Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,388 members, 7,861,064 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:50 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1937) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6029555 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1934) (1935) (1936) (1937) (1938) (1939) (1940) ... (2853) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 11:29am On Oct 01, 2019
jln115:

MRAP is just a designation used by some manufacturers and not by others.

By definition the Casspir is a MRAP but Denel simply states that its a mine protected APC.
OK.

But let me just ask you a general question. I know you are from South-Africa, can you give an unbiased view of the Nigerian defence industry?

Your own view, and which items do you like in the industry from Nigeria.

It is just a few, no hard feelings. If you don't like any too, it is also fine.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 01, 2019
TayserMahri:

Some armies use them interchangeably. Read about their respective histories.
In modern terms the difference is size..... Destroyers in general are bigger, simple as that.

But with the advancement of technology ships can become smaller and smaller but still carry the same amount of armament. Hence modern day Frigates are just as well armed. And thus why destroyers imo are becoming obsolete.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 01, 2019
kabe1:

What about APCs that are armed with 20mm cannons, they also stick to the battlefield.

APCs with big guns like a heavy machine guns also stick to the battlefield.

I don't quite understand why you think an APC cannot provide support for infantry soldiers.

An APC with a cannon in excess of 20 mm is an IFV. That is according to the CFE standards. I mean APCs can barely support troops directly when faced with heavier artillery. They are not tanks. They cannot withstand direct fire.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:34am On Oct 01, 2019
jln115:
you said APCs are next thing to the tanks bro!!

Was I wrong? An APC is also an IFV.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 01, 2019
kabe1:

I agree with this in a way, although they are no longer designated as just MRAPs. They have a new name, like that Nigerian Ezugwu vehicle is not really an MRAP.

The vehicle Australia recently bought also can protect against mines, but it is not an MRAP.

Ezugwu is a MRAP. No two ways about it.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 01, 2019
kabe1:

OK.

But let me just ask you a general question. I know you are from South-Africa, can you give an unbiased view of the Nigerian defence industry?

Your own view, and which items do you like in the industry from Nigeria.

It is just a few, no hard feelings. If you don't like any too, it is also fine.
will give a more detailed answer tonight but for now will leave it here:

The Nigerian defence industry has made tremendous progress in only a couple of years. And honestly I feel with enough backing from the government can become a major industry and strong competition for South Africa's defence industry.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 01, 2019
jln115:

In modern terms the difference is size..... Destroyers in general are bigger, simple as that.

But with the advancement of technology ships can become smaller and smaller but still carry the same amount of armament. Hence modern day Frigates are just as well armed. And thus why destroyers imo are becoming obsolete.

Same argument we are having between APCs and MRAPs.
TayserMahri:

Was I wrong? An APC is also an IFV.
no its not though an APC is an APC and an IFV is an IFV.

You said it yourself IFVs provide direct fire support and apc dont
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 01, 2019
Clear distinction existed between frigates and destroyers before and during WW2 .

With time the distinction eroded because classification of naval ship types was being done by respective countries.

Some countries classify 3000 ton ships as frigates while some countries classifies them as Corvettes

Some countries classify 6000 ton ships as frigates while some countries classifies them as destroyers.

Etc

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 11:41am On Oct 01, 2019
jln115:
will give a more detailed answer tonight but for now will leave it here:

The Nigerian defence industry has made tremendous progress in only a couple of years. And honestly I feel with enough backing from the government can become a major industry and strong competition for South Africa's defence industry.
I will be waiting for your response.

Thanks for the initial. I think it's a win-win if Nigeria and South-Africa do well.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 01, 2019
APC is generally used for mobility , behind leading armour columns.

IFV is generally used for mobility and fire support along armour columns.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 01, 2019
TayserMahri:

Precisely. Same argument we are having between APCs and MRAPs.
let's just agree to disagree on the frigate vs Destroyer debate.

But MRAPs are always APCs.... That's not negotiable.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 01, 2019
nemesis8u:
APC is generally used for mobility

IFV is generally used for mobility and fire support

yeah bro we not debating that cheesy wink

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 11:44am On Oct 01, 2019
TayserMahri:

Ezugwu is a MRAP. No two ways about it.
But it does not have MRAP design. I think it's a APC that can deflect mines. Look at it.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:45am On Oct 01, 2019
jln115:
no its not though an APC is an APC and an IFV is an IFV.

You said it yourself IFVs provide direct fire support and apc dont

Not at all, an APC with a gun in excess of 20 mm is effectively an IFV based on the fact that it can provide direct fire support due to its superior autocannons. All IFVs provide direct fire support. So basically I should have said an APC CAN be an IFV.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 11:46am On Oct 01, 2019
TayserMahri:

An APC with a cannon in excess of 20 mm is an IFV. That is according to the CFE standards. I mean APCs can barely support troops directly when faced with heavier artillery. They are not tanks. They cannot withstand direct fire.
OK, thank you for this. I understand better now.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:52am On Oct 01, 2019
jln115:
let's just agree to disagree on the frigate vs Destroyer debate.

But MRAPs are always APCs.... That's not negotiable.

The frigate destroyer debate is exactly the APC MRAP one. If we cant agree on the frigate-destroyer then we wont agree on the MRAP-APC. The high CoG (center of gravity) of MRAPs automatically disqualifies it as an APC. MRAPs typically cannot even climb steep hills compared to APCs.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:02pm On Oct 01, 2019
kabe1:

But it does not have MRAP design. I think it's a APC that can deflect mines. Look at it.

Just look at its center of gravity and compare it to the Boomerang K-16 APC below. The Ezugwu MRAP cannot carry troops to all terrain which makes it NOT APC in my opinion, among other factors. APCs take troops just about anywhere. Ezugwu can deflect mines obviously and that makes it a MRAP not an APC. Note the difference in:

MRAP: Mine Resistant Ambush Protected
APC: Armored Personnel Carrier

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 12:08pm On Oct 01, 2019
TayserMahri:

Just look at its center of gravity and compare it to the Boomerang K-16 APC below. The Ezugwu MRAP cannot carry troops to all terrain which makes it NOT APC in my opinion, among other factors. APCs take troops just about anywhere. Ezugwu can deflect mines obviously and that makes it a MRAP not an APC. Note the difference in:

MRAP: Mine Resistant Ambush Protected
APC: Armored Personnel Carrier
The K-16 Boomerang is a beast of a vehicle, wow!!

I get your point.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 01, 2019
kabe1:

The K-16 Boomerang is a beast of a vehicle, wow!!

I get your point.

Yea, its also amphbious. Check those waterjets at the rear tongue kiss I think everyone would/should consider this a personnel carrier because it can carry troops anywhere. MRAPs like Ezugwu are very limited to the local areas (what we would call patrols), preferably non-mountainous flat ones - and am not in any way trying to degrade Ezuguwu. Its a great invention from the Nigerian Defense forces and should help minimize casualties. Though I am not sure about the latter. You asked me about my view on why the Nigerian army is struggling with insurgency and I avoided that to avoid turning the thread on its head tongue

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 01, 2019
Chinook Drifting ?? Pretty dope tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtZpcUj_wqQ

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 12:53pm On Oct 01, 2019
TayserMahri:

Yea, its also amphbious. Check those waterjets at the rear tongue kiss I think everyone would/should consider this a personnel carrier because it can carry troops anywhere. MRAPs like Ezugwu are very limited to the local areas (what we would call patrols), preferably non-mountainous flat ones - and am not in any way trying to degrade Ezuguwu. Its a great invention from the Nigerian Defense forces and should help minimize casualties. Though I am not sure about the latter. You asked me about my view on why the Nigerian army is struggling with insurgency and I avoided that to avoid turning the thread on its head tongue
Bro, there nothing wrong with giving an unbiased assessment without prejudice.

Kenya, Egypt are also struggling with Insurgencies.

I was only asking for your opinion, if you feel it would be best to avoid the question, that's fine.

The Russians have been developing military equipment for hundreds of years, the K-16 is in a class of it's own.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 12:59pm On Oct 01, 2019
Hailstorm45:
Algeria
Another kilo submarine exercise, this time firing at a ground target
https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=113&v=kDiJLgYG8aM
Wow!!!

This is incredible.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 1:00pm On Oct 01, 2019
Algerian1:
Algerian navy exercise this days ,Kalibr cruse missile launched from kilo 636 M submarines to a ground target at 290 km

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41F3Gvh50E0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDiJLgYG8aM

Kalibr, this is the Russian cruise missile right?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 01, 2019
kabe1:

Bro, there nothing wrong with giving an unbiased assessment without prejudice.

Kenya, Egypt are also struggling with Insurgencies.

I was only asking for your opinion, if you feel it would be best to avoid the question, that's fine.

The Russians have been developing military equipment for hundreds of years, the K-16 is in a class of it's own.

Is it hundreds of years really? I think they started it in the Soviet era.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 1:02pm On Oct 01, 2019
TayserMahri:

Is it hundreds of years really? I think they started it in the Soviet era.
How about the time of the Tsars?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 01, 2019
kabe1:

How about the time of the Tsars?

What notable weapons did they make back then?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 1:29pm On Oct 01, 2019
TayserMahri:

What notable weapons did they make back then?
Muskets.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 1:38pm On Oct 01, 2019
I just came across this. Looks like a mine-roller attached to a lorry.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by shadowprimezero: 1:55pm On Oct 01, 2019
Looks like the SANDF is intensifying military internal security deployments. Isn't this a bit of an overkill or is the situation really that bad?

https://twitter.com/TrafficSA/status/1178904729872670720
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:56pm On Oct 01, 2019
kabe1:

Then by definition its a MRAP!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 01, 2019
TayserMahri:

1.Not at all, an APC with a gun in excess of 20 mm is effectively an IFV based on the fact that it can provide direct fire support due to its superior autocannons. All IFVs provide direct fire support. 2.So basically I should have said an APC CAN be an IFV.
1. literally my exact responds to kabe1, but since you put a cannon on it it's not an APC anymore!!

2.Exactly!! It's all about the role not necessarily the platform, but certain designs will be better suited to one role above thee other.......putting a cannon on a Casspir wont make it a better IFV than a Ratel, since it was specifically designed to be an APC from the start were as the Ratel was designed as an IFV from the start.

Some countries however use only one platform for some of their APC,IFV and even Tank designs. The Namer is based on the Merkava IV and comes in both an APC, IFV and obviously the Merkava tank variants. The Armata from Russia is another great example of one platform fulfilling different roles

Pic: APC
Pic 2 IFV
Pic 3 Tank

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1934) (1935) (1936) (1937) (1938) (1939) (1940) ... (2853) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.