Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,225 members, 7,829,378 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks (23640 Views)

Amaechi & Jonathan Fight Again: Soldiers Take Over Stadium / Peace Talks Split Boko Haram Into Two Groups / Amaechi: Jonathan Is Victimising Rivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Longeria(m): 1:29pm On Jul 28, 2013
gbawẹ́e:
President Goodluck Jonathan on Saturday had a closed-doors meeting with five Northern Peoples Democratic Party governors in a step towards resolving the crisis rocking the ruling Peoples Democratic Party.

The meeting, which was held at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, had in attendance governors Murtala Nyako (Adamawa), Babangida Aliyu (Niger), Rabiu Kwankwaso (Kano), Ibrahim Geidam (Yobe) and Kashim Shettima (Borno).

The relationship between Nyako, Aliyu and Kwankwaso and the Presidency on one hand, and the PDP on the other hand, became strained when the governors supported the re-emergence of Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State as the Chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum against Governor Jonah Jang of Plateau State.

The northern governors have also been taking sides with Amaechi against the Presidency in the political crisis rocking Rivers.

Apart from paying Amaechi a solidarity visit in Port Harcourt, the state capital, they also met with former President Olusegun Obasanjo in Abeokuta on July 20 to discuss issues believed to include the crisis in Rivers State and the PDP. Jonathan also had a separate meeting with former president Obasanjo in Abeokuta same day.

On Monday, the governors also met with former Heads of State, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida and Gen. Abdusalami Abubakar on the same issues in Minna, Niger State capital.

SUNDAY PUNCH learnt that the Saturday meeting of the governors and Jonathan was one of the outcomes of the consultations they had with the former leaders.

A presidency source said the governors would have met with the President alongside Abdusalami when the former military head of state visited Jonathan on Wednesday evening.

He said the meeting was however postponed because the initial time clashed with the expected arrival time of the President’s wife, Patience, who lost her foster mother, Mrs. Christy Oba.

It was not clear whether the formal military leader attended the Saturday meeting.

Although the agenda of the meeting which was held inside the official residence of the President was not made public, the source said it was a continuation of the governors consultation and intervention in the Rivers crisis.

Our correspondent further learnt that the five governors had earlier met at an undisclosed location within Abuja before moving to the Presidential Villa for the meeting that started at about noon and lasted about two hours.

At the meeting, which was the initiative of the President, it was learnt that the governors expressed their misgivings over the Rivers crisis and advised the President not to take sides.

The source who pleaded anonymity, said the governors also told the President that it was wrong for him to back the Jonah Jang-led faction of the NGF, instead of supporting the choice of the majority of the governors.

Besides, SUNDAY PUNCH learnt that the governors also blamed the party’s National Chairman, Bamanga Tukur, for the crises and demanded that he should be sacked.

“The President was told to support the chairman of the NGF, who is from his zone and who was elected by the majority of the governors.

“They also told him that he should realise that he came to office through election and not through endorsement, which Jang is claiming to have before the NGF election.

“They told the President pointedly that there was no way he could wash his hands off what is happening in both the NGF and Rivers State and that he must act as a leader.

“They said if he could do these three things, the tension in the country would be reduced drastically,” the source said.

The President was said to have denied his involvement in both the NGF and Rivers State crises and promised to find a solution to the challenges the party is facing.

Although there were rumours making the rounds that Amaechi also attended the meeting, the President’s spokesman, Dr. Reuben Abati, who confirmed the meeting of the Northern governors with the President, said the Rivers governor did not attend the meeting.

“There was no such meeting (between Amaechi and the President). I can confirm to you that he met with some governors but Amaechi was not one of them,” the presidential spokesman said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-in-truce-meeting-with-five-governors/
Quoting punch is like quoting trash, they're ashamed that the fire they along with their master Tinubu created is quenching abruptly.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 28, 2013
[quote
author=abdulumah]Am sure GEJ have started loosing sleep because Amech
ws beginning to gain populatity. He should have gone to Rivers state
govt house to ask for forgiveness.UP amechi[/quote]Pls how old are u? this forum is not for under 16 is for matured mind.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Hohaiiiode(m): 1:32pm On Jul 28, 2013
I refuse to be used for political gains.
[/quote] WHO SABI U?
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by stebell(m): 1:33pm On Jul 28, 2013
abdulumah: Am sure GEJ have started loosing sleep because Amech ws beginning to gain populatity. He should have gone to Rivers state govt house to ask for forgiveness.UP amechi
Like seriously are yu for real. d̶̲̥̅̊α̇̇̇̊τ̲̣̣̥ de Pres is loosing sleep and he Amaechi is getting popular? I laff in Efik. τ̲̅ђe man who talks less, listen more is wise above all men. Pres. GEJ has really shown he's mature and de master strategist. Watch dis space as things unfold over de days ‎​t̶̲̥̅̊​o̶̲̥̅̊​ come.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Ayorh4you(m): 1:35pm On Jul 28, 2013
abdulumah: Am sure GEJ have started loosing sleep because Amech ws beginning to gain populatity. He should have gone to Rivers state govt house to ask for forgiveness.UP amechi

ODEE
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by emekatimsu(m): 1:45pm On Jul 28, 2013
Longeria: Quoting punch is like quoting trash, they're ashamed that the fire they along with their master Tinubu created is quenching abruptly.

Heaven Bless you jor.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Longeria(m): 1:45pm On Jul 28, 2013
jhydebaba: What about those who lost their precious lives in the crisis and those that sustained injuries Same noni.

Who lost his life in the crisis? You thinks rivers state is blood thirsty Yoruba and hausa states. Sharaaaaaaaaaap there.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Longeria(m): 2:01pm On Jul 28, 2013
v love: FAKE NEWS
If the news is ;

Jonathan kneeled down for AMAECHI, it would've been REAL NEWS abi. Mtcheewww
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by EPOMA(m): 2:28pm On Jul 28, 2013
egift: Some of you are forming ignorance. Gov. Amaechi made it very clear he will go to Jonathan to officially tell him what is happening in Rivers State. Since the President as C-in-C is pretending not to notice.

Here is the video: watch 02.40 to 04.35 (especially on 03.48)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQpjCJbNOs8
God bless you my brother, our people are so uniformed and ignorant
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by sdpankshin: 2:29pm On Jul 28, 2013
The laziest of all men still proves to be a warrior before his wife.You dont expect Ameachi to remain quite and surrender his mandate to selfish individuals because he wants to remain loyal to mr gen. Those who wants to dictate the words must set pace.we are all living witnesses to what happened between mr gen. and his BOSS.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Longeria(m): 2:41pm On Jul 28, 2013
MEGA-WATCH:
@Omonnaokada,God bless you for having the same view with me. I also want to remind us that it was not only Tinibu that flaws OBJ and his Abuja politicians,Orji Kalu also disgrace and called OBJ a currupt leader in many internationally media and OBJ and his Abuja politicians tried many times to impitch him but failed. Orji kalu later formed his party PPA which later produce the serving gorvernor of Abia state.
The president will never win this battle against Amechi,the worst that can happend is PDP loosing the state. If you believe am wrong please counter my view with facts and figures and remember,wishful thinking is never reality in political calculations.
you quoted those you think fought and defeat the Presidency without mentioning Fayose, Alamieyeseigha, Jim nwobodo, timipri Sylva, late Morris Ibekwe "okwele holdings" who died in efcc cell, in fact Kalu's greatest mistake and down fall is fighting Obj, he said so.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Tintinix: 3:28pm On Jul 28, 2013
Frankmishael:

U̶̲̥̅̊ better ƁƸ careful of ƔŮя words, don't talk 2 my governor like Τђåt pls

And you wonder why people are fighting for their president and "Jesus on Earth"!
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Remii(m): 4:02pm On Jul 28, 2013
jhydebaba: What about those who lost their precious lives in the crisis and those that sustained injuries Same noni.

collateral damages, shikena: Lesson learned, do be the grass for elephants to fight on.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Myself2(m): 4:17pm On Jul 28, 2013
Goddex: So, is Ameachi tired of granting interviews?
He should continue talking. He knows how to
talk and should keep talking.

I don't think the President met with him though.

Seconded,thirded,fourted,,,,,,infinited
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by kasiem(m): 4:36pm On Jul 28, 2013
wirinet: I have said it again and again, it will be very difficult for GEJ to win second term without Amaechi's support. Amaechi has 5 PDP governor upenly declaring support for him. He has the support of at least 19 governors on his side. GEJ can only be sure of about 6 PDP governors for now. There are some of uncommitted PDP governors who are just flowing along with GEJ. Governors determine to a large extent who becomes president in Nigeria. That is why the battles for the chairman of the governors forum is a do or die affair.

Jonathan has made Amaechi very popular and relevant, just like it was OBJ that made Tinubu politically relevant.
the ngf supported sylva at the end what happened? abeg, orji and tinubu were able to survive obj cos they were not under the umbrella of pdp.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by wirinet(m): 4:52pm On Jul 28, 2013
kasiem: the ngf supported sylva at the end what happened? abeg, orji and tinubu were able to survive obj cos they were not under the umbrella of pdp.

Orji was not under the umbrella? Are you sure you know Nigerian politics. Were Dariye, Ladoja, Daniels not under the umbrella? The only governor OBJ was able to deal with successfully was Alams. Even Fayose survived OBJ's onslaught.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Myself2(m): 5:01pm On Jul 28, 2013
wirinet:

Orji was not under the umbrella? Are you sure you know Nigerian politics. Were Dariye, Ladoja, Daniels not under the umbrella? The only governor OBJ was able to deal with successfully was Alams. Even Fayose survived OBJ's onslaught.

So who is now under whose onslaught,as far as I know,Amaechi is under nobody's onslaught
Your comparison is warped and full of half truths
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by vislabraye(m): 5:39pm On Jul 28, 2013
With all the noise Amaechi is making, this story better not be true. It would turn out that all his supporters are foolish.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Didi8: 5:51pm On Jul 28, 2013
Its like we now have a new party - the Northern Peoples Democratic Party. The members are Murtala Nyako (Adamawa), Babangida Aliyu (Niger), Rabiu Kwankwaso (Kano), Ibrahim Geidam (Yobe), Kashim Shettima (Borno) and Adamu Rotimi Amaechi(Rivers). Back in 1983 we had NPP and GNPP, one headed by Nnamdi Azikiwe and the other by Waziri Ibrahim.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 28, 2013
Drsunnie: GEJ has proven to be a father , Amaechi is just an empty vessel .
A father that eats N1.3Billion food---complains that it's only enough for two meals and he needs more---while most of his "children" under his care go to bed hungry?! That's how ur own father treats u? U freaking arsse lickers are the worst.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 28, 2013
U will remain a fool until u die. Unless
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by kasiem(m): 7:52pm On Jul 28, 2013
wirinet:

pls, was ppa an extension of pdp?
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by wirinet(m): 8:37pm On Jul 28, 2013
Myself2:

So who is now under whose onslaught,as far as I know,Amaechi is under nobody's onslaught
Your comparison is warped and full of half truths

Amaechi is not under onslaught by GEJ and his agents? What do you call the grounding of amaechi's plane after landing, then the refusal of the federal government to register the plane. What do you call the support GEJ and patience is giving to the G5 and wike against amaechi. Even patience has not even denied his grouse against Amaechi. What do you call the present lack of security cover for Amaechi and all his supporters.
Please highlight the half truths i stated.

kasiem: pls, was ppa an extension of pdp?
are you just being mischievous or you are truly ignorant of nigerian politics? When and why was PPA formed? Kalu was under the umbrella for almost all of his 8 year reign as governor and formed PPA to wrestle the governorship of Abia from OBJ.

Where is PPA today? Has it not gone under the umbrella?

Your comparison is warped and full of half truths[/quote]

Amaechi is not under onslaught by GEJ and his agents? What do you call the grounding of amaechi's plane after landing, then the refusal of the federal government to register the plane. What do you call the support GEJ and patience is giving to the G5 and wike against amaechi. Even patience has not even denied his grouse against Amaechi. What do you call the present lack of security cover for Amaechi and all his supporters.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by PStacks(m): 9:46pm On Jul 28, 2013
So GEJ has decided to reduce himself to a governor because of 2015.. There is nothing Desperation can not cause..

Once he get's 2015 he would bring out the true eviil genius in him..

Amechi must sense this trick..

No to GEJ's 2015 ambition...

GEJ would do everything and anything for 2015 even if it means to leak my butt..

Tufiakwa....
He has more powers than Amechi, why is he sueing for peace.

Temporal peace, so after 2015 he'l unleash true hell abi... No way..

1 Like

Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by todayguest(m): 10:21pm On Jul 28, 2013
bankyblue: When all this political tout make peace, believe me, is to our
Own disadvantage. because that is when they will loot our money
Without anybody holding anybody, since they re all friends.

But when the situation remain like this, everybody will be watch
DOG, waiting for ur mistake to take u down.
By then, they will fall back to there people and even do more project
In other to get favor from us.

I pray the peace talk will hit the rock
Where ar u frm?U seem to enjoy de crises. U hv 4goten dat,if allowed to escalate, mo' lives 'd b lost nd property damaged nd 'd extend to oda parts of de state,even ur peace 'd be affected. Pls, hv a retink
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by iamtheprincipal: 2:10am On Jul 29, 2013
0monnakoda: Tinubu is still standing.He is not only standing but he kicked out all of Obasanjo's SW stooges including his daughter and Bankole out of office. Trust me Obasanjo knows how to play this brute force game much better than GEJ(even witholding allocation) but he came to realise its limits. Other Nigerians should learn from the SW and stop this desperation to join any "winning" team by any means. What is more important is what Impact is GEJ making to Nigeria. Many of the problems were around before him but they are getting worse particularly security and unemployment.I cannot see any sign that things will change if that man is in power for 100 years . He is truly CLUELESS

There is a limit to how dictatorial a civilian President can be before he gets killed particularly one who is not a soldier(he seems to like military dress grin) and from an ethnic minority.He is not in a position to intimidate anyone.The Amaechi saga is disappointing and sad because from all indications Amaechi was loyal to him but not a YESSMAN like those who appointed his wife Perm Sec. That should tell all of us what GEJ's weakness is ; His wife and their collective inferiority/insecurity which Pastor Bakare talked about . What are the symptoms ? the same as we saw with OBJ; intolerance and a tendency to surround oneself with sycophants and praise singers who do not tell you the truth. Nigeria is in trouble

This comment shows somebody on this forum understands what's happening in this country and not those, typing just to occupy space.
You are spot, Omonnakoda.
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by iamtheprincipal: 2:54am On Jul 29, 2013
0monnakoda: Tinubu is still standing.He is not only standing but he kicked out all of Obasanjo's SW stooges including his daughter and Bankole out of office. Trust me Obasanjo knows how to play this brute force game much better than GEJ(even witholding allocation) but he came to realise its limits. Other Nigerians should learn from the SW and stop this desperation to join any "winning" team by any means. What is more important is what Impact is GEJ making to Nigeria. Many of the problems were around before him but they are getting worse particularly security and unemployment.I cannot see any sign that things will change if that man is in power for 100 years . He is truly CLUELESS

There is a limit to how dictatorial a civilian President can be before he gets killed particularly one who is not a soldier(he seems to like military dress grin) and from an ethnic minority.He is not in a position to intimidate anyone.The Amaechi saga is disappointing and sad because from all indications Amaechi was loyal to him but not a YESSMAN like those who appointed his wife Perm Sec. That should tell all of us what GEJ's weakness is ; His wife and their collective inferiority/insecurity which Pastor Bakare talked about . What are the symptoms ? the same as we saw with OBJ; intolerance and a tendency to surround oneself with sycophants and praise singers who do not tell you the truth. Nigeria is in trouble
Re: Amaechi & Jonathan In Secret Peace Talks by Myself2(m): 11:51am On Jul 30, 2013
wirinet:

wirinet:

There you are

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Bricklayer’s Breakdown Of Nigeria’s Proposed 2015 Budget / Niger Delta Monarchs Meet FG, State Conditions For Peace (photo) / Bukola Saraki Pays Sule Lamido A Visit In His Home In Jigawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.