Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,049 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:32 AM

6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 (37281 Views)

Why Daddy Freeze's Mockery Of The MFM Pastor Who Died In Church Is Wrong / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? / My Church Is Aware I’m Member Of Ogboni Confraternity —ogunfuwa, Remo Chief. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by iliyande(m): 11:06am On Sep 13, 2015
What does a secular church look like?

Would it be easy to find one?

If we find something in the church that is contrary to Scripture but is taught in the secular world, then that church has become--in part--secularized. The more we find from the world in the church, the more that church is secularized.

Following is a list of things that, in my opinion, are examples of secularization in the church. Of course, this list is not exhaustive nor is it authoritative. It is my opinion. Nevertheless, it is offered as food for thought.

1. Teaching that the Bible is not inspired and inerrant.

The Bible is the Word of God (2 Tim. 3:16) and is the measure of truth and righteousness. To claim that it is not inspired is to reduce it to the level of the Quran, or the Bhagavad-Gita, or the Book of Mormon which are mere man-made writings posing as inspired words from God.

When the authority of God's Word is lost, then man-made doctrines creep in. The authority and inspiration of Scripture is the anchor that keeps the church from drifting into error.

2. Using books instead of the Bible in Bible study.

It is okay to use books that assist in Bible study, but the Bible should be the central source of spiritual truth, not books about the Bible. If Bible studies are using guidebooks more than the Bible itself, then the Bible has been moved to a secondary position. If Christians are having trouble understanding God's Word, then the pastor (or Bible study leader) needs to teach them how to find its truths, so they can check all things in Scripture by themselves (Acts 17:11).

3. Teaching that there is more than one way to God besides Jesus.

In this world of relativism, it is not popular to claim that Jesus is the only way to be saved. But this is what the Bible says. John 14:6, "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me." Also, Acts 4:12, "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved." There is no other way to be saved. The Muslims, the Buddhists, the Taoists, etc., cannot be saved without Jesus.

4. Being embarrassed to say that Jesus is the only way to salvation.

Like the issue above, Jesus is the only way (John 14:6). Christians should never be ashamed (Rom. 1:16) to speak the truth of God's saving work in Christ. For some, to be timid and embarrassed means that one's eyes are off of God and on people.

5. Teaching that there is no absolute right and wrong.

As mentioned above, moral relativism is the norm of society. We often hear, "It is true if it is true for you." The Bible tells us that there are moral absolutes independent of what we think is right. Exodus 20:1-17 is a list of the ten commandments which are moral absolutes. The Bible teaches us there is absolute right and wrong. Without moral absolutes, no one can say anything is right or wrong.

6. Being careful to not offend anyone at the expense of Biblical truth.

Whether or not someone likes what the Bible says does not change the truth of the Bible. We should not be offensive just to be offensive, but we should not be afraid to speak the truth of God when the need arises. The gospel that offends no one is not the gospel of the Bible.

Is your church becoming secular? Are you? If either, start praying, repent of anything you believe or do that is contrary to Scripture. Start praying for your church and study God's Word. Let it be your guide.

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by INTROVERT(f): 11:07am On Sep 13, 2015
reading

3 Likes

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by Swaggzkid: 11:07am On Sep 13, 2015
Ok no wahala,

So where do we place RCCG, DLBC, WC, Synagogue Etc

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by kikilove(f): 11:08am On Sep 13, 2015
If d church doesn't satisfy and grow ur spiritual life,its better to leave and attend a better church.#NaHeavenSurePassOh cheesy grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by menesheh(m): 11:36am On Sep 13, 2015
A secular church?

When a gathering become secular, it can no longer answer church.

The church should even get secular so that irrational believes will be driven out of our neighborhood.
People are getting tired of these divine-holy-crap, bronze-age stories, religion in general professes.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by jaybanfa(m): 11:42am On Sep 13, 2015
What OP mentioned isnt secularism but outright apostheism. I doubt if they are in the same category, eventhough secularism is equally dangerous to the church. My 25kobo!

7 Likes

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by Bonapart(m): 3:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
No church is guilty of all those signs, except it's not a church

1 Like

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by lekjons(m): 3:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
7. Pastors saying God(not even backing it up with a Bible verse)told me to tell u, that u must be present in the vigilundecided
8. Announcements on media saying there will be healing, miracle, breakthrough in a particular revival/vigil, and sounding so sure.. as if they'll bring Merlin

i hate those shïts!

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by ORACLE1975(m): 3:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
angry
Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by powerfulsettingz: 3:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
7. Singing Godwin with korede Bello

16 Likes

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by ibkgab001: 3:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
Robobina
Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by ladyF(f): 3:02pm On Sep 13, 2015
Lol but no church I've seen is guilty of this

It's [size=20pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by Bonapart(m): 3:03pm On Sep 13, 2015
powerfulsettingz:
7. Singing Godwin with korede Bello
that's the most annoying... and they will think the saints and Angels are rejoicing with them while they're shouting God win

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by helphelp: 3:04pm On Sep 13, 2015
Fairly used BlackBerry Z10 for sale

Only interested buyers please

https://www.nairaland.com/2596577/fairly-used-blackberry-z10-sale
Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by superior1: 3:04pm On Sep 13, 2015
When the church is politically correct, it is secular

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by OkuDiOver1(f): 3:05pm On Sep 13, 2015
Myte

1 Like

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by holluwai(m): 3:05pm On Sep 13, 2015
This post makes no sense. That sounds like a church of man and not God

1 Like

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by powerfulsettingz: 3:11pm On Sep 13, 2015
Bonapart:
that's the most annoying... and they will think the saints and Angels are rejoicing with them while they're shouting God win
My bro expecially the dance step so odd for a church type

2 Likes

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by olumaxi(m): 3:12pm On Sep 13, 2015
Singing GODWIN in church in d name of thanksgiving.....shouting HALLELUYA SNEH when they were told to praise GOd

1 Like

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by Nobody: 3:15pm On Sep 13, 2015
Ok

1 Like

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by toyese01(m): 3:16pm On Sep 13, 2015
Even †̥ђε secular churches we have doesn't have those trait you listed, secular churches are subtle In there dealings, you hardly diferentiate dem from †̥ђε real church. †̥ђε pasotor of †̥ђε churches involved in scandals also uses bible, No one will stand on †̥ђε pupit and tell his member that 'ti jesu bawo'

3 Likes

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by domopps(m): 3:17pm On Sep 13, 2015
Swaggzkid:
Ok

You are back rite from your annual vacation?

Let your Subordinate LADY F knows about this and the Up and coming MISSNORA

Cheeeeers
Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by speedyGonzales: 3:17pm On Sep 13, 2015
Nigerians, please read other books other than the bible... reading only the bible is messing up you minds... and learn about other parts of the earth and the universe. you where taught that other planets exist outside this one that we live on, this knowledge does not exist in the Bible, do you believe it or not... if other planets exist then are they humans or animal on them, if so what is God's plan for them, do they get to go to heaven or hell... do they believe in God or/and Jesus. Did Jesus have to go that planet and die for their sins as well...

Come on, guys... think with your heads, don't believe me when I tell you that you are dumb... test it and prove for yourself, if you are indeed dumb...

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by Dindondin(m): 3:18pm On Sep 13, 2015
there are secular pastors also
Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by sochima1989(m): 3:19pm On Sep 13, 2015
7. Churches cracking comedy grin
8. Churches inviting circular musicians
9. Churches that fakes miracles to get members sow seeds.
Plsss dont quote me

5 Likes

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by madgoat(m): 3:19pm On Sep 13, 2015
Cherubim and Seraphim Church honouring Don Jazzy.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by olowolekan(m): 3:20pm On Sep 13, 2015
May God help us.jesus is the only way to heaven.
Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by Bonapart(m): 3:20pm On Sep 13, 2015
powerfulsettingz:

My bro expecially the dance step so odd for a church type
that song can never escape my lips, not even in conversation
Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by Pavore9: 3:22pm On Sep 13, 2015
Every soul and its journey.
Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by philipstanley(m): 3:22pm On Sep 13, 2015
There is no such church
Re: 6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 by sochima1989(m): 3:22pm On Sep 13, 2015
speedyGonzales:
Nigerians, please read other books other than the bible... reading only the bible is messing up you minds... and learn about other parts of the earth and the universe. you where taught that other planets exist outside this one that we live on, this knowledge does not exist in the Bible, do you believe it or not... if other planets exist then are they humans or animal on them, if so what is God's plan for them, do they get to go to heaven or hell... do they believe in God or/and Jesus. Did Jesus have to go that planet and die for their sins as well...

Come on, guys... think with your heads, don't believe me when I tell you that you are dumb... test it and prove for yourself, if you are indeed dumb...
yeah nothing wrong in reading But don't read that which will make u doubt God...
Another..You really sound dumb oh with your last sentence

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sixth & Seventh Books Of Moses Initiates Meet Here / Nigerian Women Testify Against Catholic Priest Who Wanted To Rape Them / Lady Who Started 2017 As A Promiscuous Girl Finds Love In Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.