Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,959 members, 7,828,394 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos (2854 Views)

Obiano Flags Off Housing Estate Project, Inspects Ongoing Roads, Bridges (photos / People Who Failed To Use Pedestrian Bridges In Lagos Punished (pics) / Senate Summons Fashola Over Falling Bridges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by Maxymilliano(m): 11:22am On Aug 02, 2013
Two bridges, one city

The dual face of a mega city; decadence and opulence.

This is the pako-bridge that you must cross with your car if you are going from Igando to Ipaja-Ayobo, around the Ikotun area of Lagos State. The bridge was built by a resident of the community after the government failed to provide a link road between the two areas making it difficult for residents to visit each other in spite of the short distance separating them.

There is a swamp that lay between the two communities so residents had to travel long distances to gain access to their adjoining areas.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-penWSUcN7Es/TdoE4H66lVI/AAAAAAAADHE/AHJIcXR99VU/s400/Pako-Bridge.jpg[/img]

The suspension bridge named Alexandra-Admiralty Link bridge is located in Lekki, Lagos and the project was handled by Julius Berger.

The construction of Admiralty-Alexander (Lekki-Ikoyi) link bridge was conceived as a solution to the problem of the perennial traffic bottleneck on Lekki-Epe Road, particularly around the Elegushi Round About and Lekki Phase I.

"The bridge is designed to serve as a strategic by-pass and to reduce the travel time along Falomo Bridge, Alfred Rewane Road, Independence Bridge and Ahmadu Bello Way.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-tevw68uOylo/UauP4VCFLtI/AAAAAAAAthI/WXbS7WlUxBw/s640/936089_607598282593294_150476313_n.jpg[/img]

[img]http://2.bp..com/-ETQXXoZlT6o/UabtcO8zaBI/AAAAAAAAtUQ/qTsaHH3P62A/s640/7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/-k1dT1PRuVpc/UabtYfcbsLI/AAAAAAAAtUE/BWQO1ZuXSFc/s640/6.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by homesteady(m): 12:14pm On Aug 02, 2013
LOL!! Walahi I've never seen this type of bridge in my life!! And the worst thing is that it is in LAGOS!! Chai!! After almost 14 years of ACN/AC rule in lagos, there is still a place like this! Lagos ni ba je oh!
Frontpage jareh!

5 Likes

Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by idupaul: 1:23pm On Aug 02, 2013
I see that both bridges are tolled effectively .. Eko oni baje ooo.. The primary failure of the govt here is the failure to build a bridge while the secondary failure is the govt allowing vehicles to ply that wooden contraption.
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by SLIDEwaxie(m): 3:28pm On Aug 02, 2013
grin
This people will get hypertensive o
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by bloggernaija: 3:34pm On Aug 02, 2013
Tale of two link bridge
One is the economic nerve centre of the city and where the future lies for tax revenues.
The other links a community which is basically in need of the toll revenues from the new bridge to get built and maintained.
Simple modern economics
The virtuous wave lifts all boats.

TRY HARDER IN YOUR EFFORT TO DISCREDIT FASHOLA.HIS PEOPLE DEY HIM BACK WELLA.ANYBODY NOT HAPPY CAN BOARD THE NEXT AVAILABLE TO GO AND ENJOY THE GOVERNOR OF WHEREVER.

6 Likes

Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by obitwo: 4:05pm On Aug 02, 2013
We have said we will rebuild this wooden bridge and rebuild we will
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by HezronLorraine(m): 8:39pm On Aug 02, 2013
Why isn't this hitting the frontpage.
I love the title most,fits the story.
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by antartica(m): 8:44pm On Aug 02, 2013
Two extremes,a typical nigerian syndrome of running before walking.
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by BigLebowski: 8:45pm On Aug 02, 2013
[size=18pt]No toll, No bridge[/size].

Yours truly,
Fascist Fash

2 Likes

Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by amarilo: 8:55pm On Aug 02, 2013
SLIDE waxie: grin
This people will get hypertensive o
You mean the people crossing the bridge? If na you nko. The pako can give way at any point so getting hypertensive while crossing is 99% certain. The only good thing about the bridge is, its not tolled yet(By Govt or Area boys).
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by taharqa2: 9:01pm On Aug 02, 2013
The impression one gets unfortunately with d current Govt, and its operators in Lagos is that it has an underlying Disdain (Okay, lets just say DISREGARD) for POOR people. Its recent history simply oozes that impression...
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by taharqa2: 9:03pm On Aug 02, 2013
By d way, did I see a Toll Gate on that Wooden bridge, Or is it me not seeing properly??
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by BigLebowski: 9:09pm On Aug 02, 2013
taharqa2: The impression one gets unfortunately with d current Govt, and its operators in Lagos is that it has an underlying Disdain (Okay, lets just say DISREGARD) for POOR people. Its recent history simply oozes that impression...
The "progressives" have criminalized poverty and the poor.
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by Maxymilliano(m): 9:10pm On Aug 02, 2013
taharqa2: By d way, did I see a Toll Gate on that Wooden bridge, Or is it me not seeing properly??

There's tolling on the wooden bridge ...
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by ba7man(m): 9:32pm On Aug 02, 2013
The state Government didn't build the wooden bridge, the community did to ease access.

Ok, picture this. I and the youth in my community build a wooden bridge to provide a shorter route to an adjourning community and we toll it to make some money for ourselves and our community.

Soon, some guy with a smear mission takes a picture of my bridge and passes it off as a Government failure. Does that make sense??

And btw, Fashola is already getting ready to construct a bridge in that location so does that help your case now??
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by awodman: 10:32pm On Aug 02, 2013
ba7man: The state Government didn't build the wooden bridge, the community did to ease access.

Ok, picture this. I and the youth in my community build a wooden bridge to provide a shorter route to an adjourning community and we toll it to make some money for ourselves and our community.

Soon, some guy with a smear mission takes a picture of my bridge and passes it off as a Government failure. Does that make sense??

And btw, Fashola is already getting ready to construct a bridge in that location so does that help your case now??
Getting ready?..after over 6 years in power and he is still getting ready?..then when are we expecting the completion?..Nobody is engaging on a smear campaign but just bringing things govt might not primarily aware of to their knowledge...

This is among many of the roads begging for attention in Lagos but the governor will want to be fighting with the FG over Airport road and Lagos-Badagry Expressway..Nansense
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by tomakint: 10:47pm On Aug 02, 2013
Lagosians are toying with their future being mortgaged by the two Schemer-in-Chiefs, Tinubu and his sidekick, Fashola! Most of Fashola's policies are definitely anti-poor who still form the bulk of Lagos populations! Since 1999, Tinubu and his cronies have been siphoning Lagos monies to better their lots while using the little from it to grow flowers around Lagos and also coining the slogan 'Eko o ni baje o' for the Mumus among them! What a pity.

2 Likes

Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by ba7man(m): 11:05pm On Aug 02, 2013
awodman:
Getting ready?..after over 6 years in power and he is still getting ready?..then when are we expecting the completion?..Nobody is engaging on a smear campaign but just bringing things govt might not primarily aware of to their knowledge...

This is among many of the roads begging for attention in Lagos but the governor will want to be fighting with the FG over Airport road and Lagos-Badagry Expressway..Nansense
He's fighting for the the roads that serve as the main drivers of the State economy. Lagos-Badagry Expressway, Ikorodu-Road, Oshodi-Apapa Expressway. He built the Lekki toll bridge and Lekki-Ajah expressway to serve as a generator of constant funds. Why do you think its located where the rich reside??

If you settle down to study him, he's far more intelligent than you think.
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by ba7man(m): 11:10pm On Aug 02, 2013
tomakint: Lagosians are toying with their future being mortgaged by the two Schemer-in-Chiefs, Tinubu and his sidekick, Fashola! Most of Fashola's policies are definitely anti-poor who still form the bulk of Lagos populations! Since 1999, Tinubu and his cronies have been siphoning Lagos monies to better their lots while using the little from it to grow flowers around Lagos and also coining the slogan 'Eko o ni baje o' for the Mumus among them! What a pity.
But i hope you know that Lagosians regardless of tribe are the most intelligent lot in the Country. Why else do you think there's something called "Lagos Sense"?? The most enlightened people in Nigeria are in Lagos so if they're content, who cares what you think.
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by tomakint: 12:20am On Aug 03, 2013
ba7man: But i hope you know that Lagosians regardless of tribe are the most intelligent lot in the Country. Why else do you think there's something called "Lagos Sense"?? The most enlightened people in Nigeria are in Lagos so if they're content, who cares what you think.
...and who told you that they are contented undecided or are you a learner?
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by bobthebuilder99(m): 2:28am On Aug 03, 2013
LWKMD!

1. Where is your second Niger bridge?
2. If Lagos is so bad, why are you crying about some lunatics and destitute being sent back to their home states. We might have had the money to spend on the bridge if we weren't forced to support street urchins from other states.
2. There are more major bridges in Lagos than any other state.
3. We are currently building the 4th Mainland Bridge (which is going to be one of the top 20 longest bridges in the world) that will service almost ALL of mainland Lagos.
4. Where is your second Niger bridge?

You know what, this is ridiculous! Igbos keep pushing and attacking Yoruba because we are WAY TOO NICE!
We invite everyone into our home, and then they claim that they built the house. When we ask their drunk uncle to leave, they say our house is dirty and demand we let their drunk uncle stay.

Any sane man would hit guests like this with a stake, like Chidi Llyod. Stop pushing us, before you make us mad.

3 Likes

Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by Nobody: 6:50am On Aug 03, 2013
I guess nothing better captures Fashola's elitist approach to Governance
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by drnoel: 7:23am On Aug 03, 2013
em, and someone here was dancing alinco that fashiola is a miracle man. Imagine, look at the initiative a private person too to remedy things, make life better for his community. What is Fashiola doing about that bridge. Fashiola supporters, we want anwsers. I have alwazs known Fashiola was to overrated (cos na only flower in the plant). Another look at the bridge shows its not too stable and people in that area would really need a stable solution.

Maxymilliano: Two bridges, one city

The dual face of a mega city; decadence and opulence.

This is the pako-bridge that you must cross with your car if you are going from Igando to Ipaja-Ayobo, around the Ikotun area of Lagos State. The bridge was built by a resident of the community after the government failed to provide a link road between the two areas making it difficult for residents to visit each other in spite of the short distance separating them.

There is a swamp that lay between the two communities so residents had to travel long distances to gain access to their adjoining areas.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-penWSUcN7Es/TdoE4H66lVI/AAAAAAAADHE/AHJIcXR99VU/s400/Pako-Bridge.jpg[/img]

The suspension bridge named Alexandra-Admiralty Link bridge is located in Lekki, Lagos and the project was handled by Julius Berger.

The construction of Admiralty-Alexander (Lekki-Ikoyi) link bridge was conceived as a solution to the problem of the perennial traffic bottleneck on Lekki-Epe Road, particularly around the Elegushi Round About and Lekki Phase I.

"The bridge is designed to serve as a strategic by-pass and to reduce the travel time along Falomo Bridge, Alfred Rewane Road, Independence Bridge and Ahmadu Bello Way.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-tevw68uOylo/UauP4VCFLtI/AAAAAAAAthI/WXbS7WlUxBw/s640/936089_607598282593294_150476313_n.jpg[/img]

[img]http://2.bp..com/-ETQXXoZlT6o/UabtcO8zaBI/AAAAAAAAtUQ/qTsaHH3P62A/s640/7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/-k1dT1PRuVpc/UabtYfcbsLI/AAAAAAAAtUE/BWQO1ZuXSFc/s640/6.jpg[/img]

Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by EkoAtlantic: 7:40am On Aug 03, 2013
First, we should know that this bridge the immigrants are ranting about is not in a populated environment and that it's not an old settlement, it's just an extension of Lagos city which is seen in the picture the OP posted, you all 'll notice the bushes and dwarf trees in the environment, which is most hardly seen in Lagos city. It's actually good that a thread like this is created because it draws LASG attention to it, which in short time construction of the bridge 'll take place.

one thing is certain, everybody irrespective of their tribe, ethnic are concerned about Yorubaland and people development. As the most civilized set and most urbanized region, we shouldn't expect other ethnic and regions looking up onto us not to criticize and fault any action and development they are not cool with in our region, we wonder why most of the criticism in Nigeria and on this forum are directed at SouthWest and the Yourba people at large.

Except for the Niger bridge of less than 2km that the easterners have been begging the federal government for in over 3decades now, which we only got to know about due to their complaint on the internet, we wouldn't have know anything about that region because we care less about them and have little or no business in that region.
Imagine a whole region(FIVE states) begging the federal government for a 1.2km bridge for 30years, that tells us about the underdevelopment in that region.

3 Likes

Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by IleIfe2(m): 7:49am On Aug 03, 2013
How many bridges have your leaders in alaigbo built? How many have private citizens built in alaigbbo?

2 Likes

Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by bobthebuilder99(m): 7:55am On Aug 03, 2013
So sad that they Igbos feel the need to constantly attack the South West.

Especially when we are the only region that supports itself with it's own political party and it's own taxes. The FG is failing every other region of Nigeria, yet they spend so much time worrying about us.

Really makes me mad.
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by ba7man(m): 8:00am On Aug 03, 2013
There is a flood plain close to where i stay. If i decide to build a bridge across it to save the long journey of driving around it and i toll it to generate money.......Woe betide any f00l that comes to take pix and pass it off as a Government failure.

These dullards are getting desperate.
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by Ayekotoo(m): 8:17am On Aug 03, 2013
Fashola has the best and competent aides be it, commissioners, special advisers, General managers, Directors etc

Aderostock: Lagos State Commissioner for Works and
Infrastructure, Dr Obafemi Hamzat, has
assured residents of Igando and Ayobo that
government would provide a modern bridge
that would link them with other communities.
Hamzat gave the promise in a statement
signed by the Head of Press and Public
Relations, Mr Biola Fagunwa, which was made
available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)
in Lagos, at the weekend.
He said that government was alive to its
responsibilities and would, as a matter of
policy, ensure inter-connectivity of
communities.
“We have undertaken the Okota-Itire link
bridge. We are working on Ajao-Ejigbo Bridge.
“Even the Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge is to address the
issue of communal linkage and reduction in
travel time across the state,” he said.
Hamzat said that the Igando-Ayobo situation
was not peculiar, adding that no comparison
should be drawn in terms of the situation of
the bridge.
The commissioner said that government was
constrained by funds and has to prioritise
road projects in order of their needs.
He explained that the traffic, population,
and economic importance of roads and
bridges and the expected impact of the
projects were some of the parameters used in
considering project prioritising.
Hamzat stated that the insinuations that the
government infrastructural development did
not favour the poor were wrong.
He explained that Alimosho area alone
enjoyed over 19 per cent of the total road
projects portfolio of the state since the
inception of the Fashola-led administration.
“With the number of road projects skewed in
favour of the non-elite communities, the
impacts are felt appropriately,” he said.
Hamzat reiterated the administration’s
commitment to deliver the Ayobo-Ipaja Road
this month.

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/en/community-news/item/15667-lagos-govt-to-construct-bridge-to-link-igando-ayobo,-other-communities.html
Re: Tale Of Two Link Bridges In Lagos by shevon: 8:23am On Aug 03, 2013
bloggernaija: Tale of two link bridge
One is the economic nerve centre of the city and where the future lies for tax revenues.
The other links a community which is basically in need of the toll revenues from the new bridge to get built and maintained.
Simple modern economics
The virtuous wave lifts all boats.

TRY HARDER IN YOUR EFFORT TO DISCREDIT FASHOLA.HIS PEOPLE DEY HIM BACK WELLA.ANYBODY NOT HAPPY CAN BOARD THE NEXT AVAILABLE TO GO AND ENJOY THE GOVERNOR OF WHEREVER.

Whenever we make comments we should always try to be very objective.
I live in Ashipa (which is the community where the bridge terminates at the Ayobo end) and I know how many times 'supposed' contractors LSG gave the contract to build the bridge properly have come to survey the area and this has been going on for 15years - since 1998 when the first bridge was built at the Solus Hotel axis of the Ojo-Iyana Oba Road - the wooden bridge shown here is the second of the three bridges built in the area by individuals which has in no little way helped to ease the stress of having to go and get tied down at gate bus stop and Ipaja.
The only time they come is during election period because Alimosho is the biggest in terms of population and they tend to get landslide votes from the area for deceiving the populace.
I know a lot of us staying in the area that pay our tax religiously, tax which was used to build the admiralty bridge (that I am not against); I have always been advocating for something I feel would be fair for all: Take a census of everybody paying tax in each local council and use, at least, 60% of tax being paid to engage in developmental programs in such area and see which areas will be more developed in terms of amount of tax being generated.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fashola Sacks All Lagos Council Chairmen / Seems Jonathan Is Wearing A Bullet Proof Under His Agbada To Borno. SEE PIC / Did Buhari Get His "I Belong To Everybody" Quote From The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.