Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,064 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. (18072 Views)

What Is The Problem Between Mothers And Their Daughter-In-Laws? / Opinion From Mothers Pls / Nursing Mothers And Intercourse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by picki(f): 10:36pm On Jul 27, 2013
Am a first time mom and just put to bed 10 days ago through normal delivery. Before leaving the hospital I was advised by doctors and matrons not to press hot water on my belly, as my uterus will contract back itself once am breast feeding and doing my warm water seat bath. I was also advised against tying my tummy cos of my Womb.
But now that am home, av been getting contrast opinions telling me not to mind the doctors.Lots of people have recommended that I allow my mum massage my tummy as this has caused an issue between me and her. I have also been advised to take dry gin for my tummy but I don't take alcohol and don't want to be selfish either cos my baby will likely drink it from breast milk.
Kindly advise cos am in a dilemma on this issue

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jul 27, 2013
Congrats on your new baby! There won't be any harm to your womb by the hot water massages, be careful of skin scalding though! I don't know what tying the abdomen is but if it is just wrapping something snugly over your belly, it shouldn't affect your womb either. Would not recommend the gin though, it passes through your breastmilk and can affect the baby. If you must though, don't feed the baby for like 2-3 hrs after drinking it to allow your body time to clear the alcohol from your system. But I would recommend staying away from the alcohol with a newborn baby whose system is still so immature.
Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by biolabee(m): 10:53pm On Jul 27, 2013
Drinking warm-hot water only also helps

Congrats!
Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 27, 2013
There s what we call*mmiri oku*(hot water) its a combination of spices and hot chilli pepper for a woman who hv givin birth cooked as pepper soup. Once u go to mkt and ask about such,mkt women r always handy to mix them for u.
As for tying something on ur stomach,I rather exercise. From six wks,I think u can be able to exercise after receivin a go ahead nod from ur doc.
Google best exercise for newly born mothers and do it religiously.that's d best way to get back to shape.
Congrats dear.
Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jul 27, 2013
biolabee: Drinking warm-hot water only also helps

Congrats!
Old hand in d biz!
Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by biolabee(m): 11:49pm On Jul 27, 2013
Madam I hail oo

Im still a learner

yellowpawpaw:
Old hand in d biz!
Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by Mrsmansson(f): 12:18am On Jul 28, 2013
That tying of tummy na lazy man job.most Nigerian mothers use it deceiving themselves to achieve flat tummy.From 6-8 weeks you should be ok to start an exercise not just for a flat tummy alone it also helps firms the muscles between your thorax and pelvis that definately got expanded during pregnancy.consult your Doc all the same.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by Nobody: 12:25am On Jul 28, 2013
I found this recipe for ji mmiri oku (yam peppersoup). http://cravescorner..com/2012/03/yam-peppersoup-ji-mmiri-oku.html?m=1
Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by Popsicle: 9:34pm On Jul 28, 2013
@ OP- Congratulations on the birth of your baby.
Pls let your mum or hubby press your stomach with hot water (you will feel the way the blood will flow faster) & pls tie your tummy religiously (morning & night) for 6weeks & more till when you are satisfied with the way your stomach is. Its painful but you will be pleased with the result. It worked perfectly for me & i always give this advice to new mums. I dint do any exercise & people are still surprised that i gave birth to 3 children cos my stomach is flat.
PLS AVOID ALCOHOL. Just take your pepper soup & hot beverages.
All the best!

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by kreamidiva(f): 12:05pm On Jul 30, 2013
Mmiri oku ji with uda,uziza,stockfish and dried fish

Hot compresses on ur stomach

Hot beverages

And a piece of wrapper tied on ur stomach from morning till evening.

Then once its six to eight weeks after delivery,do ur sit-ups
Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by greatgod2012(f): 12:56pm On Jul 30, 2013
@op, congrats on your delivery, may the arrival of the LO come along with your heart desires.

Well. Personally, I believe all these pressing of stomach with hot water and tying of wrapper on your tummy are all unnecessary.

Practise exclusive breastfeeding. bath with warm/hot water every morning and evening, take hot foods and drinks always,after 6 weeks start simple exercises like walking and going up and down of staircase, and you will be ok.

Childbirth is painful on its own, and after it, I will still have to be punishing myself by being pressed with hot water, mba!

Btw, I'm a mother of 3 and I've never done all this but you need to see how fit I am.

Let me tell you one secret sef.......exclusive breastfeeding alone sef does the magic.
Take care of the wonderful baby for me o.

5 Likes

Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by smartmom(f): 12:58pm On Jul 30, 2013
As for me, I didnt do any of the home remedies and by 6 weeks, I had my pre pregnancy figure, but after my 4th, no no no , could not 'undo' the harm of preggie so I guess its to do with age.
Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by greatgod2012(f): 1:04pm On Jul 30, 2013
Please, do away with alcohol completely, if possible.
It usually have adverse effect on babies.
Babies have very immature liver and hence, alcohol consumption by the breastfeeding mother is likely going to affect babies more than their mothers.
Thanks.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/alcohol.html&sa=U&ei=p6_3UdTKKcrUsgaf4YHwDQ&ved=0CCsQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNHowsaOpzX8RUAqFBwxjKmrTZwb3Q
Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by degurl(f): 1:40pm On Jul 30, 2013
If you don't do all these, the "omugwo" is not complete na.

As for me, I did the following:
*lots of pepper soup with uda, uziza, uteshi, osumada, dry and stock fish, snails, and other hot hot spices + pounded yam.

* stomach pressing is a must and helps fasten blood flow, and also help the womb contrast faster to its normal shape and helps burn off baby fat around the stomach. It worked for me.

*I used girdle religiously. the only time I wasn't wearing girdle was when I was having my bath. I also substituted with wrapper but when I wanted to go out to the clinic, I wore my girdle. And it worked for me.

*****don't drink alcohol please.***

The only thing that gave me away as a new mum was my milk filled swollen Bobbis.
Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by StellaBella(f): 6:05pm On Jul 30, 2013
I think you should let yourself be pampered by your mother. Mother knows best. Tying your stomach works for a friend of mine well. Take it easy , worry less and enjoy your baby. Congratulations.
Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by abioduntin(f): 6:46pm On Jul 31, 2013
@oP,I did all these when I had my children except taking alcohol. Pple still doubt I hv had 3 kids. It causes no harm to you. Best of luck
Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by gynny(f): 11:14pm On Aug 04, 2016
Postpartum care also involves taking care of your C-section wound or vaginal tears.Postpartum care plan is not limited to just your physical health. It also involves your mental well-being. This involves managing mood swings, anxiety, irritability, depression and also sadness.Click on the link below to read more.
http://www.gigihealth.com/labor-and-delivery-postpartum-care/
Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by Immaculated: 12:37am On Aug 05, 2016
OP pls don't use hot water to massage ur stomach...I agree with what greatgod2012. drinking hot/warm water is better than massaging d stomach with hot water. dats y most moms have wrinkled/rough stomach(quote me anywhere)...my mom never did it and we r four in number, my grandma never massaged hot water on her stomach too and she had 6 children and am telling u her stomach is firm and its not rough/wrinkled.. Pls listen to ur doctors.
Re: Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. by Immaculated: 12:38am On Aug 05, 2016
I m so sorry for disturbing u ma/sir. Pls I want u to vote
PHOTOSHOOT in ds ongoing Mr nairaland contest. D finals will hold
on Saturday from 10am-6pm, the thread will be on d fashion
section.
Ejur e ranwa lowo..enyere anyi biko...pls help us to win ds crown, familylanders.
Thanks fams.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Man Absconds After Wife’s Scan Reveals Triplet / Child Spacing / Dangers And Errors Of Dating Among Minors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.