Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,840 members, 7,820,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

X-men: Last Stand Review - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / X-men: Last Stand Review (4162 Views)

X-men: First Class' Follow-up Previously Converse / X-men Fanz;; X-men june 3rd, 2011 ***Review*** / X-men Origins: Wolverine - Excellent Cinematography (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

X-men: Last Stand Review by Vieira(m): 12:26am On May 27, 2006
X-Men:The Last Stand

Synopsis: A drug has been created that can strip a mutant of his powers, it is being called a cure. Magneto decides to take matters in his own hands, battle lines are being drawn, whose side will you be on?

Director : Brett Ratner
Starring : Ian McKellan, Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Kelsey Grammer, Famke Janssen, Bill Duke.

Wow!!
Wow, wow wow!!!
That is how I felt during this movie. This is a geek's wet dream come true!

Bryan Singer has done all the groundwork with the first two movies. He established the concept and introduced us to the main players over the first two films.
Well Brett Ratner has stepped to the plate and hit it right out of the park!
This is a truly comic book movie, it captures all the glory and power that can be conveyed on the printed page.
This is the movie all superhero fans always imagined after reading a comic. It was grand, the powers were uncanny, the fights awesome and the sheer spectacle jaw dropping.
Well I better stop gushing! But can I??
Well as you can guess I LOVED this film. I was very uncertain about Brett Ratner when he took over from Singer but boy did he deliver!

Where in the case of Singer the story was key and the action sequences just a nice to have, for Ratner he knew that first and foremost super heroes were all about their abilities and while he provided a good story to hold it together he never let the story get in the way of the excitement and action of this film.
Yep, the film rarely slowed to the point where you got bored.

All the minor nitpicks of fans over the first two films seemed to be addressed in this film.
He gave us a full blown Ice Man, he gave us the training room known as the Danger Room, he even gave us a Sentinel, and best of all he gave us full blown super powered mayhem.
Magneto was magnificent in his displays of power
His crushing of the convoy transporting Mystique was a joy to watch but his rerouting of the Golden Gate bridge was a tour de force of magnetic power. Then we get to see Jean Grey become Dark Phoenix, for people not familiar with the comics, it is basically a storyline in which Grey's power evolves to a dangerously high level due to a near death experience and she becomes an elemental force which is all desire and rage.

There was enough display of powers to satisfy the most jaded viewer and the fight scenes were very inventive.
Storm got to shine in this film and also kicked ass!

Ian McKellan's portrayal of Magneto is excellent, especially his disdain for humans. The scene were he casually abandoned Mystique because she had become human was chilling.

The movie is about a “cure” that has been found for mutants, there is concern among the X-Men that being a mutant is seen as a disease and they have issues with that but Magneto takes a harder stance, he sees it as an unwelcome development and foresees a time when all mutants will be forced to take it. When he sees that it is already being used as a weapon against mutants he becomes even more incensed.

He declares war against the US and basically becomes the Osama Bin Laden of the mutant world. He decides to take on the Government with his army of mutants he has gathered together. The X-Men are the only people with a chance of stopping him, the battle lines are drawn.

Into this volatile mix throw an unstable mega powerful Jean Grey and you get a final sequence that is a joy to watch. I could go on and on about this movie. I have not even mentioned the Juggernaut or the surprise demise of certain characters, or the twist scene after the credits!
I cannot wait to watch this again. I will not be waiting for the DVD!

This is now my favourite Superhero movie, taking over the slot from Spiderman 2. I cannot see how Superman Returns can even come close to this.

Whew!

X-Men, Last Stand gets an uncannily high 9.5/10

Disagree with this score? want to have a go at me? then rant on here: http://www.rantatdapo.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27

Shazam!
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by Seun(m): 10:23am On May 27, 2006
Ok relax, I go watch am!
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by Oracle(m): 2:58am On May 29, 2006

Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by Seun(m): 2:29pm On May 29, 2006
Wow, I hadn't noticed that Halle Berry has such mighty hips!
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by eveseh(f): 3:29pm On May 29, 2006
i love it it's cool
i really wanna see it
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by iice(f): 4:31pm On May 29, 2006
Just watched it couple of nights ago, Sooo love the movie, thot Brett Ratner wouldnt hold up the franchise but he suprised me, man the scene with Phoenix n Prof X gave me goose bumps, Can't believe what happened, was totally unexpected. My small problem was NightCrawler was not in it and Angel's part was small but i think thats coz (well am hoping) there will b another part wink
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by eveseh(f): 4:33pm On May 29, 2006
iice:

Just watched it couple of nights ago, Sooo love the movie, thot Brett Ratner wouldnt hold up the franchise but he suprised me, man the scene with Phoenix n Prof X gave me goose bumps, Can't believe what happened, was totally unexpected. My small problem was NightCrawler was not in it and Angel's part was small but i think thats because (well am hoping) there will b another part wink

i wish i was wit u grin :Pto watch it together
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by Badman888(m): 5:06pm On May 29, 2006
got to check its availability online now, cant go and pay to watch it
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by bami(m): 11:32pm On May 29, 2006
i'm a huge fan of superhero films, especially the x-men, spiderman, the mask, daredevil and the others too numerous to mention. i have watched the first 2 sequels of the x-men and although i havn't seen this one yet, i got dissapointed when i didnt see the man with the killer cards " Gambit" because he is my favourite x-man but any way i've seen the trailer and its fantastic, its the best ever, blockbuster of the year.cant wait to see it.

comics2film fans watch out for hellboy2, ghostryder.
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by lakeside4love(m): 12:54am On May 30, 2006
Hmmm Isnt the same V on TN?,

I like this ur preview oo, I dey go post am for our forum joo,

Ille and co will enjoy readin this ur powerful preview,

btw wetin dey pursue u for tn na, Bros V??
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by bolex(m): 6:40am On May 30, 2006
I have seen this movie

damn , this sh*t is good

I actually saw it ALONE cos I was hurt by papermoon's death

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

mofo
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by Jide3000(m): 11:09am On May 30, 2006
****PLEASE BEWARE OF MOVIE SPOILERS****

What can I say about this movie, well in my own opinion, this was a let down, if u what action with no regard for story then this is a good movie. My problem is with what the writers have done with some of the charaters, take Juggernut for an example any xmen fan knows that he is Xaviers brother and yet this is not address, its like they dont know each other and then we see spike attack wolverine and spike is played by a white actor when spike is storms nephew, basically it was watching an alternate xmen universe where everything from the comics has been dismissed and a new story line has been created I could go on with all the floors with all the characters, the only charater that has grown is Storm we get to see her in action a lot more that the last 2 movies (could be because Halle Berry wouldnt do the film unless her charater her more of a headline role).

One thing that had me laughing was the scene where Magneto (God bless Sir Ian) moves the bridge in daylight and the very next shot its night time!!! wow i am sure the director thought no one would notice.

Like i said i could go on and on about how i think they killed what could have been a very good movie, but thats my own view, the movie will make a lot of money as one would expect, in short, if u know nothing about the origins of the xmen you will enjoy this movie, but if like me u do, then u maybe disappointed
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by beyunce(f): 12:05pm On May 30, 2006
Hop its goin to be da bomb
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by Kurunmi(m): 12:21pm On May 30, 2006
For all going to see X-Men III

PLEASE STAY TILL THE END OF THE MOVIE CREDITS, DO NOT GET UP AND LEAVE AFTER THE MOVIE, THERE IS ONE LAST VERY IMPORTANT CLIP.

I had to go and watch a second time to catch thsi clip, if the cinema tries to shut doen the projection while the credits are on, please insist on them running it to the end.

Good luck and have fun, it was the bomb
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by Vieira(m): 2:42pm On May 30, 2006
Jide3000:

****PLEASE BEWARE OF MOVIE SPOILERS****

What can I say about this movie, well in my own opinion, this was a let down, if u what action with no regard for story then this is a good movie. My problem is with what the writers have done with some of the charaters, take Juggernut for an example any xmen fan knows that he is Xaviers brother and yet this is not address, its like they don't know each other and then we see spike attack wolverine and spike is played by a white actor when spike is storms nephew, basically it was watching an alternate xmen universe where everything from the comics has been dismissed and a new story line has been created I could go on with all the floors with all the characters, the only charater that has grown is Storm we get to see her in action a lot more that the last 2 movies (could be because Halle Berry wouldnt do the film unless her charater her more of a headline role).

One thing that had me laughing was the scene where Magneto (God bless Sir Ian) moves the bridge in daylight and the very next shot its night time!!! wow i am sure the director thought no one would notice.

Like i said i could go on and on about how i think they killed what could have been a very good movie, but thats my own view, the movie will make a lot of money as one would expect, in short, if u know nothing about the origins of the xmen you will enjoy this movie, but if like me u do, then u maybe disappointed

I agree there were some flaws in the movie but overall I managed to ignore them. As for Spike, that character is not Spike it is actually Omega Red. Spike does not exist in the comics only in the cartoon on TV. Omega Red has metal coming out from his wrists while Spike has bones coming from everywhere.

Having said that, there were lots of mistakes in other characters like Calisto and Psylocke, thier powers were all wrong.

But I still liked it.

Lakeside it is the same V.

I had to leave that arena for personal reasons.

How you dey.
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by bami(m): 2:48pm On May 30, 2006
i saw jean grey,of course now phoenix with the brotherhood. Did she join them
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by Vieira(m): 4:12pm On May 30, 2006
She did join them. She became the Dark Phoenix and went to the darkside!
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by Scorpio(f): 5:13am On May 31, 2006
my fav line ''do you know who i am? i'm juggernaught bitch!'' cheesy hmm, i would say d movie was fun tho, i haven't been followin them from d comics tho, but it was worth my lil money sha grin Warren(d dude with d wings) was sexy f'real! n wolverine's butt was hmm, aiite, i'm done! cheesy
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by lauryn(f): 5:14am On May 31, 2006
oooooooooooooooo, na him yanch i send u go look, naughty gal
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by Scorpio(f): 5:15am On May 31, 2006
lol
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by 1ofall(f): 10:04am On May 31, 2006
Saw this just last night, and it certainly made for enjoyable viewing, good action sequences but the time for the movie was too short, I felt there was too much squashed into the time available. Would have liked to see more developement of Storm's character, the girl who could read mind, sense mutants, etc had a relatively small part, rogue might as well have been killed off for all the part she played in the movie,
All in all, the concept of the cure was good but I think there just wasn't enough time to develope the characters as they deserved(sme of them anyway) , me thinks there might be an extended movie on the dvd, I missed that bit at the end but saw magneto's metal chess piece move, I don't believe the last stand is the last stand at all,
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by Scorpio(f): 2:08pm On May 31, 2006
Rogue was just desperate n frustrated. imagine not being able to hold someone, dat would hurt big time, i'm really not mad that she got the cure, then again, she wouldn't have been able to touch Magneto or n e of his crew that easily undecided
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by bolex(m): 7:14pm On May 31, 2006
I'M THE JAGGAERNAUGHT BTCH

Every1's favourite line

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Hey do you thInk Magneto is coming back ?
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by Scorpio(f): 7:16pm On May 31, 2006
not unless he gets shot with adamantium or wtv it was that he's had before, i think not!
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by bolex(m): 11:37pm On May 31, 2006
<<mod says: spoilers not welcome, thanks!>>

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

I hope the bring gambit into the X-men force

By the way

Did they advertise SUPERMAN RETURNS

I am going to see that movie as well
Re: X-men: Last Stand Review by lauryn(f): 11:56pm On May 31, 2006
Its so unnecessary.

(1)

The Shannara Chronicles / Merline Season 5 Is Out-download Merline Season 5 / 5 Ways To Download Nigeria Video – Nollywood Movies And Music Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.