Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? (2498 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Why I Am Not An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 02, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Interesting. Because I'm a flop at cooking. Can't even make custard: I've it mind to learn though.
Cooking's my hobby. I cook really well.. smiley
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Aug 02, 2013
Chrisbenogor:
You mean getting ready to suck blood eh grin grin better find sweet one that tastes like Tombo grin grin
We dey wait.
Oga Chris, make I no call truthisdarkness to handle your matter... grin

Enjoy ya wknd... Any word from JeSoul?
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Aug 02, 2013
ooman:

am not an evangelist of atheism... its always right that you personally find the reason to drop the god idea...

hell is growing...satan is happy tongue
Oh you are. The hurt that bleeds from most of your posts regarding the current state of our country... I think that's something we share in common. Though I've tried to handle it by avoiding Nigerian related news until it hits NL frontpage..
I feel we need to be more outspoken, increase our online presence and let most people back home know there's an alternative. Either ways, a discussion about religion might be what our country and maybe Africa to kickstart any change if that's still possible.

1 Like

Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 02, 2013
jayriginal:

Frosbel possibly but unlikely. He needs a god.

As for Dr David, well that is even more unlikely than Frosbel. He states clearly that he takes the bible on faith. Still, stranger things have happened so . . .
Frosbel - Christain Deist. He does need a god.
Dr. David - Not at all likely, even vedaxcool has a better shot at clinching poster of the year before that'll happen.. grin

1 Like

Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by plaetton: 10:29pm On Aug 02, 2013
jayriginal:

As for Dr David, well that is even more unlikely than Frosbel. He states clearly that he takes the bible on faith. Still, stranger things have happened so . . .
One day he'll wake and realize that faith is the name of a game played in Las Vegas.
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by plaetton: 10:29pm On Aug 02, 2013
jayriginal:

One day he'll wake up and realize that faith is the name of a game played in Las Vegas.
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 10:55pm On Aug 02, 2013
musKeeto:
Oh you are. The hurt that bleeds from most of your posts regarding the current state of our country... I think that's something we share in common. Though I've tried to handle it by avoiding Nigerian related news until it hits NL frontpage..
I feel we need to be more outspoken, increase our online presence and let most people back home know there's an alternative. Either ways, a discussion about religion might be what our country and maybe Africa to kickstart any change if that's still possible.

I must but in here. The reason being some, if not most, atheists share the same sentiment. Seth Andrews is one. Of course, proposing atheism changes the status quo especially in the African context where it is alien. I will also agree that atheism would, or at least should_given what they say, imbibe the culture of one being less superstitious, less gullible to religious dogma and emphasize the need to reason for one's self. However . . . One, this can, at least in theory, be driven by religions. Two, the problem in our country and Africa as a whole is more of a political one than a religious one: the differentiation holds, never mind that both are intertwined. Nigerians in particular need to found a strong and efficient political structure which does the job of translating individual effort (through grassroot participation in the polity) into national glory. We don't have such structure Three, atheism, as religion, is much prone to dogma, irrationality and superstition (in the thread 'Free Thinking' thehomer said some atheists are superstitious_curious to me on hearing it from her). I ahould expatiate but this $hit is lengthy already.
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by Bella3(f): 11:40pm On Aug 02, 2013
musKeeto:

As long as you never win RELIGIOUS POSTER of THE YEAR, I'm fine with that. You're as useless as the blood of Jesus. wink
BLOOD OF JESUS!!!:O
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by manmustwac(m): 3:11am On Aug 03, 2013
Muskeeto was always an agnostic leaning towards atheism so after leaning & leaning the weight finally fell to atheism
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:19am On Aug 03, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I must but in here. The reason being some, if not most, atheists share the same sentiment. Seth Andrews is one. Of course, proposing atheism changes the status quo especially in the African context where it is alien. I will also agree that atheism would, or at least should_given what they say, imbibe the culture of one being less superstitious, less gullible to religious dogma and emphasize the need to reason for one's self. However . . . One, this can, at least in theory, be driven by religions. Two, the problem in our country and Africa as a whole is more of a political one than a religious one: the differentiation holds, never mind that both are intertwined. Nigerians in particular need to found a strong and efficient political structure which does the job of translating individual effort (through grassroot participation in the polity) into national glory. We don't have such structure [size=18pt]Three, atheism, as religion, is much prone to dogma, irrationality and superstition[/size] (in the thread 'Free Thinking' thehomer said some atheists are superstitious_curious to me on hearing it from her). I ahould expatiate but this $hit is lengthy already.

Muskeeto, I beg you please help me answer this question

IS IT ME, OR IS IT THAT UYI IREDIA WRITES AS IF HE IS SOME INTELLECTUAL WHILE MAKING NO SINGLE SENSE.
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by ooman(m): 9:36am On Aug 03, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I must but in here. The reason being some, if not most, atheists share the same sentiment. Seth Andrews is one. Of course, proposing atheism changes the status quo especially in the African context where it is alien. I will also agree that atheism would, or at least should_given what they say, imbibe the culture of one being less superstitious, less gullible to religious dogma and emphasize the need to reason for one's self. However . . . One, this can, at least in theory, be driven by religions. Two, the problem in our country and Africa as a whole is more of a political one than a religious one: the differentiation holds, never mind that both are intertwined. Nigerians in particular need to found a strong and efficient political structure which does the job of translating individual effort (through grassroot participation in the polity) into national glory. We don't have such structure Three, atheism, as religion, is much prone to dogma, irrationality and superstition (in the thread 'Free Thinking' thehomer said some atheists are superstitious_curious to me on hearing it from her). I ahould expatiate but this $hit is lengthy already.

A Nigerian would rather spend 24 hours praying than spend it reading or working... Nigerians believe in prayer more than they believe in hardwork... that is the bane of the country
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 11:28am On Aug 03, 2013
ooman:

A Nigerian would rather spend 24 hours praying than spend it reading or working... Nigerians believe in prayer more than they believe in hardwork... that is the bane of the country

Wrong. It is a known fact that it is the hands that till the soil which eat its fruits. Most Nigerians emphasize and spend lots of time in prayer, but they know it doesn't preclude the fact that they must work. Do get that meme off your head.

1 Like

Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by Nobody: 11:47am On Aug 03, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Wrong. It is a known fact that it is the hands that till the soil which eat its fruits. Most Nigerians emphasize and spend lots of time in prayer, but they know it doesn't preclude the fact that they must work. Do get that meme off your head.

Erm sir, can you relate to your point for people who spend a minumum of 3hrs worship on Sunday, wensday and saturday?
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 12:04pm On Aug 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

Erm sir, can you relate to your point for people who spend a minumum of 3hrs worship on Sunday, wensday and saturday?

And what do they do for the most part of the week ? How do you reconcile it with humans who sleep for at least 4hrs everyday throughout their lives ? Or were you a slob whilst you were a Catholic ?
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by ooman(m): 12:14pm On Aug 03, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

yea, and they believe prayer somehow makes them successful. They believe in prayer more than they believe in hardwork and so poverty eats them alive...
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 12:37pm On Aug 03, 2013
ooman:

yea, and they believe prayer somehow makes them successful. They believe in prayer more than they believe in hardwork and so poverty eats them alive...

You appear determined to think this of Nigerians given their religious fervor. Feel free but I fully disagree. I insist that they know prayer is useless without effort on their part. They look at both, you insist on one_work.
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by ooman(m): 1:23pm On Aug 03, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

You appear determined to think this of Nigerians given their religious fervor. Feel free but I fully disagree. I insist that they know prayer is useless without effort on their part. They look at both, you insist on one_work.

so what's the use of prayer except to give a false sensation?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 1:29pm On Aug 03, 2013
ooman:

so what's the use of prayer except to give a false sensation?

I presume you know the typical Christian's answer to this question. That said my point has been made, their prayer doesn't preclude the fact that they work, which topples the patently false statement you made of Nigerians praying for 24 hours without working. I am inclined to think that was a hyperbole.

1 Like

Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by mazaje1: 1:37pm On Aug 03, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I presume you know the typical Christian's answer to this question. That said my point has been made, their prayer doesn't preclude the fact that they work, which topples the patently false statement you made of Nigerians praying for 24 hours without working. I am inclined to think that was a hyperbole.

False, many christians believe that prayer alone can change things. . .You hear them say things like" Only prayers can change our leaders" or "Only prayers can save us from this situation". . .The there was a great backlash over the statements from the Igbo cardinal who said that Nigerians should stop praying and fight for there rights. . Most people in Nigeria believe that prayer alone is what will solve most of the countries problems. . .Many people just pray without working, others pray more and work less. . .Nigerians are too prayerful. . .Its sickening. . .The worst part is the prayers are all futile because its obviously not working at all. . .

1 Like

Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by plaetton: 2:29pm On Aug 03, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

You obviously do not live in Nigeria, otherwise you would not be saying what you are saying.
Religion has turned almost every Nigerian into a pile of vegetable.

I am serious. Anything that affects one general worldview is bound to affect the person's life.
Religion is a cancer in Nigeria.

We are generally a superstitious people. In the midst of 30 yrs of economic stagnation, when you mix superstition up with this new mercantilistic christianity from America, and you have situations that are far worse than anyone could have imagined.

When was the last time you had any meaningful conversation with a Nigerian christian?
It is getting very hard for me. A Nigerian christian cannot utter two sentences without the word " god" in it.

1 Like

Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 2:40pm On Aug 03, 2013
mazaje1:

False, many christians believe that prayer alone can change things. . .You hear them say things like" Only prayers can change our leaders" or "Only prayers can save us from this situation". . .The there was a great backlash over the statements from the Igbo cardinal who said that Nigerians should stop praying and fight for there rights. . Most people in Nigeria believe that prayer alone is what will solve most of the countries problems. . .Many people just pray without working, others pray more and work less. . .Nigerians are too prayerful. . .Its sickening. . .The worst part is the prayers are all futile because its obviously not working at all. . .

They also say 'Heaven helps those who help themselves', 'An idle mind is the Devil's workshop', 'Man wey dey work dey chop' etc. True, the belief you stated, but my argument is they work regardless. Your bias simply wants the prayers out and be channelled into work. Seriously, I've argued a similar thing before with you on Toba: The Nigerian Atheist thread. There you made the false claim that men of God do nothing to help the country and I brought examples especially of Tunde Bakare which you failed at refuting.
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 2:53pm On Aug 03, 2013
plaetton:

You obviously do not live in Nigeria, otherwise you would not be saying what you are saying.
Religion has turned almost every Nigerian into a pile of vegetable.

And irreligion will be the magic wand that solves the problem, right ? Naïve.

plaetton:
I am serious. Anything that affects one general worldview is bound to affect the person's life.
Religion is a cancer in Nigeria.

Agree with the first sentence. Not entirely with the second. The tribes within the Nigerian land did pretty well with their religions before the white men came_never mind they weren't as sophisticated as them. I would hope you don't argue this.

plaetton:
We are generally a superstitious people. In the midst of 30 yrs of economic stagnation, when you mix superstition up with this new mercantilistic christianity from America, and you have situations
that are far worse than anyone could have imagined.

J'adoube. Especially, with the superstition part. Found it quite annoying to be told my Dad was suffering because of the demons he worshipped as a pagan. I intend to speak out against it when it is preached: timing is crucial.

plaetton:
When was the last time you had any meaningful conversation with a Nigerian christian?
It is getting very hard for me. A Nigerian christian cannot utter two sentences without the word " god" in it.

I had one with 2 girls of recent and the word God wasn't mentioned throughout. 'Church' came up though. Not to mention the likes of striktlymi, texanomaly and Mr Anony. You better swallow the pill of taking God or do something like say Seun Kuti, Toba or harakiri did, if you dare.
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by Bella3(f): 5:57pm On Aug 03, 2013
^^I love this dude cheesy
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by jayriginal: 6:54pm On Aug 03, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Two, the problem in our country and Africa as a whole is more of a political one than a religious one

I'd say its even more of a cultural problem before religious and before political.
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by ooman(m): 7:12pm On Aug 03, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

well, its obvious you have problem understanding the simple English I wrote. I said:

Ooman: A Nigerian would rather spend 24 hours praying than spend it reading or working... Nigerians believe in prayer more than they believe in hardwork... that is the bane of the country

and not

Uyi Iredia:

I presume you know the typical Christian's answer to this question. That said my point has been made, their prayer doesn't preclude the fact that they work, [size=15pt]which topples the patently false statement you made of Nigerians praying for 24 hours without working.[/size] I am inclined to think that was a hyperbole.

so you miss the point right from the start and you argued blindly. I never said that in red.

Nigerians believe in prayer more than they believe in hardwork and so the country is poor, that's the fact. Our problem will start getting solved when people learn to take responsibility and stop blaming the devil or thanking god.
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 7:29pm On Aug 03, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

They also say 'Heaven helps those who help themselves', 'An idle mind is the Devil's workshop', 'Man wey dey work dey chop' etc. True, the belief you stated, but my argument is they work regardless. Your bias simply wants the prayers out and be channelled into work. Seriously, I've argued a similar thing before with you on Toba: The Nigerian Atheist thread. There you made the false claim that men of God do nothing to help the country and I brought examples especially of Tunde Bakare which you failed at refuting.

We pray more and work less. . .Nigerians put prayers first before work and that is the fact. . .if we work more than we pray like others then we would have solved a lot of our problems. . .Pastor Bakare might be an example but majority do not contribute anything to the country. . .All the do is enrich themselves by selling false hope and lies. . .
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 1:57am On Aug 04, 2013
ooman:

well, its obvious you have problem understanding the simple English I wrote. I said:

Hominis est errare.

ooman:
and not

Okay.

ooman:
so you miss the point right from the start and you argued blindly. I never said that in red.

Agreed. The rather makes all the difference.

ooman:
Nigerians believe in prayer more than they believe in hardwork and so the country is poor, that's the fact. Our problem will start getting solved when people learn to take responsibility and stop blaming the devil or thanking god.

Still you are making a patently false statement. They believe in BOTH prayer and hardwork. If you ask whether prayer only and no working would solve Nigeria's problem, I remain confident most would say no. Of course, we'll have some yes among.
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:41am On Aug 04, 2013
Bélla3: ^^I love this dude cheesy
I prophesy that u'll become an atheist,deist or agnostic.
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by joe4christ(m): 4:49am On Aug 04, 2013
Would you guys ever agree on anything, evven for once
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by Bella3(f): 6:09am On Aug 04, 2013
Beretta92: I prophesy that u'll become an atheist,deist or agnostic.
back to sender... gringrin

3 Likes

Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:42am On Aug 04, 2013
Bélla3: back to sender... gringrin
Lol,why now?You know u love us very much. We love u too.
Re: Muskeeto, What Finally Made You An Atheist? by thehomer: 3:04pm On Aug 04, 2013
Joagbaje:
The bible gave the reason.

Psalms 14:1
1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works,
there is none that doeth good.]

Romans 1:21
Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Hmm so brave. This is a command given by the God being referenced.

Numbers 31:
17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man,
18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Who is the fool? The one who serves a God who gives such a command or one who rejects any person that would give such a command?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Journey Through The Halls Of Hell / MY HERO! Messing With Jesus. / How Many Will Burn In Hell? Are You Happy About It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.