Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,961 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? (2300 Views)

6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 / Why Do Religious People Fight Science? / Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 05, 2013
Isnt this a form of hypocrisy?

Religious Nigerians here bash atheists and secularism but they would praise God and give testimonies when they get visas to secular countries where atheism is on the rise. You cant fly to london on holiday from Lagos during christmas or summer without a full plane of Nigerians.

Why dont religious Nigerians run to ultra-religious countries? If religion is good, why dont they go to very religious countries?

The average Nigerian does not speak Japanese/Chinese but you will see them in those countries. Why not go to Mexico or Cuba which are nearer and have an easier language to learn?

It seems to me that these religious people value material things they can get from these secular countries (eg better healthcare, strong currencies, higher salaries, better transport systems) yet their holy books tell them to be spiritual and to avoid being materialistic/vain.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by bolaino(m): 2:23pm On Aug 05, 2013
nairaland Richard Dawkins, pls leave Nigeria Christians alone oooooooo.
;Dnairaland Richard Dawkins, pls leave Nigeria Christians alone oooooooo.
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 05, 2013
bolaino: nairaland Richard Dawkins, pls leave Nigeria Christians alone oooooooo.
;Dnairaland Richard Dawkins, pls leave Nigeria Christians alone oooooooo.

lol...bros, I no be Richard Dawkins ooooo
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by MrTroll(m): 3:32pm On Aug 05, 2013
I hope you know that this your OP is full of sh.it?undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by manmustwac(m): 4:39pm On Aug 05, 2013
You are 100% right. I even think of that at times myself. Imagine thousands of Nigerians each week praying to get visa to go to atheist European countries. When they get there they go against God by overstaying after their visa has expired, do marriage of convenience so they can avoid going back to their very religious God fearing gountry & stay remain in their atheist country, they work here. Illegally, they thank God after getting their stay or british passport dubiously & frosbel anony & co get the bloody cheek to threaten us non believers with Hellfire while enjoying all the benefits of life in an atheist country

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 05, 2013
Mr Troll: I hope you know that this your OP is full of sh.it?undecided

Wassap trollington?

Careto explain why you dont see the hypocrisy in religious peeps running to secular countries?
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 05, 2013
manmustwac: You are 100% right. I even think of that at times myself. Imagine thousands of Nigerians each week praying to get visa to go to atheist European countries. When they get there they go against God by overstaying after their visa has expired, do marriage of convenience so they can avoid going back to their very religious God fearing gountry & stay remain in their atheist country, they work here. Illegally, they thank God after getting their stay or british passport dubiously & frosbel anony & co get the bloody cheek to threaten us non believers with Hellfire while enjoying all the benefits of life in an atheist country

You have summarized it but let me add one issue;

-some religious nigerians run to secular England and then beg churches to house them and give them jobs. The churches use them as slave chuch wardens until immigration busts them

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Mranony: 5:11pm On Aug 05, 2013
manmustwac: You are 100% right. I even think of that at times myself. Imagine thousands of Nigerians each week praying to get visa to go to atheist European countries. When they get there they go against God by overstaying after their visa has expired, do marriage of convenience so they can avoid going back to their very religious God fearing gountry & stay remain in their atheist country, they work here. Illegally, they thank God after getting their stay or british passport dubiously & frosbel anony & co get the bloody cheek to threaten us non believers with Hellfire while enjoying all the benefits of life in an atheist country
FACT-CHECK TIME.
1. Nigeria is a secular country

The Government of the Federation or of a State shall not adopt any religion as State Religion.

(Article 10 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria)

2. Please name some of these atheist countries that Nigerians are allegedly flocking to. Mind you, an atheist state is different from a secular state.

#Know Your Facts, Reject Dishonest Atheist Propaganda.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Mranony: 5:21pm On Aug 05, 2013
Logicboy03: Isnt this a form of hypocrisy?

Religious Nigerians here bash atheists and secularism but they would praise God and give testimonies when they get visas to secular countries where atheism is on the rise. You cant fly to london on holiday from Lagos during christmas or summer without a full plane of Nigerians.

Why dont religious Nigerians run to ultra-religious countries? If religion is good, why dont they go to very religious countries?

The average Nigerian does not speak Japanese/Chinese but you will see them in those countries. Why not go to Mexico or Cuba which are nearer and have an easier language to learn?

It seems to me that these religious people value material things they can get from these secular countries (eg better healthcare, strong currencies, higher salaries, better transport systems) yet their holy books tell them to be spiritual and to avoid being materialistic/vain.
Fact Check,

2. The religious disposition of a person often has little to do with his/her travel plans.
3. Nigerians who travel for religious reasons tend to go to religious countries e.g. traveling Saudi Arabia for the Hajj
4. Nigerians who travel for economic reasons tend to travel to economically thriving countries e.g. traveling to England for jobs.
5. Religion and the economy are two separate subjects and are not necessarily linked.

Conclusion, You have made a fallacious argument by comparing false parallels.

#Say no to dishonest atheist propaganda
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:28pm On Aug 05, 2013
Mr anony:
FACT-CHECK TIME.

The Government of the Federation or of a State shall not adopt any religion as State Religion.

(Article 10 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria)

It so obvious that what is written in the black book called constitution is the fictional work of our lawmakers.

NIGGA-AREA contain two nations: islamic northern Nigeria and christian southern Nigeria
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by mazaje(m): 6:30pm On Aug 05, 2013
Nigerians are overtly religious. . .

Nigerians claim the people living in the west are godless yet the keep running to their lands. . .They claim the west is cursed because the people have legalized gay married, have relegated religion to the back ground are anti god etc, but they keep running to such lands. . .

I was listening to a girl narrate about her experience in india on saturday, she just came back from india for hip replacement surgery. . .She was talking about how some of the indian nurses put the images of their hindu gods their offices, she said she casted and binded all the spirits of the hindu gods with the blood of Jesus bla bla bla. . .I just laughed. . .If the blood of Jesus really worked she wouldn't have gone to in india in the first place, she would have done what the bible recommended for those that are sick. . .

Hindu doctors are healing Nigerians in very large numbers that the christian or muslims doctors living in Nigeria arent, yet we have the audacity to insult indians and call their gods lesser gods when they are the ones saving our lives because we have failed ourselves and our own gods have failed to heal and protect us from treatable diseases. . .Nigerians are just crazy. . .

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 05, 2013
Mr anony:
Fact Check,

2. The religious disposition of a person often has little to do with his/her travel plans.
3. Nigerians who travel for religious reasons tend to go to religious countries e.g. traveling Saudi Arabia for the Hajj
4. Nigerians who travel for economic reasons tend to travel to economically thriving countries e.g. traveling to England for jobs.
5. Religion and the economy are two separate subjects and are not necessarily linked.

#Say no to dishonest atheist propaganda

1) sharia law and govt assistance to churches make nigeria a neo-theocracy not secular
2) immigration. The question is why religious people mostly settle in the few countries that are secular out of hordes of religious countries
3) pilgrimage is not what we are talking about here. Look at no2. Straw man
4) there are many economically thriving countries that are religious. Why settle for the secular ones?
5) ignorance. Religion poisons everything including business

#say no anonyism

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Aug 05, 2013
mazaje: Nigerians are overtly religious. . .

Nigerians claim the people living in the west are godless yet the keep running to their lands. . .They claim the west is cursed because the people have legalized gay married, have relegated religion to the back ground are anti god etc, but they keep running to such lands. . .

I was listening to a girl narrate about her experience in india on saturday, she just came back from india for hip replacement surgery. . .She was talking about how some of the indian nurses put the images of their hindu gods their offices, she said she casted and binded all the spirits of the hindu gods with the blood of Jesus bla bla bla. . .I just laughed. . .If the blood of Jesus really worked she won't be in india in the first place, she would have done what the bible recommended for those that are sick. . .

Hindu doctors are healing Nigerians in very large numbers that the christian or muslims doctors living in Nigeria arent, yet we have the audacity to insult indian and call their gods lesser god when they are the ones saving our lives because we have failed ourselves and our own gods have failed to heal and protect us from treatable diseases. . .Nigerians are just crazy. . .

Gbam......Anony face the the truth of Majazes post
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Mranony: 7:06pm On Aug 05, 2013
mazaje: Nigerians are overtly religious. . .
Stereotypical generalization but that's by the way.

I was listening to a girl narrate about her experience in india on saturday, she just came back from india for hip replacement surgery. . .She was talking about how some of the indian nurses put the images of their hindu gods their offices, she said she casted and binded all the spirits of the hindu gods with the blood of Jesus bla bla bla. . .I just laughed. . .If the blood of Jesus really worked she won't be in india in the first place, she would have done what the bible recommended for those that are sick. . .

Hindu doctors are healing Nigerians in very large numbers that the christian or muslims doctors living in Nigeria arent, yet we have the audacity to insult indian and call their gods lesser god when they are the ones saving our lives because we have failed ourselves and our own gods have failed to heal and protect us from treatable diseases. . .Nigerians are just crazy. . .
People in villages claim that those who live in big cities are spoilt yet they migrate to big cities. Economic reasons and religious reasons are two entirely different subjects. You have set up a false parallel.

To show you what I mean, I'll turn the question around on you. Why have you chosen to do business in religious Nigeria? why not move to an atheist country like Vietnam for instance? Everyday we hear you criticizing "religious Nigeria" yet you rush down here to do business and I'm sure if business favors you here, you'll comfortably tuck yourself in among the religious.

P/s: I hope you are seeing how irrational the argument is because economic reasons for traveling or not traveling is a different thing entirely from religious reasons for traveling. Comparing apples and oranges in like this in a desperate bid to manufacture a point is simply preposterous.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by noblefada: 7:07pm On Aug 05, 2013
Smh n *sighs* Guess the week is not complete without a xtian bashing thread. It was because of guys like @LB I starting posting on NL, to debunk their lies and show they're not as intelligent as they claim to be,surprisingly I dnt see much of the Muslim guys doing the same this days.
@OP I'm abit disappointed in @LB, a very un-intelligent post, sorry are running out of stuffs to support ur fallacies?
I've told u b4 I'll take u on anytime but 2day I guess I'll pass not worth my time. See u letter. Shalom
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by ooman(m): 7:23pm On Aug 05, 2013
The religious are the most miserable people alive. They enjoy the inventions and developments of atheists, then they condemn them to hell. They love NL, Facebook etc all created by atheists.

You hear them shout about the Python programming language(used to create NL) without considering that its author and creator Rossum, is an atheist. They enjoy all the goodies atheism has to offer, then condemn atheists to hell and call them fools. The religious are really vermin from hell.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by mazaje(m): 7:32pm On Aug 05, 2013
Mr anony:
Stereotypical generalization but that's by the way.

People in villages claim that those who live in big cities are spoilt yet they migrate to big cities. Economic reasons and religious reasons are two entirely different subjects. You have set up a false parallel.

To show you what I mean, I'll turn the question around on you. Why have you chosen to do business in religious Nigeria? why not move to an atheist country like Vietnam for instance? Everyday we hear you criticizing "religious Nigeria" yet you rush down here to do business and I'm sure if business favors you here, you'll comfortably tuck yourself in among the religious.

P/s: I hope you are seeing how irrational the argument is because economic reasons for traveling or not traveling is a different thing entirely from religious reasons for traveling. Comparing apples and oranges in like this in a desperate bid to manufacture a point is simply preposterous.

Nigeria is my country, I have no other country besides I employ many people as such I am contributing my part in nation building. . .I gave you clear cut examples, many Nigerians claim because of their religious beliefs that europeans are cursed because the engage in abominable acts like legalizing gay marriages etc, yet they all rush to the such cursed lands. . .They go to indian for treatment while casting and binding their hindu gods when they come in contact with such idols while still claiming to be worshiping a living god that loves them and watches over them. . .if the god's nigerians worship is living and watches over them as they keep lying to themselves they won't be going to the land of dead hindu gods for medical treatment , no?. . .They will call onto their god and he will heal them as he promised to. . .

Nigerians are not travelling only for economic reasons. . .Many travel for health reasons as well. . .The fact is if Nigerians truly worship the god they sell, they will not even need to travel abroad for any economic reason or health reason in the first place. . .They do so because all their gods have failed them. . .So much so that they go to the land of the ungodly to seek for help because all their gods have failed them. . .

Most of the Pentecostal churches claim that their god's primary wish for all his children is that they should be saved and be prosperous. . .

Just pointing out the sheer hypocrisy. . .You insult indians and their god , yet you go to them to heal you because your own god is impotent and can not heal you in any way. . .that is in the case of the lady i talked about. . .

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by MrTroll(m): 7:57pm On Aug 05, 2013
Logicboy03:

Wassap trollington?

Careto explain why you dont see the hypocrisy in religious peeps running to secular countries?
yo! You know i'm always up for some religious bashing but we have to do it within the bounds of reason. That a religious man is travelling out of Nigeria to, say England is not hypocrisy in and of itself. I could ask you boy, why did you leave secular England to come back to 'neo-theocratic' Nigeria? Are you not a hypocrite for coming down here? But really, pls do tell. . . What is the point of the OP? I see no hypocrisy in seeking greener pastures or health treatment outside your country. I dont think the bible or koran stipulates that an individual must remain in his country of origin forever. So whats your point.

P.S @mazaje has a point but it differs from your OP.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by BoyDimples: 9:17pm On Aug 05, 2013
Logicboy why did you come back home to Nigeria....you should move to aethist Yankee or sumthing!!!
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:19pm On Aug 05, 2013
BoyDimples: Logicboy why did you come back home to Nigeria....you should move to aethist Yankee or sumthing!!!

He is a Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by BoyDimples: 9:27pm On Aug 05, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

He is a Nigerian

I know he is family!!
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Aug 05, 2013
Mr Troll: yo! You know i'm always up for some religious bashing but we have to do it within the bounds of reason. That a religious man is travelling out of Nigeria to, say England is not hypocrisy in and of itself. I could ask you boy, why did you leave secular England to come back to 'neo-theocratic' Nigeria? Are you not a hypocrite for coming down here? But really, pls do tell. . . What is the point of the OP? I see no hypocrisy in seeking greener pastures or health treatment outside your country. I dont think the bible or koran stipulates that an individual must remain in his country of origin forever. So whats your point.

P.S @mazaje has a point but it differs from your OP.

Erm, I am Nigerian? Cant be a hypocrite going to my roots.

There is hypocrisy in seeking greener pastures in secular/atheistic countries for 2 reasons.

-accepting that your religion doesnt promote prosperity
-following material things when the abrahamic religions preach against material gains.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 05, 2013
noblefada: Smh n *sighs* Guess the week is not complete without a xtian bashing thread. It was because of guys like @LB I starting posting on NL, to debunk their lies and show they're not as intelligent as they claim to be,surprisingly I dnt see much of the Muslim guys doing the same this days.
@OP I'm abit disappointed in @LB, a very un-intelligent post, sorry are running out of stuffs to support ur fallacies?
I've told u b4 I'll take u on anytime but 2day I guess I'll pass not worth my time. See u letter. Shalom

Shut up angry
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by MrTroll(m): 10:17pm On Aug 05, 2013
Logicboy03:

There is hypocrisy in seeking greener pastures in secular/atheistic countries for 2 reasons.

-following material things when the abrahamic religions preach against material gains.

so were you a hypocrite when you left nigeria initially?

There's an underlying theme you're trying to push here, that atheism is responsible for the wealth or better living standards of such countries. That is as far from the truth as anything i've ever heard and that is the main reason why your OP is full of sh.it tongue
stop this nonsense false parallels angry
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Aug 05, 2013
Logicboy03:

1) sharia law and govt assistance to churches make nigeria a neo-theocracy not secular
2) immigration. The question is why religious people mostly settle in the few countries that are secular out of hordes of religious countries
3) pilgrimage is not what we are talking about here. Look at no2. Straw man
4) there are many economically thriving countries that are religious. Why settle for the secular ones?
5) ignorance. Religion poisons everything including business

#say no anonyism

I know many christian (including pastors)who got married and divorced to bring their spouse into the UK. They knowingly went against the bible for Gay tolerance society's passport. I guess they will all burn in hell after all.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Aug 05, 2013
Mr Troll: so were you a hypocrite when you left nigeria initially?

There's an underlying theme you're trying to push here, that atheism is responsible for the wealth or better living standards of such countries. That is as far from the truth as anything i've ever heard and that is the main reason why your OP is full of sh.it tongue
stop this nonsense false parallels angry

You are starting to sound like muskeeto.

Where did i say that atheism is responsible for wealth? Why the strawman?
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by noblefada: 11:31pm On Aug 05, 2013
Logicboy03:

Quite interesting coming from a person of logic. So all of a sudden atheists are now saver and architects of world's fortunes, they're the only world heroes and source of life best things? Now only atheists have best medical and advances in the world? Now all xtians are running to atheists for answers because they're the best in world and the only one bringing in all the inventions, now religious people are running to countries that everyone there is an atheist?
@LB because of this ur rants, expect a major news soon that will sake the core of atheism.
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by MrTroll(m): 11:36pm On Aug 05, 2013
Logicboy03:

You are starting to sound like muskeeto.

Where did i say that atheism is responsible for wealth? Why the strawman?

I said there's an UNDERLYING THEME YOU ARE TRYING TO PUSH not me accusing you of SAYING that atheism brings wealth. You stop strawmanning my statements!

Now, here goes. . . You asked why the religious folks here go to secular countries for greener pastures. First, this is an over generalization, but never mind. Then in your subsequent posts you then write 'secular/atheist' countries as if they are the same thing. This is a sly way to sneak in the notion that secularism is responsible for societies betterment and then by tying it with atheism (secular/atheist countries), you want to subconsciously suggest that atheism is responsible too. Such cunning!!! cheesy
thirdly, you mention Japan. Even though japan has a higher population of atheists, it doesn't make japan an atheist country. I hope you know that? And pls tell, why are they going to japan instead of cuba? Religious reasons

Now boy, pls point it out to me. . . What is the point of your OP?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by MrTroll(m): 11:42pm On Aug 05, 2013
noblefada:
Quite interesting coming from a person of logic. So all of a sudden atheists are now saver and architects of world's fortunes, they're the only world heroes and source of life best things? Now only atheists have best medical and advances in the world? Now all xtians are running to atheists for answers because they're the best in world and the only one bringing in all the inventions, now religious people are running to countries that everyone there is an atheist?
good points!

@LB because of this ur rants, expect a major news soon that will sake the core of atheism.
eh. . . What is this?undecided T.B Joshua is that you?
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Nobody: 4:49am On Aug 06, 2013
Mr Troll: I said there's an UNDERLYING THEME YOU ARE TRYING TO PUSH not me accusing you of SAYING that atheism brings wealth. You stop strawmanning my statements!

Now, here goes. . . You asked why the religious folks here go to secular countries for greener pastures. First, this is an over generalization, but never mind. Then in your subsequent posts you then write 'secular/atheist' countries as if they are the same thing. This is a sly way to sneak in the notion that secularism is responsible for societies betterment and then by tying it with atheism (secular/atheist countries), you want to subconsciously suggest that atheism is responsible too. Such cunning!!! cheesy
thirdly, you mention Japan. Even though japan has a higher population of atheists, it doesn't make japan an atheist country. I hope you know that? And pls tell, why are they going to japan instead of cuba? Religious reasons

Now boy, pls point it out to me. . . What is the point of your OP?

You are a silly tool. A theme is a very overt topic in a piece of writing. You are very silly to claim that I implied that secularism or atheism are responsible for economic prosperity.

The one that even irritates me is that you claim that I slyly did it. If it were covert, it wouldnt be a theme. Keep contradicting yourself.

The only thing that could be indirectly gotten from my thread is that secular countries are generally economically better and more prosperous which is a fact. To then jump from there to claim that i implied that atheism or secularism is the reason for their prosperity is silly.

To explain the point better
-xtian countries in general are better than those which practise hinduism

Does that then mean that the statement is saying that christianity ids the reason that they are better? Couldnt it be a game of numbers with more people living in xtian countries or more xtian countries sitting on certain natural resources?

Your point about Japan is quite meaningless. There is no such thing as an atheist country. However, should we label a country as atheistic or atheist due to number ir percentage of atheists, Japan is one of the top contenders in the wotld for that.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Nobody: 4:51am On Aug 06, 2013
noblefada:

Mr Troll: good points!

eh. . . What is this?undecided T.B Joshua is that you?

Fools missing the point of the op. Keep strawmanning
Re: Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? by Nobody: 8:25am On Aug 06, 2013
[size=15pt]Why do Nigerian Atheists flee from going to 'Atheist China'?[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Evil Family Pattern / Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens- Backsliding : Not An Option / Hindrance To Dominion Mandate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.