Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,586 members, 7,820,114 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Share Your Molue Experience.... - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Share Your Molue Experience.... (11584 Views)

Whats The Approved Mileage Of Molue Bus / Molue Buses Rebranding For A Comeback / What Do You Miss About 'molue' In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Your Molue Experience.... by bellong: 9:33am On Aug 02, 2013
We all know what a molue is, for those that do not know, attached is a picture of it. Prior to the transport revolution in Lagos, Molue used to (still in some areas), be the most effective means of transportation. This is due not only to its relatively low fare but also the capacity to carry hundreds of people stuffed together.

I remember that most (if not all) of my transportation while in secondary were by molue. I perfected the art of not being left behind anytime there is a mammoth crowd of passengers waiting to board. What used to fascinate me about molues is the comedy and crazy scenarios you experience perpetrated by other passengers as well as the conductors. Below is one of the many experiences I had as a platinum member of molue.

On this beautiful day, I was going from Mushin to Yaba. The conductor of this particular molue probably must have just finished taking weed before starting the day's job. He harassed almost everybody in the bus. As this day was meant to be when he will meet his waterloo, he went on to abuse an old man in the bus simply because the man asked for his change. While abusing the old man, a guy neatly dressed in suit and tie cautioned him to respect the old man but he wouldn't listen and later transferred the aggression on him. As karma will have him dealt with, the bus stopped to pick a passenger. The guy in suit put off his suit and tie, dragged the conductor down and beat hell out of him.
He never recovered from that beating till we reached our destination. He even forgot to collect t-fare from passengers who entered after the beating.

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by bellong: 9:43am On Aug 02, 2013
There was also this day I was going to ijebu-ode years ago and I planned saving cost so I opted to go by molue. An old man already took a seat in the molue but went out to buy something. Though he left something on the seat to prevent another taking it. Nevertheless, a young guy came few minutes after and took over the seat, he relocated the man's property to another seat.

When the old man came, he told him that it was his reserved seat but the guy shunned him and told the man to find another place to sit. The man did not argue and only told him to continue sitting there forever. On getting to his destination, the young man couldn't stand up from the seat. He bottom was glued to the seat. It was like watching Herbert Ogunde's movie. Unfortunately for him, the old man alighted long before him. However, after some hours of delay, a spiritualist who saw his predicament came to his rescue and warned him not to disrespect his elders anymore.

Though, I was very young then, since that time, I always stand up for old people in the bus.

9 Likes

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by nenergy(m): 9:51am On Aug 02, 2013
It was years ago. I was going to Oshodi and the 'danfo' buses were expensive, so i hustled for a molue and alas, there was no more sitting space, so i stood behind this pretty and well-endowed lady. Seconds later another lady stood behind me and the journey began. The journey was a bit bumpy, so i was swinging like a pendulum-back and forth, back and forth. I became slightly embarrassed because my groin region was touching the 1st lady's back-side, while my flat bottom was touch the 2nd lady's body. I endured for a while and then decided to turn side-ways so it was my 'hip' that was doing the touching. People sitting around where i stone understood and the laughter was thunderous. I had no choice but to laugh along. A Molue is a bad place to get a 'stiffy'.lol Happy weekend!

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by bellong: 10:04am On Aug 02, 2013
^^^ Seems every male have had that experience of yours. Mine happened when I was a teenager, when the uncle below under was still practising the act of standing to attention. I was coming from iyana-ipaja and was sandwiched between two ladies. The lady behind me probably was doing it intentionally, because the more i try to move forward away from her chest, the more she gets close pinning it behind my back. while she was at it, uncle below was raising its ugly head and slightly touching the lady in front. What saved me that day was that the bus stopped suddenly and everybody jerked against each other. she didn't notice what was going on.

I had to relocate in between them before the lady behind me corrupt my innocent heart... cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by kingschild123(m): 12:33pm On Aug 02, 2013
Molue SIGHS !!! sad responsible for the loss of my blackberry tried it once will never again enter such.
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by bellong: 12:59pm On Aug 02, 2013
kingschild123: Molue SIGHS !!! sad responsible for the loss of my blackberry tried it once will never again enter such.

Was it at the point of entry or inside? Bad experience for you though.
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by nenergy(m): 10:02pm On Aug 02, 2013
kingschild123: Molue SIGHS !!! sad responsible for the loss of my blackberry tried it once will never again enter such.
Sorry for your loss. I'm sure it was at the point of entry. I hold my valuables in hand while hustling for molue.
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by kumari089(m): 7:48am On Aug 04, 2013
lol Molue experience indeed.

Thank God for where i am today and i av vow never to board a Molue again, instead, i will opt for a BRT.

what prompted the above was a bitter experience. Then i use to work for a security outfit, attach to one of this fast food joint. I was lucky enough to be post to the traffic section as my bit for that day. After working under the sun through out that day, i was able to roger #2000 plus my own personal money, totalling #4000 plus.

at the end of the day, i was to board a bus from Ikeja along to agbado ijaiye. I saw a Danfo of #50 0r #70, cant really remember. But as any Lagos husling guy will do, i opted for a Molue with low fare of about #40 in which all seats were already occupied leaving me with no option but to stand not knowing while i was trying to board the Molue, my pocket has been picked. Now dont tell be am greedy cos in lagos u work to safe money no matter aw little. When the conductor demanded for Tfare, lol i dip my hand into my back pocket where i keep the #4000 plus and it was not there. I thought i was seeing a mirage, i search my other pockets, they where all empty and it was as if the ground should open up to swallow me. The conductor guy no even pity me he was still demanding his fare not until other passengers came to my rescue that he should spare me. This very incident affected me alot that it took me like two weeks to get over it.

Though i knew so many people have had even bitter experience than i do, but mine so happen when #4000 was a lot of money. Since then, i have vow never to enter a molue again, this was even before BRT was born and i thank God for making me keep to the vow. at least i have my own car and if i should deem it fit to take a public transport, i will rather opt for a BRT.

I also remember those time when i was still in my primary school and i have to shuttle from Dopemu to Yaba every day. I will struggle with mature passengers to get a sit on board a molue, only to ask an elderly person be it male or female who is unfortunate to get a sit to lap me so that i can keep my own money. I dont think kids of today still do that.

13 Likes

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by Nobody: 12:42am On Aug 05, 2013

1 Like

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by Nobody: 12:53am On Aug 05, 2013
Many years ago, maybe 1980. I went to Lagos from Ibadan. I remember like it was yesterday. I caught the Molue at Maryland going to Yaba I think.

I was sitting and when I got to my stop, unknowst to me my pant had been snagged by some metal in the seat. As I stood up pant got shredded to almost unclothedness. Come see me they look for place to buy pant quick quick. I had to abandon some Girl I had been chatting up on the bus so embarassed grin

9 Likes

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by bellong: 8:48am On Aug 05, 2013
^^^^ ha ha ha.lol.. Its an everyday experience in those their rickety buses.
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by nenergy(m): 9:17am On Aug 06, 2013
kumari_089:
I also remember those time when i was still in my primary school and i have to shuttle from Dopemu to Yaba every day. I will struggle with mature passengers to get a sit on board a molue, only to ask an elderly person be it male or female who is unfortunate to get a sit to lap me so that i can keep my own money. I dont think kids of today still do that.
It happened to me once or twice,but it was they who offered to 'lap' me. Bros, you be business man from pikin.lol

1 Like

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by Lagusta(m): 11:10am On Aug 06, 2013
Shebi u guys always enter inside the molue itself, I had a couple of experiences where I stood right at the door, sometimes at the edge, about to drop from the speeding molue......
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by bellong: 11:41am On Aug 06, 2013
^^^ Can you tell us your first attempt at jumping down from a molue?

As for me, my first attempt was brutal. At the time, I never knew I was to run along the direction of motion when jumping down. I just jumped and tried to stand but toppled over and got injured. Learnt a brutal lesson that day. Subsequently, I became a pro grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by Lagusta(m): 12:34pm On Aug 06, 2013
bellong: ^^^ Can you tell us your first attempt at jumping down from a molue?

As for me, my first attempt was brutal. At the time, I never knew I was to run along the direction of motion when jumping down. I just jumped and tried to stand but toppled over and got injured. Learnt a brutal lesson that day. Subsequently, I became a pro grin grin grin

Hahahaha grin grin grin

Jumping from molue Na skill, people dey get PhD on top am
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by tinatona25: 2:19pm On Aug 06, 2013
i have a igbo frnd the only yoruba he can speak is ba mi gbe change mi grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy how sweet

1 Like

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 06, 2013
Growing in Agege, you learned very early how to 'Tamo' a Molue... You how to learn how to jump off a bus in motion....You learn how to 'lap'...and you learn how to beg conductors...lol

Anyone who has seen molues in actin has probably seen teenagers hanging outside the bus with their hands hooked to a bar just underneath the rear or front doors...I was one of them teenagers lol

One of my funniest experiences was seeing a fat woman with a big Nyash being harassed by the conductor to pay double cos her nyash took up an entire bench!

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by sexymoma(f): 2:21pm On Aug 06, 2013
The day i entered this molue i was the smallest and the youngest, i was like wetin carry me enter this bus... all of them na old papa old mama even the driver and the conductor sef old cargo ni won

1 Like

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 06, 2013
Somorin#1:
Many years ago, maybe 1980. I went to Lagos from Ibadan. I remember like it was yesterday. I caught the Molue at Maryland going to Yaba I think.

I was sitting and when I got to my stop, unknowst to me my pant had been snagged by some metal in the seat. As I stood up pant got shredded to almost unclothedness. Come see me they look for place to buy pant quick quick. I had to abandon some Girl I had been chatting up on the bus so embarassed grin

You must be a BABA with gray hair by now??
cheesy shocked

1 Like

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by PStacks(m): 2:23pm On Aug 06, 2013
bellong: There was also this day I was going to ijebu-ode years ago and I planned saving cost so I opted to go by molue. An old man already took a seat in the molue but went out to buy something. Though he left something on the seat to prevent another taking it. Nevertheless, a young guy came few minutes after and took over the seat, he relocated the man's property to another seat.

When the old man came, he told him that it was his reserved seat but the guy shunned him and told the man to find another place to sit. The man did not argue and only told him to continue sitting there forever. On getting to his destination, the young man couldn't stand up from the seat. He bottom was glued to the seat. It was like watching Herbert Ogunde's movie. Unfortunately for him, the old man alighted long before him. However, after some hours of delay, a spiritualist who saw his predicament came to his rescue and warned him not to disrespect his elders anymore.

Though, I was very young then, since that time, I always stand up for old people in the bus.

shocked Are you for real! shocked

Mehn! That would'a been serious and scary
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by lharstborn(m): 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2013
When the old man came, he told him that it was his reserved seat but the guy shunned him and told the man to find another place to sit. The man did not argue and only told him to continue sitting there forever. On getting to his destination, the young man couldn't stand up from the seat. He bottom was glued to the seat. It was like watching Herbert Ogunde's movie. Unfortunately for him, the old man alighted long before him.

Lolzzz!!! Ijebu tinz!!
Èwé só ò!!
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by Nightshift1(m): 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2013
I dey come, make I pay the conductor first.
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2013
I don't wanna share mine. Its not funny.
bellong: There was also this day I was going to ijebu-ode years ago and I planned saving cost so I opted to go by molue. An old man already took a seat in the molue but went out to buy something. Though he left something on the seat to prevent another taking it. Nevertheless, a young guy came few minutes after and took over the seat, he relocated the man's property to another seat.

Super story reloaded.
bellong, u can lie pass GEJ!

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by Achieverbaba: 2:25pm On Aug 06, 2013
My broda, u just don't want to know o. All i remember one time was a conductor trying to push me out of the molue from Ilasa to Oshodi then all because of #10, besides i was standing by the door cos i didnt want to pay much. I feel terrible anytime i fink of that incident.

Buh thanks to Baba, levels don change!
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by lharstborn(m): 2:27pm On Aug 06, 2013

Lolzzz!!! Ijebu tinz!!
Èwè só ò!!
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 06, 2013
Ah Moluee...chai molue cant stop cryin molu eeeeee....my story of molue dey make me cry wen ever i remember it...but i tank god dat i have dump dat my former Honda not my honda halla o...na my discution not my former end of discurtion because i have dash away dat 1 na my new discurtion continued not de red 1 Na dat 1 wey be GOLDEN COLOUR... I say bye bye 2 molue
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by Teegurlee(f): 2:31pm On Aug 06, 2013

Lol! I can rel8 2 dat. I had d same xperience wen I was in sec sch,then I hadn't perfectd d art of jumpin down 4rm a movin bus. My arm got bruised dat day.
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by bellong: 2:32pm On Aug 06, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: I don't wanna share mine. Its not funny.
Super story reloaded.
bellong, u can lie pass GEJ!

Yea, hyper-super story. It actually happened. If you were conversant with molues plying ijebu-ode route in those good old better and bad days, you would have heard those native drug sellers reiterating the story.
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by PStacks(m): 2:32pm On Aug 06, 2013

Eheeyaa! Pele.
Me I always use to think everybody in lagos is a sharp man.. So one time I was going to abeokuta from lagos and joined Molue from Oshodi to all those outskirt places to get Abeokuta vehicle, one guy just started out of the blues to start abusing another passenger and while he was at it, one other guy stood up, not even minding the fight just started selling medicine with no Nafdac number on them and said the medicine cured everything, gullible people bought this medicine sha.. In all this, my own fear was Pick-pocket, I held on to the small pocket money I got from lag so nobody in the molue moves it with a fast trick, I held my pocket tight as if my whole life depended on the money that time.. Getting down wasn't too much off an issue because av always been an agbero, I knew I had to taxi along in the direction of motion of the molue, I forgot who taught me sha, but av always known it.
Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by Thereishel: 2:32pm On Aug 06, 2013
My own experience was in the '70s. I entered molue, and there was this pick pocket thief who aboard the bus but stayed in the doorway. He immediately stole the purse of another man struggling to enter the bus. When the did was done the thief jumped down from the bus and pretend as if nothing happen. An old man that sit down in front of me who saw the thief put his head toward the window of the bus and pointed to the thief and said in Yoruba, "Bi won ti npa eyin kini yi to, eko egbo nan" meaning "The more they kill you thieves you won't learn your lesson" and I started laughing.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by Phonon: 2:34pm On Aug 06, 2013
In one case I vividly remember at Iponri in the late 90s, a market woman was about to get off the bus after her tomato basket was dropped off. The molue was still moving but slowly and the woman jumped out the bus with both legs.She rolled over and injured herself. I laughed(I was young and naive) because I just did not understand why the woman did not put one foot down before the other to give herself balance grin

1 Like

Re: Share Your Molue Experience.... by Phonon: 2:40pm On Aug 06, 2013
I was standing in between a mob inside the bus. Not a single breathing space. The man beside me was selling some kind of soap and any time he opened his mouth, some kind of thick cloud of staleness pervaded the air. I couldn't get off because we were in traffic on one bridge in Apapa and I didn't know my way from there. When I finally 'escaped', I could feel the 'cloud' following me. grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EgunMogajis Motorcycle Thread / Signs Your Car Needs An Alignment And Benefits Of Tire Alignment / What Are The Issues With Golf 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.