Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,414 members, 7,861,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:10 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1628) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6029943 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1625) (1626) (1627) (1628) (1629) (1630) (1631) ... (2853) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:25pm On Apr 03, 2018
Nigerian Air Force Regiment

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:26pm On Apr 03, 2018

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:27pm On Apr 03, 2018
Where's my favorite white bastard, "jillingy" aka Jln115? cheesy cheesy
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:28pm On Apr 03, 2018
Locally made Nigerian navy vessel, the 40 meters NNS Karaduwa at sea.

Beautiful!

12 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:16am On Apr 04, 2018
Henry240:
Where's my favorite white bastard, "jillingy" aka Jln115? cheesy cheesy
here wink
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 4:19am On Apr 04, 2018
61mech:
Problem with using the dustcover as a mount is that you lose your zero everytime you clean the weapon. Not so much of a problem if your just using nightvision, but if you're mounting an expensive acog you're not really getting all the accuracy out of the system. That's why the IMI Ace has a different locking system for the cover to better align it.
Just nitpicking here, but i'd buy some R-1 covers with rails from DS-Arms and issue them as DMR'r ,use red dot's on the R/5/6's
The R-5/6 is really a <300m weapon.

Exactly what I was wondering.

I just assumed that he knew more about R4's than I did.

Anyhow, the dust-cover is the biggest draw-back for the AK and other AK-hybrids (Galil, R4, RK 62 etc).
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 4:35am On Apr 04, 2018
61mech:
I've seen ZU-23 fire many times. You'll be very lucky to hit anything at 2km with it.Especially if you put it on a vehicle. Your 10 round burst groups in the area of a football pitch at that range. Really more of an area/anti personnel weapon when used ground to ground.That's why modern auto cannons shoot in single fire mode.

The basic idea of this type of AA system is not really to hit a fast jet. You put massive amount of tracer in the air with the hope that the pilot loses his nerve and pulls out of his bombing run early for eg.

This.

AA guns of that vintage arent designed to be accurate, they are designed to fire in a "cone". That way all the operator has to focus on is getting the correct lead on his target, while all the pilot will see is tracer flying all over the place (and hopefully lose his cool). Its about area-denial more than anything.

On a side note, there have been a number of military weapons throughout history that have had a problem with being too accurate - in ww2 the Bren gun was too accurate for its role, the infamous German 88 mm was too accurate for AA and in WW1 the french 75mm feild gun was too accurate for strategic bombardment.

- Bren was too accurate because it didnt fire in a "cone" thus its suppression and area-denial was limited. Interestingly the Bren was so accurate that many were used as DMR's.
- the German 88 was too accurate for WW2 stragetic AA defence, and as such required constant fusing are ranging adjustments for area denial. Something that became problematic in the end of the war when gunners didnt get much training
- same deal with the French 75mm.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 04, 2018
Henry240:
Locally made Nigerian navy vessel, the 40 meters NNS Karaduwa at sea.

Beautiful!

Nice looking beast wink
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 10:05am On Apr 04, 2018
Frumentum:

Here's the story of how the DMG-5 came about:
Engineer interns at Denel are given a final project at the end of their internship to determine whether they're given an employment contract or not. The 3 guys were challenged to produce the lightest GPMG in the world without compromising on stability, reliability and accuracy, and they could use any existing GPMG as a base, or design a completely new one. They chose the SS-77 as a base and produced the DMG-5, which is 20% lighter and can take all modern sighting systems.
I'm told that the pre-production model is now at 8.2kg.

PICS: The Vektor SS-77 version imported into the US by Remington. It's chambered in .30-06 (7.62x63mm)! shocked shocked shocked

I can see that's a quality piece! Question:why 30-06? What does it have over the 7.62 long? Why not go for the .338 magnum which IIRC the USMC are seriously considering?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:16am On Apr 04, 2018
kikuyu1:

I can see that's a quality piece! Question:why 30-06? What does it have over the 7.62 long? Why not go for the .338 magnum which IIRC the USMC are seriously considering?

As 61mech pointed out, Remington's claim about the .30-06 doesn't make sense. I can find no mention from about it from Denel itself anywhere.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 12:47pm On Apr 04, 2018
Frumentum:

Here's the story of how the DMG-5 came about:
Engineer interns at Denel are given a final project at the end of their internship to determine whether they're given an employment contract or not. The 3 guys were challenged to produce the lightest GPMG in the world without compromising on stability, reliability and accuracy, and they could use any existing GPMG as a base, or design a completely new one. They chose the SS-77 as a base and produced the DMG-5, which is 20% lighter and can take all modern sighting systems.
I'm told that the pre-production model is now at 8.2kg.

PICS: The Vektor SS-77 version imported into the US by Remington. It's chambered in .30-06 (7.62x63mm)! shocked shocked shocked

8 kgs is really a good improvement. One of the first GPMgs the Bren was 10 kgs,like the M 60 and M 240, rechambered for the 7.62 they were used all over and IIRC the KDF used them til the early 90s.
Improvements in composite tech will,imo bring GPMG weight to below 8 kgs this decade.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by CaptainStephen(m): 2:03pm On Apr 04, 2018
kikuyu1:

8 kgs is really a good improvement. One of the first GPMgs the Bren was 10 kgs,like the M 60 and M 240, rechambered for the 7.62 they were used all over and IIRC the KDF used them til the early 90s.
Improvements in composite tech will,imo bring GPMG weight to below 8 kgs this decade.
Its very remarkable, the unluckly fellow dont have to grumble when issued a gpmg for a route march.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:12pm On Apr 04, 2018
I read somewhere that some British troops kept worn out spare barrels with them, so that they could swap them out when they needed a bigger beaten zone or spread.

patches689:

This.

AA guns of that vintage arent designed to be accurate, they are designed to fire in a "cone". That way all the operator has to focus on is getting the correct lead on his target, while all the pilot will see is tracer flying all over the place (and hopefully lose his cool). Its about area-denial more than anything.

On a side note, there have been a number of military weapons throughout history that have had a problem with being too accurate - in ww2 the Bren gun was too accurate for its role, the infamous German 88 mm was too accurate for AA and in WW1 the french 75mm feild gun was too accurate for strategic bombardment.

- Bren was too accurate because it didnt fire in a "cone" thus its suppression and area-denial was limited. Interestingly the Bren was so accurate that many were used as DMR's.
- the German 88 was too accurate for WW2 stragetic AA defence, and as such required constant fusing are ranging adjustments for area denial. Something that became problematic in the end of the war when gunners didnt get much training
- same deal with the French 75mm.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:17pm On Apr 04, 2018
Our GPMG gunners ended their service with huge biceps. One of the most important parts on a MG is a nice wide leather sling.

CaptainStephen:
Its very remarkable, the unluckly fellow dont have to grumble when issued a gpmg for a route march.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:50pm On Apr 04, 2018
AW 139 , SAR , algerian army

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by CaptainStephen(m): 4:42pm On Apr 04, 2018
61mech:
Our GPMG gunners ended their service with huge biceps. One of the most important parts on a MG is a nice wide leather sling.

Side effects of a gunner cheesy

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:09pm On Apr 04, 2018
jln115:
here wink
Boet, i thought you've disappeared. Nice to see you're still hunting game in this thread.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:11pm On Apr 04, 2018
abiodunalasa:

Nice looking beast wink
It's a cute boat.

Right on time for us to place a bid in RSA's everlasting Project Biro RFQ.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 6:38pm On Apr 04, 2018
Henry240:

It's a cute boat.

Right on time for us to place a bid in RSA's everlasting Project Biro RFQ.

Too small for Biro mate.

Biro IPV's are 62m
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:47pm On Apr 04, 2018
Henry240:

Boet, i thought you've disappeared. Nice to see you're still hunting game in this thread.
Still following daily just don't get the time to post as much these days!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SternProphet: 10:27pm On Apr 04, 2018
Any predictions on what Nigeria will buy with $1bn procurement budget?.
I am thinking; MIG 29SMT, MRAPS, MI35M, H125 choppers and Yak 130. Many thousand Beryl rifles.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:38pm On Apr 04, 2018
SternProphet:
Any predictions on what Nigeria will buy with $1bn procurement budget?.
I am thinking; MIG 29SMT, MRAPS, MI35M, H125 choppers and Yak 130. Many thousand Beryl rifles.
First, we would pay up for the MI-35m's purchased. JF-17 is a possibility. Tucanos can actually wait for now.

In fact 1 billion is not a lot of money at all. I don't know what it can actually get for the military.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 11:41pm On Apr 04, 2018
Henry240:

First, we would pay up for the MI-35m's purchased. JF-17 is a possibility. Tucanos can actually wait for now.

In fact 1 billion is not a lot of money at all. I don't know what it can actually get for the military.
Super Tucano that we have paid for since February 2018.
We have also, most probably, made part payment for the JF-17 as quoted in our previous budget.
On the $1bn, I say we get some Armoured Tanks, MRAPs, IFVs, MBRL, Attack Helicopters.

And most importantly, we should upgrade to electronic warfare, it is only a matter of time before someone gift drones capable of dropping mortar bombs on our troops to ISWAP. I admired the way Russians responded to the swarm of drones attack on its base in Syria.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 11:43pm On Apr 04, 2018
Henry240:

I hope the following are purchased
APCs, IFVs, MRAPS, MINE / IED detection equipment, Communication equipment
If the decision makers are reading this MEDIUM TO HEAVY LIFT HELIOS
and like Henry said pay for the MI35s,/ JF17s. The A29s have already been paid for.
The Nigerian Police Counter Terrorism Units needs to be strengthened me thinks with SWAT training to deal with dangerous kidnappings .
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Hrmnn: 3:04am On Apr 05, 2018
Morocco; vehicle is a Panhard ERC 90 Sagaie.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SternProphet: 9:28am On Apr 05, 2018
Henry240:

Remaining MI 35Ms are just about $300m, Tucanoes already fully paid, JF 17 Block II or B is a little tricky, nobody knows why there is no delivery yet. I suspect we have paid in full for 3 nos.

My original problem was that as an intervention fund the money might just be wasted. Frittered on used MRAPs, used armoured cars, used choppers and rifles and everything disappears.

This was what happened to GEJ era Security Intervention Funds.

Let the FG concentrate on paying for things already on contracts or MOU including MI 35Ms, MIG-29s and Yak-130. Even Army Aviation AS 350 choppers.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jteku(m): 7:51pm On Apr 05, 2018
President Buhari meets with service chiefs 04/04/2018

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhLqeHmh0N9/
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:09pm On Apr 05, 2018
SternProphet:

Remaining MI 35Ms are just about $300m, Tucanoes already fully paid, JF 17 Block II or B is a little tricky, nobody knows why there is no delivery yet. I suspect we have paid in full for 3 nos.

My original problem was that as an intervention fund the money might just be wasted. Frittered on used MRAPs, used armoured cars, used choppers and rifles and everything disappears.

This was what happened to GEJ era Security Intervention Funds.

Let the FG concentrate on paying for things already on contracts or MOU including MI 35Ms, MIG-29s and Yak-130. Even Army Aviation AS 350 choppers.
You sure about additional MRAPs? undecided

I don't think we would get additional MRAPs with this fund or should get with this fund. Remember we only recently got 177 APCs which also include MRAPs. We are also getting 9 MRAPs from Proforce Defence. So 186 APCs in total purchased in the last 6 months.

If I were the army, i'll concentrate on IFVs, Tanks and Artillery systems.

I think we would pay for MI-35M's with this fund, but not Tucanos. The Air Force might also be looking at medium lift aeroplanes. The issues were are having with the JF-17 is simply becoming hard to understand. With purchase lingering i would suggest we wait for the Block 3 instead of waiting to get Block II's. Helicopters, UCAVs and Tucanos should do for now while we the F-7s continue to serve in the interim. We could also look at the MIG-29M or MIG-35.

I have no problem with used Choppers, as long as we are going to get medium lifts, MI-17's or Super Pumas.

For Navy, the Navy would get an LPD, more patrol ships and possibly 2 missile ship. Remember the navy also has it's own intervention fund from the Senate.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 9:32pm On Apr 05, 2018
Henry240:

You sure about additional MRAPs? undecided

I don't think we would get additional MRAPs with this fund or should get with this fund. Remember we only recently got 177 APCs which also include MRAPs. We are also getting 9 MRAPs from Proforce Defence. So 186 APCs in total purchased in the last 6 months.

If I were the army, i'll concentrate on IFVs, Tanks and Artillery systems.

I think we would pay for MI-35M's with this fund, but not Tucanos. The Air Force might also be looking at medium lift aeroplanes. The issues were are having with the JF-17 is simply becoming hard to understand. With purchase lingering i would suggest we wait for the Block 3 instead of waiting to get Block II's. Helicopters, UCAVs and Tucanos should do for now while we the F-7s continue to serve in the interim. We could also look at the MIG-29M or MIG-35.

I have no problem with used Choppers, as long as we are going to get medium lifts, MI-17's or Super Pumas.

For Navy, the Navy would get an LPD, more patrol ships and possibly 2 missile ship. Remember the navy also has it's own intervention fund from the Senate.
Agreed with everything you said except" used Choppers, as long as we are going to get medium lifts, MI-17's or Super Pumas".
MY Brother make we no go down that road .person don pafuka, equipment sef no gree werk anytime same nah tokunboh make we buy am brand new especially helicopter or make we no buy am at all.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 7:06am On Apr 06, 2018

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SternProphet: 7:25am On Apr 06, 2018
lionel4power:
The Senegalese Air Force has just acquired four Aero Vodochody L-39NG Albatross fighter trainer jets.

[img]https://2.bp..com/-E_zHwXNkzpM/WscNPmD0ZoI/AAAAAAAABz4/30ZtNX4Zsn8pWr4-rzxDqhyskfOMZeEWACLcBGAs/s1600/aero-l39-albatros.jpg[/img]

https://www.africanmilitaryblog.com/2018/04/senegalese-air-force-buys-four-l-39.html?m=1

Very very good ground attack aircraft. The manufacturing company Aero Vodochy don't have money. Nigeria should partner with them to upgrade our L-39 ZA to full NG standard and buy a few L-39NG. I actually rate this aircraft better than Yak-130 and Hongdu L-15 and the price is much better
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 7:33am On Apr 06, 2018
SternProphet:

Very very good ground attack aircraft. The manufacturing company Aero Vodochy don't have money. Nigeria should partner with them to upgrade our L-39 ZA to full NG standard and buy a few L-39NG. I actually rate this aircraft better than Yak-130 and Hongdu L-15 and the price is much better
I believe Nigeria upgraded their L-39s in-house.

the L-39 is in the class of the Donnier Alpha jet, BAE Hawk etc.

the New L-159 is in the ranks of Yak-130 and Hongdu L-15.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (1625) (1626) (1627) (1628) (1629) (1630) (1631) ... (2853) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.