Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,862 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? (5248 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Launches Nigerian-Made Buses For Mass Transit - Pictured / Black Igbo Month Dr Felix Oragwu Who Invented The Famous Biafra Mass Killer Bomb / Say One Or Two Good Thing About A Tribe Other Than Yours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by DaLover(m): 11:04pm On Jul 30, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: No it is not? Urbanisation and Industrialisation has to be targeted and designated to a specific sector of any country's economy.

Agriculture is central to any economy survival. Never underestimate agriculture, besides you have the environmental externalities that are attributed to mass urbanization and industrialization that are negative with health implication.
what da hell are you talking about? whats with this agriculture people always talk about but want others to participate in? Like I said there is a big difference between abject poverty and rural living, there is also a big difference subsistence farming resulting from abject poverty and large scale farming!
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by DaLover(m): 11:09pm On Jul 30, 2013
odumchi: I don't think most of you guys understand the real dangers of industrialization and urbanization. I'm not saying that we shouldn't urbanize ir industrialize, rather I think that such things should be limited to certain areas. Like someone said, urbanization is not the same as development. A rural community can still be developed without being turned into a city. In Afam's words, "God forbid a Nigeria without villages."

I honestly don't want my own rural community to become a city. I don't want us to be outnumbered by foreigners (as in the cases of Aba, Onitsha, Lagos and etc.). I want my community to remain the place where I can go to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. If development is to come, let it come in the form of roads, schools, electricity and pipe-borne water. We don't need large factories or mills. I'd prefer my community to be rural or suburban, but never urban.

As for employment, I think that in every refion, governments should designate specific sites to concentrate commercial and industrial development. An example of what I'm saying is my current suburban community. Although not fully urbanized, we are not impoverished or undeveloped. We have all the amenities that urban dwellers have, but at the same time we haven't sacrificed tranquility and order. Most of our employed citizenry work in the nearest urban center which is 25 miles away.

A surburb like you are refering to is an extension to an urban area, it is not a rural area
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by FelixL(m): 12:55am On Jul 31, 2013
Rural area means boring monoculture and sitting every day behind dirty windows in sticky cars. Town means biodiversity and riding a bicycle in the open. (Just my personal point of view as eurolander.)
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by abenabisa: 8:43am On Jul 31, 2013
Apple iPhone 5s realize in close of September!
foxconn Hiring 90k employers for making iPhone and advertising Apple Company and making low price mobiles!
Read more » http://www.iafrica.tv/?p=21184
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by odumchi: 8:07pm On Jul 31, 2013
This is exactly what's happening in Lagos.
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by koolnd: 12:37am On Apr 10, 2019
Youth Urbanization a Bane to Food Production and Agricultural Development in Nigeria: A Case Study of Anambra State.

Urbanization is growing in both less-developed and more developed countries. Urbanization is the shift from a rural to an urban society, bringing a large concentration of people into towns and cities. This process usually occurs when a nation is still developing,,,

http://www.scharticles.com/youth-urbanization-a-bane-to-food-production-and-agricultural-development-in-nigeria/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Derin Ologbenla / BEAUTIFUL Northern Nigerian Women (PICS & VIDEO) / Africa NightLife/Night clubs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.