Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

"Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? (8037 Views)

Pregnant Wife Dumps Hubby , Elopes With Lover To USA (Pictured) / Does This Kind Of Love Still Exists? / Given A 2nd Chance, Would You Still Marry Your Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Nobody: 9:47am On Jul 31, 2013
Chillisauce:

Odi egwu!

After now u go start checking the prices on Internet!

tongue

You think you're funny, eh?
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Princesszoe: 10:03am On Jul 31, 2013
Ujujoan:

You are right, love is EVERYTHING . . .

The problem is that most people mistake lust for love these days, that's why they are advised not to marry out of 'love'!

Without love, a marriage cannot succeed . . . . but only REAL love stands the test of time.

On my wedding day, I read from the scripture where men were advised to love their wives the way Christ loves the church. So much more that he was willing to give up his life for our sake.

That kind of love does not come overnight. you can only build that kind of love with someone you trust and respect. Someone you value like a friend . . .
What a food for thought! Ujujoan am loyal. You just said it all.
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Nobody: 10:17am On Jul 31, 2013
Chillisauce: Mgbeketoto, you make so much sense but this your user name na wa!

Very funny!

A post marry your lover and friend.....not your fvck mate!

If you can't find any, marry your friend , then look for fvck mate tongue.

Life is short!

simply put!
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Nobody: 10:28am On Jul 31, 2013
So people here would even cheat on their "friends".
I pity those who consider you friends.
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by bigheart2013(m): 10:36am On Jul 31, 2013
Gaggi: "...... It's better to be without a woman than a troublesome one...."[color=#990000][/color]

Why do I suddenly feel like standing up and clapping for that quote?grin grin grin cheesy cheesy

Yoooooo! Ok now I know why .......I love peace of mind more than anything. Okay let me clap for that quote now.. cool cool cool grin
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by bigheart2013(m): 10:52am On Jul 31, 2013
sleekdot: ...If the 6 packs turn to potbelly, If the firm boobbs turn to slippers, If the smooth skin becomes wrinkled...

grin tongue grin....hahahahaha! So why do people put in all these efforts...pumping muscles, going on date with Porsche cars, keeping nice apartment, dressing beyond budget, taking enhancement drugs, brea**st implant, b**tt augmentation tights, push-up bra, false eyelashes, Brazilian hairs, etc just to attract fake people in their lives?...using your own hard-earned cash to buy trouble?...... grin

I recommend every African mother must read this story to her little daughter: "How A Lazy Trickster Married A Princess" - Chapter Seven on this book I found on internet - African Bedtime Stories (1).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NFLB5S/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb

The lesson: Too high expectations and materialism erodes values. And you wonder why celebrity marriages crash within months despite all the wealth they seem to have...a Must read for kids..Values! values!! values!!!, people.
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Woged2005(f): 11:04am On Jul 31, 2013
bigheart2013:

grin tongue grin....hahahahaha! So why do people put in all these efforts...just to attract fake people in their lives?...using your own hard-earned cash to buy trouble?...... grin

I recommend every African mother must read this story to her little daughter: "How A Lazy Trickster Married A Princess" - Chapter Seven on this book I found on internet - African Bedtime Stories (1).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NFLB5S/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb

The lesson: Too high expectations and materialism erodes values. And you wonder why celebrity marriages crash within months despite all the wealth they seem to have...a Must read for kids..Values! values!! values!!!, people.

@Bigheart, I read the bedtime story too from the link you forwarded, but bear in mind that some good people can fall preys too...like married African men abroad going back home to marry young girls and getting them pregnant there, and lying to them about delayed immigration papers being the reason they can't travel abroad, when in actual sense they have families abroad. U see good people can fall victim too grin
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Woged2005(f): 12:48pm On Jul 31, 2013
Ujujoan:

I'm not saying true love is only sanctioned in a church, I was only making reference to that scripture so you will have a better understanding of the kind of love required in a marriage.

Ok. I understand. Though I wonder where that kind of love can be found today...A rare blessing to find these days. sometime too I wonder why pastors and brothers who preach same Love in the church always marry the most beautiful out-going sisters, and not the k-legged prayer warriors who do the spiritual battles behind?.... grin I guess modern love can be 'channeled' to where ur mind is...

1 Like

Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 31, 2013
Woged2005:

Ok. I understand. Though I wonder where that kind of love can be found today...A rare blessing to find these days. sometime too I wonder why pastors and brothers who preach same Love in the church always marry the most beautiful out-going sisters, and not the k-legged prayer warriors who do the spiritual battles behind?.... grin I guess modern love can be 'channeled' to where ur mind is...

Isn't that the problem with the world today? There's just not enough love . . . Today's world is every man for himself and this ideology is transferred into marriages. Little wonder homes are breaking up!

I guess to find real happiness one has to search for real love . . not marrying for looks or money or lust, but marrying for LOVE!

I believe that no matter how badly matched a couple might appear to be, with love and understanding, they can make it work!

1 Like

Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 31, 2013
I must confess, I learn a lot from Calloti, even though sometimes she's just lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
But she's a very wise woman and I respect her a lot.
Her contributions on this thread are priceless.
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by bigheart2013(m): 2:24pm On Jul 31, 2013
Ujujoan:

Isn't that the problem with the world today? There's just not enough love . . . Today's world is every man for himself and this ideology is transferred into marriages. Little wonder homes are breaking up!

I guess to find real happiness one has to search for real love . . not marrying for looks or money or lust, but marrying for LOVE!

I believe that no matter how badly matched a couple might appear to be, with love and understanding, they can make it work!

One of the leading causes of breakups is 'Personal Insecurity' also called 'low Self-esteem' too. Some people bring their baggage and issues into marriage and judge according to their past and personal experiences rather than loosen up and enjoy the moment. I know a lady who had a perfect marriage but couldn't stop sneaking on her husband's emails, texts, even sniffing boxers and panties daily. She did it for months till she found something that made her unhappy. Their problem started from that. I call it 'trying hard and making great efforts to find unhappiness'. You'll surely find one. "trouble dey sleep, iyanaga go wake am.." cheesy
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by bukatyne(f): 2:25pm On Jul 31, 2013
Ujujoan:

You are right, love is EVERYTHING . . .

The problem is that most people mistake lust for love these days, that's why they are advised not to marry out of 'love'!

Without love, a marriage cannot succeed . . . . but only REAL love stands the test of time.

On my wedding day, I read from the scripture where men were advised to love their wives the way Christ loves the church. So much more that he was willing to give up his life for our sake.

That kind of love does not come overnight. you can only build that kind of love with someone you trust and respect. Someone you value like a friend . . .

Uju, you hit the nail on the head kiss kiss kiss kiss

A lot of us do not know what true/genuine love really means.

I cor 13: 1 - 8 outlines it.

@OP,

Lover has always meant bedmate or se.x partner.

Your proverb can translate to 'marry your friend and not your se.x partner'

There are friends take stick closer than family members, that really love their friends and die for them. David and Jonathan in the Bible exhibited such friendship
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Woged2005(f): 10:16pm On Jul 31, 2013
bukatyne:

Uju, you hit the nail on the head kiss kiss kiss kiss

A lot of us do not know what true/genuine love really means.

I cor 13: 1 - 8 outlines it.

@OP,

Lover has always meant bedmate or se.x partner.

Your proverb can translate to 'marry your friend and not your se.x partner'

There are friends take stick closer than family members, that really love their friends and die for them. David and Jonathan in the Bible exhibited such friendship

But the word 'Lover' is from 'Love'. Are we finally admitting somehow that it's not a practical word?
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by maclatunji: 11:02am On Aug 01, 2013
vivianc: Love is not enough for marriage, marriage is beyond romance and mushiness. Its more practical than these.........

If the sole reason you wanna marry someone is because you are insanely in love with the person and you over look some vital issues, those issues will come back and frustrates your love.

Who is a friend? I think a friend is someone you often agree with because he/she is a lot more like you. Practically, I have realised that for you to be friends with someone, there must be a part of you that's in that person. And yes, often times we fall in love with people that's entirely opposite us which brings about untold friction in that relationship. While our heads are screening "get out now before its too late!" Our hearts are saying "love conquers all, love would make everything alright, there is no perfect person out there."

Well, I have got some news for you; love doesn't make somethings alright! Rather it gets frustrated!

No matter how much you melt in his/her arms, if you guys are opposite of each in a not so good way, it might not work.

My opinion.

Gbam x 100000000000000000000000000000000
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Nobody: 11:13am On Aug 01, 2013
Teacher don't Teach me Nonsense.

When you genuinely Love somebody and the feeling is mutual....... I don't see what storm you wont overcome.... I don't see myself sharing same feeling with my best friend since KG2 ( we talk everyday)

Or even share same feeling with my Dad I love ( diff way) to bits.

To each and his owns. Speak for yourselves. cool
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by bukatyne(f): 11:20am On Aug 01, 2013
Woged2005:

But the word 'Lover' is from 'Love'. Are we finally admitting somehow that it's not a practical word?

Love is not a word, it is an action.

How do you know your parents love you? Their actions right? cheesy

However, the word 'love' itself has been abused. You hear of love-child (children born out of adultery like adultery is a good thing), love-sick, love-struck etc. The word 'lover' actually connotes the negative: According to google,

A person having a sexual or romantic relationship with someone, esp. outside marriage (and we know that all sex outside marriage are sins)

If you are a Christian, read I Cor 13: 1 - 8 to know what God means by love. All other definitions na wash!

It's well cheesy
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by bukatyne(f): 11:23am On Aug 01, 2013
vivianc: Love is not enough for marriage, marriage is beyond romance and mushiness. Its more practical than these.........

If the sole reason you wanna marry someone is because you are insanely in love with the person and you over look some vital issues, those issues will come back and frustrates your love.

Who is a friend? I think a friend is someone you often agree with because he/she is a lot more like you. Practically, I have realised that for you to be friends with someone, there must be a part of you that's in that person. And yes, often times we fall in love with people that's entirely opposite us which brings about untold friction in that relationship. While our heads are screening "get out now before its too late!" Our hearts are saying "love conquers all, love would make everything alright, there is no perfect person out there."

Well, I have got some news for you; love doesn't make somethings alright! Rather it gets frustrated!

No matter how much you melt in his/her arms, if you guys are opposite of each in a not so good way, it might not work.

My opinion.

Lol!

Love is not mushy mushy feelings... It's more of the sex.ual part of it. I am sure mothers don't feel mushy towards their kids

Love is all a couple need to surmount everything in life

I Cor 13: 1 - 8
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Sissie(f): 11:40am On Aug 01, 2013
LOVE CONQUERS ALL!!! This is one of the biggest myth about love.
#myopinion.
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Nobody: 11:56am On Aug 01, 2013
Way of Love 1cor13:7

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.= Test of Marriage

Not a big fan of quoting bible verses cos of diff meaning... By the way that verse is exactly what some Nlers blame mothers teaching their married daughters to emulate = Endurance.

Abi 'To endure all things' = Abuse inclusive? or are we to edit that part?

Anyways like I've stated, To each and his owns.
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by bukatyne(f): 12:05pm On Aug 01, 2013
jidegirl12:
Way of Love 1cor13:7

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.= Test of Marriage

Not a big fan of quoting bible verses cos of diff meaning... By the way that verse is exactly what some Nlers blame mothers teaching their married daughters to emulate = Endurance.

Abi 'To endure all things' = Abuse inclusive? or are we to edit that part?

Anyways like I've stated, To each and his owns.

Funny, but this is actually the JD of a husband and not wife grin

Prov 31: 10 -31 would help wives.... wink

That said, there is knowledge, understanding and wisdom

Knowledge is knowing the 'something'
Understanding is applying the 'something' practically
Wisdom is knowing which 'something' to apply in each circumstances.

It's always good for one to be grounded in the whole word. Half knowledge or lack of it is dangerous (this is serious! Ayamba girls are dangerous...)
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 01, 2013
bukatyne:

That said, there is knowledge, understanding and wisdom

Knowledge is knowing the 'something'
Understanding is applying the 'something' practically
Wisdom is knowing which 'something' to apply in each circumstances.

Predictable !! I already knew that'll be the next response.

Anyhooo... As for 'knowing and application of that thing'' cheesy goes ....whatever works for anybody... I married my friendly lover sam sam. Ish

Funny, but this is actually the JD of a husband and not wife grin

Prov 31: 10 -31 would help wives.... wink

Mixup Mystification... Oh why I Love my go to Al-Qoran sometimes.
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by bukatyne(f): 12:25pm On Aug 01, 2013
jidegirl12:

Predictable !! I already knew that'll be the next response.

Anyhooo... As for 'knowing and application of that thing'' cheesy goes ....whatever works for anybody... I married my friendly lover sam sam. Ish

Mixup Mystification... Oh why I Love my go to Al-Qoran sometimes.

Eph 5:22

Husbands love your wives...
Wives submit to your husbands...

Truth is what is taught in most churches is more of cultural than religious. I always like to read the Bible myself and understand.

Are you a mind reader? grin
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by bigheart2013(m): 12:34pm On Aug 01, 2013
bukatyne:

If you are a Christian, read I Cor 13: 1 - 8 to know what God means by love. All other definitions na wash!

It's well cheesy

Ok. How then do we explain 'Love' to the teaming population of the world who are not Christians, obviously they don't read or believe in the bible? We need to start appreciating that we share this planet with a whole lot of other people and creatures, so that we don't keep justifying everything with the scripture. Unfortunately the most religious regions and country in the world have the most problems... Look at 'heavily religious' Nigeria Vs secular USA. Look at the heavily religious Middle East Vs Europe...so where is the love in this areas that preach it most? - Words!

I wanna be able to tell a teenager "hei make a left turn, you will see a red house, that's the shop"...and not "hei pray for guidance, you will get to the shop.." grin. I am definitely a practical Christian. That's how we got Aeroplanes, TVs and Cellphones....practicality! grin grin
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by bukatyne(f): 12:42pm On Aug 01, 2013
bigheart2013:

Ok. How then do we explain 'Love' to the teaming population of the world who are not Christians, obviously they don't read or believe in the bible? We need to start appreciating that we share this planet with a whole lot of other people and creatures, so that we don't keep justifying everything with the scripture. Unfortunately the most religious regions and country in the world have the most problems... Look at 'heavily religious' Nigeria Vs secular USA. Look at the heavily religious Middle East Vs Europe...so where is the love in this areas that preach it most? - Words!

I wanna be able to tell a teenager "hei make a left turn, you will see a red house, that's the shop"...and not "hei pray for guidance, you will get to the shop.." grin. I am definitely a practical Christian. That's how we got Aeroplanes, TVs and Cellphones....practicality! grin grin

Bros,

I am as practical as practical can be, Not perfect though grin Besides, it's the theory we have learnt we put into practice wink

Anyone is free to read that portion; that is the only definition I know...

Love is kind, patient, polite, not boastful, does not seek its own way, always hopeful etc. are simple enough to understand.
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Aug 02, 2013
Somtyms when I read a lot of comments here I really wonder y most people are not matured when it comes to marriages.Above all God is d ultimate match maker.There are no perfect human out dere.Everybody has it own flaws but when it comes to marriage weda lovers oh or friends dnt really count on because I blve an individual has an ability to pray for his or her spouse once u ave made up ur mind am doing dis u back it up wit prayers.Pray for him or her in way u want him or her to be and u see changes comes out so well just the way u lk it.I can remeber a friend of mine who dated sm guy for lk 6yrs d r d bst of lovers everyting u can tink of buh she married smone whom she just meant n 3mths.It happens dere is nothn like lovers and friends once God is involved n the matter ur marriage will def stand the taste of time.
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by bigheart2013(m): 12:51pm On Aug 02, 2013
ucgirl: ...Pray for him or her in way u want him or her to be and u see changes comes out so well just the way u lk it..

Wrong scripture sister!..God does not change, and God created man in His own image....so what does that tell you?

We Nigerians so much twist the scripture to suit our purpose and that's a leading cause of the chaos in that country. Please you can never marry anyone with the purpose of changing him/her (manipulation)to suit your taste. It's not even biblical. The word of God said God has created her from a man's rib (A perfect mate to that man meant for her)..there's nothing to change. If out of greed, materialism, arange-marriage, wana-go-oversea, over-sabi, or fake visions/prophesy from a pastor, etc she falls into the arms of a man who's not meant for her, the marriage will crash even if you pray till 100yrs. Nothing works against the will of God.

Why don't a woman with AS genotype, who married a man with AS genotype pray to God to change the man to AA?..wrong match! definitely not from his rib, and not the will of God. Please Nigerians read the entire bible and not just St. Paul's letters to Christians in Rome, Ephesus, Corinth, Hebrew..etc. SMH!
Re: "Marry Your Friend; Do Not Marry Your Lover": Please What Does This Phrase Mean? by Woged2005(f): 11:51pm On Oct 08, 2013
ucgirl: I blve an individual has an ability to pray for his or her spouse once u ave made up ur mind am doing dis u back it up wit prayers.Pray for him or her in way u want him or her to be and u see changes comes out so well just the way u lk it..

I think this approach is a bit dangerous. That's like marrying someone you don't know grin. You never marry people to change, improve, manipulate, or even intimidate them to change. Experience has shown that it fails woefully. You marry someone for whom he/she is, not what you expect him/her to change to or become in future...

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Open Communication In Marriage, A Plus Or Minus? / How To Control BED BUG / The Plight Of Nigerian Widows.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.