Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Deportation Saga Which Is Really The Truth - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deportation Saga Which Is Really The Truth (1516 Views)

How Lagos Broke Its Own Laws On Deportation - Femi Falana / Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria / Is Dangote Really The Richest Nigerian??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deportation Saga Which Is Really The Truth by 9javoice1(m): 1:36am On Aug 03, 2013
Deportation: Obi writes Jonathan as NBA threatens legal action

on August 01, 2013 / in News 2:00 am / Comments

Tweet

By VINCENT UJUMADU

AWKA — GOVERNOR Peter Obi of Anambra State has protested to President Goodluck Jonathan, the alleged deportation of 72 persons by Lagos State government. The deporteees were dumped at Upper Iweka area of Onitsha at night last week.

Obi’s letter to the President came on the heels of a threat by Onitsha branch of Nigeria Bar Association, NBA, to drag Lagos State government to court over the issue

Obi’s letter titled: “Unconstitutional, illegal and forced deportation of Nigerians to Anambra State from Lagos State” reads: “I wish to respectfully bring to your due attention a very disturbing development that has vast national security and political implications.

“Last September and again on July 24, 2013, the Lagos State Government contrived inexplicable reasons to round up Nigerians, whom they alleged were Anambra indigenes (most of whom the SSS report shows clearly are not from Anambra State) and forcefully deported them to Anambra State, dumping them as it were in the commercial city of Onitsha (see attached SSS report).

*Sranded persons numbering about 70 allegedly dumped at the upper axis of Onitsha, Anambra State at about 3:20 a.m. by unknown persons, yesterday. PHOTO: NAN. lSee story on page 14.
*File photo: Sranded persons numbering about 70 allegedly dumped at the upper axis of Onitsha, Anambra State at about 3:20 a.m. by unknown persons. PHOTO: NAN.

“This latest callous act, in which Lagos State did not even bother to consult with Anambra State, before deporting 72 persons considered to be of Igbo extraction to Anambra State, is illegal, unconstitutional and a blatant violation of the human rights of these individuals and of the Nigerian Constitution.

“Your Excellency, no amount of offense committed by these people, even if deemed extremely criminal, would justify or warrant such cruel action by a State authority and in a democracy.

“Even refugees are protected by the law. Furthermore, the extant provisions of the Nigerian Constitution states: ‘Every citizen of Nigeria is entitled to move freely throughout Nigeria and to reside in any part, thereof, and no citizen shall be expelled from Nigeria or refused entry thereby or exit therefrom’.

“Sir, forced deportation such as this, which Lagos State seems to be making a norm in addressing its domestic challenges are egregious and calls into question the validity of Nigeria and its federating components. Such acts violate human decency, the rule of law and constitutionally ordered liberties. Were Anambra and other states in the federation to resort to such extreme measures, there would be total anarchy.

“It would amount to complicity on the part of the states and the Federal Government, if this issue is not thoroughly investigated and some form of censure brought to bear on Lagos State. I suggest, Sir, that you direct the Attorney-General of the Federation to investigate these incidents.

“Naturally, I have the obligation to protect the interest and welfare of all Nigerians resident in Anambra State irrespective of their states of origin and I would be left with no option other than reciprocity or reprisal”.

I will, however, put any such reaction in abeyance until Your Excellency has had the opportunity to address our concerns.

“Please accept, Your Excellency, the renewed assurances of my highest regards.”

Similarly, rising from a meeting in Onitsha, the NBA frowned at what it described as flagrant violation of human rights of some Nigerians by Lagos State government and warned that it could be forced to take appropriate legal action against Lagos State government if the ugly incident was not redressed.

In a communiqué, the chairman, Mr. D.C. Maduewesi and secretary, Mr. Steve Ononye, recalled that a similar incident occurred at the same Upper- Iweka in Onitsha last year in which over 100 persons of South-East origin residing in Lagos State were deported to Anambra State without any reason.

According to the association, most of the victims of the illegal deportation were innocent Nigerians who lived below poverty level and regretted that a state like Lagos that has a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) at the helm of affairs could embark on flagrant abuse of the rights of fellow Nigerians.

It wondered when it became fashionable for a state in the country to engage in internal deportation of fellow citizens without tangible reasons and called for adequate compensation from Lagos State government to alleviate the suffering already experienced by the deportees.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/deportation-obi-writes-jonathan-as-nba-threatens-legal-action/#sthash.a7sp9yeB.dpuf

Fashola Replies Peter Obi Over Alleged Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos…Accuses Anambra Gov Of Mischief

Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola has accused his Anambra state counterpart of trying to politicise last week relocation of some destitutes to Onitsha with a view to making cheap political gains from such in the November 16 governorship election in the south east state.

Fashola who for the first time spoke on the issue while fielding questions from journalists after inspecting some on-going infrastructural projects in the state said “It is unfortunate that my colleague governor has made this a media issue. As I speak, I haven’t received any telephone call or letter from him to complain. And don’t think that is the way government works. On less important matters like this, he had called me before.

“This is a political season and Anambra will be up for contest. And in a political season, unusual things happen and perhaps we are living in an interesting time. And some of the evidence was when one sees two adults kissing on television, it tells you that something is afoot. And it is really important to say that our hospitality in Lagos state is legendary. And it is a global legend that the people of Lagos state are hospitable people. And so is the present government of the state and previous administration”.

“I think that there are large Igbo community in the state. And their presence is evident in Alaba with the Alaba International Market and the ASPAMDA market. And they are doing their business peacefully while the state government is working tirelessly to provide the required transport system, that will help improve the travel time and their businesses.

“There is too much at stake for anyone to begin to insight the Igbo community against their host state. There is too much at stake here. It is a very dangerous and unwarranted precedent. And I hope that common sense will prevail here. Also for those who are praying for blood should know that there is too much at risk here.”

Source

'Deportation' of Igbos from Lagos: Senator Ngige speaks

Former Governor of Anambra State and Senator representing Anambra Central Senatorial District, Dr. Chris Nwabueze Ngige has addressed the media on the alleged deportation of ndi Igbo from Lagos State. Senator Ngige stated this in a letter to Aka Ikenga a socio cultural group which had requested that he take up the matter with the Governor of Lagos State. Below are

the contents of his letter and attached annexes( communication between Lagos State and Anambra governments)

Greetings,

I write in respect of the above subject matter, which Aka Ikenga at its 28th July, 2013 general meeting which I was privileged to attend as Special Guest of Honour, requested me to take up with the Lagos State Government. I am glad to inform you that I was received in audience the day after, by His Excellency; Governor Raji Babatunde Fashola( SAN) the Governor of Lagos State and the issue was discussed exhaustively.

At the meeting, the Lagos State Governor disclosed that contrary to claims, the issue in question has nothing to do with deportation, but a Social Welfare Intervention, involving several homeless destitutes and other psychiatric cases roaming the streets and some living under the bridges in Lagos. These people were taken in and treated and cared for by the Lagos State Government free of charge and thereafter needed to be reintegrated with their families.

After this rehabilitation the affected people disclosed their true identities and the disclosure revealed that 14 of them were from Anambra State. For the purpose of reintegration with their kith and kin back home( most of them had nobody in Lagos) and for further social support and care, Lagos State Government communicated the Anambra State Government as well as other affected state governments to come forward and identify and take over their people. (see letter as annex 1)

On receipt of this communication, Anambra State Government requested for the identities of those claiming to be from the state( see letter as annex 2). The list was promptly supplied to them by Lagos State for immediate and urgent action( see letter as annex 3).

With further contact and pressure Anambra State Government preferred that the handing over be done at bridge head and Lagos State obliged but found no Anambra State Government Representative on arrival at the agreed date and was hence forced to leave the people at a government office they found at the Niger Bridgehead.

The Lagos State Government further explained that this kind of exchange of destitutes occur between states, as she recently went to Akwa Ibom State to take back two of her rehabilitated citizens.( see letter as annex 4).

You will recall Mr. President of Aka Ikenga, that I had assured the Aka Ikenga members that the Lagos State Government that I am familiar with will not go out of its way to cause hardship to our people and this is evident in its disposition as the first Government of Lagos State to appoint an Igbo as a commissioner and many others into other cabinet positions.

For promotion and maintenance of the good relationship that exists between the Igbos who form about 25% of the population of Lagos State and their Lagos host, I have secured an appointment for you, the President and Executive members of Aka Ikenga to further discuss this matter and other sundry issues affecting Ndi Igbo in Lagos State, with the Lagos State Governor on a date that will be mutually agreed by both parties.

As a member of the Action Congress of Nigeria ( ACN), which is the party in power in Lagos State, I wish to further reassure you and Aka Ikenga in particular and Ndi Igbo in general, that the government of Lagos State, that I am familiar with does not and will not harbour any anti Igbo agenda, as being, insinuated in some certain quarters.

Accept as usual the assurances of my highest regards.

Senator Chris Nwabueze Ngige, MD, OON, KSJ

Senator representing Anambra Central Senatorial District

( Former Governor Anambra State, 2003-2006 )

http://elombah.com/index.php/articles-mainmenu/16894-deportation-of-igbos-from-lagos-senator-ngige-speaks

Re: Deportation Saga Which Is Really The Truth by 9javoice1(m): 1:36am On Aug 03, 2013
annex 5

Re: Deportation Saga Which Is Really The Truth by masu: 2:20am On Aug 03, 2013
Fashola Replies Peter Obi Over Alleged Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos…Accuses Anambra Gov Of Mischief

Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola has accused his Anambra state counterpart of trying to politicise last week relocation of some destitutes to Onitsha with a view to making cheap political gains from such in the November 16 governorship election in the south east state.

Fashola who for the first time spoke on the issue while fielding questions from journalists after inspecting some on-going infrastructural projects in the state said “It is unfortunate that my colleague governor has made this a media issue. As I speak, I haven’t received any telephone call or letter from him to complain. And don’t think that is the way government works. On less important matters like this, he had called me before. 1

“This is a political season and Anambra will be up for contest. And in a political season, unusual things happen and perhaps we are living in an interesting time. And some of the evidence was when one sees two adults kissing on television, it tells you that something is afoot. And it is really important to say that our hospitality in Lagos state is legendary. And it is a global legend that the people of Lagos state are hospitable people. And so is the present government of the state and previous administration”.

“I think that there are large Igbo community in the state. And their presence is evident in Alaba with the Alaba International Market and the ASPAMDA market. And they are doing their business peacefully while the state government is working tirelessly to provide the required transport system, that will help improve the travel time and their businesses.

“There is too much at stake for anyone to begin to insight the Igbo community against their host state. There is too much at stake here. It is a very dangerous and unwarranted precedent. And I hope that common sense will prevail here. Also for those who are praying for blood should know that there is too much at risk here.” 2

the first bolded response from Gov Fashola shows that there are no communication by both governor.
then my conclusion is that fashola is wrong by waiting for Gov Obi to call him first, he would have called since he didn't hear from Obi. so fashola action is unconstitutional. and why should a "SAN" looks down on the law he ought to keep.

Bolded 2:
fashola assertion of blood here is a call for lagos state antics against other Nigeria state:
so far there is no response from any ibo part treatning for blood, so where and how did fashola get into blood shed or was he planning for all these recently.
fashola make 3 times repitation of a lot is at risk?
as much as I know Gov obi and ikenga,massob group only speaks on the issue of deportation of 72 peoples to anambara.
I don't see other igbos be it ouk or any other group saying anything outside of unconstitutional deportation.
so how else in this world did fashola brings in other risks into it? our general understanding of "a lot is at risk" is ibo properties and business in lagos. so how did it come into fasholas mind when that is not the subject matter. I blv that ibos shoulb be careful and wise bcus fashola is upto dangerous trend against ibos.

On Dr.Ngige response of the deportation:
it pains me harder to see that lagos state has no document supporting their claims till Dr.Ngige's visit, the least lagos state claims is that Anambra state did not responed to their letter.
so how on earth can chris ngige choose to accept 14 names in the quote document as a prove that both government really discourse while the people deported to Anambra is 72 in number not 14.
then a look at the 14 names shows to us that most of the fabricated names are not even ibos and some are not anambra like names:
no:1- nokonu Ani (ikanu) (ikanu l.g.a)------false bcus anambra has no l.g.a called ikanu?
no:4- Emmanuel okon (ikolegbene) -----------false bcus ibos doesn't bear names as okon only crossriver/akwaibom do.
no;5- ndubisi kalu (Onitsha) (ogbosili l.g.a)--- false bcus Onitsha people and anambra has no Kalu on Abia do.
no:7- andy oshornogor ------false bcus oshornogor is benin not ibo
no:14- Victoria agboola .-----false bcus agboola is not ibo but benin or ondo.

my summary is that Peter is still right writing to the presidency since fashola documents complicated him the more by shiping 72 instead of 14. and Anambra people has not come to clear who is and who is not from their state b4 lagos ship them. and most of the destitutes are not from anambra. most of ths people are not destitutes bcus most was caught on their way to their shops.
Re: Deportation Saga Which Is Really The Truth by Ndata(m): 5:03am On Aug 03, 2013
In addition to that,Joseph Etoo Gbogbosan L.G .A Obudu. How on earth did Fashola come about these names and L.G.A .There is no local government area like Gbogbosan and no town or village that is Obudu in Anambra State.Anambras don't bear a name like Etoo.

(1) (Reply)

After Demoloshing Billboards Peter Obi Again Stop LP Rally In Ekwuemesquare Awka / The letter :Obasanjo Accuse Jonathan And Tinubu Of Foul Play. / List Of The Most Corrupt Countries In The World According To T.I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.