Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? (88325 Views)

Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) / King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] / How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Abagworo(m): 11:54am On Jul 12, 2009
I'm asking this because i have noticed that all my friends from opobo cant speak ijaw.is it that igbo displaced the original language or igbo is actually the original language?please this is strictly a language issue.I NEVER CALLED OPOBOS IGBOS.

3 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by AndreUweh(m): 10:37pm On Jul 13, 2009
They are happy with Igbo language. With Igbo language, they can communicate with over 40 million NdiIgbo worldwide.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by asha80(m): 10:55pm On Jul 13, 2009
Andre Uweh:

They are happy with Igbo language. With Igbo language, they can communicate with over 40 million NdiIgbo worldwide.

Uwe u don ur own grin.However seriously i have often wondered myself.I watched a program i nta once about opobo and the language the locals were speaking in the background was igbo .Maybe it has to do with jaja of opobo.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ow11(m): 6:17pm On Jul 14, 2009
@Abagworo

Some of them especially those from Nkoro (Their Ijaw is like a mix between Ibani, Igbo and Kalabari). You see the LGA Opobo/Nkoro has many villages and people generally call them Opobo. Opobo Town itself has many native Igbo speakers. It was same in Bonny till they decided to teach the Ibani language more these days.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by AndreUweh(m): 10:34pm On Jul 14, 2009
In Opobo/Nkoro LGA, two languages are spoken. Nkoro people speak defaki while Opobo speak Igbo. Some Nkoro people understand and speak Igbo as well.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ezeagu(m): 11:40pm On Jul 14, 2009
Opobo people are linked with Nkwerre through Eze Jubogha.

3 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by sosisi(f): 12:06am On Jul 15, 2009
I was shocked when I heard an Opobo lady tell me her mother came for Omugwo
They speak Igbo like you and me

3 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by AndreUweh(m): 3:54pm On Jul 15, 2009
It was so interesting seeing the current King Jaja of Opobo sitting with his fellow Igbo Monarchs at the last Ahiajoku festival at Owerri. He indeed told reporters how glad he was in being in the midst of his kins.

7 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by sosisi(f): 5:35pm On Jul 15, 2009
Andre Uweh:

It was so interesting seeing the current King Jaja of Opobo sitting with his fellow Igbo Monarchs at the last Ahiajoku festival at Owerri. He indeed told reporters how glad he was in being in the midst of his kins.

The current jaja of opobo is an Igbo man?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by AndreUweh(m): 7:14pm On Jul 15, 2009
Nwa ada di nma Osisi.
It has been a very debatable issue. Ijos claim him as well. There is no better person to testify his identity rather than the monarch him self. Hence, the event of Jan 24, 2009 at Owerri has swung the debate in favour of the Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by sosisi(f): 7:28pm On Jul 15, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Nwa ada di nma Osisi.
It has been a very debatable issue. Ijos claim him as well. There is no better person to testify his identity rather than the monarch him self. Hence, the event of Jan 24, 2009 at Owerri has swung the debate in favour of the Igbo.

Igbos and Ijaws have the closest blood lineage in Nigeria.
There were migrants from Igboland that populated Opobo town and intermarried with them.
The first jaja of Opobo was an Igbo man from Orlu/Nkwerre area
There's hardly an Ijaw man alive that doesn't have an Igbo maternal or paternal lineage somewhere.
That is a fact

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ow11(m): 8:10pm On Jul 15, 2009
@Osisi

I think your assertion is not very correct. The rulers of Opobo are called Amayanabo not Jaja.Jaja is usually their surname. King Jack Anna Pepple(Jaja) was the first Amayanabo and we all know his story of rise from grass to grace. Many Ijaw people do not have Igbo blood but I wish we all did anyway so when you say things like this it would be true because the misconception is so deep that it has began to look like the truth.

@Andre

Everyone knows Jaja was a slave boy bought into the Anna Pepple house in the 19th century from somewhere in present day Igboland. What people tend to say is since he was bought, he has become an Ijaw man by default much like you would not call Oprah Winfrey Liberian but American.

3 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by AndreUweh(m): 8:30pm On Jul 15, 2009
OW11
Does this king see himself as Ijo?. The birth place of King Jaja exist till this day and has been converted into a tourist zone by the Imo state government. I think it is somewhere around Amaigbo. This is unlike that of Oprah.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ow11(m): 8:39pm On Jul 15, 2009
@Andre

You are actually right. Oprah wasn't a good analogy and yes his original village should do something to honour such a great man. However, He remains Jaja of Opobo (his new village) and yes The Amayanabo of Opobo sees himself as Ijaw but would not mind calling the Igbos his brothers when he can trace some of his ancestry to Igboland.

Jaja's history is very open and no one can lie about it but it would be out of place if you say Jaja is not Ijaw because he lived most of his life in Ijawland and even founded a new clan there but then again He is also Igbo by birth.

The act of the King ican be equated in some way to what Ndoki people do when they see an Okrika or Kalabari man and say you are my brother. I guess you know the story of the Ndoki people in Abia state.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by sosisi(f): 8:46pm On Jul 15, 2009
ow11:

@Osisi

I think your assertion is not very correct. The rulers of Opobo are called Amayanabo not Jaja.Jaja is usually their surname. King Jack Anna Pepple(Jaja) was the first Amayanabo and we all know his story of rise from grass to grace. Many Ijaw people do not have Igbo blood but I wish we all did anyway so when you say things like this it would be true because the misconception is so deep that it has began to look like the truth.

@Andre

Everyone knows Jaja was a slave boy bought into the Anna Pepple house in the 19th century from somewhere in present day Igboland. What people tend to say is since he was bought, he has become an Ijaw man by default much like you would not call Oprah Winfrey Liberian but American.

I lived in PH in my growing up years
In an estate off Aba road to be precise
I know what I'm talking about.
Most of my Ijaw and rivers state friends had Igbo mothers, grandmothers or great grandmothers.
Go and trace your lineage

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ijawgirl: 8:47pm On Jul 15, 2009
Seems like some of u have been sipping on gutter juice
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by sosisi(f): 8:50pm On Jul 15, 2009
ijaw_girl:

Seems like some of u have been sipping on gutter juice

what is the false statement?
do opobo indigenes not speak Igbo more than any other language?
did the current amanyanabo not celebrate new yam festival in Owerri
or are there not a lot of  Ijaws with Igbo blood
which of the statements are false
why does anything Igbo make you guys quiver even when the statement is true
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ijawgirl: 8:55pm On Jul 15, 2009
what is the false statement?
do opobo indigenes not speak Igbo more than any other language?
did the current amanyanabo not celebrate new yam festival in Owerri
or are there not a lot of  Ijaws with Igbo blood
which of the statements are false

thats just because he was invited

Igbo is just a common language of "communication" in Opobo
some Opobo people also speak efik

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ijawgirl: 8:58pm On Jul 15, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Nwa ada di nma Osisi. There is no better person to testify his identity rather than the monarch him self. Hence, the event of Jan 24, 2009 at Owerri has swung the debate in favour of the Igbo.

look at this idiot? how did you come up with that conclusion
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ow11(m): 9:03pm On Jul 15, 2009
@osisi

Your sample size is too small to come to that conclusion. Ijaw people live in stretches of land from Ondo to Rivers states( Ibeno LGA indigenes in Akwa Ibom state are also thought to be Ijaws but I am not certain) and you surely cannot base your assertion on less than 50 Ijaw people you saw and just assumed it had to be the case throughout Ijawland.

I agree that many have, as per it was fashionable to marry Igbo women in the past. That does not mean there were no Ijaw women in the past. In many Ijaw kingdoms an Amayanabo must be born of an indigenous mother because the Kings always had numerous wives and some were Igbo women.

The truth is that Igbo women are hard working and loyal and would not mind one myself. cool

2 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by sosisi(f): 9:05pm On Jul 15, 2009
ijaw_girl:

thats just because he was invited

Igbo is just a common language of [b]"communication" in Opobo [/b] some Opobo people also speak efik

Now are we not saying the same thing?
Opobo is made up of a lot of Igbo slaves from the 17th and 18th century so most Opobo people have some Igbo lineage
Is that not a fact.
why would Igbo be the language of communication in Opobo if there were no Igbos there?
so why the name calling when you agree to the original post

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by sosisi(f): 9:10pm On Jul 15, 2009
ow11:

@osisi

Your sample size is too small to come to that conclusion. Ijaw people live in stretches of land from Ondo to Rivers states( Ibeno LGA indigenes in Akwa Ibom state are also thought to be Ijaws but I am not certain) and you surely cannot base your assertion on less than 50 Ijaw people you saw and just assumed it had to be the case throughout Ijawland.

I[b] agree that many have, as per it was fashionable to marry Igbo women in the past[/b]. That does not mean there were no Ijaw women in the past. In many Ijaw kingdoms an Amayanabo must be born of an indigenous mother because the[b] Kings always had numerous wives and some were Igbo women. [/b]
The truth is that Igbo women are hard working and loyal and would not mind one myself. cool

we are saying the same thing.
I never said all Ijaws have Igbo blood.I said many.
And I'm referring to the ones in Old Rivers state.

as for the last sentence, I agree
not because I'm Igbo but because it's true
an Igbo woman will not leave her marital home and would work her fingers to the bone
Our marriages have very few divorces
It's a shame in Igboland to be divorced,sometimes the women stay even in terrible abuse,that I don't support though
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ijawgirl: 9:24pm On Jul 15, 2009
$osisi:

Now are we not saying the same thing?
Opobo is made up of a lot of Igbo slaves from the 17th and 18th century so most Opobo people have some Igbo lineage
Is that not a fact.
why would Igbo be the language of communication in Opobo if there were no Igbos there?
so why the name calling when you agree to the original post

well that post was for andre uew whatever his name is. .
Igbo is also spoken in Bonny too. .Igbo was the major language  in Opobo and Bonny during the time of slavery/trade. we used it to communicate with igbos by that time. Most Bonny people learnt how to speak igbo
because of this by the mid 90s the Ibani Language was becoming extinct
more like we lost our speaking dialects

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by AndreUweh(m): 9:28pm On Jul 15, 2009
Ijaw girl
 Do not be insultive here. We are only educating our selves.  I do not want to descend to that level. If you insist on insulting me or any one here, I will not hesistate to report it to the moderators.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ow11(m): 9:30pm On Jul 15, 2009
@Osisi

It is just semantics then, Because you said 'hardly any' which can be understood as Most and I said Many. Most has a generally larger pool size than Many.

@Ijaw_girl

Tobra mo? Andre weri so

In Opobo do people speak the same Ibani as you have in Bonny or is it slightly different because inaddition to Igbo, I know some Opobo people that speak some form of Ijaw that sounds like Ibani.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by AndreUweh(m): 9:54pm On Jul 15, 2009
It will be a welcomed development for the people of Opobo and Amaigbo to unite culturally and socially. For example, the two communities can do do their boat regatta and Iri ji jointly. I think the legendary Jaja story should be the uniting factor here.
Second, it will be interesting for those interested in Opobo history to visit the tourist site of the birth place of King Jaja. I hope to be there in November.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ijawgirl: 10:01pm On Jul 15, 2009
Ibim :-). the Ibani Language in Opobo and Bonny is the same not even slightly different. There is no difference between Opobo's and Bonny people.  
We have the same masquerades, celebrate the same festivals, all our beliefs and practices are the same.

Jaja's history is very open and no one can lie about it but it would be out of place if you say Jaja is not Ijaw because he lived most of his life in Ijawland and even founded a new clan there but then again He is also Igbo by birth.

and Jaja of Opobo didnt find any new clan. he just moved some bonny people to opobo

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ow11(m): 10:03pm On Jul 15, 2009
Andre Uweh:

It will be a welcomed development for the people of Opobo and Amaigbo to unite culturally and socially. For example, the two communities can do do their boat regatta and Iri ji jointly. I think the legendary Jaja story should be the uniting factor here.
Second, it will be interesting for those interested in Opobo history to visit the tourist site of the birth place of King Jaja. I hope to be there in November.

Not a bad idea

@Ijaw-girl

Opobo is now a clan in the Ijaw kingdom and it is not out of order to say he found a new one even though we know he moved Bonny people there. . .
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ijawgirl: 10:07pm On Jul 15, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Iri Iji- you mean new yam festival? grin

"mis-read"
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by MrCrackles(m): 10:08pm On Jul 15, 2009
ijaw_girl:

Iri Iji you mean new yam festival? grin
look at this Onye efulefu

Opobo are ijaw people. GET OVER IT

Gibberish

2 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by AndreUweh(m): 11:01pm On Jul 15, 2009
ijaw girl
For the second time, desist from insulting me or thers. You may write a rebuttal to any post that is false. No garagara. All the matured minds in this thread are not ready to descend to that level.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by udezue(m): 3:50am On Oct 16, 2009
Ijaw girl is so immature. SMH

My relatives are from Bonny and they are half Igbo and Ijaw. No BIGGIE
The Amayanabo attended the recent Ada Igbo event so he obviously knows he is Igbo whether he is in Ijaw land or not and I'm sure he also has Ijaw blood if his forefathers married Ijaw women then. Jaja of Opobo is an Igbo man hence his decendants can't be less Igbo. They are also Igbo. Do they have Ijaw? Ofcourse if they intermarried. Whats the big deal. Opobo and Bonny are like Arochukwu, Abiriba, Kwale where more than 1 ethnic nations have mixed so well its hard to tell the difference. You can't deny the multi ethnic heritage even when one culture like the Igbo is far more influential than others because of their large population. Its only in Rivers you find innocent topics that should be used to educate and even bring us much closer controversial by the likes of Ijaw girl who thinks that throwing insults will change facts.

Nwa-gbogho biko kpachara anya ki.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Photos Of The Rolls-Royces In Emir Sanusi’s Garage / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.