Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh (2524 Views)

Sheikh Jamiu Kewulere-Bello Imam’s Installation, History To Be Made / Liz Anjorin Converts To Islam, Changes Name To Aisha / Obabiyi Aisha Ajibola Wins Muslim Beauty Pageant In Indonesia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by touchmehard: 1:36pm On Jul 29, 2013
[size=14pt]Mohammed's Marriage to 9 Year Old Aisha Does Not Justify Child Marriage Today-Sheikh Abdullah al-Man[/size]

A senior Saudi cleric said the Prophet Mohammed's marriage to a nine-year-old girl some 14 centuries ago cannot be used to justify child marriages today, a Saudi newspaper reported Thursday.

The comments by Sheikh Abdullah al-Manie, a member of the Council of Senior Ulema (scholars), followed the marriage of a 11-year-old girl to a man 68 years her senior.

Manie told Okaz newspaper that circumstances are different today from when Islam's Prophet Mohammed married young Aisha.

Aisha's marriage "cannot be equated with child marriages today because the conditions and circumstances are not the same," Manie said.

The sheikh spoke as the case of a girl in the city of Buraidah, in al-Qasim province, marrying a man estimated to be 80 years old, sparked new criticism of Saudi Arabia not having a law banning child marriages.

Against her will

According to a report last week in Al-Riyadh newspaper, the girl was given in marriage by her father against both her and her mother's wishes. The newspaper reported that the marriage was sealed by a dowry payment and had been consummated.

The father, who took 85,000 riyals (more than $22,000) in dowry, defended his decision to marry off his 11-year-old daughter even though his wife vehemently objected.

"I don't care about her age," he told the paper. "Her health and her body build make her fit for marriage. I also don't care what her mother thinks."

The father added that marriage at such an early age has been a custom in the Saudi society for a very long time and that he saw no reason why it should be a problem now.

"This is a very old custom and there is nothing wrong with it whether religiously or socially."

Saudi Arabia's legal system is based on Islamic Shariah law, which is defined by the Quran and other Islamic texts. Judges are all Islamic scholars and, instead of adhering to a modern written body of laws, base their decisions on their own interpretations of these texts.

Help requested

The case of Aisha, known to Muslims as "The Mother of Believers," is often used by Saudi judges and clerics to justify child marriages.

The government's Human Rights Commission said it was following the Buraidah case, which is currently being weighed by a local court.

"The mother of the Buraidah girl asked for our help, requesting that we become involved to help her daughter in getting a divorce," commission head Bandar al-Aiban told AFP.

"The case is now in the hands of the legal authority, and I do not want to say anything before they make their decision, but I hope they will reach a decision very soon," he said.

The groom has expressed his surprise at how the media has leveled harsh criticism against him and his family for marrying the girl.

"It is very simple. We didn’t do anything wrong. It is a valid contract that meets all the conditions for marriage? What's the point of all this fuss?"

The groom has three other wives, all much younger, and they all have kids.

As for the bride, it is reported she repeatedly called for help and burst into tears.

"Save me. I don't want him," she cried.

http://www.naijapundit.com/news/mohammed-s-marriage-to-9-year-old-aisha-does-not-justify-child-marriage-today-sheikh-abdullah-al-man
Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by maclatunji: 2:09pm On Jul 29, 2013
^It is not a valid marriage because it is against the girl's wishes.

The Free Consent of the Parties

The Quran [4:21] refers to marriage as a mithaq, i.e. a solemn covenant or agreement between husband and wife, and enjoins that it be put down in writing. Since no agreement can be reached between the parties unless they give their consent to it, marriage can be contracted only with the free consent of the two parties. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said,

"The widow and the divorced woman shall not be married until their order is obtained, and the virgin shall not be married until her consent is obtained." [Bukhari]

This aspect is greatly emphasized by Imam Bukhari. He, in fact, gave one of the chapters in his Sahih the significant title:

"When a man gives his daughter in marriage and she dislikes it, the marriage shall be annulled." Once a virgin girl came to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and said that her father had married her to a man against her wishes. The Prophet gave her the right to repudiate the marriage. [Abu Dawud]

Divorced women are also given freedom to contract a second marriage. The Noble Quran says,

"And when you divorce women, and they have come to the end of their waiting period, hinder them not from marrying other men if they have agreed with each other in a fair manner." [Noble Quran 2:232]

With regard to widows, the Quran says,

"And if any of you die and leave behind wives, they bequeath thereby to their widows (the right to) one year's maintenance without their being obliged to leave (their husband's home), but if they leave (the residence) of their own accord, there is no blame on you for what they do with themselves in a lawful manner." [Noble Quran 2:234]

Thus widows are also at liberty to re-marry, even within the period mentioned above; and if they do so they must forgo their claim to traditional maintenance during the remainder of the year. However, it must be remembered that the power of ijbar given to the a father or the guardian by the Maliki school over their selection of life- partner obtains in all the situations considered above, namely, whether the daughter or the ward is a virgin or divorcee or widow.

http://www.islamswomen.com/marriage/intro_to_marriage.php
Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by stylesco: 3:03pm On Jul 29, 2013
Its a pity.
They chose the music and should dance to it.
Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by BetaThings: 3:45pm On Jul 29, 2013
maclatunji: ^It is not a valid marriage because it is against the girls wishes.
You are a killjoy!
You wickedly burst his bubble and took away a "scoop" which he scored after scouring the scary recesses of the net. I can see them posting with feverish gusto any story that is favourable about Islam!
If we post anything positive about Islam, they will impugn the integrity of the link and demand official documents as proof
You will soon see the traffic here swelling as if carrion is put out for vultures
Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by touchmehard: 3:55pm On Jul 29, 2013
maclatunji: ^It is not a valid marriage because it is against the girls wishes.

The newspaper reported that the marriage was sealed by a dowry payment and had been consummated.

The father, who took 85,000 riyals (more than $22,000) in dowry, defended his decision to marry off his 11-year-old daughter even though his wife vehemently objected.

Did you not read this part?
Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by siddiq202(m): 4:08pm On Jul 29, 2013
touch_me_hard:

Did you not read this part?
He has given you the position of Islam on the matter.
It doesnt matter if people think they have a valid marriage. As long as the girl is against it, the marriage is invalid!!!

1 Like

Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by basilico: 6:31pm On Jul 29, 2013
Actually I like this sheikh. He confirms as a muslim scholar that Aisha was 9 at the age of consumation. In so many threads here muslims have twisted her age to more than 18 or so although other candid ones have postulated that gals in those days of malnutrition and zam zam water shortages then matured earlier than todays well fed garri kids.
Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by basilico: 8:11pm On Jul 29, 2013
Why is it only here that so many posts are hidden. I posted about how then in a dry land why a water barren land like Arabia gals matured se.x.ually earlier than our garri plus formulae fed kids today. Save this quickly before its hidden.
Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by LagosShia: 9:00pm On Jul 29, 2013
basilico: Actually I like this sheikh. He confirms as a muslim scholar that Aisha was 9 at the age of consumation. In so many threads here muslims have twisted her age to more than 18 or so although other candid ones have postulated that gals in those days of malnutrition and zam zam water shortages then matured earlier than todays well fed garri kids.

Obviously this sheikh decided to accept narrations (others view as baseless) to accept that Aisha was 9 year old when she got married.as I have stated and explained in the below thread,historical facts convincingly point out that Aisha was not 9 year without shadow of doubt:

https://www.nairaland.com/1366430/muslims-reject-child-marriage-absolve/1

As also explained and stated in the above thread,some muslims accept Aisha's age to have been 9 at the time of her marriage for certain reasons.so the case of Aisha have nothing to do with this subject at all,even though Islam does not set an age but guidelines to determine the age that an individual female can be deemed mature for marriage.

It is also funny how this saudi wahhabi sunni sheikh gave the same reason and idea that I-a Shia Muslim- gave for rejecting child marriage: times have changed and the motives that existed for early marriages in the past don't exist in our time.others were just screaming that I'm opposing what Islam "permits" when that was not the case.Islam sets the guidelines that when a girl is physically and mentally mature she can get married.maturity differs from person to person.however there is no harm for a girl to remain unmarried for few years after "maturity" to build her future (like getting sound higher level education) in this our age.trying to point out to christians who have made this subject their issue and headache,that Mary (as) was 12 years when she conceived is futile.early marriage in the past was due to famine,high mortality,need for procreation,need for laborers on farms,and to protect chastity.these motives are not in place in our time.therefore those who use or rather abuse Islam for their desires should stop it,and we as muslims must stand against them to protect our image in modern times.islam is a religion for all times and therefore there is nothing in Islam that stops muslims from progressing and moving ahead with humanity,or even in fact to take the lead to move humanity forward in different times,places and circumstances.
Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by basilico: 12:55am On Jul 30, 2013
Now Lagosshia i am hoping you are on you are the next flight to explain to this sheikh who is a scholar in Islam that Aisha was not nine at consumation. I dey tired of beating this horse.or are you a better scholar than he?
Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by basilico: 1:11am On Jul 30, 2013
And Mr Lagosshia maybe you can also tell us why your topmost ayatollah Khomeini cleric of shia married a gal of 10 while he was 28 then he lowered the maritable age to 9. And also explain why he decreed that a gal can be married before that age and can be entered in the backdoor. Over to you and i am sure to never hear from you unless you divert the topic by say bringing in the bible for instance . You more knowledgeable than the ayatollah who wanted Rushdie dead for saying that shaytan put verses in your prophets mouth? Know arabic more than him? Or you better knowhow than sahìh bukhari whom ill debunk your lies in the name of taqqiya or kitman or dawah? Man up toe to toe wid me if you got balls oga.
Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by usermane(m): 6:47am On Jul 30, 2013
Oh, am a bit too late for this. But it doesn't change a thing, i 'll still drop my 2 cents.
These all started with Mr. Ahmed Sani Yerima 's controversial marriage to a 13 year old GIRL. And now, here we got a worse scenario in a country that claim to be so Islamic, so pure.
Obviously marriage is intended for Men and women, not boys and girls. A female of 9,11, or 13 is still a girl.
I do not want to believe that Aisha(R.A) married at 6 or consumated her marriage at 9. Anyone who agrees with such a hadith should think again. A prophet wouldn't do such a lustful thing. And that is why we got two kind of Muslims, those who the hadith books mean everything to and those who the hadith books doesn't mean a damn thing to.
This is child abuse. A lot of muslims might justify these acts defending that it serve to protect the chastity of the young girls whose non muslim counterparts are found unchaste long before their adulthood. See i don't buy any of these excuses, child marriage(forced or not) has it fair share of demerits, nobody should promote it, especially at this age, there is more to life of a girl than chastity,marriage and children. Time has changed, people don't need to embrace the current trend of immorality but people ought to Say NO to what the likes of Yerima is doing in this day and age. Deal with that.
Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by usermane(m): 9:09am On Jul 30, 2013
Now Readers, why don't we have a closer examination of this saudi paper headline provided this news is verified. Put aside the fact that child marriage is illegal, picture this, a forcefully married girl, a weak and saddened mom, a mean and unconcerned dad and an insensitive but self centered suitor. Put all these together, u 'll have one big unhappy family. Is this Islam?. Really, really, really Well, only those who live in denial would accept this,finding one or two lame explanations to condone it. The same people who can't live in unislamic states,the same people who describe themselves as the best in line with God 's verses shouldn't back up such unholy behaviours.
The world is watching and listening, nothing can be hidden for so long because of the internet. The only impression it gives non muslims is that
Islam is one hell of a male dominant faith,with no regard for women 's preference or choice and not even me can tolerate such a primitive religion.
This kind of marriages are common in muslim countries and even in northern Nigeria yet muslims keep wondering why non muslims pay deaf ears to their invitations. It doesn't even help to know that there are lot of authentic hadiths depowering and devalueing women. Muslims clearly still have cleaning up to do, a lot of cleaning up that require way more than several brooms and dusters. A true religion should be all about God 's word and not a blend of God 's word with a cultural/ancestoral tradition.
An Islamic convert once said "If I had learnt Islam From The Muslims, I Would Never Have Become A Muslim".
Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by LagosShia: 10:56am On Jul 30, 2013
basilico: Now Lagosshia i am hoping you are on you are the next flight to explain to this sheikh who is a scholar in Islam that Aisha was not nine at consumation. I dey tired of beating this horse.or are you a better scholar than he?

Shut-up.open the link I posted earlier.there are two scholars quoted in voice and text stating facts recorded that Aisha was not 9 year old.
Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by BetaThings: 10:56am On Jul 30, 2013
siddiq202:
He has given you the position of Islam on the matter.
It doesnt matter if people think they have a valid marriage. As long as it is against the girl's wish, the marriage is invalid!!!
Salaam
This is actually similar to the ruling by a judge declaring invalid Jonathan's appointment of service chiefs without senate confirmation
Invalid is INVALID

BTW the Prophet (SAW) married publicly. His enemies did not raise any objection
1400 years later, Nigerian Christians want to go to court over the matter. They are welcome

Bur if they are very concerned about fairness, corporeal punishment etc I would expect them
(a) to protest whenever a muslim girl is flogged for wearing hijab (flogging is corporeal punishment)
(b) help the Lagos ministry of women affairs and DPP to explore how to clear the backlog of cases of molestation of underage girls (and I do mean a lot of girls who don't have a clue as to what happened) to bring the perpetrators (majority of whom they will be embarrassed to know sgare certain things with them) to justice.
That will be real, sincere and believable contribution to justice

1 Like

Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by LagosShia: 11:02am On Jul 30, 2013
basilico: And Mr Lagosshia maybe you can also tell us why your topmost ayatollah Khomeini cleric of shia married a gal of 10 while he was 28 then he lowered the maritable age to 9. And also explain why he decreed that a gal can be married before that age and can be entered in the backdoor. Over to you and i am sure to never hear from you unless you divert the topic by say bringing in the bible for instance . You more knowledgeable than the ayatollah who wanted Rushdie dead for saying that shaytan put verses in your prophets mouth? Know arabic more than him? Or you better knowhow than sahìh bukhari whom ill debunk your lies in the name of taqqiya or kitman or dawah? Man up toe to toe wid me if you got balls oga.

You are talking nonsense.

Ayatollah Khomeni was 28 and his wife was 16 at the time of marriage.

Ayatollah Khomeini was born in 1902 when the age of consent even in america and europe was at 10 year of age.

Must we continue living in the past? Islam says when a girl is physically and mentally mature she can get married.the motives that existed back then for early marriage don't exist today.is a 10 year old girl in our time seen or accepted as mentally mature,even if she is physically mature,as physical maturity differs from person to person?

As for your profanity you should ashamed of yourself.is this what christianity teaches you?

1 Like

Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by basilico: 9:16pm On Jul 30, 2013
Stop your lies She was 10. And that green book of his that ordered age of marriage to be at least 9. That green book contents are too raunchy to be even quoted here. In summary according to bukhari Aisha was married at 6 and "broken" at 9.
LagosShia:

You are talking nonsense.

Ayatollah Khomeni was 28 and his wife was 16 at the time of marriage.

Ayatollah Khomeini was born in 1902 when the age of consent even in america and europe was at 10 year of age.

Must we continue living in the past? Islam says when a girl is physically and mentally mature she can get married.the motives that existed back then for early marriage don't exist today.is a 10 year old girl in our time seen or accepted as mentally mature,even if she is physically mature,as physical maturity differs from person to person?

As for your profanity you should ashamed of yourself.is this what christianity teaches you?
Re: Mohammed's Marriage To 9yr Old Aisha Doesn't Justify Child Marriage Today-sheikh by LagosShia: 11:28am On Jul 31, 2013
basilico: Stop your lies She was 10. And that green book of his that ordered age of marriage to be at least 9. That green book contents are too raunchy to be even quoted here. In summary according to bukhari Aisha was married at 6 and "broken" at 9.

Ayatollah Khomeini did not have a "green book".you are mistaken him for Qaddafi.it was Qaddafi who wrote a "green book". grin

"In 1929,[4] Khomeini married Khadijeh Saqafi,[209] the 16 year old daughter of a cleric in Tehran. By all accounts their marriage was harmonious and happy.[209] She died in 2009.[210] They had seven children, though only five survived infancy. His daughters all married into either merchant or clerical families, and both his sons entered into religious life."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhollah_Khomeini#Family_and_descendants

(1) (Reply)

In Ede, Osun State, A Fraud Is Underway In The Name Of Xtianity / Who Can Explain This To Me? / Nouman Ali Khan, Popular Islamic Scholar, Accused Of Extramarital Affairs.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.