Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,743 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! (2365 Views)

My Cafe Needs Help. / Help, I'm About To Close Down My Cafe / My Cafe's Internet Connection Is Slow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by whatnext: 9:06pm On May 30, 2008
Hack*ers have taken over my cafe.

There's a program that's been installed on my systems that gathers information (passwords and all).  The program is hidden.  It is not even on the add/remove program in the control panel.

What do I do? How do I remove the program?  I plan on formatting all the systems but how do make sure that even when they install the program, it doesn't stay.

I am losing my customer because of my inability to resolve the problems.

I use DeepFreeze Standard Edition.
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by Delta007(m): 12:30am On May 31, 2008
Do you know the name of the program? If you do, you can google it and find ways to uninstall it, perhaps thru the registry. Or you may as well reformat your drives.
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by fsb(m): 12:45am On May 31, 2008
THINGS YOU SHOULD CONSIDER DOING B4 ALLOWING ACCESS TO CUSTOMERS

1. Format all your computers and re-install OS
2. Purchase and install genuine (not pirated version) PC care programs. Option 1: Norton 360, Option 2: System Mechanic Pro (it also comes with iolo antivirus, firewall, system guard programs). I use the latter on my laptop though, and its really great.
3. Install genuine copy of DeepFreeze, enterprise edition if possible and do system restart early morning b4 operations assuming you were doing overnight browsing.
4. Install all essential programs (including IE, firefox 2 or maxthon browsers; Yahoo Messenger; and Office 2003 Standard edition ( Genuine copy is expensive so you know what, ). Do this so customers don't have to complain and stuff
5. Disable ability to install any programs on any of the terminals

I guess that's what i can think of for now,
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by whatnext: 12:38pm On May 31, 2008
Thanks for your replies, guys.

@Delta007, I do not know the name of the program.

@fsb, How do I get a genuine copy of Enterprise edition of DeepFreeze?

Is it proper for one to use an anti-virus with DeepFreeze?

I was told by a system engineer that one should use an anti-virus with DeepFreeze, since the updates won't stay for long.
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by Martins00(m): 9:55pm On May 31, 2008
whatnext:

Hack*ers have taken over my cafe.

There's a program that's been installed on my systems that gathers information (passwords and all). The program is hidden. It is not even on the add/remove program in the control panel.

What do I do? How do I remove the program? I plan on formatting all the systems but how do make sure that even when they install the program, it doesn't stay.

I am losing my customer because of my inability to resolve the problems.

I use DeepFreeze Standard Edition.

Hello,
Well . . . i'd say the best thing u could do for ur internetcafe now is the following;

1. Format all your computers and re-install OS
2. Install all software necessary on each of the client computers, including the café software.
3. Get ur self WinRollback.
4. Install Winrollback on every computer customers have access to. (Client computers)
5. Make sure u could restart all client computers from the Control Computer. Most cafe software do that. e.g Cafesuite

Modern internet-cafés do not use AntiV software because of high risk of infection, time wastage in scanning, possibility of not detecting threats and at most it doesnt offer enough protection against installation of unwanted programmes. AntiV software are generally for personal use and also not ideal for public usage.
WinRollBack is ideal for Schools, Companies, Internet-cafés, and also ideal for testing new software. Only the administrator of WinRollBack can determine wht software could be permanently installed on PCs. As the administrator, u could test new software which would be automatically wiped off your computer after restart. WinRollBack is very easy to use and it protects ur Computers from all kind of intruders, virus, spyware, adware, bugs, malware, etc. WinRollBack is password protected and could only be deinstalled by the Administrator. Try it! You'll never regret using it.

N.B: Its not advisable for personal use.
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by fsb(m): 4:18am On Jun 02, 2008
whatnext:

Thanks for your replies, guys.

@fsb, How do I get a genuine copy of Enterprise edition of DeepFreeze?

Is it proper for one to use an anti-virus with DeepFreeze?

I was told by a system engineer that one should use an anti-virus with DeepFreeze, since the updates won't stay for long.

Deep Freeze is not marketed as an antivirus product. However, Deep Freeze will protect workstations from any virus. Just restart the Frozen workstation and the virus is gone. Many viruses require a fundamental change to be made to the core files and only become active on restart. With Deep Freeze installed and activated, these viruses are deleted upon restart and therefore never become active.

So it all depends on you. But left to me, I'll use DeepFreeze Enterprise + Antivirus

If you need original software, contact me via email on k_adeniran2001@yahoo.com

Regards,
fsb

PS: when you were talking about what your engineer said, which updates was he referring to?
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by whatnext: 12:18pm On Jun 02, 2008
Once again, thanks guys. I have formatted all my systems. Before the formatting, (I don't know if it's the version of my software), even with DeepFreeze, there were some kind of 'harmless' virus that change my .doc files to .scr.

@Martins00, can u gimme a site where I can download WinRollBack? It seems it works like DeepFreeze too, I want to check it out.

@fsb, I meant to say:

I was told by a system engineer that one should not use an anti-virus with DeepFreeze, since the updates won't stay for long.

The updates i'm referring to are the antivirus updates.
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by Martins00(m): 12:38pm On Jun 02, 2008
@Martins00, can u gimme a site where I can download WinRollBack? It seems it works like DeepFreeze too, I want to check it out.

The software is tight! Here is the link http://www.pcwelt.de/downloads/tools_utilities/system-utilities/19674/avira_winrollback/.

Its a freeware but the full version cost 33.57€.
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by Martins00(m): 12:41pm On Jun 02, 2008
If u have problems downloading, just give me ur email and i'll send it to u "unpacked". Most Internet-cafés here in Regensburg use it. Just try it!
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by whatnext: 1:18pm On Jun 02, 2008
@Martins00, I just sent you a mail. Thanks.
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by Martins00(m): 1:24pm On Jun 02, 2008
Saw ur email. I'll do that when i get home today. I'm at school right now.
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by bigrovar(m): 1:41pm On Jun 02, 2008
next time when u want to setup the systems in ur cafe , make sure u create a limited account for users , so that only u would have a passworded admin account , that way the cafe users can do wht they want which is to browse , without making any deep changes to ur system, although this comes by default on my Unix based notebook , most window user are not quite aware of the same option on windows
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by Martins00(m): 7:30am On Jun 03, 2008
Sent it already. Goodluck with it!
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by aphoe(m): 11:31am On Jun 03, 2008
its not necessary you format ur systems. get a very good anti-spy software. it will detect and remove all know spy softwares from your system.

there is this one i used to have (a trial version though) i think it is called black hat anti spy. i am not sure thats the name just google anti-spy software
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by deffy09: 12:29am On Jun 06, 2008
HI MAN WISH I COULD HANG AROUND AND SAY MRE BUT JST PASSING BY grin WELL MY GUY UR SYSTEMS ARE INFECTED WITH TROJAN HORSE OR KEYLOGGERS WHICH STEALS AND RECORDS EVERY KEY STROKES AND IN SOME ASPECTS CAPTURE SCREEN SHOT OF UR SYSTEM DESKTOP PER SECONDS AND ALL THIS LOGS ENTERED ARE SENT TO THE GUYS ACCOUNT I CNNT ACTUALLY CALL THEM HACKERS COZ THEY ARENT WELL I DNNT TINK THERE IS A NEED FOR FORMATING UR SYSTEM BUT AS FOR ALL THOSE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARES I ASSURE U 100% THT IT CNNT REMOVE THIS TROJAN HORSE OR KEYLOGGS THEY HAVE ALREADY HIDDEN THEMSELVES IN UR WIN OR SYS DIRECTORY NO AMOUNT OF SCANNIN WILL BE ABLE TO DETECT THIS TROJANS LIKE THE TROJANS AND KEYLOGGERS I USE DNNT GET ME WRONG AM INTO PROGRAMMIN AND HACKING BUT AM NT INTO BLACKHACKING(BAD HACKING) I DO THIS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES IF U DO KNW WELL ABT COMPUTERS
TYPE CTRL+ALT+DEL FOR THE TASKMANAGER WINDOW THN GO TO PROCESSES I DNNT KNW THE NAME OF THE TROJAN BUT ULL DEFINITELY FYND AN UNUSUALL PROCESS RUNNIN ON THE SYSTEM THN GO TO RUN TYPE CMD.EXE THN TYPE THE COMMAND KILL PROCESS AND THE REST IS BLAH BLAH BLAH U RUN A CAFE U SHOULD KNW WHT TO DO NEXT PEACE OUT PLS AM IN A HURRY IF U DNNT UNDERSTND ANYTIN HERE SND ME A MESSAGE PEACE OUT
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by Martins00(m): 9:29am On Jun 06, 2008
deffy09:

HI MAN WISH I COULD HANG AROUND AND SAY MRE BUT JST PASSING BY grin WELL MY GUY UR SYSTEMS ARE INFECTED WITH TROJAN HORSE OR KEYLOGGERS WHICH STEALS AND RECORDS EVERY KEY STROKES AND IN SOME ASPECTS CAPTURE SCREEN SHOT OF UR SYSTEM DESKTOP PER SECONDS AND ALL THIS LOGS ENTERED ARE SENT TO THE GUYS ACCOUNT I CNNT ACTUALLY CALL THEM HACKERS COZ THEY ARENT WELL I DNNT TINK THERE IS A NEED FOR FORMATING UR SYSTEM BUT AS FOR ALL THOSE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARES I ASSURE You 100% THT IT CNNT REMOVE THIS TROJAN HORSE OR KEYLOGGS THEY HAVE ALREADY HIDDEN THEMSELVES IN UR WIN OR SYS DIRECTORY NO AMOUNT OF SCANNIN WILL BE ABLE TO DETECT THIS TROJANS LIKE THE TROJANS AND KEYLOGGERS I USE DNNT GET ME WRONG AM INTO PROGRAMMIN AND HACKING BUT AM NT INTO BLACKHACKING(BAD HACKING) I DO THIS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES IF You DO KNW WELL ABT COMPUTERS
TYPE CTRL+ALT+DEL FOR THE TASKMANAGER WINDOW THN GO TO PROCESSES I DNNT KNW THE NAME OF THE TROJAN BUT ULL DEFINITELY FYND AN UNUSUALL PROCESS RUNNIN ON THE SYSTEM THN GO TO RUN TYPE CMD.EXE THN TYPE THE COMMAND KILL PROCESS AND THE REST IS BLAH BLAH BLAH You RUN A CAFE You SHOULD KNW WHT TO DO NEXT PEACE OUT PLS AM IN A HURRY IF You DNNT UNDERSTND ANYTIN HERE SND ME A MESSAGE PEACE OUT

Mr Programmer , you forgot to tell the poster how to protect himself from future occurence. For me, you dont sound like a Programmer. You sound like one who has been too busy on Google reading much about Trojaners. You had better don't show off otherwise i'll put you into practice. wink

Jst kiddin wink
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by Saddam: 12:13am On Jun 09, 2008
Hey Mr. Aphoe

IT Hussler, His problem isnt a Spyware Issue, I wonder wht type of Consultation and Solutions u will provide to pple when u cant remedy basic problem like this.

Just Go get your self grounded in IT before u jump out and start makin a hell of Noise with your annoyin ads, 

The guy's Cafe workstations are either running one of these programs, Remote Password Stealer, Refog Keylogger http://www.refog.com/

Wht He needs is Drive Vaccine Software or others as he has been advised by Martin & Co.

This is the ideal solution for locking down public access computers workstations, preventing users from installing Password Naughty Boys

aphoe:

its not necessary you format your systems. get a very good anti-spy software. it will detect and remove all know spy softwares from your system.

there is this one i used to have (a trial version though) i think it is called black hat anti spy. i am not sure thats the name just google anti-spy software
Re: Hack*ers Have Taken Over My Cafe! by ramonmulti(m): 4:27pm On Jun 09, 2008
I have norton 360 anithvirus and i give it you at 12k. call me at 08033924627, anayo

(1) (Reply)

Mini Price: Laptops And Netbooks / D Advantage Of Free Dos Laptop Over Those With Windows OS / How To Activate PES 2016 Multiplayer Mode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.