Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,060 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Control A Rat With Your Mind - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Control A Rat With Your Mind (20575 Views)

How To Make A Rat FUD / Strange Rat With Vampire Teeth (Pictures) / Leucistic Texas Rat White Snake (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Control A Rat With Your Mind by ciphoenix: 8:13am On Aug 01, 2013
Harvard scientists have created an interface that allows humans to move a rat's tail just by thinking about it.

We're not quite at the stage where we can communicate brain to brain with our fellow humans quite yet — but we may be on our way to communicating with other animals. Or at least controlling them, thanks to a new, non-invasive interface developed by scientists at Harvard Medical School.

A team led by assistant professor of radiology Seung-Schik Yoo has created a brain-to-brain interface (BBI) that allows a human controller to move a portion of a rat's body just by thinking about it — all without invasive surgical implants.

Brain-to-computer interfaces (BCI) are becoming more common; that is, an interface that allows a human to control a computer or gadget with thought using electroencephalography (EEG). A bi-directional interface — one that allows communication from the computer back into the brain — is a little trickier; without applying some sort of physical stimulation, it's impossible for a computer to force a brain to send out the signals that control limb movement, for example.

This is where focused ultrasound (FUS) comes in. This delivers focused acoustic energy to a specific point; it's usually used to heat and destroy diseased or damaged tissue, such as tumours, in hard-to-reach places, such as the deeper regions of the brain. Yoo's team, however, has found that a lower-intensity blast can be used to stimulate brain tissue without damaging it.

So here's how it works. The human controller is hooked up to an EEG-based BCI, while the rat is hooked up to an FUS-based computer-to-brain interface (CBI). The process starts with Steady State Visually Evoked Potentials — the human views an image of a circle flashing in a specific pattern. This generates electrical brain activity in the same frequency. When this activity is detected by the BCI, it sends a command to the CBI, which in turn sends FUS into the region of the rat's brain that controls its tail, causing it to move.

Using six different human subjects and six different rat subjects, the team achieved a success rate of 94 per cent, with a time delay of 1.59 ± 1.07 seconds between user intention and the rat's response.

This isn't the first time that brain-to-brain communication has been successfully achieved with rats. Earlier this year, Miguel Nicolelis at the Duke University Medical Center developed a BBI that allowed rats to transmit their thoughts to each other. http://www.cnet.com.au/scientists-give-rats-brain-to-brain-communication-339343529.htm

What could you do with a mind-controlled animal? Well, our first thought was little monkey butlers, but, on a more practical level, they could be used for environmental surveillance and search and rescue. It's still very early days yet, though. We hope that's enough time to iron out the ethical concerns.

You can read the entire study, "Non-Invasive Brain-to-Brain Interface (BBI): Establishing Functional Links between Two Brains" on http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0060410

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaJjHgyHnEc

http://m.cnet.com.au/control-a-rat-with-your-mind-339345047.htm?redir=1

1 Like

Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by Shugamania(f): 9:22am On Aug 01, 2013
Hmm.
Reminds me of that series - 'fringe'.....and Matt Parkman in 'Heroes'.

How're you, Ciphoenix? Been a while.

1 Like

Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by ciphoenix: 5:00pm On Aug 01, 2013
Brown sugar smiley I've been good, extremely busy too. You?

1 Like

Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by Fazhy: 5:32pm On Aug 01, 2013
Hmmm. Okay oooo.

Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by BabaEleko(m): 5:33pm On Aug 01, 2013
Yo! Booked
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 01, 2013
Baba God, God bless you God

1 Like

Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by lifestyle1(m): 5:35pm On Aug 01, 2013
undecided
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 01, 2013
that's for a start, really nice. till when its improved so I can control GEJ's

3 Likes

Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by Nobody: 5:36pm On Aug 01, 2013
Na only the tail go move Why not the whole body so you can pursue all the rats from your house gringrin

10 Likes

Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by maclatunji: 5:36pm On Aug 01, 2013
The rate at which technology is going is quite breathtaking. Impossibilities are becoming yesterday's technology.

3 Likes

Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by Nobody: 5:36pm On Aug 01, 2013
Promhize: Baba God, God bless you God
undecided
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by mkmyers45(m): 5:36pm On Aug 01, 2013
Impressive science but i'm sure the ethical trumpeters wont let it see the light of day

1 Like

Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by mkmyers45(m): 5:37pm On Aug 01, 2013
Promhize: Baba God, God bless you God

undecided undecided
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by henryvirus(m): 5:37pm On Aug 01, 2013
intresting...though i'ld prefer to control banks ATM wiv my mind.

Nd maybe control some specific leaders' minds in Nigeria to do d common man's wish.

1 Like

Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by Seyixyz: 5:37pm On Aug 01, 2013
Now,dis is crazy
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by Proffdada: 5:38pm On Aug 01, 2013
pied piper na dem baba
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by 190: 5:38pm On Aug 01, 2013
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by HealthKelvin: 5:39pm On Aug 01, 2013

1 Like

Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 01, 2013
I need the one wey i go fit use control girl..o boy see groove
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by ciphoenix: 5:41pm On Aug 01, 2013
mkmyers45: Impressive science but i'm sure the ethical trumpeters wont let it see the light of day

True. They're at ease now because procedure isn't invasive yet
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by dridowu: 5:41pm On Aug 01, 2013
good evening
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by Blackteeth(m): 5:43pm On Aug 01, 2013
And you guys are here talking igbo and yoruba tribal nonsense while others outside are busy working. Shame on you guys.
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by ciphoenix: 5:43pm On Aug 01, 2013
Baybe: Na only the tail go move Why not the whole body so you can pursue all the rats from your house gringrin
They'll get there cheesy
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by xynerise: 5:43pm On Aug 01, 2013
Prof. Xavier grin

1 Like

Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by slimyem: 5:44pm On Aug 01, 2013
I'd get a pet Lion as soon as the experimentation reaches its final stage. cool
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by Salmoneus(m): 5:44pm On Aug 01, 2013
While all these tech. advances are going on Nigerians were busy celebrating their biggest invention... Cassava bread

1 Like

Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by ezedolar: 5:45pm On Aug 01, 2013
Can u imagine !
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by mkmyers45(m): 5:45pm On Aug 01, 2013
ciphoenix:

True. They're at ease now because procedure isn't invasive yet

Indeed...but by and large maintaining proper and well monitored conducts guiding experiments and science is good but at times too it seems to limit science
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by leonard509(m): 5:46pm On Aug 01, 2013
story. . .i'll be glad to c a human controling an animal without any wire connection. . . .hw diz development wan take help pesing during emergency. . .lets say i dey bush. .lion com sight me..d lion go w8 make pesin connect wire near im brain??

5 Likes

Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 01, 2013
Lemme b00k space..b4 i read d p0st.. grin
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 01, 2013
opin aiye ti de. sign of end time
Re: Control A Rat With Your Mind by Riskymallam: 5:47pm On Aug 01, 2013
Ok, still lightyears away from reality.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Indonesian Spa Offers Snake Massage Services / Easy Way To Check BVN On MTN, Airtel, Etisalat & Glo / NigComSat-1, Nigeria's Satellite In The Orbit: What Is The Situation Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.