Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,430 members, 7,850,516 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:59 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (169) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6015291 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (2850) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:19pm On May 20, 2015
Mission planning for a team from Denel arriving on the week-end. Grumblings about the Italian drones and rumours that Denel is sniffing around for the contract.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:23am On May 21, 2015
Nigerian military jungle training

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 6:20am On May 21, 2015
gottfried21:
Two gripens landed at the Eros airport today....My one colleague told me that they're on their way to Gabarone(Apparently Botswana is interested in acquiring the gripen fighter)
From Saab?

Heard my mates talking about some air show in Botswana I don't if it has taken place or not.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 6:23am On May 21, 2015
frumentius:
Mission planning for a team from Denel arriving on the week-end. Grumblings about the Italian drones and rumours that Denel is sniffing around for the contract.
Hehehe cries about corruption in the procurement process of the Italian drones were heard in some offices in South Africa.

Mechem part of Denel has been in the DRC for some time though.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 6:56am On May 21, 2015
MikeCZAR:
From Saab?

Heard my mates talking about some air show in Botswana I don't if it has taken place or not.

My friend said that they were South African....looking at it now they could've been from SAAB.
I know for sure they were unarmed undecided
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 9:27am On May 21, 2015
gottfried21:

My friend said that they were South African....looking at it now they could've been from SAAB.
I know for sure they were unarmed undecided
I have seen ours unarmed at many air shows.

Mounting the missiles reduces the their life span. Meaning more maintenance will be needed.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:25am On May 21, 2015
denisfidha:

The Somalis probably adopted whatever was used in the country they trained . And the Alpha group is 40 men together with the rest of SF they number 120 And even then, its not always you see them with the headset comms

The recce number 2,000. Take a closer look at recce (sometimes its sun-glass headsets, sometime just portable radios on the chest or at the back) and they carry a puch of tactical door breaching tools which the Alpha unit don't, should we then assume the apha unit is not serious? NO we don't.

i think your confusing recce squad with GSU .recce squad means exact that ,small unit

The late Bernard Tonui who died from Al-Shabaab Garissa University College attack. Tonui's brother Joseph Bett an administration police was also killed by Al-Shabaab in 2012

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:36am On May 21, 2015
denisfidha:
do RECCE squad wear body Armour,i just see them with tactical vest
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:43am On May 21, 2015
Mogadishu seen through a bullet hole.

- Ugandan Tanks

-

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:55am On May 21, 2015
Amisom forces from Kenya

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:01am On May 21, 2015
Amisom

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 1:14pm On May 21, 2015
africaken:
do RECCE squad wear body Armour,i just see them with tactical vest
A "recce" is a SASFB operator.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:54pm On May 21, 2015
MikeCZAR:
Hehehe cries about corruption in the procurement process of the Italian drones were heard in some offices in South Africa.

Mechem part of Denel has been in the DRC for some time though.
The Mechem guys say the visitors aren't any of theirs. Based on the route planning, close protection planning, sites of interest etc, my deduction leads me to Dynamics. We'll see.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:13pm On May 21, 2015
Amisom Special forces

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 21, 2015
Amisom

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 21, 2015
MUNISMA - Mali

UNFPU- Nigerian Police

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 21, 2015
MikeCZAR:
A "recce" is a SASFB operator.
i meant kenya GSU RECCE squad
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:37pm On May 21, 2015
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:00pm On May 21, 2015
kenya airforce SA-330 PUMA

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:37pm On May 21, 2015
why is it we dont have such Special Ops Olympics War Games in africa ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7CqPhrcvok
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:09pm On May 21, 2015
uganda airforce Hind gunship

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 21, 2015
France's special forces kill two top jihadis in Mali
Al Qaeda and Ansar Dine regional leaders have been killed in a Mali raid, the French defense ministry has said. The al Qaeda chief allegedly masterminded abduction and execution of French journalists.
http://www.dw.de/frances-special-forces-kill-two-top-jihadis-in-mali/a-18464290
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 10:06pm On May 21, 2015
which African country would operate an aircraft carrier first? www.nairaland.com/2306245/which-african-country-buy-aircraft
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Centrifude(m): 1:15am On May 22, 2015
MikeCZAR:
SAAF had more important projects to channel funds to.

Like:

1. New indigenous fighter jet(Carver project)
2. Upgrading to Mirages and Cheetahs.
3. New missiles. The Kukri was obsolete!

MIGs and Sukhois were the threat to the air force carrying out its ops in Angola not tank or ground targets. Zimbabwe was also interest in getting the MIG-29.

SAAF was still able to penetrate Angola air defences even with the best Cuban air defence units meant to protect Havana around.

The current Mk 1 has SA made optics!

I'm not talking about the Apartheid Government, I'm talking about the post 1994 Government, they spoke very Highly of the Rooivalk but didn't invest enough money for it to meet the standards they spoke about, though I do acknowledge the fact that there were much more important issues to deal with during that time.

But I still believe that our Government could've done more for the Rooivalk, they set very high standards for it and didn't give it enough resources or explore to meet all of those standard.

Though I have to admit that the current Rooivalk is an amazing Beast, considering the tiny Budget Denel had to work with.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:08am On May 22, 2015
People and Power - Chad: At War With Boko Haram

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAx90cho8c4
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:01pm On May 22, 2015
DRC villagers say army failed to protect them from armed groups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TQhB-9o5xs
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 22, 2015
africaken:
i think your confusing recce squad with GSU .recce squad means exact that ,small unit

The late Bernard Tonui who died from Al-Shabaab Garissa University College attack. Tonui's brother Joseph Bett an administration police was also killed by Al-Shabaab in 2012

I dont know what you mean by am confusing recce squad with GSU .recce, but locally both names are used synonymously, there is only one recce group in Kenya and its official name is the General Service Unit - Recce Company based in Ruiru. The word squad is used because they are usually divided into small Units(squads) of about 7 or 11 each.

The company has three major divisions i.e:
Sky Marshal unit - an undercover unit to counter terrorism on board commercial flights to counter aircraft hijackings in Kenya airways and other local airlines
Crisis Response unit - these are the ones who responded to the Muthangari shooting in the pics i posted earlier, also the ones responded to garissa,westgate
Rendition Operation team - I dont know what they do exactly but from the name, I figure they are the ones used for raid missions, counter-terrorism operations
Something like this -

Other Units which draw there members from the Recce company include G company which guards the presidents and VIPs

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:44pm On May 22, 2015
From jungle (DRC), desert (Darfur), sub-tropical (north Mozambique/Tanzania), to savannah etc, a thematic presentation of SANDF activities.
1. Antarctica:

Pic 1: SAAF crew;

Pic 2: Off-loading supplies;

Pic 3: SA Base, SANAE 4;

Pic 4: SANAE 4 base.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 5:24pm On May 22, 2015
MikeCZAR:
Did you know: Malaysia was in the process of acquiring the helicopter, Madiba even made visit to that country.

But that was soon followed by the late 90s Asian financial crisis.

Don't mention Nigeria!

There was no reason for SA to produce more Rooivalks.

Just like now the priorities of the SAAF is replacing the transport aircraft, new maritime aircraft and more!

The people who had problems with tanks in Angola were the army in 1987 SA tanks were sent for action since world war 2.

Future ops in Angola if the war continued meant SA and UNITA forces would've faced more tanks! In the late 80s FAPLA was able to field 300+ tanks in Southern Angola.

Regarding marketing armscor and the marketing department failed to market aircraft. Even today Denel's marketing department is a mess, by visiting their site you'll see their people lack technical understanding of the systems their marketing.
why should he not mention Nigeria, have we not been buying from SA. did we not get our RHEVA'S and IKRI'S from SA companies. do you know the kind of publicity,advert and combat test that the Gazelles, the MI24, and super puma is getting from Nigeria's war on Terror(what the Rooivalk program so badly needs) and with the look of things these Nigerian Air Assets may be engaged against ISIS in Libya soon( this would have exposed the Rooivalk to the world on its effectiveness or ineffectiveness as a Combat Bird) All these will attract prospective buyers, expose technical flaws, and ideas for upgrades or future variants. what else can a combat bird ask for? or where else will the Rooivalk find that kind of attention?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 8:52pm On May 22, 2015
overhypedsteve:
why should he not mention Nigeria, have we not been buying from SA. did we not get our RHEVA'S and IKRI'S from SA companies. do you know the kind of publicity,advert and combat test that the Gazelles, the MI24, and super puma is getting from Nigeria's war on Terror(what the Rooivalk program so badly needs) and with the look of things these Nigerian Air Assets may be engaged against ISIS in Libya soon( this would have exposed the Rooivalk to the world on its effectiveness or ineffectiveness as a Combat Bird) All these will attract prospective buyers, expose technical flaws, and ideas for upgrades or future variants. what else can a combat bird ask for? or where else will the Rooivalk find that kind of attention?
undecided undecided undecided
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kemdaniels: 12:06am On May 23, 2015
Talking about having publicity in the big city,a place like libya now could be a nice spot for the rooivalk,expecially if an expiditionary force like say nigeria moves in.I blieve that nigeria is always trying to have some trade with african countries no matter the odds
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:25am On May 23, 2015
Ugandan SU-30 Flanker

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (2850) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.