PUBLIC ENQUIRY.

YOU CAN FOOL MOST PEOPLE MOST OF THE TIME BUT YOU CAN'T FOOL EVERYBODY ALL THE TIME.
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by oldie(m): 9:51pm On May 27, 2008
I HAVE SPENT ONLY 10 MINUTES ANALYSING THE ISSUES
If it took you 10 minutes to write this crap,
then it would take you more than 10 years to understand our power problems

Sometimes simple minds over simplify problems!

Now to the post, I have maintained that the probe itself is a scam
All hot air, achieving nothing sad
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by 4Him1(m): 9:58pm On May 27, 2008
hahahaha similar to Turaki who was governing Jigawa from abroad.
Naija na wa o.

Simply set up another committee to probe the committee probing the power sector. Let those ones go to Cameroun to write their report. Then set up another committee to probe them too.
Fill up Abuja with "white papers" whose sole aim is to gather dust, give a false sense of the senators working hard while lining their pocket with yet more loot.

After (s)elect another president who will threaten to declare another state of emergency, inaugurate yet more probe committees who will also write their golden report from mars . . . and the circus continues.
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by vigasimple(m): 10:49pm On May 27, 2008
oldie:

If it took you 10 minutes to write this crap,
then it would take you more than 10 years to understand our power problems

Sometimes simple minds over simplify problems!

Now to the post, I have maintained that the probe itself is a scam
All hot air, achieving nothing sad

I am happy you seems to understand the problem and very quick at criticising others.

Now, can you explain to everyone on this forum what the problem is and what are 'doable' solutions that start now, not next week or next year or 10 years as you think.

I will tell you one thing for sure anything that is not simple is fraud if not a political game. somebody is not telling somebody the truth.

Is it lack of expertise or finance or equipment to use in buliding power ?.

Just to 'simplify' your mind. How long does it take you to buy your generator and put petrol and start it to get light in your house. You see the same concept goes for the large power transformer and station be it at a higer level.

Even though there a slight adjustment as the power station are built from stcrath but the equipment is likely to be assembled on site. The concept is very similar.

When you build 1 storey building or 100 storey building , you start with a plan/drawings etc.

Please direct your argument be it from lay person point of view or a professional for ordinary Nigerians to understand.
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by aahmed112: 11:56pm On May 27, 2008
Nigeria is soooooooooooo annoyin!! pple r in lagos without light for a month, but these pple, one yr later r still tryna figure out hw best to write a bloody report dat doesnt define an y direction to solving the issues on ground (at least within their brain capacities)!!

I blame obasanjo for enforcing someone who never wanted 2 b president on us; he clearly does not have a plan, and it is passable cos he didnt aspire this high!!
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by Nobody: 4:49am On May 28, 2008
aahmed112:

Nigeria is soooooooooooo annoyin!! people r in lagos without light for a month, but these people, one yr later r still trying to figure out hw best to write a bloody report that doesnt define an y direction to solving the issues on ground (at least within their brain capacities)!!

I blame obasanjo for enforcing someone who never wanted 2 b president on us; he clearly does not have a plan, and it is passable because he didnt aspire this high!!

Is Lagos the only place you know without light in Nigeria?
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by Tonim(f): 4:58am On May 28, 2008
aahmed112:

I blame obasanjo for enforcing someone who never wanted 2 b president on us; he clearly does not have a plan, and it is passable because he didnt aspire this high!!

You are right.
One of the biggest blunders of OBJ was forcing Yar'Adull on us as president. I'm sure he is really regretting it as we speak.
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by Nobody: 5:40am On May 28, 2008
I am not a Nigerian anymore. I am looking for another country that will adopt me as a citizen. Nigeria is doomed for life. No hope!
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by SkyBlue1: 8:35am On May 28, 2008
Tonim:

You are right.
One of the biggest blunders of OBJ was forcing Yar'Adull on us as president. I'm sure he is really regretting it as we speak.
Sorry but i really have to ask this. Who on earth gave OBJ the right to infringe anybody on us in the first place?? You speak as if this was just a simple blunder and Nigerians should be grateful that he at least gave us somebody. So Nigeria's future rests on who OBJ in all his graciousness takes out time in his busy life to inflict on us? Throwing us scraps of bone? What on earth happened to democracy? So Yaradua was the only viable option in a country of 140million? Who cares if OBJ regrets anything? How does that change anynthing? Sorry if i seem hostile i am just being honest and Nigeria seems to have this culture of being grateful at mediocrity and a lot of very below par achievements instead of demanding better which is rightfully theirs and ours. Why don't we just be honest? Why don't we stop romanticizing the issue as if it was a blunder of he went to toilet and forgot to wipe after? Let us say it as it is, he inflicted this person on Nigerians, this was done by wide spread vote rigging and thuggery or in some places no elections yet results being announced, etc. That is how it was done, it wasn't an innocent blunder. It wasn't a matter of he forgot to wipe his nose or an if you will, "oopsie daisy" situation, so let us not treat it as such or understate the matter in hyperbole. OBJ should stop contributing to Nigeria, it is enough, it is enough!! OBJ, IBB, Odilli, Igbenidion, all of them, they should just go somewhere and get another citizenship so that we can focus on cleaning up this mess and moving on without them. They have "helped" enough abeg. And who allowed these things to happen and carry on? Nigerians!! I trust, a man can go and rape a whole village but once he builds a road leaving the community with all of its many woes, all will be forgiven with the reasoning of "im try abeg, leave am". Only in Nigeria!!! The whole system seems to have failed in its duties, the legislature, judiciary, executive, and even more worryingly and shockingly, the citizens!!!
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by ayomifull(f): 9:08am On May 28, 2008
engineerd:

I am not a Nigerian anymore. I am looking for another country that will adopt me as a citizen. Nigeria is doomed for life. No hope!

Unfurtunately you are still a Nigerian until then. lol
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by Tonim(f): 10:07am On May 28, 2008
Sky Blue:

Sorry but i really have to ask this. Who on earth gave OBJ the right to infringe anybody on us in the first place??

You speak as if this was just a simple blunder and Nigerians should be grateful that he at least gave us somebody.

So Nigeria's future rests on who OBJ in all his graciousness takes out time in his busy life to inflict on us? Throwing us scraps of bone? What on earth happened to democracy? So Yaradua was the only viable option in a country of 140million? Who cares if OBJ regrets anything? How does that change anynthing? Sorry if i seem hostile i am just being honest and Nigeria seems to have this culture of being grateful at mediocrity and a lot of very below par achievements instead of demanding better which is rightfully theirs and ours. Why don't we just be honest?

Why don't we stop romanticizing the issue as if it was a blunder of he went to toilet and forgot to wipe after?

Let us say it as it is, he inflicted this person on Nigerians, this was done by wide spread vote rigging and thuggery or in some places no elections yet results being announced, etc. That is how it was done, it wasn't an innocent blunder.

It wasn't a matter of he forgot to wipe his nose or an if you will, "oopsie daisy" situation, so let us not treat it as such or understate the matter in hyperbole. OBJ should stop contributing to Nigeria, it is enough, it is enough!! OBJ, IBB, Odilli, Igbenidion, all of them, they should just go somewhere and get another citizenship so that we can focus on cleaning up this mess and moving on without them. They have "helped" enough abeg. And who allowed these things to happen and carry on? Nigerians!! I trust, a man can go and rape a whole village but once he builds a road leaving the community with all of its many woes, all will be forgiven with the reasoning of "im try abeg, leave am". Only in Nigeria!!! The whole system seems to have failed in its duties, the legislature, judiciary, executive, and even more worryingly and shockingly, the citizens!!!

Please, where in my post did i say or imply that Nigerians should be grateful that OBJ gave us someone as president ? You said he inflicted Yar'Adull on us, I said he forced him on us - Isn't this pretty much the same thing undecided

In the future, learn how to target your post/response to the right quarters.
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by yemivictor: 3:31pm On May 30, 2008
Atimes, i think deeply on why i had to come to this world a Nigerian embarassed . . . . .
Re: Power Probe: C’tee To Write Report Abroad! by Kobojunkie: 4:40am On Jun 02, 2008
Ain't it time we start accept responsibilty for some of this, as Nigerians. I mean have we not exhausted the whole BLAME OBJ FOR ANYTHING TO STINKS card already?? I think we have. We sat by and watched him put the new guy in and we did nothing. How much longer do we have to sit and play this game until we realise what we have in our hands today?? Where are the petition signers when you need them?? LMAO!!

(1) (Reply)

President Yar’adua To 're-energise' Ties With France / If Am The Nigerian President: / Ekiti Govt. To Generate $1b Revenue From Tourism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.