Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,724 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Can I Still Learn How To Speak And Understand My Native Language At 25? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can I Still Learn How To Speak And Understand My Native Language At 25? (722 Views)

White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Still Learn How To Speak And Understand My Native Language At 25? by Victorjoseph(m): 1:12pm On Jul 29, 2013
Goodday nairalanders...this is a huge problem that I have always been thinking about... Am 25 years of age and yet I still don't know how to speak and understand my own native tongue.. I have stop going to my village because of the insult from my siblings,uncles,friends and so on which I just can't mention..SO guys, if you have any advice to give to me concerning this pls dnt hestitate to tell me
Re: Can I Still Learn How To Speak And Understand My Native Language At 25? by StarFlux: 2:02pm On Jul 29, 2013
What is your native language?

With a lot of exposure and good books, it shouldn't be a problem.
Re: Can I Still Learn How To Speak And Understand My Native Language At 25? by nke001: 2:19pm On Jul 29, 2013
If you believe you can learn any other language, then you can... always stay close to people who speak such language.
Re: Can I Still Learn How To Speak And Understand My Native Language At 25? by odumchi: 4:54pm On Jul 29, 2013
The best way to learn a language is to live in the area it's spoken. If possible, try to spend a year at your native land and you'll definitely learn.
Re: Can I Still Learn How To Speak And Understand My Native Language At 25? by Victorjoseph(m): 7:00pm On Jul 29, 2013
THANX guys 4 d little advice...Am 4rm cross river state.. obudu is my local govt. But there is no means I have never tried...I hav bought several of my native books but stil to no avail..stayed a year plus with one of my beloved uncle...atimes through out a day he wud'nt speak english to me just to make me know how to speak and understand my language but nothing good will come out of it. Am just so fede up because of the shame...if nt because of d insult i always receive 4rm my people,I wil nt border
Re: Can I Still Learn How To Speak And Understand My Native Language At 25? by StarFlux: 7:22pm On Jul 29, 2013
Are you sure you are trying hard enough? With books and no one to really speak with, I managed to learn some Yoruba in a time span of a couple of months. But these were grammar/learning books. What sort of books do you have?
Re: Can I Still Learn How To Speak And Understand My Native Language At 25? by Tolexander: 8:19pm On Jul 29, 2013
You can!
Only if you are serious with the learning and leave where many people communicate with the language undiluted.
Re: Can I Still Learn How To Speak And Understand My Native Language At 25? by Tinkybabe(f): 8:05am On Jul 31, 2013
Like many have asked,do you have a passion driving you? Cause it seem to me that you want to know just to curtail the insults.
This in itself isn't enough to drive you as you can always avoid the people that insult.
If you're really passionate about the lang,you'd learn it.

(1) (Reply)

Please...help...just..with..your..language / Bride Price Different From Dowry? / Yoruba Woman In Lagos Carrying Her Child(holding Uk's Flag)in 1956.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.