Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,304 members, 7,867,802 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 01:50 AM

World Most Dangerous Airports - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / World Most Dangerous Airports (35130 Views)

7 Most Dangerous Roads To Travel In Nigeria( SEE PHOTOS) / How Goodluck Jonathan Transformed Nigeria's Airports - Pics / 10 Largest Airports In The World As Seen From Above (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by Jccy(f): 4:27pm On Aug 01, 2013
Hear d name of d airport,,, lyk stamarra
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by themaskedman: 4:29pm On Aug 01, 2013
moscobabs: Intresting but Im not happy cos non of Nigeria Airport is there...waiting for The most dangerous Roads in The World ooo.maybe Nigeria roads will be there
Get the hell outa here.

2 Likes

Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by KayDee4: 4:30pm On Aug 01, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6raTmX6USTo

cheesy cheesy grin grin

Next time you see a "STOP" sign on a desolate road, stop and look up.
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by nerodenero: 4:39pm On Aug 01, 2013
mgbeketoto: Nigeria is not up there? grin
With cows grazing on tarmacs. . . or power failure at MMA. . .total BLACK OUT? shocked
This list remained invalid so long as none of our airport is included
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by IAMBREEZY: 5:03pm On Aug 01, 2013
Interesting...
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by Austeenxx: 5:22pm On Aug 01, 2013
Wow! shocked
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by mkmyers45(m): 5:41pm On Aug 01, 2013
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 01, 2013
R u a pilot
manny4life: Good to see that there are pilots in the house

I have flown this approach on simulator and not really hard though, wasn't difficult at all..

I tried this twice but did not succeed, crash before I could make the runway, anyway, never tried it again...
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by Anniettieufia(m): 6:16pm On Aug 01, 2013
Comparing the Kai- Kai Tak Airport , if there is a most stronger word to use than the word "dangerous" i would prefer.

Of a truth,
there should be nothing like crashlanding on Airport runways in Nigeria .
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by Nobody: 6:31pm On Aug 01, 2013
icebeatz: 8: Gustaf III Airport Saint Barthélemy
The small airport of Gustaf III, on the Caribbean island of Saint Barthélemy, provides pilots and passengers alike with some fairly grave dangers. The corridor in which the runway has been built is incredibly narrow, and planes come frighteningly close to hitting the slopes of the adjacent upland area, or plummeting into the ocean, every time they land.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by komek(m): 6:52pm On Aug 01, 2013
Na wa o, Thank God we dont have such things here. people would have been killed on daily basis cos of indiscipline
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by nas00(m): 7:26pm On Aug 01, 2013
moscobabs: Intresting but Im not happy cos non of Nigeria Airport is there...waiting for The most dangerous Roads in The World ooo.maybe Nigeria roads will be there

Bros, most dangerous roads no be by potholes o. So, you think we have dangerous roads in nigeria?
Well, maybe only the labyrinth of a road that leads to Mambilla Plateau from Gashaka in Taraba.

Are you new on NL?
Check out some of world's dangerous roads here:

https://www.nairaland.com/1092140/worlds-most-dangerous-roads-photos

Cheers!
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by Anvaller: 7:59pm On Aug 01, 2013
adaobi123: grin grin grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV28AL0k1kY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Tourist to St Maarten are specifically warned year in year out not to defy the runway but interestingly, many cocky headed tourists travel down to St Maarten to purposely go do exactly that.
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by manny4life(m): 8:12pm On Aug 01, 2013
Anvaller:

Tourist to St Maarten are specifically warned year in year out not to defy the runway but interestingly, many cocky headed tourists travel down to St Maarten to purposely go do exactly that.

Including me... On few occasion, I go to Reagan National, there's an observation park right before the runway "although HIGHLY SECURED", just when the airplane are feet away from touchdown, it's just too amazing to see their sight.. grin grin grin

peppy luv: R u a pilot

No I'm not, want to be one though... The licensing is super expensive.. embarassed embarassed

I just fly simulators grin
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by paul288yahoo(m): 8:32pm On Aug 01, 2013
mgbeketoto: Nigeria is not up there? grin
With cows grazing on tarmacs. . . or power failure at MMA. . .total BLACK OUT? shocked
grin grin grin
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by Emmancy: 9:32pm On Aug 01, 2013
Hmmmmm.... Very Interesting and Educative, Nigeria is still far from all those factors used to select the airports, like, weather, short runway, angle of landing, wind, terrain, mountain, nearness to beach etc.

1 Like

Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by Nuzo1(m): 10:11pm On Aug 01, 2013
Princess Julliana airport is one scary and dangerous sight to behold....but not as scary as the closed Kai Tak airport Hong kong.

Nat Geo documented the mega engineering and construction of the new Hong Kong Chep Lak airport and in the process showed how airplanes were meandering in between skyscrapers in the old kai Tak airport. It was shocking yet amazing!

That being said, I've been opportune to fly into the new Hong Kong airport situated in the middle of the sea a couple of times. One of the amazing sights I've ever set my eyes on...apart from Qatar mountain-lines (The Qatar mountain lines gave me a better understanding of why USA can never track the Talibans in the rocky mountains of Afganistan).

One man-made, the other nature. It gets you thinking a lot about your relevance on this big and mighty earth.
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by Nuzo1(m): 10:21pm On Aug 01, 2013
Emmancy: Hmmmmm.... Very Interesting and Educative, Nigeria is still far from all those factors used to select the airports, like, weather, short runway, angle of landing, wind, terrain, mountain, nearness to beach etc.

You are very right!

Most crash landings we have here in Nigeria are as a result of mechanical faults, cow obstruction grin, lousy pilot and slipery unmaintained runway.

...And witches? shocked angry
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by Nuzo1(m): 10:36pm On Aug 01, 2013
manny4life:
No I'm not, want to be one though... The licensing is super expensive.. embarassed embarassed

I just fly simulators grin

I had always wanted to be a pilot when I was a kid but my parents couldn't afford...plus fear catch me later. tongue
As a grown man now, I wouldn't mind learning to fly again at least for fun. I promise I wont purposely crash into any tower for any reason. angry

Please you, Jakumo and icebeatz should provide me with details on how to go about this...starting with 'simulator'.

Please be aware that tho I might be good with video games, I've stopped it long ago cos of the undue tensions it gives me.

Is flying a plane or simulator like playing games? shocked sad
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by Nobody: 11:09pm On Aug 01, 2013
Nuzo':

I had always wanted to be a pilot when I was a kid but my parents couldn't afford...plus fear catch me later. tongue
As a grown man now, I wouldn't mind learning to fly again at least for fun. I promise I wont purposely crash into any tower for any reason. angry

Please you, Jakumo and icebeatz should provide me with details on how to go about this...starting with 'simulator'.

Please be aware that tho I might be good with video games, I've stopped it long ago cos of the undue tensions it gives me.

Is flying a plane or simulator like playing games? shocked sad

First of all, having a passion for flying is really cool.
Most folks think its too risky but for me, music and aviation is my life.

There are several stages involved in achieving your dream.

Since you said you want to become a pilot... even though its not commercial right?

First of all, you need what we call PPL (private pilot license)
This license would permit you to actually fly a plane but you are not allowed to have passengers or do it for monetary benefits.... Get a PPL could cost you as much as 2 million naira. Most aviation schools will let you pay installmentally though...

If you intend to go further and maybe fly for money or become a flight instructor or airline pilot, then the next stage is a MUST!

- CPL (Commercial pilot License)
This license comes after you must have attained your PPL.
It permits you to fly for hire or render your piloting skill for money.

BRB....
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by manny4life(m): 11:11pm On Aug 01, 2013
Depending on the type of simulator, you will feel realistic effect. For instance, MS Flight Simulator is a game but simulates real life flying. I'm driving at the moment I would explain in detail when I get in.
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by manny4life(m): 12:27am On Aug 02, 2013
@Icebeatz has answered how to go about it, the first license to start out your PPL (40hrs minimum). Before you begin flight, you must have a "medical certificate" approved by the authority before flight training will begin. After medical certification that you're ok, you can go ahead and apply to Ground school and also apply for a flight lessons. Most Flight schools build on block of hours because of FAA or governing requirements. After each block, your instructor will move you onto the next level till your final phase. As a Private Pilot leaner, you will act as PIC (pilot in command, obviously under the instructors supervision, you will fly SOLO, you will fly at night etc), so it's really FUNNN. While flying depending on the type of aircraft, you may be directly introduced into the modern "glass cockpit" where everything is computerized, so this brings the fun into flying.

After all said an done, you will take the written test which tests your aeronautical knowledge. Basic aeronautical knowledge include topics covered in ground school like, theory of aerodynamics such as four flight factors, navigation, weather, weight/balance, etc blah, blah, blah... Very easy, nothing complicated. After you pass the written exam, the next is the practical test where you and an FAA designated examiner will fly (check ride)- this is an oral hands-on version of the test. Kind of like how you go for your road test, same rule... He will ask you questions pertaining to pre- and post-flight, and majorly observe all your process during flight. He will give you directions during flight (listen attentively and follow as told). This is a Pass/Fail.

After you done with the most basic, next is the add on ratings, preferably, you want to add on Instrument Rating under IFR + Multi Engine, this is all under the PPL license. Now if you want to fly for fun, this will be perfect, but keep in mind, like @icebeatz said, PPL has limitations...So heck, go for CPL(single and ME) and as well fly for hire. The problem with flying is that it's VERY EXPENSIVE, to get my basic PPL cost me about $70/hr all fees NOT included.

This is my two cents
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by imperiouxx(m): 1:10am On Aug 02, 2013
Anvaller:

Yes you're right. That's the only sight attraction in St Maarten Island. Planes landing closer to people's heads and jet engines of taking off planes blowing nearby crowd. I wish to be there, to catch some fun under landing planes.
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by DrTee1(m): 8:11am On Aug 02, 2013

Is this all that U can churn out of your mind You read through the worst things about airports in the world and U didn't find any African aorport, not to talk of Nigerian and ur ignoble brain is wishing evil for your, not our, country abi?

Shior!

Musco or mucus or what is your moniker? U seem to have mucus in your cerebrum!
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by Burger01(m): 8:28am On Aug 02, 2013
berem: This is fuccking scary! Imagine such in Nigeria, you will see people trying to throw stones at the plane. dammit!!

Who would wait to throw stone? People would scram thinking the plane is crash landing. grin
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by Beaf1: 12:04pm On Aug 02, 2013
For the "Kai Tak" airport in Hong Kong I guess the pilots will require some wraps of kai kai in the morning before taking off? cheesy
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by Sweetlemon(f): 12:47pm On Aug 02, 2013
Goose bumps all over my skin
Like seriously! Some people don't value their lives
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by chillbabe(f): 6:06pm On Aug 02, 2013
adaobi123:
Princess Juliana International Airport

Simpson Bay, Saint Maarten

That's the airport they make a stop over when I go to my eiland Curacao. Am telling u its very scary when taking off u see the mountain right in front of u.
Re: World Most Dangerous Airports by jpphilips(m): 6:09pm On Aug 04, 2013
Beaf!:
For the "Kai Tak" airport in Hong Kong I guess the pilots will require some wraps of kai kai in the morning before taking off? cheesy

is that late beef?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Passenger Falls Out Of Plane / CBD Operatives Arrest Miscreants Hidden In A Truck Transporting Goods To Lagos / Picture Of Train Passing Through A Rural Community In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.